Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 315657 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #825 on: December 05, 2013, 07:28:20 AM »
D.: It is said in books that one should cultivate all the good or daivic qualities in order to prepare oneself for Self-Realisation.

Sri Bhagavan : All good or daivic qualities are included in Jnana and all bad asuric  qualities are included in ajnana. When Jnana comes, all ajnana goes and all daivic qualities come automatically. If a man is a Jnani he cannot utter a lie or do anything wrong. It is, no doubt, said in some books that one should cultivate one quality after another and thus prepare for ultimate Moksha, but for those who follow the Jnana or Vichara Marga, their sadhana is itself quite enough for acquiring all daivic qualities ; they need not do anything else.

-- from " DAY BY DAY WITH BHAGAVAN ", PP. 274--276
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #826 on: December 11, 2013, 05:49:59 PM »
Ramana Maharshi
If there is a goal to be reached it cannot be permanent. The goal must already be there. We seek to reach the goal with the ego, but the goal exists before the ego. What is in the goal is even prior to our birth, that is, to the birth of the ego. Because we exist the ego appears to exist too. If we look on the Self as the ego then we become the ego, if as the mind we become the mind, if as the body we become the body.

It is the thought which builds up sheaths in so many ways. The shadow on the water is found to be shaking. Can anyone stop the shaking of the shadow? If it would cease to shake you would not notice the water but only the light. Similarly take no notice of the ego and its activities, but see only the light behind. The ego is the thought `I'. The true `I' is the Self.

Q: If it is just a question of giving up ideas then it is only one step to realization.

A: Realization is already there. The state free from thoughts is the only real state. There is no such action as realization. Is there anyone who is not realizing the Self ? Does anyone deny his own existence? Speaking of realization, it implies two selves - the one to realize, the other to be realized. What is not already realized is sought to be realized. Once we admit our existence, how is it that we do not know our Self ?
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #827 on: December 13, 2013, 09:41:35 AM »

Once I asked Bhagavan why, for no apparent reason, one sometimes feels composed and cheerful, sometimes restless and unusually active, and sometimes lazy and languid.

Bhagavan replied: "In man the three gunas of nature (prakriti) are in constant movement. When sattva comes to the fore, one is quiet and cheerful; when rajas predominates, one is restless; when tamas is uppermost, one is languid and cheerless."

"How to get over their influence?" I asked.

"By becoming a gunatita (transcending the gunas)," he replied.

"How to become a gunatita?"

"By realizing the Self," Bhagavan concluded.

-The Recollections of N.Balarama Reddy

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #828 on: December 13, 2013, 07:48:24 PM »
BENEFITS & NECESSITY OF SANDHYAVANDANAM

The essential purpose of creation of Varnas and Asramas by Iswara is that people should properly observe the dharmas enunciated in Vedas and Dharma Sastras and thereby help in the well being of all beings. Out of the many duties of Dvijas (twice-born), Sandhyopasanam is one, which is the most important, very fruitful and in fact the root of the characteristic of being a Dvija. For the tree of Dvija, the base root is Sandhyopasanam; the branches, the Vedas; the dharmas proclaimed therein, the leaves. It is said that if the root, viz. Sandhyopasanam is cut off, the tree will be destroyed, having lost the branches and the leaves. While
enunciating its benefit, Veda does not limit it to long life, good health, sons, wealth etc., but says that the
performer will attain all aspects of good life. Its purport is that one can reap all benefits through just
Sandhyopasanam and that the benefits that accrue by observing various other dharmas are in fact due to it only, as those who perform Sandhyopasanam are alone eligible to perform those dharmas.

Vyasa says that one who has failed to perform Sandhyopasanam is always impure. He has no right to
perform any karmas. He will not gain benefits of any karmas he may do.

Appayya Dikshitendra says that having failed to perform Sandhyopasanam, if one observes other dharmas, it is like decorating oneself without wearing any dress on the waist.

Manu says that Rishis enjoyed long life, superior intellect, lofty fame and radiant brilliance by performing Sandhyopasanam for long time. Dharma says that those who perform Sandhya in unbroken way are not touched by sin and attain to immortal Brahmalokam; through Sandhya one can get excellent living in this world, followed by everlasting bliss. There is an explanatory story in the Veda. A group of thirty crore of Rakshasas, named Mandehas, on the strength of boon obtained from Brahmadeva as a result of penance, come running with great speed in order to swallow Bhagavan Surya and fight intensely with him every day. When Dvijas offer Argya by chanting Gayatri mantra during Sandhya times, the consecrated Argya water turns into Vajrayudha and casts those Rakshasas into Aruna Island. Surya’s light brings well being to the world. For every good aspect, there is in nature an obstacle. There is an obstacle, not clear to our senses, to the light of Surya also. Researchers in Physics and Geology have measured the light of Surya as well its dullness scientifically. To remove the dullness and obstacle to the physical powers through the powers of chant of mantra and meditation is part of our procedures of Mantra Sastra. Of mantras, Veda mantras are beginningless. It appears that this principle is alluded to in the explanatory story mentioned above. Bhagavan Surya is thus saved and the world attains well being. The three Gods, Brahma, Vishnu and Sankara, other Devas and Maharishis like Valakhilyas are performing this Argya. Not doing this amounts to the sin of killing Surya. Not doing this worship, one gets the birth of ghost, blind during the day and never experiencing Surya’s light. Sastras teach in many ways that Sandhyopasana should definitely be performed and that persons not doing it lose the characteristic of Dvija and become ‘Patitas’ (the fallen beings).

The absolute necessity of Sandhyopasana is clear from
the final teaching that even if Dvija leaves the three Vedas and many dharmas and performs Sandhyopasana
(chanting of Gayatri) at least, he averts the fear of Narakas etc. and attains to the fearless state of Moksha(Liberation).

(VEDA DHARMA SASTRA PARIPALANA SABHA (Regd.), Kumbhakonam, Publication No.45)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #829 on: December 22, 2013, 08:51:27 PM »
GUIDELINES FOR SANDHYAVANDANAM

One becomes eligible to do Sandhyopasana by getting
up before Arunodaya (twilight), attending to calls of nature, purifying the body etc. as laid down by the shastras, brushing the teeth and taking bath. Even in times when it is not possible to bathe by dipping in river or with hot water from a bucket, one of ten different forms of bath should be undertaken. (In addition to water, the other nine forms are: Aagneyam, Vaarunam, Braahmam, Vaayavyam, Divyam, Maanasam, Paarthivam, Kaapilam and Saarasvatam). Karmas mentioned in texts of dharma like Veda do not purify one who does not practise Achara (basic rules of conduct).

After bath, one should wear dry clothes, apply religious marks (pundras) on forehead etc., wash feet, have upavita (sacred thread), do Achamanam
twice as per rules and perform Sandhyopasanam facing east (or north). There is a Tamil adage meaning “Offer (Argya) without seeing (the Sun in the morning), without angularity (at noon when Sun is straight up) and with seeing (before Sunset in
evening)”. Sandhyopasanam must be done before Sunrise in the morning. In case of inconvenience, it
should be done at least within 3 ¾ nazhigas (1½ hours) after Sunrise after performing Pranayama as atonement.

Maadhyahnikam must be done after 11¼ nazhigas (10.30 a.m.). If it is not convenient to do it before Sun travels westward, it should be done at least before evening.

In the evening Sandhya, Argya should be given when the Sun’s zone is half set and upasthanam should be done as soon as stars rise. It should be done at least before close of Pradosha kala (i.e. 3¾ nazhigas, i.e. 1½ hours after Sunset).

Even during impure times like Sutaka (child birth), Sandhyopasana should be done, chanting mantras mentally. Gobila Smriti says that at times when Sandhyopasana has to be done with wet clothes on, Gayatri mantra alone should be chanted (while on the bank of river). If wet cloth is squeezed and blown 7 times, it is equal to dry cloth. It is best to chant Gayatri 1008 times; it is laid down that it should be chanted at least 108, 54, 28, 27 or 10 times.

In Sandhyopasana, Dhyanam (meditation) is important. In the morning Sandhya, one has to meditate that he is same as Sandhya Devata, who is Aditya Deva of red colour and named Gayatri. In the noon prayer, he mediates that he is same as Devata of white colour, of the form of Rudra and named Savitri. In the evening, he meditates that he is same as Sandhya Devata, who is Aditya Deva of black colour, of the form of Vishnu and named Saraswati.

Some say that four parts of Sandhyopasana, viz. offering Argya, meditating as mentioned above, chanting Gayatri and doing upasthanam, are important. In the Mahabharata war, Dharmaraja,etc all did meditation alone scrupulously, when they were unable to do Prokshanam (sprinkling),etc as water was not available.
From this it is clear that meditation (dhyanam) is very important. Further in view of the fact that Dharmaraja,etc did not leave Sandhyopasana completely even in times of danger to life and did dhyanam at least, it is certain that people, who are not in situations of emergency of that type, should perform all aspects of
Sandhyopasana in proper time as per rules laid down.

It is good to meditate on Rishi, chandas, Devata and Viniyogam of different mantras; it is beneficial to
meditate on the meaning of mantras too. It is very good
to understand and perform Bhutasuddhi, Pranaprathishtha, mudras etc. The greatness of Pranayama is immeasurable. It is important even for healthy life in this world.

Courtesy- VEDA DHARMA SASTRA PARIPALANA SABHA (Regd.), Publication no 45.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #830 on: December 23, 2013, 04:52:12 PM »
MEETING BHAGAVAN

I was a school teacher in Ooregaum. After my retirement I settled down in Bangalore. I first came to know about the greatness of Bhagavan in 1918. Immediately I went to Tiruvannamalai and met him at the Skandasram. He enquired about my name and the place from which I had come, and graciously asked me to partake of food at the Ashram.
His darshan, his gracious enquiry, his affectionate feeding, had a tremendous impact which cannot be adequately described in words. Just as a magnet attracts a needle, I got attracted to him. Thereafter until Bhagavan’s mahasamadhi I used to visit and stay with him whenever I got an opportunity.

A few months after my first visit, I took my wife with me. Bhagavan, with great love made us sit on a platform and served us food with his own divine hands. I cannot adequately praise the rich sweetness of the holy prasadam we ate from his hands. My wife often used to feel
sick and could not eat any food. When we consulted the doctors they said that hers was a case of tuberculosis and hence nothing could be done. However, one day Bhagavan appeared in her dream and blessed her. Thereafter, to the great surprise of all, she was completely cured of her disease without any medical treatment.

In the evening, we felt an intense desire to worship Bhagavan’s holy feet. Even though it was against the custom of the Ashram, and his disciples would not permit this, Bhagavan out of his abundant mercy knowing our ardent desire brought about a situation wherein those present went out for sometime for one reason or another. And we could offer pada puja to our heart’s content.

But when I again went in 1923, he firmly declined repetition of the puja as was done by us earlier. It looked as though Bhagavan avoided traditional worship in view of the increasing number of visitors, who could also have asked for the same privilege. Moreover, Bhagavan was very much against worshipping his physical form in any manner.

N. Ramachandra Rao authored Sri Ramana’s first biography in Kannada.

FACE TO FACE

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #831 on: December 24, 2013, 01:12:24 PM »
If you ask "Who in this world is rich or who poor?" the answer is that he alone is rich who is rid of desires, and whose heart is full of contentment. Lacking this quality, the others are indeed poor.
It is best, therefore, to uphold the ideal of contentment and lead a happy and prosperous life. - Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #832 on: December 25, 2013, 09:18:34 AM »
The Teachings of Ramana Maharshi on Vichara v/s Mantra Japa

Visitor: I am taught that Mantra Japam is very potent in practice.

Bhagavan: The Self is the greatest of all mantras and goes on automatically and eternally. If you are not aware of this internal mantra, you should take to it consciously as japam, which is attended with effort, to ward off all other thoughts. By constant attention to it, you will eventually become aware of the internal mantra, which is the state of Realization and is effortless. Firmness in this awareness will keep you continually and effortlessly in the current, however much you may be engaged in other activities. Listening to Vedic chanting and mantras has the same result as conscious repetitions of japam — its rhythm is the japam.

Visitor: As far as I can see it, it is impossible to realize the Self until one has completely succeeded in preventing the rushing thoughts. Am I right?

Bhagavan: Not exactly. You do not need to prevent other thoughts. In deep sleep you are entirely free from thoughts, because the 'I-thought' is absent. The moment the 'I-thought' rises on waking, all other thoughts rush out spontaneously. The wisest thing for one to do is therefore to catch hold of this leading thought, the 'I-thought', and dissect it — who and what it is —giving thereby no chance to other thoughts to distract one. There lies the true value of the vichara and its efficacy in mind control.

— from Guru Ramana, Chapt. XI, Meditation
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 09:21:17 AM by atmavichar100 »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #833 on: December 25, 2013, 12:18:26 PM »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Talk on Swami Vivekananda by Sri Nochur Venkatraman on 29 12 2013
« Reply #834 on: December 28, 2013, 07:05:02 AM »
Friends,
There is a talk -'A Rare Spiritual Giant' by Nochur Sri Venkatraman at R K Mutt,Mylapore,Chennai,scheduled on 29th of December as part of the ongoing 150th Birth Anniversary Celebrations.

Those interested may refer:

http://www.chennaimath.org/swami-vivekananda-rata-yatra-8294

Namaskar.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: December 28, 2013, 05:56:35 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

I tried to access this page,but couldn't. Not sure why,i think there is some problem with the link.

With love and prayers,

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #836 on: December 29, 2013, 06:02:51 AM »
Jewel,
The link works for the ipad and should be okay for the PC as well.You may try google search with the key words -Ramakrishna mutt Chennai and get to this piece of information.year long programs are organized by the R K Mutt and Mission on the occasion of the 150th Birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda,covering all walks of life.

Namaskar

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #837 on: January 16, 2014, 01:10:16 PM »
From Spiritual Stories

THE GARLIC PLANT

While Bhagavan was perusing the monthly journal Grihalakshmi he began to laugh and handed the journal to Suri Nagamma as she was leaving the hall, saying, “The greatness of garlic is described in it. Please read it.”

The article contained recipes for making chutneys and pickles and in conclusion it stated that there is nothing equal to it in its greatness and its benefit to the body. When Suri Nagamma returned to the hall in the afternoon, Sri Bhagavan inquired if she had read the article and said, “People say it is very good for health. Really it is so. It cures rheumatism and gives strength to the body. For children it acts like amrit (nectar). Garlic is also known as amrit.”

A devotee asked how it got that name. Sri Bhagavan replied, “There is a curious story about it,” and began telling the following story.

AS IS WELL known, when gods (devas) and demons (rakshasas) churned the ocean, amrit came out of it. When the rakshasas were running away with the vessel containing amrit, the devas appealed to Vishnu. Vishnu came on to the scene in the shape of Mohini (enchantress), and offered to resolve their quarrel by serving amrit to them all. They agreed. While serving it to the gods first, it appeared that there might not be enough to go round for the demons. One of the latter got into the line of the gods, unobserved by Mohini, and was swallowing the amrit, when the Sun and Moon noticed it and gave her the hint. She threw the ladle, with which the amrit was being served, at the demon in such a way as to cut off his head. The ladle became the Chakra (an invincible lethal weapon of Vishnu) and cut off his head.

But as the amrit had already gone down his throat, the head became a graha (planet) and has since been taking vengeance on the Sun and Moon at the time of an eclipse.

That is the story. Now, when the head of the demon was severed, the trunk fell down, and in the process, a few drops of amrit fell on the ground. It is said that those drops became the garlic plant. That is why it is said that garlic has some of the properties of amrit. It is very good for the body. But since it also has the touch of the demon, it has tamasic qualities too, which when eaten affect the mind. Hence, it is forbidden for sadhakas.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #838 on: January 25, 2014, 07:25:46 AM »
Friends,
I wish to share the spirited speech by Swami Bodhamayananda on Swami Vivekananda:
"This was during the Seminar on "India's Growth Story - Challenges & Road Ahead" conducted on Nov 24 2013 at JNTU Auditorium, Kukatpally, Hyderabad. The Aashirvachan at the event were given by Swami Bodhamayananda (Director, Institute of Human Excellence, Ramakrishna Math, Hyderabad)".

The video link on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkplV3Yq568

Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 26, 2014, 12:47:29 PM »
The Ocean does not forget that it is a wave,
but the wave forgets that it is an Ocean.
This is "why" there is manifestation;
for sake of play this forgetfulness arises.
The world is only for celebration.
Manifestation is just a cosmic drama to be enjoyed.
There is only play and it is not existent,
and continues because whatever you think so it becomes.
This manifestation was created by you
and it will be destroyed by you.

The first thought is "I".
Then arises "my," which is ego,
and then comes all manifestation.
Time, mind, manifestation is projected out of "I"
which is itself the projection required to manifest the play.
Undress yourself of these things
and find where "I" rises from.

You are Shiva if you do not project "I",
and your Shakti is the projection by which to play.
Consciousness is the source of this play,
of the mind, and That is all.

~ Sri H. W. L. Poonja (Papaji)

...from "The Truth Is"