Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 315675 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #810 on: November 17, 2013, 09:39:53 AM »
Devotee: Is a Jnani different from a yogi? What is the difference?

Ramana Maharshi: Srimad Bhagavad Gita says that a Jnani is the true yogi and also a true bhakta. Yoga is only a sadhana and jnana is the siddhi.

Devotee:
Is yoga necessary?

Ramana Maharshi:
It is a sadhana. It will not be necessary after jnana is attained. All the sadhanas are called yogas, e.g., Karma yoga; Bhakti yoga; Jnana yoga; Ashtanga yoga. What is yoga? Yoga means `union'. Yoga is possible only when there is `viyoga' (separation). The person is now under the delusion of viyoga. This delusion must be removed. The method of removing it is called yoga.

Devotee: Which method is the best?

Ramana Maharshi: It depends upon the temperament of the individual. Every person is born with the samskaras of past lives. One of the methods will be found easy for one person and another method for another. There is no definiteness about it.

~ from 'Talk 580'
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #811 on: November 18, 2013, 10:26:24 AM »
HELPING OTHERS

Cast all claims, aspirations, desires to serve humanity and schemes to reform the world upon the Universal Power which sustains this universe. He is not a fool. He will do what is required. Lose the sense, 'I am doing this.' Get rid of egoism. ...

Have compassionate love for others but keep it secret; do not make a display of it or talk a out it. If your desires are fulfilled, do not be elated, and if you are frustrated, do not be disappointed. The elation may be deceptive; it should be
checked, for initial joy may end in final grief. After all, what­
ever happens YOU remain unaffected, just as you are.

Q: But how can I help another with his problems?
M: What is this talk of another? — there is only the One. Try to realize there is no 'I', no you, no he, only the ONE SELF which is all.
If you believe in the problem of another, you are believing in something outside the Self. You will help him best by realizing the oneness of everything, rather than by outward activity.

Conscious Immortality
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: November 18, 2013, 02:00:42 PM »
Do not mourn upon past..
Do not fear about the future..
Live the present without delay..
You will be healthy..
You will be pleasant..!

Buddhist Teaching

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #813 on: November 20, 2013, 07:03:24 AM »
If we are demoralized, sad and only complain, we’ll not solve our problems. If we only pray for a solution, we’ll not solve our problems. We need to face them, to deal with them without violence, but with confidence - and never give up. If you adopt a non-violent approach, but are also hesitant within, you’ll not succeed. You have to have confidence and keep up your efforts - in other words, never give up. ~ Dalai Lama

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: November 22, 2013, 09:04:25 AM »
“Wherever a person goes, his deeds, like a shadow, will follow.”~ Gautama Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #815 on: November 24, 2013, 07:18:35 AM »
“To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.”~ Thích Nhất Hạnh

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: November 25, 2013, 08:43:19 AM »
ABOUT SADHANA

The question is always asked in this respect, if it's necessary to do sadhana in order to awaken. Is it necessary to spend years in yoga techniques and pranayama, breathing exercises, to sit in meditation, to think of certain things, to pray? Is all this necessary? What do you think? Who can tell me? Student: It's not necessary, but it sure is helpful. Robert: That's actually a good answer. My question is, therefore, to whom is it helpful? Who is getting satisfaction from sadhana? Only your ego. It is true to an extent you’re subduing your ego, but you and I know many people who’ve been doing sadhana for a hundred years and nothing happened. As a matter of fact some of you become worse. It's paradoxical. For some people it causes them to move ahead. But it's all in relative terms, and as we all know by now, relative terms do not exist. So for whom is sadhana? Again it's for the mind and the ego. If you think it's helping, by all means continue. But remember I said, "You think it's helping." If you stop thinking you do not have to do any sadhana. I suppose sadhana is necessary as long as you believe you are the mind and the body. Again, after all, who is doing the spiritual disciplines? Does the self need to do that? Does consciousness need to do discipline? Does absolute reality need discipline? What needs discipline? The mind and the body. Therefore the more you are attached to the mind and body the more you have to do sadhana. Does that make sense? Student: Sadly, yes. Robert: So I won't say to you, "Stop doing it," due to the fact that many of you have a strong connection with the body and your mind. As long as you do I suppose sadhana makes you sort of quiet for a while and gives you its own experience of some peace that doesn't last too long and causes, for some people, nirvakalpa samadhi. But if you're an aspiring jnani, what's the purpose of sadhana? You simply ask yourself, "Who needs to do this? I do. What is this I, this personal I? Where did it come from? How did it get here? Who gave it birth?" As you ask yourself these questions, that is your sadhana. That's all you need to do. But you continue doing this 24 hours a day. That's what it means by praying without ceasing. As you meet the challenges of the day you keep asking yourself, "To whom does this come? Who is feeling this condition? Who is going through this situation? Who feels emotional?" As you keep doing this all day long, you will find that you become more peaceful, you become happy, and your life becomes better. That's really the only sadhana you need. But of course if you cannot do that then you have to do whatever you have to do. Whatever helps you, that's what you have to do. I suppose that's why it says that jnana marga, atma-vichara, is for the mature soul, one who can do this regularly, without reverting back to Hatha Yoga or Raja Yoga, or other Yogas. They all have their place, but self-inquiry is the royal way. It's the short cut. But it's up to you. It's your choice. And of course self-inquiry is merely to quiet the mind. It's a fast method to quiet the mind. For when you ask, "To whom does this come? It comes to me," and you hold on to that me by inquiring, "Who am I? What is I?" and saying "I - I" to yourself, "I - I," your mind becomes quieter and quieter. The deeper you go within yourself the quieter you become. And that's your sadhana. That's all you have to do.

ROBERT ADAMS

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #817 on: November 26, 2013, 07:00:44 AM »
Friends,
Continuing on the way to deepen our devotion,it is important to realize this-There is no knowing in what form or in what way the Guru may manifest.Saint Tulasidas says:

“Tulsi ya sansar main, sab se miliye dhay,
Na Jaane Kis Bhes mein Narayan Mil Jaay”

Tulsidas, says that in this world meet everyone with love, for you do not know in what dress/appearance the Lord Narayan will come before you.

I wish to share this simple incident when a seeker discovered the deep import.Here is an excerpt from a wonderful article on the Life and teachings of Saint Kabirdas,Kabir : The Man, The Myth, The Mystic, The Master ...  by Maalok  :

Kabir speaks to us in a direct and uninhibited tone that invariably shakes us out of our slumber-like existence. His candid and frank style is so beautiful and refreshingly crisp. The instructions are simple yet deep, obvious yet multi-layered, challenging yet caring, powerful yet empowering, irreverent yet deeply devotional. Indeed, Kabir, lived what he preached, or, more accurately, preached what he lived. Like a true master, he always spoke the highest truth regardless of the circumstances. Kabir’s completeness and humility becomes obvious in how he addresses every seeker as a Sadhu and himself as the commoner, Kabira. Sometimes one gets the feeling that the conversational teachings of Kabir, are actually a dialog between Kabir, the Master and Kabir, the disciple, inside of him. Despite his open criticism of dogmas and sects, Kabir is very embracing of every seeker and includes himself in that category. It’s a bond of friendship that Kabir extends to everybody by his simple calling – “Kahat Kabir Suno Bhai Sadho…”4. In this simple way he affirms the intrinsic divinity in each of us and opens up an intimate and direct channel of communication with each one of us.

In conclusion, I would like to share with you my personal encounter with Kabir – one that changed me profoundly:

I was visiting my parents in India on vacation. One of Kabir’s songs was playing in the background on the portable boom box. I walked into the kitchen and noticed that the middle-aged maid, who was cleaning the utensils, was using her saree to wipe her tears. I could not understand why she was crying and I did not feel it appropriate for me to ask her. After a few minutes she herself spoke softly in her village Hindi dialect – “Bhaia, yeh theek hi toh bolta hai. Bhagwan ka kare jab hum hi bhul gai usko?” [Brother, he (referring to Kabir’s words) is speaking the truth. What can God do if I myself have forgotten him?]. Intrigued by her comment, I asked her if she understood the meaning of what he was saying. She simply replied, “Haan bhaiya, theek bolta hai” [Yes brother, he speaks the truth]. Her simple reply instantaneously threw my intellectual understanding into insignificance. The words of Kabir became less important than the truth of her realization. Kabir had manifested himself through her. In that moment Kabir Das taught me Truth-101 through that divine lady. I got a true introduction and initiation to the experience of Kabir.

May 20, 2002

I warmly recommend the wonderful essay on Saint Kabirdas.The Poems of this Great Saint are also beautifully rendered in this site and is a real treat.Those interested may lookup:
http://www.boloji.com/index.cfm?md=Content&sd=EssaysDetails&essayID=1

Namaskar

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: November 26, 2013, 07:07:54 AM »
Presently we have to train our unconscious to function better. Then we can depend upon our instincts, that will be noble instincts. At this moment, our instincts are very impure.
When we have practiced for a long time, living the higher values of life and following the instructions of great masters or the Scriptures, that is when you have trained your unconscious.
Then when a situation comes, you can to an extent, depend on your inner voice.

~ Swami Chinmayananda talking about trustworthiness of instincts.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: November 26, 2013, 07:09:40 AM »
Friends,
Continuing on the ways of deepening our devotion-it is important to be open and receptive to see the Guru or God in everyone and in all places.
Here is an excerpt from The Gospel Of Sri Ramakrishna:

The Mother reveals to me that She Herself has become everything. One day I was coming from the pine-grove toward the Panchavati. A dog followed me. I stood still for a while near the Panchavati. The thought came to my mind that the Mother might say something to me through that dog.

If we are receptive,the Guru will talk to us through the Vegetable Vendor,or the street sweeper or our Flat Watchman-for in Truth the Guru is everywhere and in all things.

Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #820 on: November 30, 2013, 06:31:10 AM »
Do not believe a word I say. Experiment on yourself. You do not have to go anywhere. Just where you are yourself at home, begin to spend more time diving within yourself, watching, witnessing. When thoughts pop up, simply ask yourself, "To whom do these thoughts come? To me. I think them. Who am I? What is the source of the I?" As you do this, my friends, I can assure you a marvelous change will take place in your life, sooner or later, and you will become free.

~ Robert Adams

...from "I Am" - February 10, 1991

deepa

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: November 30, 2013, 08:41:20 AM »
Presently we have to train our unconscious to function better. Then we can depend upon our instincts, that will be noble instincts. At this moment, our instincts are very impure.
When we have practiced for a long time, living the higher values of life and following the instructions of great masters or the Scriptures, that is when you have trained your unconscious.
Then when a situation comes, you can to an extent, depend on your inner voice.

~ Swami Chinmayananda talking about trustworthiness of instincts.

Nice quote, atmavichar.
When I think about how situations/relationships turn out badly, it is because we rely too much on our brain to handle it. Obviously, brain has limitations and besides in the onslaught of ego/emotions, frequently, we either do wrong actions and handle good actions wrongly.
How do we train our unconscious/sub-conscious to function better?
- by diminishing ego,  by lowering expectations, by loving all, be accepting all?

I really want to be a state where I do the right things in the right way. Has anybody thought about it?

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #822 on: December 03, 2013, 08:45:38 AM »
Do not store useless information in your brain. Learn to unwind the mind. Then only you can fill the mind with divine thoughts. As all the dissipated mental rays are collected, you will gain new mental strength. Useless thoughts impede your spiritual growth. Obnoxious thoughts are stumbling blocks to spiritual advancement~Swami Sivananda

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #823 on: December 03, 2013, 01:43:49 PM »

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #824 on: December 04, 2013, 12:59:57 PM »
Praying for association with devotees

Will You not make me to live among Your real golden devotees instead of wasting my life by living among worst people, O Lord Sonachala Ramana, will You not look at my state with Your compassionate eyes ?.

Help me so that I may sprinkle the dust on me of the divine Feet of Your disciples who attained Atma Siddhi by performing tapas at Your Feet discarding all delusions, the dream of waking and all anxieties there in.

Dissolve and retain me in the experience of Your devotees who melted away even their bones in You, who immersed in the Heart by the well ripened sweet love which has never been seen before.

Sadhom.net
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya