Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 372989 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #795 on: October 27, 2013, 01:36:55 PM »
Yesterday, a sadhu came and sat in the Hall. He seemed anxious to speak to Bhagavan, but hesitant. After some time, he approached him and said, “Swami, it is said that the Self (atma), is all-pervading. Does that mean that it is in a dead body also?”

"Oho! So that is what you want to know?” rejoined Bhagavan. “And did the question occur to the dead body or to you?”

“To me,” said the sadhu.

Bhagavan: “When you are asleep do you question whether you exist or not? It is only after you wake up that you say you exist. In the dream state also, the Self exists. There is really no such thing as a dead or a living body. That which does not move we call dead, and that which has movement we call alive. In dreams you see any number of bodies, living and dead, and they have no existence when you wake up. In the same way this whole world, animate and inanimate, is non-existent. Death means the dissolution of the ego, and birth means the rebirth of the ego. There are births and deaths, but they are of the ego; not of you. You exist whether the sense of ego is there or not. You are its source, but not the ego-sense. Deliverance (mukti) means finding the origin of these births and deaths and demolishing the ego-sense to its very roots. That is deliverance. It means death with full awareness. If one dies thus, one is born again simultaneously and in the same place with Aham sphurana known as ‘Aham, Aham (I, I)’. One who is born thus, has no doubts whatsoever.”

-Letters from Sri Ramanasramam, by Suri Nagamma, 11th September, 1947
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 27, 2013, 06:54:29 PM »
When I was still new in the kitchen, I served Bhagavan with a few extra pieces of potato. Bhagavan got very angry. Each night, after the day’s work was over, the women who worked in the kitchen would collect around the Maharshi and ask permission to leave. Usually, he would exchange a few words with us, enquire who was accompanying us, whether we had a lantern, and so on. That evening he gave me a sign to come near and said, “You served me extra curry. I felt ashamed to eat more than the others. You should always serve me less than other people. The more you love my people, the more you love me.” The matter was closed. A good lesson was learnt and never forgotten.

-Face to Face with Sri Ramana Maharshi, by Shantammal, Head cook at the Ashram
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #797 on: October 29, 2013, 06:23:01 AM »
Devotee: What are the obstacles which hinder realisation of the Self?

M.: They are habits of mind (vasanas).

D.: How to overcome the mental habits (vasanas)?

M.: By realising the Self.

D.: That is a vicious circle.

M.: It is the ego which raises such difficulties, creating obstacles and then suffers from the perplexity of apparent paradoxes. Find out who makes the enquiries and the Self will be found.

-from Talk 13 of 'Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi'

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 30, 2013, 03:12:00 PM »

Here is a letter written by Shri VK Kuttan Menon, father of Pujya Gurudev Swami Chinmayananda to Swami Sivananda.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: November 04, 2013, 11:56:21 AM »
I feel this dialogue between Bhagavan and the visitor is the simplest and the best advice for those who are confused between effort and surrender . It is easy to say everything is God's will when things go fine in one's life but when we are confronted by death ,disease , misfortune ,accidents etc etc we are unable to have the same feeling . Here again Bhagavan does not criticize those who follow the intellectual path saying they will eventually understand that everything happens by God's will through slow trial and error method .

A visitor asked: Sri Bhagavan said last night that God is guiding us. Then why should we make an effort to do anything?

M.: Who asks you to do so? If there was that faith in the guidance of God this question would not have arisen.

D.: The fact is that God guides us. Then what is the use of these instructions to people?

M.: They are for those who seek instructions. If you are firm in your belief in the guidance of God, stick to it, and do not concern yourself with what happens around you. Furthermore, there may be happiness or misery. Be equally indifferent to both and abide in the faith of God. That will be so only when one’s faith is strong that God looks after all of us.

Mr. Chopra asked: “How shall I secure that firm faith?”

M.: Exactly. It is for such as these who want instructions. There are persons who seek freedom from misery. They are told that God guides all and so there need not be any concern about what happens. If they are of the best type they at once believe it and firmly abide by faith in God. But there are others who are not so easily convinced of the truth of the bare statement. They ask: “Who is God? What is His nature? Where is He? How can He be realised?” and so on. In order to satisfy them intellectual discussion is found necessary. Statements are made, their pros and cons are argued, and the truth is thus made clear to the intellect. When the matter is understood intellectually the earnest seeker begins to apply it practically. He argues at every moment, “For whom are these thoughts? Who am I?” and so forth, until he is well-established in the conviction that a Higher Power guides us. That is firmness of faith. Then all his doubts are cleared and he needs no further instructions.

Talk 596

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #800 on: November 05, 2013, 07:26:09 AM »
Sri Ramakrishna,The child of Divine Mother

The Master reached Dakshineswar and was in Bhavasamadhi. The devotees got evidence that his divine body should not be touched by one with a sore in one’s body The Master sat in the northern part of the music hall in front of the Mother and was thus singing the song. The devotees, some sitting, some standing, were charmed to listen to the song. In the course of singing, the Master went into ecstasy and stood up suddenly. The singing stopped. An extraordinary smile on his lips filled the place with bliss. The devotees were looking motionless on the holy person of the Master. When he saw that the Master’s body, inclined a little, junior Naren was going to hold it straight, lest he should fall down. But no sooner had he touched him than the Master screamed out in terrible pain. Finding that his touch was not then liked by the Master, he stood aloof, when Ramlal, the Master’s nephew, heard the scream from within the temple, came out quickly and caught hold of the Master’s person. The Master remained in that state for some time and after listening to the names of God came back to normal consciousness. But he was not able to stand in the natural way, as if he was dead drunk. His legs were trembling very much. In that condition he crawled down the steps on the northern side of the music hall to the courtyard of the temple and began to speak like a boy, “I shall not fall down, Mother; what do you say?” Seeing the Master then, one actually thought that he was a child of three or four years. Gazing at the Mother as he spoke those words and keeping his eyes fixed on Hers, he was confidently getting down the steps. Shall we see elsewhere such an attitude of wonderful reliance on God even in small matters?

Excerpt from Sri Ramakrishna,The Great Master by Swami Saradananda

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #801 on: November 08, 2013, 09:45:05 AM »
LISTENING WITHOUT EFFORT

You are now listening to me; you are not making an effort to pay attention, you are just listening; and if there is truth in what you hear, you will find a remarkable change taking place in you -- a change that is not premeditated or wished for, a transformation, a complete revolution in which the truth alone is master and not the creations of your mind. And if I may suggest it, you should listen in that way to everything -- not only to what I am saying, but also to what other people are saying, to the birds, to the whistle of a locomotive, to the noise of the bus going by. You will find that the more you listen to everything, the greater is the silence, and that silence is then not broken by noise. It is only when you are resisting something, when you are putting up a barrier between yourself and that to which you do not want to listen -- it is only then that there is a struggle.

~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

...from 'The Book of Life'

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #802 on: November 09, 2013, 09:51:36 AM »
Krishna/Friends,
Krishna has shared his thoughts on what he went through, during the difficult days in the Hospital caring for his beloved father.Elsewhere he has wondered what is to be done to deepen his Devotion to Arunachaleswara.
I shall post some of my recommendations here-These are something that I have always found as standing the Ground.They are not in response to what Krishna has posted,although they have a direct bearing on what he has expressed.
Whatever I am posting here is not intended to discredit anyone here or elsewhere-This is a spiritual Forum and not a social Forum,and I feel obligated to be brutally honest in examining some fundamentals-on the themes of Devotion,Prayer,Guru.The Recommendations are offered with a view that it may be of help in Sadhana-they are not meant to comfort.
With this preamble,I will begin my series of Posts.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #803 on: November 09, 2013, 10:11:56 AM »
Friends,
One of the first and foremost thing is to keep one's devotion a Secret.

This is what Lord Jesus says:

"And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words. Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him."

This is what Sri Ramakrishna says:
"Let me tell you that the less people know of your spiritual life, the better it will be for you. Devotees endowed with sattva meditate in a secluded corner or in a forest, or withdraw into the mind. Sometimes they meditate inside the mosquito net."

"There are many kinds of spiritual aspirants. Those endowed with sattva perform their spiritual practices secretly. They look like ordinary people, but they meditate inside the mosquito net."

"Sattvic bhakti is known to God alone. It makes no outward display. A man with such devotion loves privacy. Perhaps he meditates inside the mosquito net, where nobody sees him. When this kind of devotion is awakened, one hasn't long to wait for the vision of God. The appearance of the dawn in the east shows that the sun will rise before long."

"But a man endowed with sattva is quiet and peaceful. So far as dress is concerned, anything will do. He earns only enough money to give his stomach the simplest of food; he never flatters men to get money. His house is out of repair. He never worries about his children's clothing. He does not hanker for name and fame. His worship, charity, and meditation are all done in secret; people do not know, about them at all. He meditates inside his mosquito curtain. People think he doesn't sleep well at night and for that reason sleeps late in the morning. Sattva is the last step of the stairs; next is the roof."

What this means for the aspirant.He just will not talk about himself!How he was sad or Blissful,peaceful or otherwise,how he does his prayer or worship,who is his ishta,how he is singularly practising Nishta to his ishta,etc,etc.

So,Rule No1:If we wish to deepen our practice,just stop talking about oneself to others.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #804 on: November 09, 2013, 12:14:30 PM »
LIVING BY THE WORDS OF BHAGAVAN

My life with Bhagavan taught me the value of faith, obedience and surrender. When I obeyed Bhagavan’s words, or had complete faith that he would look after all my spiritual and physical needs, everything went well. When I tried to mold my own destiny (such as the time I went to live in the cave and the time I ran away to Polur) things went badly. Life’s lessons have thus taught me the value and the necessity of complete surrender. If one surrenders completely to Bhagavan; if one lives by his words, ignoring all others; if one has enough faith in Bhagavan to stop making plans about the future; if one can banish all doubts and worries by having faith in Bhagavan’s omnipotence – then, and only then, Bhagavan will bend and mold one’s circumstances, transforming them in such a way that one’s spiritual and physical needs are always satisfied.

Annamalai Swami

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #805 on: November 10, 2013, 07:16:01 PM »
Don't worry about methods. If you are sincere and honest, and have a true desire for freedom, even wrong methods will take you there. Therefore, give rise to the desire 100 percent, and the rest will take care of itself. What you are doing is not important, the end is important. You can do anything you like. The end must be that "I have to be free." You must be sincere, serious, and honest. Then don't worry about the methods. This inside Self is consciousness itself. If you do not know the correct method, it will lead you. Where you are arriving, it already knows who is coming, and it will go out to receive you in the proper way for you. You must be honest and never mind proper method.

~ H. W. L. Poonja (Papaji)

...from the book "Wake Up and Roar"

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: November 11, 2013, 04:33:48 PM »
Dear Sri Atmavichar,

Thank You very much for posting so beatiful excerpts! I love them all. Words of Jiddu Krishnamurti,Sri Annamalai Swami,and Papaji.

With love and prayers,

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: November 14, 2013, 09:46:53 PM »

"This man came to live near Calcutta, the capital of India, the most important university town in our country
which was sending out sceptics and materialists by the hundreds every year.
Yet many of these university men, sceptics and agnostics, used to come and listen to him.
I heard of this man, and I went to hear him.
He looked just like an ordinary man, with nothing remarkable about him.
He used the most simple language, and I thought, 'Can this man be a great teacher?'--crept near to him and asked him the question
which I had been asking others all my life: 'Do you believe in God, Sir?'
'Yes,' he replied.
 'Can you prove it, Sir?'
 'Yes.'
'How?'
'Because I see Him just as I see you here, only in a much intenser sense.'
 That impressed me at once. For the first time I found a man who dared to say that he saw God, that religion was a reality to be felt,
to be sensed in an infinitely more intense way than we can sense the world.
I began to go to that man, day after day, and I actually saw that religion could be given.
One touch, one glance, can change a whole life. "

Swami Vivekananda- My Master

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #808 on: November 15, 2013, 10:10:02 AM »
Sage of Kanchi

The Daksinamurthi who remains still is the one who dances the dance of bliss, who destroys the demon Tripura and who keeps roaming as a mendicant. After granting boons to his devotees he goes from place to place. He is still inwardly but is in a frenzy outwardly. If we manage to still ourselves inwardly we will be able to do so much outwardly.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: November 17, 2013, 08:23:02 AM »
Today Sun 17 Nov 2013 is the auspicious day of Guru Nanak Jyanthi . Guru Nanak Devji was a symbol of love, tolerance and compassion. His divine message of devotion to God, excellence of conduct and tolerance has timeless relevance for the mankind .My recent visit ( in Oct 2013)to Golden Temple in Amritsar ,Punjab and other Sacred Sikh Shrines around Amritsar was really a spiritually inspiring one and I was able to get a direct experience of what Guru Nanak and Other Sikh Gurus stood for and I am still immersed in that bliss .For those interested in understanding GuruNanak's true message kindly read Osho's book "The True Name -Talks of the Japuji Sahib of Guru Nanak" .
Spoken with authority, clarity, sharpness and humor, Osho’s insights into the JapuJi of Guru Nanak address both the timeless and timely concerns that tend to escape our notice in the clamor and overload of daily life. Osho's commentary is considered to be the best of all, even in the Sikh community.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 08:28:46 AM by atmavichar100 »