Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 350146 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #765 on: September 09, 2013, 09:50:37 PM »
Friends,
If our mind is filled with thoughts,we will not be in a position to see things as they are.We will only be over and over affirming and confirming what we already know and which is precious little.
Time to return to the Master's feet-Excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

One should not reason too much; it is enough if one loves the Lotus Feet of the Mother.Too much reasoning throws the mind into confusion. You get clear water if you drink from the surface of a pool. Put your hand deeper and stir the water, and it becomes muddy.Therefore pray to God for devotion.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #766 on: September 10, 2013, 07:33:14 AM »
Friends,
'Ananda KaLippu' is a wonderful composition of ThAyumAnavar.'Ananda KaLippu' means 'Joyous Exhuberance'.Here is one such Exhuberant Verse:

அருளால் எவையும்பார் என்றான் - அத்தை
      அறியாதே சுட்டிஎன் அறிவாலே பார்த்தேன்
இருளான பொருள்கண்ட தல்லால்-கண்ட
      என்னையுங் கண்டிலன் என்னேடி தோழி - சங்கர

Behold everything through Grace Said He-Not
knowing that,through my limited mind I saw
Other than seeing darkness-I did not see
myself who saw it as well!Lo!What is this!O Friend!-Refrain(Sankara Sankara SambO, Siva Sankara Sankara Sankara SambO)

Mind differentiates and divides;Grace unifies and integrates.Mind can seemingly piece together ideas and attempt to harmonize but will be caught up forever in its own contradictions.Grace simply helps us see unity.This is what Sri Ramakrishna has said in the previous post -'Therefore pray to God for devotion'

continued....
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:03:50 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #767 on: September 10, 2013, 08:12:26 AM »
Thayumanavar's 'Ananda kaLippu' continued...

என்னையுந் தன்னையும் வேறா - உள்ளத்
      தெண்ணாத வண்ணம் இரண்டற நிற்கச்
சொன்னது மோஒரு சொல்லே-அந்தச்
      சொல்லால் விளைந்த சுகத்தைஎன் சொல்வேன் - சங்கர

விளையுஞ் சிவானந்த பூமி - அந்த
      வெட்ட வெளிநண்ணித் துட்ட இருளாங்
களையைக் களைந்துபின் பார்த்தேன் - ஐயன்
      களையன்றி வேறொன்றுங் கண்டிலன் தோழி -     சங்கர

"Think not 'I' and 'Thou' as Two;
Stand as One in union inextricable"
All these, He said in One Word;
But how shall I describe the felicity
That was of that Word born?

The fertile land of Sivananda Bliss
To that Vast Void I went;
There I uprooted the evil weed of dark ignorance
And then I looked round again;
I saw nothing else
But the Lord's beauty
O, Maid! (Chorus)                                                         (Sankara Sankara SambO,Siva Sankara Sankara Sankara SambO)

Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #768 on: September 10, 2013, 02:11:34 PM »
Dhamma is not upheld by talking about it.
Dhamma is upheld by living in harmony with it."

~ The Buddha ~
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #769 on: September 10, 2013, 02:26:23 PM »
Mentally repeat, `Let all beings be happy; let all beings be peaceful; let all beings be blissful.' So do to the east, south, north and west. The more you do that the better you will feel yourself. You will find at last that the easiest way to make ourselves healthy is to see that others are healthy, and the easiest way to make ourselves happy is to see that others are happy. After doing that, those who believe in God should pray -- not for money, not for health, nor for heaven; pray for knowledge and light; every other prayer is selfish.

~ Swami Vivekananda
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #770 on: September 10, 2013, 02:34:51 PM »
Dhamma is not upheld by talking about it.
Dhamma is upheld by living in harmony with it."

~ The Buddha ~

I like that. :)
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #771 on: September 11, 2013, 10:31:11 AM »
My father was transferred to various remote places all over India to the North and East when we were at school in Chennai.He decided to be alone and the rest of the family stayed back in Chennai in the 60s.He cooked his own food,was absolutely dedicated to his work,very efficient ,did his sadhana -he used to carry a small copy of sivananda lahari written in his own hand and used to chant it while travelling in buses or trains.

The above quote is a from Ravi's comment to Anand in the other thread .
The highlighted portion is what I want to talk about .
1) regarding making hand written copies of divine texts
These days due to availability of Xerox , Printers , IPOD ,IPHONES , Laptops , Tablets etc we do not take effort to write in hand the divine hymns that we want to master and are content to listening them in our computer ,IPODs ,laptops etc or take a xerox copy or printout of the same the net and read it .No doubt it is a very good thing but real sadhana is when we really write out in our own hand what we want to memorize . Writing with our own hand involves all our senses to operate and we end up learning the divine hymns much faster and more clearer .
In the past they had no access to such technology devices and hence relied on making a original copy of the same with their own hand and in a way it was a great blessing .
I am also quite lazy in making hand written copies ( I started it few months back and then gave it up  thinking I have it in my IPOD ,Computer etc ) and after reading the above quote from Sri Ravi I feel I have to  restart the same .

2) regarding cooking one's own food

This is again a great sadhana in itself and I see many people suffering because they are unable to make simple meals for themselves .Either they are too dependent on their wives /maids /mothers and  if they are not available they resort to eating in hotels / ready made junk foods that is not only expensive ( in today's high inflation ) but also not good for health .
Once in a way eating outside is Ok for a change or when u are really busy etc but it should never be a regular habit .
Also some people over complicate their cooking by making many dishes and end up completely drained after cooking and also at the end they waste most of the food .
I read once Kanchi Paramacharya scolding a person who in his late 50s or so marrying for the second time ( after his first wife died ) just because he wants a  wife  to cook good food for him . He told that this guy is increasing his samsara just because he cant cook himself and used that opportunity to advise all young men to learn to cook right from a young age so that they are not too dependent on their wives /mothers/cooks for their day to day meals and also when they cook their own food people keep it simple ( since they will not have much time ) and do not over complicate it and that is also good for their health .
Cooking is a great sadhana as it involves using all the senses ( right from buying the vegetables , to washing them , cutting them , cooking them , serving them , tasting them etc ) at the same time but one must approach it with love and not a burden .

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #772 on: September 14, 2013, 09:52:17 AM »

The Seven Practices for a Healthy Mind

l Our breath is our best friend

2 Long breaths are first-aid for the mind

3 Developing mindfulness of the breathing at least 20 minutes is cultivation

4 Adhering to right speech

5 Trying to correct yourself

6 Adding at least one good deed daily

7 Reserving one hour daily for right thinking

Source : Buddhism for a Healthy Mind
http://thesevenpracticesforahelthymind.blogspot.in/

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #773 on: September 14, 2013, 11:48:34 AM »
If your compassion does not include yourself, it is incomplete - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #774 on: September 15, 2013, 10:47:52 PM »
Friends,
I was thinking of sharing a most delightful subject for contemplation-The passages in The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna where M has captured the Master in his infinite moods.The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna or the Kathamrita as it is called in Bengali began as a Diary jotting by 'M' who maintained it primarily to contemplate the the events,teachings of the Master noted by him whenever he could visit him on Holidays.M always contemplated on Sri Ramakrishna and used these jottings to relive the moments spent with the Master.In the process he captured almost everything in such a vivid fashion that later on when he wrote the 5 volumes of the Kathamrita,it became a boon for all those who never had an opportunity to see Sri Ramakrishna.Thanks to M's rare gift,the Kathamrita brings the Master in Flesh and blood to the devoted reader.
I will be sharing these passages from the Gospel which are ideal for contemplation and herein we find the Master as a Guru,as a friend,as a child,as a parent,as a dependent seeking advice!,etc,etc.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Contemplation on Sri Ramakrishna-1
« Reply #775 on: September 15, 2013, 10:56:50 PM »
Sri Ramakrishna and Suka Deva (1)

February 1882 M.'s first visit to the Master

It was on a sunday in spring, a few days after Sri Ramakrishna's birthday, that M. met him the first time. Sri Ramakrishna lived at the Kalibari, the temple garden of Mother Kali, on the bank of the Ganges at Dakshineswar.
M., being at leisure on Sundays, had gone with his friend Sidhu to visit several gardens at Baranagore. As they were walking in Prasanna Bannerji's garden, Sidhu said: "There is a charming place on the bank of the Ganges where a paramahamsa lives. Should you like to go there?" M. assented and they started immediately for the Dakshineswar temple garden.
They arrived at the main gate at dusk and went straight to Sri Ramakrishna's room. And there they found him seated on a wooden couch, facing the east. With a smile on his face he was talking of God. The room was full of people, all seated on the floor, drinking in his words in deep silence.
M. stood there speechless and looked on. It was as if he were standing where all the holy places met and as if Sukadeva himself were speaking the word of God, or as if Sri Chaitanya were singing the name and glories of the Lord in Puri with Ramananda, Swarup, and the other devotees
Formalities and essentials of religion
Sri Ramakrishna said: "When, hearing the name of Hari or Rama once, you shed tears and your hair stands on end, then you may know for certain that you do not have to perform such devotions as the sandhya any more. Then only will you have a right to renounce rituals; or rather, rituals will drop away of themselves. Then it will be enough if you repeat only the name of Rama or Hari, or even simply Om." Continuing, he said, "The sandhya merges in the Gayatri, and the Gayatri merges in Om."
M. looked around him with wonder and said to himself: "What a beautiful place! What a charming man! How beautiful his words are! I have no wish to move from this spot." After a few minutes he thought, "Let me see the place first; then I'll come back here and sit down."
As he left the room with Sidhu, he heard the sweet music of the evening service arising in the temple from gong, bell, drum, and cymbal. He could hear music from the nahabat, too, at the south end of the garden. The sounds travelled over the Ganges, floating away and losing themselves in the distance. A soft spring wind was blowing, laden with the fragrance of flowers; the moon had just appeared. It was as if nature and man together were preparing for the evening worship. M. and Sidhu visited the twelve Siva temples, the Radhakanta temple, and the temple of Bhavatarini. And as M. watched the services before the images his heart was filled with joy.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 07:39:01 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: contemplation on Sri Ramakrishna-2
« Reply #776 on: September 15, 2013, 11:06:04 PM »
Sri Ramakrishna-First Impressions (2)

On the way back to Sri Ramakrishna's room the two friends talked. Sidhu told M. that the temple garden had been founded by Rani Rasmani. He said that God was worshipped there daily as Kali, Krishna, and Siva, and that within the gates sadhus and beggars were fed.
When they reached Sri Ramakrishna's door again, they found it shut, and Brinde, the Maid, standing outside. M., who had been trained in English manners and would not enter a room without permission, asked her, "Is the holy man in?" Brinde replied, "Yes he's in the room."
M: "How long has he lived here?"
BRINDE: "Oh, he has been here a long time."
M: "Does he read many books?"
BRINDE: "Books? Oh, dear no! They're all on his tongue."
M. had just finished his studies in college. It amazed him to hear that Sri Ramakrishna read no books.
M: "Perhaps it is time for his evening worship. May we go into the room? Will you tell him we are anxious to see him?"
BRINDE: "Go right in, children. Go in and sit down."
Entering the room, they found Sri Ramakrishna alone, seated on the wooden couch. Incense had just been burnt and all the doors were shut. As he entered, M. with folded hands saluted the Master. Then, at the Master's bidding, he and Sidhu sat on the floor. Sri Ramakrishna asked them: "Where do you live? What is your occupation? Why have you come to Baranagore?" M. answered the questions, but he noticed that now and then the Master seemed to become absent-minded. Later he learnt that this mood is called bhava, ecstasy. It is like the state of the angler who has been sitting with his rod: the fish comes and swallows the bait, and the float begins to tremble; the angler is on the alert; he grips the rod and watches the float steadily and eagerly; he will not speak to anyone. Such was the state of Sri Ramakrishna's mind. Later M. heard, and himself noticed, that Sri Ramakrishna would often go into this mood after dusk, sometimes becoming totally unconscious of the outer world.
M: "Perhaps you want to perform your evening worship. In that case may we take our leave?"
SRI RAMAKRISHNA (still in ecstasy): "No-evening worship? No, it is not exactly that." After a little conversation M. saluted the Master and took his leave. "Come again", Sri Ramakrishna said.
On his way home M. began to wonder: "Who is this serene-looking man who is drawing me back to him? Is it possible for a man to be great without being a scholar? How wonderful it is! I should like to see him again. He himself said, 'Come again.' I shall go tomorrow or the day after."

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 07:39:57 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Contemplation on Sri Ramakrishna-3
« Reply #777 on: September 16, 2013, 07:25:45 AM »
Sri Ramakrishna and M-The Second Visit (3)

Second visit
M.'s second visit to Sri Ramakrishna took place on the southeast verandah at eight o'clock in the morning. The Master was about to be shaved, the barber having just arrived. As the cold season still lingered he had put on a moleskin shawl bordered with red. Seeing M., the Master said: "So you have come. That's good. Sit down here." He was smiling. He stammered a little when he spoke.
SRI RAMAKRISHNA (to M.): "Where do you live?"
M: "In Calcutta, sir."
SRI RAMAKRISHNA: "Where are you staying here?"
M: "I am at Baranagore at my older sister's-Ishan Kaviraj's house."
SRI RAMAKRISHNA: "Oh, at Ishan's? Well, how is Keshab now? He was very ill."
M: "Indeed, I have heard so too, but I believe he is well now."
Master's love for Keshab
SRI RAMAKRISHNA: "I made a vow to worship the Mother with green coconut and sugar on Keshab's recovery. Sometimes, in the early hours of the morning, I would wake up and cry before Her: 'Mother, please make Keshab well again. If Keshab doesn't live, whom shall I talk with when I go to Calcutta?' And so it was that I resolved to offer Her the green coconut and sugar. "Tell me, do you know of a certain Mr. Cook who has come to Calcutta? Is it true that he is giving lectures? Once Keshab took me on a steamer, and this Mr. Cook, too was in the party."
M: "Yes, sir, I have heard something like that; but I have never been to his lectures. I don't know much about him."

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 07:40:19 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Contemplation on Sri Ramakrishna-4
« Reply #778 on: September 16, 2013, 07:38:31 AM »
Sri Ramakrishna and M-M's First and Last arguement with the Master (4)

Sri Ramakrishna on M.'s marriage
SRI RAMAKRISHNA: "Pratap's brother came here. He stayed a few days. He had nothing to do and said he wanted to live here. I came to know that he had left his wife and children with his father-in-law. He has a whole brood of them! So I took him to task. Just fancy! He is the father of so many children! Will people from the neighbourhood feed them and bring them up? He isn't even ashamed that someone else is feeding his wife and children, and that they have been left at his father-in-law's house. I scolded him very hard and asked him to look for a job. Then he was willing to leave here. "Are you married?"
M: "Yes, sir."
SRI RAMAKRISHNA (with a shudder): "Oh, Ramlal! Alas, he is married!"
Like one guilty of a terrible offence, M. sat motionless, his eyes fixed on the ground. He thought, "Is it such a wicked thing to get married?"
The Master continued, "Have you any children?"
M. this time could hear the beating of his own heart. He whispered in a trembling voice, "Yes, sir, I have children."
Very sadly Sri Ramakrishna said, "Ah me! He even has children!"
Thus rebuked M. sat speechless. His pride had received a blow. After a few minutes Sri Ramakrishna looked at him kindly and said affectionately: "You see, you have certain good signs. I know them by looking at a person's forehead, his eyes, and so on. Tell me, now, what kind of person is your wife? Has she spiritual attributes, or is she under the power of avidya?"
M: "She is all right. But I am afraid she is ignorant."
MASTER (with evident displeasure): "And you are a man of knowledge!"
M. had yet to learn the distinction between knowledge and ignorance. Up to this time his conception had been that one got knowledge from books and schools. Later on he gave up this false conception. He was taught that to know God is knowledge, and not to know Him, ignorance. When Sri Ramakrishna exclaimed, "And you are a man of knowledge!", M.'s ego was again badly shocked.
God with and without form
MASTER: "Well, do you believe in God with form or without form?"
M., rather surprised, said to himself: "How can one believe in God without form when one believes in God with form? And if one believes in God without form, how can one believe that God has a form? Can these two contradictory ideas be true at the same time? Can a white liquid like milk be black?"
M: "Sir, I like to think of God as formless."
MASTER: "Very good. It is enough to have faith in either aspect. You believe in God without form; that is quite all right. But never for a moment think that this alone is true and all else false. Remember that God with form is just as true as God without form. But hold fast to your own conviction."
The assertion that both are equally true amazed M.; he had never learnt this from his books. Thus his ego received a third blow; but since it was not yet completely crushed, he came forward to argue with the Master a little more.
God and the clay image
M: "Sir, suppose one believes in God with form. Certainly He is not the clay image!"
MASTER (interrupting): "But why clay? It is an image of Spirit."
M. could not quite understand the significance of this "image of Spirit". "But, sir," he said to the Master, "one should explain to those who worship the clay image that it is not God, and that, while worshipping it, they should have God in view and not the clay image. One should not worship clay."
God the only real teacher
MASTER (sharply): "That's the one hobby of you Calcutta people - giving lectures and bringing others to the light! Nobody ever stops to consider how to get the light himself.Who are you to teach others? He who is the Lord of the Universe will teach everyone. He alone teaches us, who has created this universe; who has made the sun and moon, men and beasts, and all other beings; who has provided means for their sustenance; who has given children parents and endowed them with love to bring them up. The Lord has done so many things - will He not show people the way to worship Him? If they need teaching, then He will be the Teacher. He is our Inner Guide".
"Suppose there is an error in worshipping the clay image; doesn't God know that through it He alone is being invoked? He will he pleased with that very worship. Why should you get a headache over it? You had better try for knowledge and devotion yourself."

This time M. felt that his ego was completely crushed. He now said to himself: "Yes, he has spoken the truth. What need is there for me to teach others? Have I known God? Do I really love Him? 'I haven't room enough for myself in my bed, and I am inviting my friend to share it with me!' I know nothing about God, yet I am trying to teach others. What a shame! How foolish I am! This is not mathematics or history or literature, that one can teach it to others. No, this is the deep mystery of God. What he says appeals to me."
This was M.'s first argument with the Master, and happily his last.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 07:41:09 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Contemplation on Sri Ramakrishna-5
« Reply #779 on: September 16, 2013, 08:58:31 PM »
Sri Ramakrishna and M-The Third Visit (5)

Third visit
It was Sunday afternoon when M. came on his third visit to the Master. He had been profoundly impressed by his first two visits to this wonderful man. He had been thinking of the Master constantly, and of the utterly simple way he explained the deep truths of the spiritual life. Never before had he met such a man.
Sri Ramakrishna was sitting on the small couch. The room was filled with devotees, who had taken advantage of the holiday to come to see the Master. M. had not yet become acquainted with any of them; so he took his seat in a corner. The Master smiled as he talked with the devotees
Narendra
He addressed his words particularly to a young man of nineteen, named Narendranath, who was a college student and frequented the Sadharan Brahmo Samaj. His eyes were bright, his words were full of spirit, and he had the look of a lover of God.
M. guessed that the conversation was about worldly men, who look down on those who aspire to spiritual things. The Master was talking about the great number of such people in the world, and about how to deal with them.
MASTER (to Narendra): "How do you feel about it? Worldly people say all kinds of things about the spiritually minded. But look here! When an elephant moves along the street, any number of curs and other small animals may bark and cry after it; but the elephant doesn't even look back at them. If people speak ill of you, what will you think of them?"
NARENDRA: "I shall think that dogs are barking at me."
God in every being
MASTER (Smiling): "Oh, no! You mustn't go that far, my child! (Laughter). God dwells in all beings. But you may be intimate only with good people; you must keep away from the evil-minded. God is even in the tiger; but you cannot embrace the tiger on that account. (Laughter). You may say, 'Why run away from a tiger, which is also a manifestation of God?' The answer to that is: 'Those who tell you to run away are also manifestations of God - and why shouldn't you listen to them?'
Parable of the "elephant God"
"Let me tell you a story. In a forest there lived a holy man who had many disciples. One day he taught them to see God in all beings and, knowing this, to bow low before them all. A disciple went to the forest to gather wood for the sacrificial fire. Suddenly he heard an outcry: 'Get out of the way! A mad elephant is coming!' All but the disciple of the holy man took to their heels. He reasoned that the elephant was also God in another form. Then why should he run away from it? He stood still, bowed before the animal, and began to sing its praises. The mahut of the elephant was shouting: 'Run away! Run away!' But the disciple didn't move. The animal seized him with its trunk, cast him to one side, and went on its way. Hurt and bruised, the disciple lay unconscious on the ground. Hearing what had happened, his teacher and his brother disciples came to him and carried him to the hermitage. With the help of some medicine he soon regained consciousness. Someone asked him, 'You knew the elephant was coming - why didn't you leave the place?' 'But', he said, 'our teacher has told us that God Himself has taken all these forms, of animals as well as men. Therefore, thinking it was only the elephant God that was coming, I didn't run away.' At this the teacher said: 'Yes, my child, it is true that the elephant God was coming;
but the mahut God forbade you to stay there. Since all are manifestations of God, why didn't you trust the mahut's words? You should have heeded the words of the mahut God.' (Laughter)