Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 284936 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #690 on: August 28, 2013, 07:58:54 AM »
Mataji Krishnabai and Sri V Ganesan -2
I happened to have two upagurus. My first upaguru is my mother. My first memory is of the time when I was one and a half years old. I was in the crib, and my mother was singing a lullaby—a Ramana lullaby. Every day, whenever she wanted to make me sleep, she sang the Ramana lullaby. When I close my eyes and pay attention to my Heart, even now, I can hear my mother singing that lullaby. She sowed the seeds of devotion to my Master. When I was a crawling baby, she would seat me in front of Bhagavan. When I grew up, she would tell me every day, ―Go and prostrate before Bhagavan. Look at his eyes and receive his blessings.‖ When I began school, and would share any episode with her, she would say, ―Go and tell Bhagavan.‖ If I had a new pen, my mother would say, ―Go and show it to Bhagavan, place it in his hand, and receive it back.‖ Until she died, this loving mother‘s one commandment to me was, ―Bhagavan is enough for you. You need nothing else.‖
My second upaguru is my Teacher, T. K. Sundaresa Iyer. We would call him TKS. TKS was an elementary school teacher. His humility was exceptional and his simplicity, extraordinary. He was my teacher in the sixth grade and paid a lot of attention to me. Every day he would come to Ramanashram. He took particular interest in me. He would call out, ―Ganesa, come here, a holy man has come. Prostrate before him.‖ Or ―Ganesa come here, a lady saint has come, prostrate before her.‖ or ―This Swamiji has come from the Shankaracharya Mutt, prostrate before him.‖
He would prostrate and command me do so as well, so much so that some people in Ramanashram would object to this and say, ―TKS is a crazy man, and he is making Ganesan crazy, too. He makes him prostrate before eccentric people, saying that they are all holy saints and sages.‖ I believe it is the extraordinary grace of my Master Bhagavan which guided me to TKS, my teacher.
Later, when I grew up, it was he who introduced me to the sages and saints in India, either in the body or without the body. It was he who directed me to Swami Ramdas. TKS had a vision that Swami Ramdas would guide my entire life. Swami Ramdas saw that his spiritual consort, Mother Krishna Bai was going to be my guide all my life. It was TKS who guided me there.

continued...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 08:19:15 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #691 on: August 28, 2013, 08:18:18 AM »
Mataji Krishnabai and Sri V ganesan-3

I came to Ramanashram in 1960. My sincere aspiration was to serve the older devotees who were not physically there anymore. When I arrived,
there were only eight or nine devotees, like Chadwick, Devaraja Mudaliar, one or two servants, and office staff. All the other devotees had left the Ashram, including Muruganar, for valid reasons, of course. The lady-saint, Mother Krishna Bai, guided me, ―Go and call them back . . . that is your sadhana.‖ I made sincere efforts to find out where they were. I succeeded in a few cases. Knowing Viswanatha Swami‘s greatness, I kept searching for him, but he kept eluding me. I could not find his whereabouts. One day I was walking on the streets of Chennai and an old friend of mine in great joy met me and voluntarily told me, ―Ganesh Anna! I am so happy because I am just returning from a meeting with Viswanatha Swami.‖ My joy knew no bounds. ―Viswanatha Swami is here?‖ I asked incredulously. My friend provided me the address, and I immediately went there. He was living in his brother‘s rented house. When I walked in, he was in the kitchen cooking for the family. I prostrated before him right there in the kitchen. I cried, ―Swami! Is cooking your job? Is not your place in the abode of Bhagavan? Is not Ramanashram your home?‖ I begged him to come back to Ramanashram and he did.

continued....

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #692 on: August 28, 2013, 08:26:10 AM »
Mataji Krishnabai and Sri V Ganesan-4

I retreated to Varanasi for an entire year. Even there, I could feel his mystic hand helping me with the bed and board arrangements. I had a cottage right on the banks of the Ganges and spent my year there cultivating a sense of quietude and dispassion. Ultimately, he was guiding me by freeing me of the continuous involvement in the Ashram. For the first time in nearly thirty years, I felt a new sense of freedom and that I was being weaned away from attachment to duties at Ramanashram.
When I came back to Tiruvannamalai, Yogi Ram Surat Kumar said, ―Mother Krishnabai is on her death bed. Go and see her.‖ It was Mother Krishnabai, in 1960, who had guided me to bring back all the old devotees of Bhagavan and attend to them. After twenty-seven years of doing this ―service,‖ I returned to report the progress that I had made. I stayed with her for two months. During that time, building on my practice in Varanasi, I asked her to release me from further duties in the Ashram. Mother asked me, ―How many old devotees still remain in the Ashram?‖ I said I had brought back almost fifty old devotees, attended to them, and completed their funeral services. Only two, Kunjuswami and Ramaswami Pillai, were left. On hearing this, she said, ―Ganesa, you have more work to complete, but I assure you that Bhagavan will make you 'a nobody‘ and establish you in that state of quietude.‖
It was 1989 when I returned to Ramanashram. Three years later Kunjuswami passed away, and at the end of 1994, Ramaswami Pillai passed away. The next day I was released. I had already published in the Mountain Path that I was relinquishing all forms of responsibility to Ramanashram and showed that issue to Yogi Ram Surat Kumar. He read it and then said, ―Ganesa, do me a favor.‖ He held my hand and took me to Ramanashram to meet Sundaram, my brother, who had already become the President. He told Sundaram, ―Do not be afraid, Bhagavan is managing this Ashram. Everyone will help you. Be bold; because the Ashram activities will continue without interruption.‖ He encouraged Sundaram and allowed me to leave.

continued...

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: August 28, 2013, 08:32:21 AM »
Mataji Krishnabai and Sri V Ganesan-5

On one occasion, a yoga guru by name Desikachari came from Chennai, along with his group of teachers. He is a reputed yoga teacher and teaches me yoga and prana yama. I had invited him to Ramanashram. Anuradha and I took the group round the Ashram, and we also took them to Skandashram.
On the way, I was telling Desikachari that the road we were walking on was laid by a single man who was now more than one hundred years old. Desikachari‘s father had lived to be a hundred years old, and Desikachari would gloat over this fact. Anuradha confronted him saying, ―You used to say that your father lived to be one hundred years old. We have a man who is living now and is more than a hundred years old.‖ On coming back from Skandashram, Desikachari asked me, ―Could I meet the hundred-year-old man?‖
I took him to Ramaswami Pillai‘s room; as always, he was excited when he saw me. ―Ganesan!‖ he said, ―Come! Come!‖ It was time to have his halva so he clasped his hand around my neck and started feeding me the halva. When I put out my hand, he gave it a pat and said, ―You are my child; you are asking me by holding out your hand! Come here.‖ Thus saying, he started feeding me. This happened in 1995. I was not a child, but he was feeding me! Desikachari enjoyed the scene and then said, ―You used to say that he does parayana and has a beautiful voice. Could we hear him sing some songs?‖ I said, ―Ramaswami Pillai, they want to hear you sing. So sing some song of Bhagavan.‖ At this, he got very angry and declared, ―What do you mean by some song of Bhagavan? For me, there is only one song and that is Bhagavan‘s Arunachala Shiva.‖
He sang in his beautiful voice. When he came to the tenth verse, he started panting. I immediately said, ―Ramaswami Pillai! Stop! That is enough.‖ ―Oh! You want me to stop? Yes, I will stop,‖ he responded. It was three-thirty in the afternoon when we took leave of him, and as soon as I disappeared from the scene, he started singing Arunachala Shiva again. His attendant later said that he sang until five o‘clock in the evening. Then he told the attendant, ―Sit me up on my bed.‖ He continued singing Arunachala Shiva with full consciousness until he dropped the body. I was not present at the time, but the next day, we laid him to rest. I made the arrangements and interred him, since that is what he had wanted. After it was over, the President said, ―Hand me the keys.‖ That was the day I left Ramanashram.
You will remember that Mother Krishna Bai asked me if I had attended fifty devotees. ―But Mother, under your command I have even taken them to the crematorium.‖ ―Any one left?‖ she asked me at the time, and I replied, ―Yes, two people are left.‖ ―And who are they?‖ she enquired. ―Kunjuswami and Ramaswami Pillai,‖ I replied. I then requested, ―Please bless me.‖ She said, ―You have some more work to do. I will bless you. I will give you this final state, but you have some more work to do.‖ I did not understand what she meant at that time, but it soon became very clear. In 1992, Kunjuswami passed away, and in 1995, Ramaswami Pillai passed away. I was asked to give the keys after interring Ramaswami Pillai. I recall that I was neither upset nor angry at the request because I at once saw Mother Krishna Bai saying, ―Your work here is complete, now you can hand it over.‖

Sri Ganesan now lives in his home near yamalingam in Tiruvannamalai.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #694 on: August 28, 2013, 09:46:39 AM »
Dear Ravi

Thanks for this wonderful incidents in the life of Sri V Ganesan . After reading this I went back to reading his ebook "The Human Gospel of Sri Ramana Maharshi" that I downloaded a few months back but failed to read it .
It is really a wonderful treasure of incidents in the life of direct and close devotees of Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #695 on: August 28, 2013, 10:55:27 AM »
Dear Ravi,

The Human Gospel is a wonderful book by Sri V. Ganesan.  I read it only from your reference and took a copy in a
separate folder in my computer.  Some details I have forgotten.  After reading your post, I feel like reading it once
again. 

I tried to meet Sri Ganesan in his house near Yamalingam when I went last. But I could not since he was away.

Thanks for the post.

Arunachala Siva. 

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #696 on: August 28, 2013, 12:06:50 PM »
Mata Krishnabai's advice to Sri V Ganesan here is similar to the advice by Buddha in Dhammapada given below :
She added, ―Another important hurdle is that since you are related to Ramana Maharshi, everybody will tell you and treat you like you are already liberated. They will tell you that according to the Hindu scriptures, a realized Master‘s relatives are already realized beings. Seven generations preceding and the subsequent seven generations are supposedly free of karma. Be here now. It is a golden chain into the non-existent past. It is a lie. You must earn your bread—your spiritual bread. God is absolutely impartial. You are to practice Ramana Maharshi‘s teachings, so pursue Self-Enquiry for your Self.‖

"Oneself is refuge of oneself,
who else indeed could refuge be?
By good training of oneself
one gains a refuge hard to gain."

~ Buddha (Dhammapada, verse 160)
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: August 28, 2013, 03:57:29 PM »
Jewell/Friends,
I have uploaded the Ramnam singing at Anandashram by the women devotees.This is taken with the ipad camera and the video quality is serviceable.The venue is Mataji's Samadhi.Please Watch it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MihOuA2JVM

I find that there is a good video on Anandashram with footage of papa Ramdas and mataji Krishnabai.You may like to watch it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_h2sLJsVLQ

I am yet to sort out the videos and will post some more clips later.

Namaskar.

Dear Sri Ravi,

How wonderful videos! I love Papa Ramdas and His benevolent and peaceful look,and His beautiful smile. Anandashram is such a peaceful and beautiful place. That video is absolutely wonderful,i loved the tree from the beginning,children chanting,atmosphere and cows. :) But,i must say,i am absolutely charmed with Krishnabai. She is so beautiful! I loved Her smile,the way she walks,absolutely everything. I am truly impressed with Krishnabai,and i can feel such compassion coming from Her.
Also,chanting in the videos are very beautiful.

Thank You so much for sharing all this with us,dear Sir! I wanted to share my impressions regarding videos,and now i will read with attention posts You have posted after.

With love and prayers,

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: August 28, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
Krishna(atmavichar)/Subramanaian,
Yes,the humana Gospel of Sri Ramana maharshi is a wonderful collection of talks given by Sri Ganesan.Last Year in Chennai ,on the penultimate Day(6th day ,I think)of Nochur Sri Venkatraman's Talks on Sri Bhagavan's 'naan yaar' at Narada gana sabha ,Sri Nochur had requested Sri Ganesan ANNA(elder brother)to give a talk.Sri Ganesan spoke  on Sri Muruganar and his personal interactions with him.It should be featured in the CD that has been issued subsequently.Sri Ganesan has an intimate style of communicating his reminiscences.
If only some devotee has recorded his other talks given over the years,it will be a real feast for devotees.I will not be surprised if someday the audio version of these talks becomes available.
Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #699 on: August 28, 2013, 05:15:15 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Sri Subramanian Sir has mentioned that the 'Human Gospel of Sri Ramana Maharshi', authored by Sri V. Ganesan, is available only as an e-book. If so, will  you kindly give me the location from where I can download and save the wonderful collection of 'talks' given by Sri Ganesan?

Thanks very much, sir.
Pranam,
  Anil

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Mataji Krishnabai
« Reply #700 on: August 28, 2013, 05:28:39 PM »
Jewell,
Yes,Anandashram is a wonderful place and retains its native charm till this day.Papa Ramdas is a perfect exemplar of Saranagathi and the efficacy of chanting the Divine name.Papa is absolutely charming and his smile can immediately dispel any gloom in a devotees heart and infuse him with love and reassurance.Papa sitting amidst children is a sight to see.Truly a Great soul.
How right you are about Mataji Krishnabai!The videos do not do justice to her physical presence,beautiful as she looks in these videos.I had the privilege of seeing her in 1978 and was instantly charmed by her Radiant presence and Grace.It was in the month of may or June 1978,just after finishing  final year engineering examination and vacating our 5 year Hostel stay in our college in Tiruchirapalli for good,myself and a good friend of mine travelled to Kanhangad to Anandashram.I still recall how we were given a room to stay in the ashram and even before we had unpacked,someone brought a plate of hot snacks(bajjis-fried item)saying that mataji had sent it for us!We have not even known her before and this is her initial welcome!Such is mataji.She was all over the ashram answering to the needs of the devotees,taking care of every single activity in the ashram and ensuring perfection in everything.
To finish the story,after a bath we visited mataji and I had carried my autograph notebook.I requested her to write a message for me and she wrote the wonderful mantra:Om,Sri rama jaya rama jaya jaya ram in devanagari script.I have with me this treasure and i made sure that i am writing the mantra exactly the way she wrote it by consulting the notebook just now.
It is this mantra that pervades the ashram atmosphere till today and is chanted by all devotees in that video that I have posted-the venue is Mataji's samadhi building.
coming to the other video on Anandashram,jewell you may look for Papa's chanting of the Mantra around 7:30 minutes  into the video.The voice of papa chanting Ramanam is truly haunting as it comes from the depths of the heart.
Thanks very much for giving this opportunity to recall the lives of these great ones.Mataji is absolutely adorable.Swami Chidananda of the Divine Life society,Rishikesh(A disciple of Swami sivananda) was greatly devoted to Mataji and visited her almost every year.
Here is a video of the swami performing the Arati(evening vespers)at mataji's samadhi shrine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=912cxu3bxHY
Swami Sivananda of Rishikesh loved papa Ramdas and mataji Krishnabai.Papa went on a world tour to europe and USA in the Late 50s and I think in 1960.Knowing about the tour in advance,Swami Sivananda would send his ayurvedic tonic preparation(made in his ashram clinic)chavanprash and request that devotees give it to papa and take good care of him!Papa was like a child and will simply abide by whatever Mataji decided for him!
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re:Papa Ramdas and S S Cohen
« Reply #701 on: August 28, 2013, 06:04:48 PM »
Friends,
Wish to share this beautiful account of SS Cohen on Anandashram:

Then there came a break in my life at Tiruvannamalai.By the end of 1938 I felt I must go away for a while, as the next chapter will narrate: not to part company with my sadhana, but, on the contrary, to prevent it from degenerating into a colourless, monotonous routine, which I feared might wreck, or dry up the perennial inspirations which are necessary for continued efforts. So I planned a leisurely tour in South India. I visited temples and stayed in holy places for long or
short durations, as the spiritual moods took me. Everywhere I was well received. No temple closed its doors in my face anywhere, as it was done to non-Hindus. Wherever I went Bhagavan’s name acted like a charm, particularly as I had adopted the Indian dress from the beginning (1936), lived in Brahmin streets, and ate Brahmin food, which was pure vegetarian. I even for the time discarded the wearing of footwear, bathed in Hindu bathing-tanks, and attended evening temple worship with the smearing of ashes on my arms and forehead. This proved of much benefit at that stage of my sadhana. In the end of 1939 I found myself landed in Anandashram in Kanhangad, on the north Kerala coast, of which Swami Ramdas was the presiding deity. I had planned to stay there for a few weeks, but somehow I lingered for more than eight months.
Anandashram is very beautifully situated. To the east stretches a small range of sloping hillocks, almost evergreen from the torrential rains that fall there in both the monsoon seasons. To the west a plain gently slopes for almost four miles down to the sea, across fields sparsely strewn with villagers’ huts, coconut groves, and tobacco plantations, in between which is wedged a thin strip of the township, which is very much smaller than Tiruvannamalai. Being far from the public
road the Ashram enjoys a natural, quiet and sweet, idyllic simplicity, which made it a congenial retreat at that time for me. So, I liked the place and stayed on, and did my work in my own way. Even the peculiar atmosphere of this Ashram suited me in my then moods. After a short while I began to distinguish the psychical difference between it and Ramanashram, I was greatly amused when I detected the way Ramdas was affecting me. It enhanced the boyish tendencies which had been at times causing me much inconvenience, and which I had been trying to curb – the loquacity, the hastiness in action, the quickness of temper, the extreme
sensitiveness to sound, the bouts of paralysing shyness, etc. I had spent fifteen years (since 1925) in comparative loneliness and silence, but Anandashram drew me out to the spontaneity of my adolescence for a good part of the time I was there
For in Ramdas’s presence the heart expanded with joy, reminiscent of Krishna’s leela in Brindavan. Joy permeated everything: the hills, the grazing cattle, the faces round one, and the very air one breathed – all were joy-inspiring, all Ramdas’s RAM. In the spiritual life of some devotees what counts most is genuine bhakti, irrespective of labels and nomenclature, and Anandashram was, no doubt, surcharged with it, but it was a bhakti which was nurtured by joy. Joy
and love oozed out of every pore of Ramdas’s being and infected his neighbourhood

Excerpt from Guru Ramana-by S S Cohen

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: August 28, 2013, 06:30:35 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

I am so impressed with the fact You have met Mataji Krishnabai. And You even got the mantra from Her. How wonderful!
I experienced and saw Her exactly the way You have described. There is some aura of Divinity,serenity and love around Her. Absolutely charming She was. So motherly.

I watched this new video You have posted,with the chanting of Swami Chidananda,and i love it. It is so very joyful and peace giving,so intoxicating.
Also,beautiful story of Sri V Ganesan,i remember i have read it already through the link You have posted few months back. I love that book.

Dear Sri Ravi,thank You so much for this beautiful sharing!!! It is truly a treasure, and very inspiring.

With love and prayers,

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #703 on: August 29, 2013, 10:32:36 AM »
Sri Ravi, thanks for such wonderful accounts of your visit.
Bhagavan willing one day i would like to visit Anandashram.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #704 on: August 29, 2013, 01:38:23 PM »
Jewell/Nagaraj,
Thanks very much for your kind words.I warmly recommend Papa Ramdas Autobiography available as a pdf download.
1.In Quest of God and
2.In the Vision of God

also,Mataji's wonderful Autobiography translated by papa himself:
3.Guru's Grace.

The above as well as other writings of papa Ramdas are available for downloading here:
http://www.anandashram.org/html/ebooksenglish.html

Namaskar.