Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 357391 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #600 on: July 07, 2013, 09:08:46 AM »
The INSPIRED ALPHABETS ( A-Z )In the words of Swami Vivekananda

Arise! Awake! and stop not till the goal is reached
    Bless men when they revile you
    Conquer yourself and the whole universe is yours
    Do not merely endure, be unattached
    Eat to Him, drink to Him, sleep to Him, see Him in all
    First get rid of this delusion,” Iam the body’
    Give everything and look for no returns
    Homogeneity, sameness is GOD
     Incarnations like Buddha, Sri Ramakrishna can give religions
    Jnana –Yoga tells man that he is essentially divine
    Knowledge exists, man only discovers
    Look at the ocean and not at the wave
    Man as Atman is really free, as man he is bound
    Never turn back to see the result of what you have done
    Out of purity and silence comes the word of power
    Perception is our only real knowledge or religion
    Quarrels over religion are always over the husks
    Religion without philosophy runs into superstition
    See no difference between ant and angel
    The more our bliss is within, the more spiritual we are
    Unchaste imagination is as bad as unchaste action
    Vedas cannot show you Brahman, You are already that.
    We are human coverings over the Divine
    Xs anything is poison
    You are good but be better
    Zeal with faith(Shraddha); have this everything will follow

However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 09, 2013, 07:08:47 PM »
Silentgreen,
Nice to see you resuming the posts on The Divine Mother.Here is an excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
"Do you know my attitude? As for myself, I eat, drink, and live happily. The rest the Divine Mother knows".
Namaskar

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 09, 2013, 07:24:36 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Please post comments directly under Devi Mahatmyam thread. My wish is to continue to post something about the Devi till Durga Puja this year; if not daily at least regularly. So if I miss posting for more than 3 days, please post something in that thread.
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 11, 2013, 05:06:18 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi, subramanian sir

Its really so nice to look deeply into the appalam song and yes, the englush translations seem slightly barren.

Appalam ittu paaru

I infered ittu as ishta padardu, to desire

Bhagawan lovingly asking or requesting his mother as though a child desire for appalam. Also he actually lovingly asks her to desire and nit even try.

Some thoughts... :-) eagerly awaiting your translations...
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 13, 2013, 10:11:00 AM »
Nagaraj,

Got to see your post here late!

Appalam idu -அப்பளம் இடு -means fashion an appalam

Appalam ittu paaru-அப்பளம் இட்டு பாரு -means Try fashioning an appalam

we may use the word idu,ittu in other similiar ways:

Kolam Idu-கோலம் இடு -Draw or Paint a Kolam

Kolam Ittu paaru-கோலம் இட்டு பாரு-Try Drawing a Kolam

Iduthal-இடுதல் -refers to the act of Casting ,Shaping,Drawing by Hand-in short wherever there is a purposeful shaping of anything.

The Simplest dish IDLI-இட்லி -has this same root-Idu-the semisolid fermented dough of Rice and Blackgram is poured into bowl shaped plate and steamed to prepare this dish.

The Ishtam that you refer;இஷ்டம்-is Sanskrit and in Tamil it is rendered as  Ittam -இட்டம், as in Sri Bhagavan's Sri Arunachala Pathikam,verse 2:

'நின் இட்டம் என் இட்டம்' -'Your will is my will'

In common parlance the word இஷ்டம் means desire.

In a sense what you have inferred is valid-It is இஷ்டம்(desire or will) that drives இடுதல்(the act)-and these are related in this way.

So in this sense the Desire for Applam has to be Fulfilled by the Fashioning of it in the First place;and Sri Bhagavan is suggesting-Try Fashioning it inly with all the necessary ingredients thrown in....directing this very desire inwards...and the whole of this wonderful  appalam Song unrolls  inexhorably to its supreme fulfillment in the Frying of the appalam  as I am That-Aham Brahmasmi-and consumed as The self by The Self-and forever abiding as The self.

Thanks very much.I will share more on this subject in the thread of appappattu.

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 13, 2013, 10:36:54 AM »
Thanks Sri Ravi, you have explained it so wonderfully, and very clearly. I just cant stop loving tamizh day by day :) yes as you have mentioned i remember having seen இட்டம் in other song(s).

"அவணருளாலெ இடலாம்"

:)
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 13, 2013, 11:10:23 AM »
Nagaraj,

Yes,அவன் அருளாலே தான் இடலாம்!

Just to add -இடலாம் also means Serving;So the Fried appalams may be served as well-அப்பளம் இட்டு பாரு-Try serving appalam ,Sri Bhagavan seems to be telling this as well to his mother-If you desire to prepare appalam ,try serving the appalam of the Self!

Sri Kavyakanta Ganapathi muni considered Sri Bhagavan as the six Faced Subrahmanya-each face reveals another dimension of Truth.All of Sri Bhagavan's compositions have this character!

May I Request you to post the pictures of the Ingredients used,the Tools and Processes deployed in the appalap paatu thread please.This would add to the understanding of all those who are not familiar with this appalam snack-and will give an insight as to how simply and deftly ,Sri Bhagavan has turned this common place incident  into a wonderful song -atonce instructive,inspiring and immensely practical.

Thanks very much.

Namaskar. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 11:22:16 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 13, 2013, 08:06:56 PM »
Nagaraj,
Thanks very much for the wonderful photographs and the ongoing writeup on the appalam ingredients, processes followed and implements deployed -and their significance and contextual  relevance in the wonderful song.
It is proceeding quite nicely.
Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 13, 2013, 08:11:58 PM »
Thanks Sri Ravi, :) i am hoping to complete it by tomorrow.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Sri Nochur Venkatraman's Talks in Chennai
« Reply #609 on: July 14, 2013, 11:42:10 AM »
Friends,
Sri Nochur Venkatraman continues his talks on Srimad Bhagavatham-Starting from Yesterday(13 07 2013) evening at Narada gana sabha,Chennai.
Today morning he commenced his talk on sri Bhagavan's nan yaar(This series began in chennai last year)in the morning at the same venue.
The Program listing is here:
http://nochursravana.com/programme-listing/

Sri Nochur is supremely blessed and gifted-and has the rare ability to directly penetrate in to the heart of the subject and communicating it to his listeners.Truly a Great soul.The talks on nan yaar will be brought out in mp3 CD format-and for all those who understand Tamizh,and who are devoted to sri Bhagavan-This is a real boon as Sri Nochur brings out the unique teaching of Sri Bhagavan-How Sri Bhagavan has steered clear of Vedantic Sravana ,Manana and has given the direct intuitive path of nan Yaar.Many aspects of Sri Bhagavan's teachings are superbly clarified by this Blessed soul who talks from first hand anubhava and not from intellectual grasp of Vedanta however profound-things like the Heart centre,the nature of the mind,The singular nature of the I thought,How it Springs from Sushupti,etc,etc-all are wonderfully communicated.
Sri Nochur's Bhagavatham is again top drawer-Sri Ramakrishna used to say that Srimad Bhagavatham is a sweetdish fried in the butter of Knowledge(We may compare Sri Bhagavan's appalam paatu where he uses this same phrase!)and steeped in the Honey of Love-Sri Nochur simply brings this Truth to the Grateful listeners.
Warmly recommended.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: July 14, 2013, 04:07:12 PM »
Subramanian,
Yes,I have your address and will be very happy to send you the CD .Be careful about sharing your personal details even in a Forum like this-If at all you need to you may at the most give your email id and share the other details through mail after ascertaining and assessing the other person.
I suggest that you delete your post.
Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: July 14, 2013, 04:39:07 PM »
Dear Ravi,

Thanks for the CD.  Thanks for suggesting removal of the post.  I have done that.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 14, 2013, 05:12:11 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

i have sort of completed the post, have to admit rather slightly hurriedly as it progressed, do let me know if you may like some changes to enhance the presentation, i would be be most glad to do the changes, but in few days, as i would not be available for some days past today.

--
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 05:13:45 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: July 14, 2013, 08:41:57 PM »
Dear Raviji and Friends,

Sri Nochurji's talks have been very helpful to me - it is Bhagavan's blessings to be able to listen to them.  I wanted to listen to a discourse on Naan Yaar for a long time and was very thankful to find Sri Nochurji's discourse online. For those who are interested, these talks can be found in the Geetham.net website. A lot of his other discourses, some in English too, are available in Sumukamji's Blog. Living abroad, attending his discourses in person has not been possible but to have them available online has been a big blessing.

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 14, 2013, 09:58:16 PM »
Nagaraj,
Thanks very much for your labour of Love in putting up the wonderful photographs for the appalam paattu.It has come out very well .
can you add a pestle and mortar where the mix gets kneaded into a consistent mass of dough before it is shaped on the plank?
Please do it when you find time.I think it will be a good idea to convert this into a pdf version and upload it and make it available to all those interested.
I will hopefully complete the translation of the final Charanam of that song in a day or two.I intend preserving the Sanskrit words used by Sri Bhagavan as it is and not seek to translate it.Sri Bhagavan is a master of the Tamizh language and if he has chosen to retain the Sanskrit words and not translate those into Tamizh-it must have some significance-like the words that occur in this song- Satsangha,Sama, Dama ,uparati,....and finally he is using 'Bhujiththu'(in tamil it is pusiththal-which means consume);He is not using 'saappittu' as in the Refrain'Aththai saappittu un asaiyai theeru'.
I wish to share my thoughts on this as it occurs to me.

Namaskar.