Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 315661 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #585 on: April 01, 2013, 07:47:28 AM »
Anil,
Yes anil bhai-it is quite obvious that you have been destined to come to the Lotus feet of Sri Bhagavan and the practice of atma-vichara.The 'Autobiography of a Yogi' is truly a wonderful account and is always a favourite.In 1979 I had the opportunity to vist the Lingaraja temple in Bhuvaneswar, Orissa and the Jagannath temple in Puri.In puri I had the privilege of visiting the samadhi of Sri Yukteswar Giri Maharaj,guru of Sri Paramahansa Yogananda.I also had the opportunity of visiting the Yogoda Ashram in Dakshineswar-a very quiet and beautiful place.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #586 on: April 01, 2013, 07:53:05 AM »
Anil/Friends,
Here is an interesting incident of how Jogin(later Swami Yogananda)tested Sri Ramakrishna.Someone had planted a doubt in him that the paramahamsa also lived with his wife like any other man.Jogin was taken aback and immediately wanted to know the Truth .Here is the story:

The first time Jogin met Ramakrishna, he left quickly but decided to meet again. After meeting Ramakrishna several times, Jogin decided to spend a night with him. So he stayed over one night. That is when the incident happened.
Jogin was a light sleeper and woke up in the middle of the night. He found Ramakrishna missing in his bed. He went and checked at the water pot and looked outside to see if Ramakrishna was walking outside. When he did not find, then he suspected "may be he teaches us about brahmacharya (celibacy), but goes to his wife secretly in the night". He positioned himself outside the nahabat (where Sarada Ma lived) and watched the door carefully. Later he heard the chattering of slippers from Panchavati on the other side and found Ramakrishna approaching him. Ramakrishna first asked "what are you doing here". When Jogin was silent and had an expression of shame on his face, Ramakrishna calmly said "well, you are right to test me. You should test a saint by the day and night before believing in him." Of course, Jogin was ashamed and did not sleep the whole night.

Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: April 01, 2013, 07:22:31 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

I am very happy to learn from your post that you had been to Bhuvaneshwar, Puri and Dakshineshwar and visited Lingaraja Temple, Jagannath Temple and Great Sage , Sri Ukteshwar Giri Maharaj’s Shrine in Dakshineshwar respectively, far back in 1979. That is really exhilarating to learn. As I remember, Sri Maharaj’s Hermitage is located in Serampore near Puri.

Dear sir, story of Swami Yogananda is interesting and intriguing. However, I wish to say that in spiritual matter, intuition is an unerring guide and more reliable than intellect and reason.And, therefore, I feel that intuition’s whisper is more important than mind’s unceasing chattering.  We need to train to learn to listen the truthful whisper of the Intuition emanating from deep within.     

Thanks very much, sir, for your response.
Pranam,
  Anil

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: April 17, 2013, 07:14:58 PM »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 03, 2013, 10:50:59 AM »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 25, 2013, 04:01:51 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

I hope You are good,sir,and everything is fine with You! You didnt visited this forum for quite some time,and i truly hope it is because You are busy,or for some similar reasons. Missing Your posting of Sri  Ramakrishna Paramhansa's life and teachings,and many others.

With love and prayers,

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 25, 2013, 11:27:54 PM »
Dear Raviji,

I was missing your posts too. Hope you are fine and either busy or choosing to take a break from posting for a while.

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 28, 2013, 06:39:59 AM »
Jewell/Latha/Friends,
Thanks for your kind enquiries.I have not posted anything here or elsewhere.I wish to continue the TiruppAvai thread and hope to do so;do not know when!
I will continue to post the life/teachings of Sri Ramakrishna, now and then..Last Saturday,Buddha Poornima was celebrated at Ramakrishna Mutt,Mylapore ,Chennai.
Thanks very much.
Namaskar.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 28, 2013, 04:33:05 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

I am happy that You are back! Beautiful post on Sri Ramakrishna Paramhansa,and His playing handmaid of Divine Mother. So sweet and funny. :)

Thank You Very much!

With love and prayers,

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 28, 2013, 04:44:28 PM »
Dear Ravi,

I am very happy that you are back.  I saw your comment in David's blog and got delighted.  Please continue your posts on
TiruppAvai and also about Sri Ramakrishna's life and teachings. Welcome back to the Forum and David's Blog.

Arunachala Siva.     

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #595 on: May 29, 2013, 12:09:25 AM »
Welcome back, Sri Ravi! I missed your presence and post here! I so happy you return!
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 31, 2013, 07:41:43 AM »
Subramanian/Hari/Friends,
Sri Ramakrishna says 'It is the nature of the hemp-smoker to make merry in the company of another hemp-smoker. He will not talk even to an amir(amir in hindi means a Rich man-Ravi), but he will embrace a wretched hempsmoker if he happens to meet one."
Thanks for your kind words.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 31, 2013, 08:00:15 AM »
Jewell,

I am happy that You are back! Beautiful post on Sri Ramakrishna Paramhansa,and His playing handmaid of Divine Mother. So sweet and funny.

Yes,From childhood he had this keen sense of observation.He watched the village yatra(Play) just once and renacted the entire play with his childhood playmates repeating all the dialogues.
His sense of humour is infectious.Here is a typical example as in The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

Sri Ramakrishna was in the happiest mood with his young and pure-souled devotees.. He was seated on the small couch and was doing funny imitations of a kirtani(Lady singer). The devotees laughed heartily. The kirtani is dressed lavishly and covered with ornaments. She sings standing on the floor, a coloured kerchief in her hand. Now and then she coughs to draw people's attention and blows her nose, raising her nose-ring, When a respectable gentleman enters the room she welcomes him with appropriate words, still continuing her song. Now and then she pulls her sari from her arms to show off her jewels.
The devotees were convulsed, with laughter at this mimicry by Sri Ramakrishna. Paltu rolled on the ground. Pointing to him, the Master said to M.: "Look at that child! He is rolling with laughter." He said to Paltu with a smile: "Don't report this to your father, or he will lose the little respect he has for me. You see, he is an 'Englishman."

One of the unique traits of Sri Ramakrishna is that he came down to the level of the most ordinary person and guide him/her along the lines natural to such a person.In this,he made them feel that he is one of them and made them feel comfortable, instilling hope and inspiration to live the spiritual life.
In my next few posts ,I will share examples of this from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna.

Namaskar

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 31, 2013, 04:51:32 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

It is sooo funny and cute,the way Sri Ramakrishna imitated woman singer. :) He was like some sweet,inocent child. He was truly unique and amazing! The special trait You have mentioned,the way He knew how to come to the level of ordinary man,is remarcable. That is God's trait indeed.
And He mastered every philosophy,every teaching He came across. Such Greatness! I am truly amazed with that. But,most beautiful of all is His complete intoxication with Divine,His pure Love and Surrender. I think it was such delight to be in His Divine Presence,to feel that abudant love and sweetness...

Thank You,dear Sri Ravi!

I think the best way to describe Him is Swami Vivekananda's way:

The Hymn to Sri Ramakrishna

1. Om! Hrim! Thou art the True, the Imperturbable One, transcending the three Gunas and yet adored for Thy virtues! Inasmuch as I do not worship day and night, with yearning, Thy compassionate lotus feet which destroy all ignorance, therefore, O Thou friend of the lowly, Thou art my only refuge.

2. Spiritual powers, reverence, and worship which put an end to this cycle of birth and death are enough indeed to lead to the greatest Truth. But this while finding utterance through the mouth is not at all being brought home to my heart. Therefore, O Thou friend of the lowly, Thou art my only refuge.

3. If devotion is directed to Thee, O Ramakrishna, the way of Divine Truth, then with desires all fulfilled in Thee, they forthwith cross over this sea of Rajas: for Thy feet are like nectar to the mortals, quelling the waves of death. Therefore, O Thou friend of the lowly, Thou art my only refuge.

4. O Thou dispeller of illusion, Thy name ending in "shna", pure and auspicious, converts sinfulness to purity. Because, O Thou the only goal of all beings, shelter have I none, therefore Thou art, O friend of the lowly, my only refuge.

Swami Vivekananda

« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:03:38 PM by Jewell »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 11, 2013, 01:12:58 PM »
Do not get involved by arguing, fighting, trying to change things. Just observe. If you can observe without getting excited, then you've passed that test and you will not have to repeat it.

~ Robert Adams