Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 358350 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #570 on: February 16, 2013, 06:59:26 AM »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 14, 2013, 04:20:22 PM »
:) he hee :) a casual note: in my absence ... this forum is very calm and peaceful :), everyone agreeing with everyone else and saying "very well said ! Sabash!!"

I heartily laughed at your observation Udai.

Especially 'Sabash'  --  very humorous to visualize what you have conveyed.

What to do Udai?  This seems like a fancy dress competion --  we are all dressing in our favourite role,  coming to this forum and speak something.

The moment we realize it is all a drama,  we will go away from this stage and disappear!!!!!!

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 25, 2013, 01:54:10 PM »
Friends,
An excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

"Men often think they have understood Brahman fully. Once an ant went to a hill of sugar.
One grain filled its stomach. Taking another grain in its mouth it started homeward. On its
way it thought, 'Next time I shall carry home the whole hill.' That is the way shallow minds
think. They don't know that Brahman is beyond one's words and thought
. However great a
man may be, how much can he know of Brahman? Sukadeva and sages like him may have
been big ants; but even they could carry at the utmost eight or ten grains of sugar!

"As for what has been said in the Vedas and the Puranas, do you know what it is like?
Suppose a man has seen the ocean, and somebody asks him, 'Well, what is the ocean like?'
The first man opens his mouth as wide as he can and says: 'What a sight! What tremendous
waves and sounds!' The description of Brahman in the sacred books is like that. It is said in
the Vedas that Brahman is of the nature of Bliss - It is Satchidananda.
"Suka and other sages stood on the shore of this Ocean of Brahman and saw and touched
the water. According to one school of thought they never plunged into it. Those who do,
cannot come back to the world again

Namaskar

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 25, 2013, 07:52:22 PM »
Friends,
An excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
MASTER: "Jnana is the realization of Self through the process of 'Neti, neti', 'Not this, not
this'. One goes into samadhi through this process of elimination and realizes the Atman.
"But vijnana means Knowledge with a greater fullness. Some have heard of milk, some
have seen milk, and some have drunk milk. He who has merely heard of it is 'ignorant'. He
who has seen it is a jnani. But he who has drunk it has vijnana, that is to say, a fuller
knowledge of it. After having the vision of God one talks to Him as if He were an intimate
relative. That is vijnana
"First of all you must discriminate, following the method of 'Neti, neti': 'He is not the five
elements, nor the sense-organs, nor the mind, nor the intelligence, nor the ego. He is
beyond all these cosmic principles.' You want to climb to the roof; then you must eliminate
and leave behind all the steps one by one. The steps are by no means the roof. But after
reaching the roof you find that the steps are made of the same materials―brick, lime, and
brick-dust―as the roof. It is the Supreme Brahman that has become the universe and its
living beings and the twenty-four cosmic principles. That which is Atman has become the
five elements. You may ask why the earth is so hard, if it has come out of Atman? All is
possible through the will of God. Don't you see that bone and flesh are made from blood
and semen? How hard 'sea-foam' becomes!
"After attaining vijnana one can live in the world as well. Then one clearly realizes that
God Himself has become the universe and all living beings, that He is not outside the
world."

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 25, 2013, 08:01:58 PM »
Sri Ramakrishna on VijnAna continued....

"To know many things is ajnana, ignorance. To know only one thing is jnana, Knowledge ,the
realization that God alone is real and that He dwells in all. And to talk to Him is
vijnana, a fuller Knowledge. To love God in different ways, after realizing Him, is vijnana."

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 25, 2013, 08:06:37 PM »
Parable of the elephant and the blind men
"Once some blind men chanced to come near an animal that someone told them was an
elephant. They were asked what the elephant was like. The blind men began to feel its
body. One of them said the elephant was like a pillar; he had touched only its leg. Another
said it was like a winnowing-fan; he had touched only its ear. In this way the others, having
touched its tail or belly, gave their different versions of the elephant. Just so, a man who has
seen only one aspect of God limits God to that alone. It is his conviction that God cannot be
anything else."

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 27, 2013, 08:56:35 PM »
Alcohol, meat, Rajasic foods, cinema, novel-reading, obscene songs, obscene sights, evil company, obscene talks will make the wheel of mind revolve very rapidly whereas fruits, Sattvic food, company of Mahatmas, study of religious books, solitude, Japa, Kirtan, concentration, meditation, enquiry of ‘Who am I?’ will slow down the wheel and eventually bring it down to a standstill.

- Swami Sivananda
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 27, 2013, 09:20:18 PM »
An excerpt from a Talk by Sage TGN:TRAINED  MIND  IS  YOUR  BEST  GURU
Thanks Ravi for sharing that .I keep reading that article from TGN's book "Practical Philosophy for Peace and Prosperity "and the above quote : Trained Mind is your best Guru has become a sort of pointer for me .
Unfortunately how to train the mind has never been taught in Schools nor at home and hence we have to learn this by trial and error .No doubt lot of Mind traning is available outside but those are very superficial ( they are more like concentration exercises ) and do not look at the mind in its holistic sense in the way our Shastras  look at the mind .
The entire Science of Yoga is about this training of Mind but later when we come to Vedanta we question even the existence of Mind . That is why Swami Sivananda combined both these Sciences together i.e  Yoga & Vedanta - Yoga for training the mind first and then Vedanta to pursue Atma Jnana with a well trained mind ( mind trained in all respects ) .
The book Mind ,Its Mysteries and Control by Swami Sivananda is a Classic book dealing with training the mind through Yoga .

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 29, 2013, 07:05:44 AM »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 29, 2013, 09:08:07 AM »
Atmavichar(Krishna),

I keep reading that article from TGN's book "Practical Philosophy for Peace and Prosperity "and the above quote : Trained Mind is your best Guru has become a sort of pointer for me .
Unfortunately how to train the mind has never been taught in Schools nor at home and hence we have to learn this by trial and error .No doubt lot of Mind traning is available outside but those are very superficial ( they are more like concentration exercises ) and do not look at the mind in its holistic sense in the way our Shastras  look at the mind.

Yes Krishna.The key word here is wholistic,and this is to live life fully and in consonance with the very purpose of Living,which is to realise the unity that underlies the vast diversity-the joy of it.
Towards this Master TGN lays stress on two aspects-aRa vAzhkai+mai poruL nAttam அறவாழ்க்கை + மெய்ப்பொருள் நாட்டம்=தவம் Tapas.
The beauty of TGN's teaching is that it is eclectic,non sectarian,and wholistic-There is no exclusive emphasis on any one aspect to that of any other.The Fundamentals of Living are often reinforced and are given the maximum emphasis.This is backed by TGN's example-He just lives what he teaches.

At the moment he is covering HastAmalakam.This is the announcement as given in the website:
1.       Talk on 'HASTAMALAKAM'   at 7 p.m    on  Sundays  from  10th  February, 2013   to   5th May, 2013.
2.       CD release :   'Sage TIRUVALLUVAR : Life & Message'  Talks  (in Tamil)
3.       CD release :   'BHARATI  THE  PHILOSOPHER – Vol.9   :   Bharati in state of constant Awareness '   Talks  (in Tamil)
4.       CD release :   'YOGA VAASISHTAM'  45 days Talks  (in Tamil)

TGN's approach is not at all academic and he simply uses the subject matter as just a peg and adopts a free format presentation that takes into account the mix of listeners in the crowd that he intuits in a moment.Each one of the listener will become aware that some of their key doubts/issues are addressed in the talks.

TGN always emphasizes அறவாழ்க்கை Dharmic Living.He never tires of Quoting this Tirukkural:
ஈதல் இசைபட வாழ்தல் அதுவல்லது
ஊதியம் இல்லை உயிர்க்கு (verse 231)

Swami Sivananda's writings are always a favourite of mine.As I said that the Pocket Book-Light Power and wisdom is one of my favourites.This is all that is required for any ardent seeker.
Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 29, 2013, 09:25:28 AM »
Swami Sivananda's writings are always a favourite of mine.As I said that the Pocket Book-Light Power and wisdom is one of my favourites.This is all that is required for any ardent seeker.
Namaskar.
A free download of the book "Light ,Power and Wisdom " by Swami Sivananda can be found in this link below :

http://www.dlshq.org/download/lightpower.pdf

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 31, 2013, 10:09:49 AM »
Friends,
Yesterday ,on the occasion of the birth anniversary of swami Yogananda,a direct disciple of Sri Ramakrishna , there was a Talk by Swami Damodarananda on 'The 5 Great Mahapurushas I met' at the Ramakrishna Mutt,Mylapore,Chennai .Swamiji is 95 and as he walked on his crutches to the stage was helped by a Brahmachari attendant to sit in the chair.Once seated,he spoke on his meeting Sri Bhagavan in 1939!He also spoke about his darshan of Sri Chandrasekara Bharati Swami, the then Sankaracharya of Sringeri peetam as also other Great Swamijis of the R K Mutt who were disciples of the Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi.Swamiji was simple like a child and spoke with wonderful clarity in English.His reminiscences on Sri Bhagavan are quite interesting and he recalled all that he has mentioned in this article in the Mountain Path(October-December 2009).He interspersed his talks with the Tamizh words that Sri Bhagavan had used;interesting was that incident where Sri Bhagavan ,at about 05:00 hrs one morning, after seasoning coconut chutney  with mustard seeds fried in oil, gave a little to taste to the people in the Kitchen and after tasting a little himself(Swami Damodarananda lifted his hands above and demonstrated how Sri Bhagavan tasted the Chutney by pouring it directly from the ladle into his mouth without allowing his lips to touch it)-Sri Bhagavan asked the others with a twinkle in his eyes-Chutney idli kekkardha?(Is the chutney now asking for the Idli?) :
http://www.vedantasydney.org/Swami_Damodarananda_with_Ramana_Maharishi.pdf

An article on Swami Damodarananda is here:
http://www.indiandownunder.com.au/2012/01/an-epitome-of-love-damodarananda/

After the talk devotees were permitted to go over to the stage to offer their pranams and Swamiji gave each devotee a few chocolates and a small photograph with the pictures of Sri Ramakrishna ,The Holy mother and Swami Vivekananda;before giving this prasad,he raised his hands above his head and then gave it to the devotees chanting 'Jaya Ramakrishna,Sri Ramakrishna'.

Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 31, 2013, 10:41:26 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

I have read Sri Yogananda’s magnum Opus, ‘An Autobiography of a Yogi’. From this book, I learnt that Sri Yoganada was a great disciple of Sage Sri Yukteshwar Giri whose Ashram is located somewhere in West Bengal. Sri Yukteshwar Giri was the disciple of the famous Sage Sri Lahari Mahashaya who taught ‘Kriya Yoga’. I also learnt from that book that Sri Lahari Mahashaya was the disciple of the Maha Avatar Sri Baba Ji who is still supposed to be embodied for thousand of years now, whose Abode is believed to be located somewhere in the Great Himalayas. 

Thanks very much, sir.
Pranam,
  Anil

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 31, 2013, 12:57:44 PM »
Anil

Swami yogananda was a direct disciple of sri ramakrishna .Yesterday his birth anniversary was celebrated at the R K Mutt chennai.
Here is an article on swami yogananda:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swami_Yogananda
What you have mentioned about paramahansa yogananda is indeed true.
Namaskar

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 31, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji. Yes. Thanks very much for your response, sir. I didn’t know that Swami Sri Yogananda and Paramhamsa Sri Yogananda are two different divine persons and that the former is the direct disciple of Paramhamsa Sri Ramakrishna. As I said before, I read ‘An Autobiography of a Yogi’ in the early nineties, and was so inspired that I wished to visit Sri Yogananda’s Ranchi Centre and get initiated into ‘Kriyayoga’. Some of my friends even went there and were initiated into this Path. However, I didn’t go. Perhaps I was destined to come to the Lotus Feet of Sri Bhagwan and practice Atma-vichara as taught by Him.

Pranam,
  Anil