Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 314935 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #540 on: December 24, 2012, 10:17:39 PM »

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: December 25, 2012, 05:20:11 AM »
Anil,

"Those who believe that the Self can be discovered BY THE MIND either through affirmation, such as ‘I am Brahman’ or through negation, such as ‘I am not this, I am not that’.This, in my view, is the root of myriad misconceptions"

Yes Anil Bhai.The very story of Brahma and Vishnu failing to find the feet and crest of the Lord who appeared as a column of Light signifies just this.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #542 on: December 25, 2012, 05:26:43 AM »
Nagaraj,
wonderful painting capturing the supreme state of Being of the Divine couple-our Mother Sri Sarada Devi and Sri Ramakrishna.In bangalore R K Mutt,there is a rock on which Holy Mother had sat .It is marked as a Holy spot.
Our Holy Mother was asked by a Disciple-'Mother ,you are so bashful.How come you accepted to be worshipped by Sri Ramakrishna?'.
The Holy Mother's simple reply was-'At that time,I was not myself'.
Thanks very much Nagaraj for the wonderful illustrations that accompany the saying of the Master in The Teachings of Sri Ramakrishna thread.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 05, 2013, 09:04:48 AM »
Hari,
I understand what you are saying.I have had first hand experience of this quite a few times-3 years back when my younger sister's only 18 year old son was killed in a tragic road accident when on a picnic-He had joined college and they had got him a new laptop,a New Motorcycle,A Guitar.6 months back ,her husband passed away.
All i could do was, just after cremation of the teenaged son,I handed over a copy of the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna to my sister.She opened it and found this song:

Then the Master sang the following song in his melodious voice:
In the world's busy market-place, O Syama, Thou art flying kites;
High up they soar on the wind of hope, held fast by maya's string.
Their frames are human skeletons, their sails of the three gunas made;
But all their curious workmanship is merely for ornament.
Upon the kite-strings Thou hast rubbed the manja-paste of worldliness,
So as to make each straining strand all the more sharp and strong.
Out of a hundred thousand kites, at best but one or two break free;
And Thou dost laugh and clap Thy hands, O Mother, watching them!
On favouring winds, says Ramprasad, the kites set loose will speedily
Be borne away to the Infinite, across the sea of the world.

The Master said: "The Divine Mother is always playful and sportive. This universe is Her
play. She is self-willed and must always have Her own way. She is full of bliss. She gives
freedom to one out of a hundred thousand."

This immediately gave her a big relief.What happens is that the Grief is still there but now it plays on the surface of a Great calm;whereas earlier it would have surrounded and overwhelmed one.
Sister visited The Holy Places of Kamarpukur and Jayarambati just 3 months after her husband's death.Now she is alone.She has been spiritually inclined and kind hearted since birth and has learnt to take things in the stride.When we were young,we lived in a joint family in our grandpa's house in old madras.Quite often the sparrows used to build their nest in a verandah and sometimes the young ones ,newly born used to fall down.Sister used to nurse them by feeding them with a broomstick tip;they hardly survived and were gone after 3 or 4 days.Cats used to drop their kittens and we used to give them milk and food and they gambolled and played with us as we returned from school.They also died within 3 months when it appeared that they are on the verge of making it on their own.Sister who was 11 or 12 then used to cry and was inconsolable.
Just to add to the story,The Dalmation that she had also passed away 6 months after her son was killed.He used to call that Dalmation as his younger brother.
I will post from Sri Ramakrishna and His Divine Play,a little later on this subject.
Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 12, 2013, 03:26:43 PM »
Remembering Swami Vivekananda on the 150th birth anniversary. Sri Ravi, thanks for your series of posts on Swami Vivekananda. I am sure, there will seldom be a spiritual person and who has some spiritual books, and who will not have at least one book that is published by Ramakrishna Math. We all owe our gratitude to the Great Saint, who was the 20th Century Shankara who lit the light of Sanathana Dharma yet again. Swamiji's life does remind us a similarity with that of Adi Shankara, who also lived for a short span of life and whose talks were so powerful as the thunder.

Imagining how i would have flourished without a Ramakrishna Math and the repository of books that hey have published over the years. I can never forget the wonderful pocket sized books that i used to buy and get from others, which are gigantic in spirit even though they are small. They have verily stamped in my heart the spirit of Sanathana Dharma and have even been the guiding principles since then.

I found one of the books that is simply wonderful, sharing the same with you all, simple click the link and download.

http://www.rkmfiji.org/sites/default/files/Vivekananda%20Power%20Capsules.pdf

Gratitude,

« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:28:27 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 12, 2013, 03:52:49 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Yes. Sri Ramakrishna Math is quite famous for its huge repository of published books on Upanishads, Brahmasutras, direct disciples
of Sri Ramakrishna, very many books, small and big on Sankara's and other stotras. They are doing yeomen service in this regard.
Anna Subramanya Iyer is responsible for many many Tamizh books.

Arunachala Siva.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 14, 2013, 06:18:37 AM »
Nagaraj/Subramanian/Friends,
Indeed the publications of the Sri Ramakrishna mutt are ubiquitous and have been accessible to most seekers.Yet,the wonderful thing is the Rich legacy of thyaga or renunciation that is still living and vibrant in the shape of the Gallant band of sannyasins and bright faced Brahmacharins who grace this order.The quiet and unobtrusive way they carry the multifarious activities of the mutt and mission is truly a marvel-Nothing is impossible for these great ones.Many of these are highly qualified and would have made their mark in any other field as socialogists,engineers,doctors,Mathematicians,etc;yet they were inspired to give up all and take to the life of renunciation!To spend 5 minutes in their company is satsangha of the highest order.

Here is an excerpt from the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna,where Sri Ramakrishna is down with cancer and is conversing with the young disciples,and is referring to this sort of renunciation:
Master about himself
A few minutes later he says to M., "If the body were to be preserved a few days more,
many people would have their spirituality awakened."
He pauses a few minutes.
"But this is not to be. This time the body will not be preserved."
The devotees eagerly await the Master's next words.
"Such is not the will of God. This time the body will not be preserved, lest, finding me
guileless and foolish, people should take advantage of me, and lest I, guileless and foolish
as I am, should give away everything to everybody. In this Kaliyuga, you see, people are
averse to meditation and japa."
RAKHAL (tenderly): "Please speak to God that He may preserve your body some time
more."
MASTER: "That depends on God's will."
NARENDRA: "Your will and God's will have become one."
Sri Ramakrisna remains silent. He appears to be thinking about something.
MASTER (to Narendra, Rakhal, and the others): "And nothing will happen if I speak to
God. Now I see that I and the Mother have become one. For fear of her sister-in-law, Radha
said to Krishna, 'Please dwell in my heart.' But when, later on, she became very eager for a
vision of Krishna-so eager that her heart pined and panted for her Beloved-He would not
come out."
RAKHAL (in a low voice, to the devotees): "He is referring to God's incarnation as
Gauranga."
The devotees sit silently in the room. Sri Ramakrishna looks at them tenderly. Then he
places his hand on his heart He is about to speak.
MASTER (to Narendra and the others): "There are two persons in this. One, the Divine
Mother-"
He pauses. The devotees eagerly look at him to hear what he will say next.
MASTER: "Yes, One is She. And the other is Her devotee. It is the devotee who broke his
arm, and it is the devotee who is now ill. Do you understand?"
The devotees sit without uttering a word.
MASTER: "Alas! To whom shall I say all this? Who will understand me?" Pausing a few
moments, he says:
"God becomes man, an Avatar, and comes to earth with His devotees. And the devotee
leave the world with Him
."
RAKHAL: "Therefore we pray that you may not go away and leave us behind."
Sri Ramakrishna smiles and says:
"A band of minstrels suddenly appears, dances, and sings, and it departs in the same sudden
manner. They come and they return, but none recognizes them."

continued....

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 14, 2013, 06:35:22 AM »
Master on Renuciation as excerpted from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna continued...

The Master and the devotees smile.
After a few minutes he says:
"Suffering is inevitable when one assumes a human body.
"Every now and then I say to myself, 'May I not have to come back to earth again!' But
there is something else. After enjoying sumptuous feasts outside, one does not relish cheap
home cooking.
"Besides, this assuming of a human body is for the sake of the devotees."
Sri Ramakrishna looks at Narendra very tenderly.
Master teaches Narendra Brahmajnana
MASTER (to Narendra) : "An outcaste was carrying a load of meat. Sankaracharya, after
bathing in the Ganges, was passing by. Suddenly the outcaste touched him. Sankara said
sharply: 'What! You touched me!' 'Revered sir,' he replied, 'I have not touched you nor have
you touched me. Reason with me: Are you the body, the mind, or the buddhi? Analyse
what you are. You are the Pure Atman, unattached and free, unaffected by the three gunassattva,
rajas, and tamas.'
"Do you know what Brahman is like? It is like air. Good and bad smells are carried by the
air, but the air itself is unaffected."
NARENDRA: "Yes, sir."
MASTER: "He is beyond the gunas and maya-beyond both the 'maya of knowledge' and
the 'maya of ignorance'. 'Woman and gold' is the 'maya of ignorance'. Knowledge,
renunciation, devotion, and other spiritual qualities are the splendours of the 'maya of
knowledge'.
"Ego of Knowledge"
Sankaracharya kept this 'maya of knowledge'; and that you and these others feel concerned
about me is also due to this 'maya of knowledge'
"Following the 'maya of knowledge' step by step, one attains the Knowledge of Brahman.
This 'maya of knowledge' may be likened to the last few steps of the stairs. Next is the roof.
Some, even after reaching the roof, go up and down the stairs; that is to say, some even
after realizing God, retain the 'ego of Knowledge'. They retain this in order to teach others,
taste divine bliss, and sport with the devotees of God."

NARENDRA: "Some people get angry with me when I speak of renunciation."
MASTER (in a whisper): "Renunciation is necessary.
(Pointing to his different limbs) "If one thing is placed upon another, you must remove the
one to get the other. Can you get the second thing without removing the first?"

NARENDRA: "True, sir."
MASTER (in a whisper, to Narendra): "When one sees everything filled with God alone,
does one see anything else?"
NARENDRA: "Must one renounce the world?"
MASTER: "Didn't I say just now: 'When one sees everything filled with God alone, does
one see anything else?' Does one then see any such thing as the world
?
"I mean mental renunciation. Not one of those who have come here is a worldly person.
Some of them had a slight desire-for instance, a fancy for woman. (Rakhal and M. smile.)
And that desire has been fulfilled."
The Master looks at Narendra tenderly and becomes filled with love. Looking at the
devotees, he says, "Grand!"
With a smile Narendra asks the Master, "What is grand?"
MASTER (smiling): "I see that preparations are going on for a grand renunciation."
Narendra and the devotees look silently at the Master. Rakhal resumes the conversation.
RAKHAL (smiling, to the Master): "Narendra is now beginning to understand you rather
well."
Sri Ramakrishna laughs and says: "Yes, that is so. I see that many others, too, are beginning
to understand. (To M.) Isn't that so?"

M: "Yes, sir."

If we read the life and teachings of Swami vivekananda,we are left mute with wonder.How so much was accomplished in such a short time and the momentum is still at large.Here is an excerpt from the letter Swamiji wrote to G.G Narasimhacharia on 11th january 1895:
"In future do not pay any heed to what people say either for or against you or me. Work on, be lions; and the Lord will bless you. I shall work incessantly until I die, and even after death I shall work for the good of the world. Truth is infinitely more weighty than untruth; so is goodness. If you possess these, they will make their way by sheer gravity"
Namaskar

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Gopaler-ma (Aghoremani Devi )
« Reply #548 on: January 16, 2013, 06:46:24 PM »
'Ah, there is nothing inside this body but God. He fills it through and through' -

Sri Ramakrishna on Gopaler-ma.

Aghoremani Devi was born of a brahmin family about the year 1822 at Kamarhati, a northern suburb of Calcutta. Following the social custom of child marriage, she was married at the age of nine. Her wedding was the first and last time she saw her husband, for he died before the marriage was consummated, leaving her a widow of fourteen years of age. However, she was initiated into spiritual life by her husband's family guru and, with the child Krishna as her Chosen Deity, she was given the 'Gopala mantram'. Since a Hindu brahmin widow does not remarry, the love and energy that Aghoremani would have given her husband and children were diverted towards her beloved Gopala. It was Divine Providence that her one-pointed devotion was to make her a saint instead of a faithful housewife.

After the death of her parents she went to live at the temple garden of Govinda Datta at Kamarhati, where her brother was the priest of the Radha-Krishna temple. It was a large estate, located on the bank of the Ganga. Govinda's widow, the owner and manager of the temple, was a very pious woman who lived like a nun. She practiced severe austerities, such as sleeping on the floor, bathing three times and eating one meal a day, and observing religious vows, daily worship, japam and meditation. She was looking for a companion, and through her priest she found Aghoremani, who had a similar nature and spiritual inclination. Aghoremani was also very happy to have the opportunity to live in a solitary, holy place on the bank of the Ganga.

................... to read more, please follow the link below:

http://www.hinduism.fsnet.co.uk/namoma/life_others/life_gopaler_ma.htm

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 17, 2013, 07:32:18 AM »
nagaraj/friends,
Rare indeed to find a devotee like gopaler ma!I have posted about this great one here in this very thread,see page 8 of this thread:
http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=6940.105
There is a wonderful picture of our Holy Mother and sister nivedita serving gopaler-ma during her last days on terra firma in this thread.
Most wonderful is the interaction of Gopaler ma and Narendra that sri Ramakrishna brought about by asking them to converse!

"One day, however, Gopaler-ma and Narendranath chanced to be present at Dakshineshwar at the same time. Gopaler-ma was uneducated, unsophisticated, simple, and a devout worshipper of God with form; Narendranath, on the other hand, was learned, sophisticated, intelligent, and a staunch believer in the formless God. As a member of the Brahmo Samaj, he looked down on worship of God with form. Sri Ramakrishna had a tremendous sense of humour, so he engaged these two devotees, with their opposing points of view, in a discussion by requesting Gopaler-ma to relate her visions to Narendranath.

‘But will there not be harm in telling them?’ she asked. Assured by him that it would be all right, she related all her visions in detail to Narendranath with overwhelming joy and tears.

Devotion is contagious. Narendranath, in spite of his manly exterior and faith in rationalism, could not control his tears. His heart was filled with love and religious fervour. The old lady now and then interrupted her story to say: ‘my son, you are learned and intelligent, and I am a poor, illiterate widow. I don’t understand anything. Please tell me, are these visions true?’

‘Yes, Mother, whatever you have seen is all true,’ Narendranath assured her."

Such is the power of simplicity and true devotion!

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 17, 2013, 10:33:25 AM »
Thanks for the link Sri Ravi, truly Gopaler ma is maa, mother, there are no boundaries, you feel at so much ease with her, it arouses a feeling of child to a mother, we may not be so well versed with our sadhanas, we may not be perfect, we may have so many defects, but, somehow it brings up that feeling of ease with gopaler ma, while all others somehow or the other did give love medicine, it feels like gopaler ma only gives love... it feels at absolute ease to be yourself to Her.

Like how in the Ramayana, Shravan Kumar stands out even though he appears in just small instance when Dasaratha goes hunting and kills his parents imagining them as some animals, in the similar, it feels from within, Gopaler ma, stands out as rare unique gem or star, that shines brightly. thanks so much,

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: February 07, 2013, 06:57:08 AM »
Friends,
An excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

"The manifold has come from the One alone, the Relative from the Absolute. There is a
state of consciousness where the many disappears, and the One, as well; for the many must
exist as long as the One exists
. Brahman is without comparison. It is impossible to explain
Brahman by analogy."

All assertions that one is free ,that one has realized are simply product of ignorance.'One' cannot be free.It is as simple as that.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #552 on: February 07, 2013, 11:10:45 AM »
udai/Friends,

Anyways, Ravi ji when you say "It is one's mind that creates all these distinctions in trying to understand ... as it distinguishes between the Self and the Physical ... " etc are all mind too !

How do you know I have not gone and met any of these saints?

Friends , Self abidance/living in mindfulness ... this is spirituality , isnt it ?
If that is so , what role has meeting a teacher got to do with it ? Thats my question.

Regarding Ramana's statement .... He once laughed at someone and said "Here is someone who stayed with me for 40 years and thinks he can go away from me" !! The Presence of Ramana is everywhere. He does not encourage any "Physical" presence. He even told Annamalai Swami not to meet him . More over he told Papaji also to go and said "I am with you wherever you go" !! Ramana is with us wherever one is. ITs not physical contant he talked about.

Lastly, Ravi ji:
Who says Self is not physical ? ... this is typical lack of understanding of bhagatyaga lakshanam ... so I wont go deep into it because its more of innocent talk born out of ignorance of basics of scriptural enquiry methods. I dont expect this from you who are pretty well read ... but then this is a result of lack of systematic study and nothing more.

1.you are asking 'who says Self is not Physical?'.
It is your first question to Krishna.Please refer to your post.So,in case you have a change of view,it is for you to see what is what.

How do you know I have not gone and met any of these saints?

Where did I say that?I have only said that one needs to go with an 'Open mind'.
Please refer your statement ,in your subsequent last post to Krishna,where you have gone to lengths to make it appear that you are genuinely interested in knowing how a Saint can affect others without teaching!Here is what you posted:
I am asking this question because I want to know how it effects the disciples. Its not to hurt. We need not get very defensive about Mother. My question is not just about Mother. Its about disciples who received direct "experience" from Bhagavan Ramana's presence. Since I cannot find a Ramana devotee who met Ramana directly I am asking about anyone else who met a live saint. The question is not to belittle. I ask because I feel that a guru can give some subtle clues in the form of their lifestyle + a teaching.

A guru who does not teach, how he can influence a spiritual change is somethign I did not understand and this question was only to know abt it

Udai,you first need to ascertain your position here.Are you asking all this as an earnest seeker wanting to know?Or are you posing questions to let others see the light,even though you seem to prefix with:
Please excuse me for my ignorance here. I have a few queries

If you already know what self abidance and spirituality is,how come you seem to be asking such Naive questions?So,I suggest that you make your position clear.We may then examine each and everyone of your questions,if need be.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #553 on: February 07, 2013, 12:03:44 PM »
Udai,
If you are curious how it helps;well it depends on what you mean by 'Help'.
Since you referred to Sri Bhagavan as follows:
Regarding Ramana's statement .... He once laughed at someone and said "Here is someone who stayed with me for 40 years and thinks he can go away from me" !! The Presence of Ramana is everywhere. He does not encourage any "Physical" presence. He even told Annamalai Swami not to meet him . More over he told Papaji also to go and said "I am with you wherever you go" !! Ramana is with us wherever one is. ITs not physical contant he talked about

Here is an excerpt from The Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi,which we have discussed earlier as well:
Talk 273.
Dr. Syed asked: I have been reading the Five Hymns. I find that the
hymns are addressed to Arunachala by you. You are an Advaitin. How
do you then address God as a separate Being?
M.: The devotee, God and the Hymns are all the Self.
D.: But you are addressing God. You are specifying this Arunachala
Hill as God.
M.: You can identify the Self with the body. Should not the devotee
identify the Self with Arunachala?
D.: If Arunachala be the Self why should it be specially picked out
among so many other hills? God is everywhere. Why do you specify
Him as Arunachala?

M.: What has attracted you from Allahabad to this place? What has
attracted all these people around?
D.: Sri Bhagavan.
M.: How was I attracted here? By Arunachala. The Power cannot be
denied. Again Arunachala is within and not without. The Self is
Arunachala.

It is quite clear that there is no contradiction in any of these things.Any spiritual aspirant will be in a position to realize this.
As long as the seeker is not established in the Self,he may take recourse to all these aspects and they are all quite effective and valid.No doubt about this.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: February 07, 2013, 12:25:43 PM »
The heart of the devotee is God's drawing-room. One can easily find one's master in the drawing-room. Therefore, by
worshipping His devotee, one worships God Himself.

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna