Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 342312 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #480 on: December 03, 2012, 06:19:13 AM »
Do you know how I feel then? I feel like a fish
released from a pot into the water of the Ganges."

:) I was just going to highlight this, Sri Jewel has been quicker in highlighting the same :)

Only the Master can come with something so simple and yet so profound. A layman can be able to discern or strive to 'know' that AnandA, or get an idea of libration should be like, which will motivate one to aspire for liberation.

wonderful.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 03, 2012, 06:25:11 AM »
Yes,truly motivational and inspirational. I already feel free,by reading this only.  :)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 03, 2012, 06:59:07 AM »
Jewell/Nagaraj/Friends,
Yes indeed.Sri Ramakrishna had this gift of expressing subtle truths in a homely fashion and make it tangible for the layman.Here are a couple of passages in The Gospel where he explains this to M.

"It was the day of the new moon. Gradually night descended and dense darkness enveloped
the trees and the temples. A few lights shone here and there in the temple garden. The black
sky was reflected in the waters of the Ganges.

The Master went to the verandah south of his room. A spiritual mood was the natural state
of his mind. The dark night of the new moon, associated with the black complexion of Kali,
the Divine Mother, intensified his spiritual exaltation. Now and then he repeated "Om" and
the name of Kali.

He lay down on a mat and whispered to M.

MASTER: "Yes, God can be seen. X- has had a vision of God. But don't tell anyone about
it. Tell me, which do you like better, God with form, or the formless Realitv?"

M: "Sir, nowadays I like to think of God without form. But I am also beginning to
understand that it is God alone who manifests Himself through different forms."

MASTER: "Will you take me in a carriage some day to Mati Seal's garden house at
Belgharia? When you throw puffed rice into the lake there, the fish come to the surface and
eat it. Ah! I feel so happy to see them sport in the water. That will awaken your spiritual
consciousness too. You will feel as if the fish of the human soul were playing in the Ocean
of Satchidananda. In the same manner, I go into an ecstatic mood when I stand in a big
meadow. I feel like a fish released from a bowl into a lake".

The Master is broaching the Topic of the Formless aspect of God on a new moon day and at night time!The uniqueness of The Gospel is that it captures all this ambience and not just the conversation,thus adding to the vividness for reliving these moments.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 03, 2012, 07:03:36 AM »
Mani Sen said good-bye to the invited brahmins and Vaishnavas with suitable gifts of
money. He offered five rupees to Sri Ramakrishna. The latter said that he could not
possibly accept any money. But Mani insisted. The Master then asked him in the name of
his guru not to press him. Mani requested him again to accept the offering. Sri Ramakrishna
asked M., in a distressed voice, whether he should take the money. The disciple made a
vehement protest and said, "No, sir. By no means."

Friends of Mani Sen gave the money to Rakhal, requesting him to buy some mangoes and
sweets for the Master. Sri Ramakrishna said to M.: "I have definitely said to Mani that I
would not accept the money. I feel free now. But Rakhal has accepted it. His is now the
responsibility."

Sri Ramakrishna, accompanied by the devotees, took a carriage to return to Dakshineswar.
They were going to pass the temple garden of Mati Seal on the way. For a long time the
Master had been asking M. to take him to the reservoir in the garden in order that he might
teach him how to meditate on the formless God. There were tame fish in the reservoir.
Nobody harmed them. Visitors threw puffed rice and other bits of food into the water, and
the big fish came in swarms to eat the food. Fearlessly the fish swam in the water and
sported there joyously.

Coming to the reservoir, the Master said to M.: "Look at the fish. Meditating on the
formless God is like swimming joyfully like these fish, in the Ocean of Bliss and
Consciousness."

This is how the Master actually showed to devotees what he meant by his words,and gave them a tangible clue to the inexpressible.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 03, 2012, 09:40:08 AM »
Nagaraj/Friends,
Here are some excerpts from The Gospel where M literally abides by the words of Sri Ramakrishna and stays away from Family.

Saturday, December 29, 1883

It was the day of the new moon, auspicious for the worship of the Divine Mother. At one
o'clock in the afternoon Sri Ramakrishna got into a carriage to visit the temple of Kali at
Kalighat. He intended to stop at Adhar's house on the way, since Adhar was to accompany
him to the temple. While the carriage was waiting near the north porch of the Master's
room, M. went to the Master and said, "Sir, may I also go with you?"

MASTER: "Why?"

M: "I should like to visit my home in Calcutta."

Sri Ramakrishna reflected a moment and said: "Must you go home? Why? You are quite all
right here."

M. wanted to see his people a few hours, but evidently the Master did not approve.

Again,in continuation:
At eight o'clock that evening the Master was sitting in his room with Rakhal and M. It was
the twenty-first day of M.'s stay with Sri Ramakrishna
. The Master had forbidden him to
indulge in reasoning.
Futility of reasoning
MASTER (to Rakhal): "It is not good to reason too much. First comes God, and then the
world. Realize God first; then you will know all about His world. (To M. and Rakhal) If
first one is introduced to Jadu Mallick, then one can know everything about him-the
number of his houses, gardens, government securities, and so on. For this reason the rishi
Narada advised Valmiki1 to repeat the word 'mara'. 'Ma' means God, and 'ra' the world.
First comes God, and then the world. Krishnakishore said that the word 'mara' is a holy
mantra because it was given to Valmiki by the rishi. 'Ma' means God, and 'rā' the world.
"Therefore, like Valmiki, one should at first renounce everything and cry to God in solitude
with a longing heart. The first thing necessary is the vision of God; then comes reasoningabout
the scriptures and the world.
(To M.) "That is why I have been telling you not to reason any more. I came from the pinegrove
to say that to you. Through too much reasoning your spiritual life will be injured; you
will at last become like Hazra. I used to roam at night in the streets, all alone, and cry to the
Divine Mother, 'O Mother, blight with Thy thunderbolt my desire to reason!' Tell me that
you won't reason any more."
M: "Yes, sir. I won't reason any more."
MASTER: "Everything can be achieved through bhakti alone. Those who want the
Knowledge of Brahman will certainly achieve that also by following the trail of bhakti.

continued....

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 03, 2012, 10:12:20 AM »
Reasoning has to end, That is why I have been telling you not to reason any more.

Ramana said: The Beyond will take care of itself. You are helpless there. No effort can reach it.

Implicit faith, is a rare blessing!

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 03, 2012, 08:46:59 PM »
M's stay with the Master continued as in The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

Friday, January 4, 1884
Sri Ramakrishna was sitting in his room. M. was still staying with the Master, devoting his
time to the practice of spiritual discipline
. He had been spending a great part of each day in
prayer and meditation under the bel-tree
, where the Master had performed great austerities
and had seen many wonderful visions of God.

Master exhorts M. not to reason & Different attitudes toward God

MASTER (to M.): "Don't reason any more. In the end, reasoning only injures the aspirant.
One should assume a particular attitude toward God while praying to Him-the attitude of
friend or servant or son or 'hero'.

"I assume the attitude of a child. To me every woman is my mother. The divine Maya,
seeing this attitude in an aspirant, moves away from his path out of sheer shame.
"The attitude of 'hero' is extremely difficult. The Saktas and the Bauls among the
Vaishnavas follow it, but it is very hard to keep one's spiritual life pure in that attitude. One
can assume other attitudes toward God as well the attitude in which the devotee serenely
contemplates God as the Creator, the attitude of service to Him, the attitude of friendship,
the attitude of motherly affection, or the attitude of conjugal love. The conjugal
relationship, the attitude of a woman to her husband or sweetheart, contains all the restserenity,
service, friendship, and motherly affection. (To M.) Which one of these appeals to
your mind?"

M: "I like them all."

MASTER: "When one attains perfection one takes delight in all these relationships. In that
state a devotee has not the slightest trace of lust. The holy books of the Vaishnavas speak of
Chandidas and the washerwoman. Their love was entirely free from lust.
"In that state a devotee looks on himself as a woman. He does not regard himself as a man.
Sanatana Goswami refused to see Mirabai because she was a woman. Mira informed him
that at Vrindavan the only man was Krishna and that all others were His handmaids. 'Was it
right of Sanatana to think of himself as a man?' Mira inquired."

continued....

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 03, 2012, 08:49:56 PM »
M's stay with the Master continued as in The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna....

Saturday, January 5, 1884
It was the twenty-third day of M.'s stay with Sri Ramakrishna. M. had finished his midday
meal about one o'clock and was resting in the nahabat when suddenly he heard someone
call his name three or four times. Coming out, he saw Sri Ramakrishna calling to him from
the verandah north of his room.

M. saluted the Master and they conversed on the south verandah.

MASTER: "I want to know how you meditate. When I meditated under the bel-tree I used
to see various visions clearly. One day I saw in front of me money, a shawl, a tray of
sandesh and two women. I asked my mind, 'Mind, do you want any of these?' I saw the
sandesh to be mere filth. One of the women had a big ring in her nose. I could see both their
inside and outside-entrails, filth, bone, flesh, and blood. The mind did not want any of
these-money, shawl, sweets, or women. It remained fixed at the Lotus Feet of God".

"A small balance has two needles, the upper and the lower. The mind is the lower needle. I
was always afraid lest the mind should move away from the upper needle-God. Further, I
would see a man always sitting by me with a trident in his hand. He threatened to strike me
with it if the lower needle moved away from the upper one".

"But no spiritual progress is possible without the renunciation of 'woman and gold'. I
renounced these three: land, wife, and wealth. Once I went to the Registry Office to register
some land, the title of which was in the name of Raghuvir. The officer asked me to sign my
name; but I didn't do it, because I couldn't feel that it was 'my' land. I was shown much
respect as the guru of Keshab Sen. They presented me with mangoes, but I couldn't carry
them home. A sannyasi cannot lay things up".

"How can one expect to attain God without renunciation? Suppose one thing is placed upon
another; how can you get the second without removing the first?

continued....

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 03, 2012, 08:56:21 PM »

It was about four o'clock. Rakhal and several other devotees were listening to a kirtan by
M. in the hut at the Panchavati
. Rakhal went into a spiritual mood while listening to the
devotional song. After a while the Master came to the Panchavati accompanied by Baburam
and Harish. Other devotees followed.'

RAKHAL: "How well he [referring to M.] sang kirtan for us! He made us all very happy."

The Master sang in an ecstatic mood:
O friends, how great is my relief
To hear you chanting Krishna's name! . . .

To the devotees he said, "Always sing devotional songs" Continuing, he said: "To love God
and live in the company of the devotees: that is all. What more is there?"
He said, again:
"When Krishna went to Mathura, Yasoda came to Radha, who was absorbed in meditation.
Afterwards Radha said to Yasoda: 'I am the Primordial Energy. Ask a boon of Me.' 'What
other boon shall I ask of You?' said Yasoda. Only bless me that I may serve God with my
body, mind, and tongue; that I may behold His devotees with these eyes, that I may
meditate on Him with this mind, and that I may chant His name and glories with this
tongue.'

"But those who are firmly established in God may do as well without the devotees. This is
true of those who feel the presence of God both within and without
. Sometimes they don't
enjoy the devotees' company. You don't whitewash a wall inlaid with mother of pearl-the
lime won't stick
."

The Master returned presently from the Panchavati, talking to M.

MASTER: "You have the voice of a woman. Can't you practise a song such as this?
Tell me, friend, how far is the grove
Where Krishna, my Beloved, dwells?

(To M., pointing to Baburam) "You see, my own people have become strangers; Ramlal
and my other relatives seem to be foreigners. And strangers have become my own. Don't
you notice how I tell Baburam to go and wash his face? The devotees have become
relatives.

(Looking at the Panchavati) "I used to sit there. In course of time I became mad. That phase
also passed away. Kala, Siva, is Brahman. That which sports with Kala is Kali, the Primal
Energy. Kali moves even the Immutable."

Saying this, the Master sang:
My mind is overwhelmed with wonder,
Pondering the Mother's mystery;
Her very name removes
The fear of Kala, Death himself;
Beneath Her feet lies Maha-Kala. . . .

Then he said to M.: "Today is Saturday. Go to the temple of Kali."

continued....

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 03, 2012, 09:10:07 PM »

As the Master came to the bakul-tree he spoke to M. again: "Chidatma and Chitsakti. The
Purusha is the Chidatma and Prakriti the Chitsakti. Sri Krishna is the Chidatma and Sri
Radha the Chitsakti. The devotees are so many forms of the Chitsakti. They should think of
themselves as companions or handmaids of the Chitsakti, Sri Radha. This is the whole gist
of the thing.' "

After dusk Sri Ramakrishna went to the Kali temple and was pleased to see M. meditating
there.

The evening worship was over in the temples. The Master returned to his room and sat on
the couch, absorbed in meditation on the Divine Mother. M. sat on the floor. There was no
one else in the room

The Master was in samadhi. He began to come gradually down to the normal plane. His
mind was still filled with the consciousness of the Divine Mother. In that state he was
speaking to Her like a small child making importunate demands on his mother. He said in a
piteous voice: "Mother, why haven't You revealed to me that form of Yours, the form that
bewitches the world? I pleaded with You so much for it. But You wouldn't listen to me.
You act as You please."

The voice in which these words were uttered was very touching.

He went on: "Mother, one needs faith. Away with this wretched reasoning! Let it be
blighted! One needs faith-faith in the words of the guru, childlike faith
. The mother says to
her child, 'A ghost lives there'; and the child is firmly convinced that the ghost is there.
Again, the mother says to the child, 'A holy man is there', and the child is sure of it. Further,
the mother says, pointing to a man, 'He is your elder brother', and the child believes that the
man is one hundred and twenty-five per cent his brother. One needs faith
. But why should I
blame them, Mother? What can they do? It is necessary to go through reasoning once.
Didn't You see how much I told him about it the other day? But it all proved useless."

M never argued with the Master ,yet for days together he is listening to the same thing over and over again-'Away with Reasoning"!The Master is wiping out the deep hidden vasanas that a Great soul like M was not even conscious of!He is teaching a Great soul like M 'simple faith'!Just compare all this with what a smattering of learning does to us,how immediately we come to think that we are quite advanced and are self realized,and do not need all this kinder garden advices!!!
Living with a Guru like Sri Ramakrishna is a totally different order than what we may imagine it would be.The Master will not pander to comfortable armchair Sadhana-'I am the Self'. :)
continued....

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 03, 2012, 09:22:43 PM »

Master's prayer to the Divine Mother

The Master was weeping and praying to the Mother in a voice choked with emotion. He
prayed to Her with tearful eyes for the welfare of the devotees: "Mother, may those who
come to You have all their desires fulfilled! But please don't make them give up everything
at once, Mother. Well, You may do whatever You like in the end. If You keep them in the
world, Mother, then please reveal Yourself to them now and then. Otherwise, how will they
live? How will they be encouraged if they don't see You once in a while
? But You may do
whatever You like in the end."

Advice to M

The Master was still in the ecstatic mood. Suddenly he said to M: "Look here, you have had
enough of reasoning. No more of it. Promise that you won't reason any more."

M. (with folded hands): "Yes, sir. I won't."

MASTER: "You have had enough of it. When you came to me the first time, I told you
your spiritual Ideal. I know everything about you, do I not
?"

M. (with folded hands): "Yes, sir."

MASTER: "Yes, I know everything: what your Ideal is, who you are, your inside and
outside, the events of your past lives, and your future. Do I not?"

M. (with folded hands): "Yes, sir."

MASTER: "I scolded you on learning that you had a son. Now go home and live there. Let
them know that you belong to them. But you must remember in your heart of hearts that
you do not belong to them nor they to you
."

M. sat in silence. The Master went on instructing him.

MASTER: "You have now learnt to fly. But keep your loving relationship with your father.
Can't you prostrate yourself before him?"

M. (with folded hands): "Yes, sir. I can."

MASTER: "What more shall I say to you? You, know everything. You understand, don't
you?"

M. sat there without uttering a word.

MASTER: "You have understood, haven't you?"

M: "Yes, sir, I now understand a little."

MASTER: "No, you understand a great deal. Rakhal's father is pleased about his staying
here."

M. remained with folded hands.

MASTER: "Yes, what you are thinking will also come to pass."

We may note how the Master is telling M to Prostrate before his father!Just because he has done sadhana for 24 days with Sri Ramakrishna,does not mean that he can afford to become complacent!He tells M :"You have now learnt to fly. But keep your loving relationship with your father"
Learning Right attitude is very very important to a sincere seeker.The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna is a wonderful book where one can learn a lot if he stays humble and keeps his mind open.
Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 04, 2012, 08:53:39 AM »
What a wonderful relationship is this, that of a Guru and Disciple, very intense. What more can we do, but get soaked in it. What a blessed soul was Sri mahendranath gupta. What kind of tapas they may have done to earn such proximity of Guru. It only creates a prayer of yearning within, wont we also get such a blessing some day!

Sometimes simplicity is looked down upon, as ordinary, but in it some find precious treasures, in it is everything!

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 04, 2012, 06:38:22 PM »
Nagaraj,

"Sometimes simplicity is looked down upon, as ordinary, but in it some find precious treasures, in it is everything!"

You are indeed Blessed!I appreciate your deep aspiration and fine sensitivity.Master Mahasya is an ideal disciple and he truly lived by the words of the Master,quite exemploary in all respect.

This is what Sri Ramakrishna had to say on this Great soul:

"He is a deep soul like the Falgu river, he has real spirituality within."

"Your bhava is that of Prahlada — ‘I am That’ and ‘I am God’s servant.’

"The Master (M.) is very pure."

"He has no pride."

"You are my own, of the same class substance like father and son."

"You are the inner as well as the outer pillar of Nata Mandir."

Such a Great soul wrote The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna,a Rare treasure trove that deals with all aspects of Spiritual Living and what is most important,it puts one right at the feet of The Great Master.

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 05, 2012, 06:26:13 AM »
This is what Sri Ramakrishna had to say on this Great soul:

"He is a deep soul like the Falgu river, he has real spirituality within."

"Your bhava is that of Prahlada — ‘I am That’ and ‘I am God’s servant.’

"The Master (M.) is very pure."

"He has no pride."

"You are my own, of the same class substance like father and son."

"You are the inner as well as the outer pillar of Nata Mandir."

Such a Great soul wrote The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna,a Rare treasure trove that deals with all aspects of Spiritual Living and what is most important,it puts one right at the feet of The Great Master.

Sri Ravi, What a massive work is the Gospel, and i wonder how could anyone have been able to write the words of the Master, which are so mysterious and beyond ordinary human mind's grasp. I feel these above words of the The Master on Master Mahasya is very rare, what a blessing, how humble He should have been in order that the Master even expressed such things about Him, these expressions of the Master is nothing short of saying He is Him and Him is He.

These great devotees, are comparable to the great nAyanmArs and the Master Himself being the absolute paramEshwarA.

The Master truly becomes the Disciple here, meaning the disciple is [as good as] the Master. These kind of disciples look so huge and tall, like the gOpurams of great temples, that we look so small before them. It sprouts a feeling from within to disappear into oblivion out of shame seeing their greatness, humility and knowledge.

I do not know why but, when i see Master Mahasya, i see Muruganr and when I see Muruganar, i see Master Mahasya. Ramana and Ramakrishna is that paramporul, brahman.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 05, 2012, 06:42:52 AM »
Nagaraj,
Yes ,the simplicity and utter self effacement of these disciples is ever a Beacon to all aspirants.Indeed what you have expressed is absolutely true and what every earnest aspirant knows intuitively.
Namaskar.