Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 315667 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #465 on: November 17, 2012, 04:23:02 PM »
Spiritual Living is all about Ripening in a spontaneous way-To live life fully and not to insulate oneself from the vicissitudes of life;It is to take on the joy and sorrow with equal abandon.It is not about asserting our individuality but to link it with the whole of Life.
We do not have to abandon our Humanity in order to assert our Divinity.

Namaskar.
  Dear Sri Ravi, Beautiful and inspirational words. And so true. It is all what spiritual life is,and life itself is spiritual. We need to bring only awareness and discrimination,and then life is not a problem,but one good lesson and beauty. There is no conflict there,and should not be,there is no need. And it is more simple too. To accept hard and beautiful in the same way,to know that all passes,and to squiz every drop of happiness from every moment. Thank You Very much! With love and prayers,

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 17, 2012, 07:28:36 PM »
Jewell,
Once a while I blabber something on my own!Thanks very much for your kind appreciation.
Namaskar.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 17, 2012, 08:34:28 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi, I would not call this beautiful words a blabbering. But,anyhow,You should blabber more like this then. :) With love and prayers,

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 17, 2012, 08:40:21 PM »
Sri Ravi, Sri Jewel,

the pain is as charismatic as its counterpart! When one welcomes both, one stops praying God for anything, but just experiences gratitude to both, for their visit.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 08:42:44 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 17, 2012, 08:50:56 PM »
Dear Sri Nagaraj, Yes,we should welcome both,pain and happiness,same. They are the sides of the same coin. If there wouldnt be happiness,there wouldnt be the pain also,and other way around. Pain is call for attention,awareness. But i wont call pain charismatic at all. Lesson,yes,but i dont see beauty in pain at all. If i watch it that way then my search stops,coz all this search is because we dont want pain. And this search is just a play,we love to search,to uncover,we love mysteries. Little funny when i think about it.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 17, 2012, 09:17:43 PM »
Sri Jewel, i understand what you have conveyed...
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 18, 2012, 09:50:03 AM »
"After having the vision of God man is overpowered with bliss. He becomes silent. Who will speak? Who will explain?

"The king lives beyond seven gates. At each gate sits a man endowed with great power and glory. At each gate the visitor asks, 'Is this the king?' The gate-keeper answers, 'No. Not this, not this.' The visitor passes through the seventh gate and. becomes overpowered with joy. He is speechless. This time he doesn't have to ask, 'Is this the king?' The mere sight of him removes all doubts."

PREACHER: "Yes, sir, it is so described in Vedanta."

MASTER: "When the Godhead is thought of as creating, preserving, and destroying, It is known as the Personal God, Saguna Brahman, or the Primal Energy, Adyasakti. Again,when It is thought of as beyond the three gunas, then It is called the Attributeless Reality, Nirguna Brahman, beyond speech and thought; this is the Supreme Brahman, Parabrahman.

The three gunas
"Under the spell of God's maya man forgets his true nature. He forgets that he is heir to the infinite glories of his Father. This divine maya is made up of three gunas. And all three are robbers; for they rob man of all his treasures and make him forget his true nature. The three gunas are sattva, rajas, and tamas. Of these, sattva alone points the way to God. But even sattva cannot take a man to God.

Parable of the three robbers

"Let me tell you a story. Once a rich man was passing through a forest, when three robbers surrounded him and robbed him of all his wealth. After snatching all his possessions from him, one of the robbers said: 'What's the good of keeping the man alive? Kill him.' Saying this, he was about to strike their victim with his sword, when the second robber interrupted and said: 'There's no use in killing him. Let us bind him fast and leave him here. Then he won't be able to tell the police.' Accordingly the robbers tied him with a rope, left him, and went away.
"After a while the third robber returned to the rich man and said: 'Ah! You're badly hurt, aren't you? Come, I'm going to release you.' The third robber set the man free and led him out of the forest. When .they came near the highway, the robber said, 'Follow this road and you will reach home easily.' 'But you must come with me too', said the man. 'You have done so much for me. We shall all be happy to see you at our home.' 'No,' said the robber, 'it is not possible for me to go there. The police will arrest me.' So saying, he left the rich man after pointing out his way.

"Now, the first robber, who said: 'What's the good of keeping the man alive? Kill him', is tamas. It destroys. The second robber is rajas, which binds a man to the world and entangles him in a variety of activities. Rajas makes him forget God. Sattva alone shows the way to God. It produces virtues like compassion, righteousness, and devotion. Again, sattva is like the last step of the stairs. Next to it is the roof. The Supreme Brahman is man's own abode. One cannot attain the Knowledge of Brahman unless one transcends the three gunas."

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 18, 2012, 10:06:35 AM »
“This world itself is the forest. The three robbers prowling here are sattva, rajas, and tamas.
It is they that rob a man of the Knowledge of Truth. Tamas wants to destroy him. Rajas
binds him to the world. But sattva rescues him from the clutches of rajas and tamas. Under
the protection of sattva, man is rescued from anger, passion, and the other evil effects of
tamas. Further, sattva loosens the bonds of the world. But sattva also is a robber. It cannot
give him the ultimate Knowledge of Truth, though it shows him the road leading to the
Supreme Abode of God
. Setting him on the path, sattva tells him: 'Look yonder. There is
your home.' Even sattva is far away from the Knowledge of Brahman.

"But to feel that one is a free soul is very good. By constantly repeating, 'I am free, I am free', a man verily becomes free. On the other hand, by constantly repeating, 'I am bound, I am bound', he certainly becomes bound to worldliness".

'Becomes Free' is work in progress!It does not mean one is free!What Sri Ramakrishna is saying is that it is a Good 'Attitude' for an aspirant.

Elsewhere he clearly says:

Go beyond duality

"Let me tell you something else. Go beyond knowledge and ignorance. People say that such and such a one is a jnani; but in reality it is not so. Vasishtha was a great jnani, but even he was stricken with grief on account of the death of his sons. At this Lakshmana said to Rama: 'This is amazing, Rama. Even Vasishtha is so grief-stricken!' Rama said: 'Brother, he who has knowledge has ignorance as well. He who is aware of light is also aware of darkness. He who knows good also knows bad. He who knows happiness also know misery. Brother, go beyond duality, beyond pleasure and pain, beyond knowledge and ignorance.' (To Narendra) So I am asking you to go beyond both knowledge and ignorance."

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 20, 2012, 06:45:19 AM »
Friends,
Appropos of today's post in The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna,the Master speaks like Lord Sri Krishna ,as a shrewd politician!He knows that Rakhal's father was worldly and was seeking his company for his own ends.He is balancing the statement that Rakhal is like a pea-plant growing in a heap of Dung and balancing it with another statement that if the yam is a good one,its shoots also become Good,Like father like son,etc! :)
Sri Ramakrishna considered Rakhal as his spiritual son;He later on became swami Brahmananda,the first president of Sri Ramakrishna Mutt and Mission  and a spiritual dynamo that inspired so many others.

Namaskar

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 23, 2012, 10:34:12 AM »
Udai,
To stand back from thoughts and remaing untouched is just a step.It is also equally important to be aware of what those thoughts are ,and why they are there.I find that most often although you think you are 'untouched' you are just being tossed about and are 'Reacting' and not responding in a mature way.It is like 'Tit' for 'Tat'.This is something that even a beginner will learn to see and correct.You cannot stay without having the 'Last word' on anything discussed.
You are now arguing that you are not arguing because Subramanaian asked you to! Do you think it is not an arguement?You are endlessly justifying whatever you are doing(Quitting the Form-'I do not want to disturb others!Again Coming back-'Friends want you back!Again Quitting !Again coming back and posing as a Beginner so that you can guage the understanding of others!Then when caught ,saying that Everyone knows who you are from your quality of questions!That you do not want Others to be biased on who is presenting but should focus on ideas that you are presenting......????)and presenting here and demanding and questioning whether others have understood and if they have that they should summarize!?????Why should others summarize?
It is all a BIG I.
you are now saying that what atmavichar is perfect!What about the other things he has expressed?Did you read it?
Since you asked feedback on what you are presenting,I am mentioning this.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 23, 2012, 08:58:18 PM »
What is vasana?Whatever rises from nowhere and 'compels' one to do something.This is all what a vasana is,and this cannot be handled by a general 'I am not the Body' mentation.
Further we cannot be eating 'onions' and 'Raddishes' all the time and justify the Belching saying that it is only a 'Vasana'.This is a 'Habit' which is Gross and one has to handle it at the Gross and subtle levels.Stop the eating of 'onions' and 'Radishes' and ensure that one is free from Belching.
Vasana is something that is ordinarily never there in the conscious Living and takes us by surprise by its surfacing;we then become aware of its existence and deal with it by ensuring that its roots are removed and no further possibility exists for their reappearance.
Now do not take it that I am suggesting to avoid eating of the plant onion and Plant Raddish.I am speaking in metaphorical terms-I mean every Rajasic activity(Argueing endlessly,Projecting oneself,thinking that every other person is dumb)-All other 'Vasanas' are easier to handle but the 'self importance' and 'I am knowledgeable' vasana can only be fixed by a Guru who comes down with a sledge Hammer even when the disciple is not conscious of its presence in himself.

Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 24, 2012, 05:12:25 AM »
Dear Ravi,

Yes. The vasanas are deeply embedded and one does not know when these would strike us. It is like Hanuman who
suddenly appeared from nowhere and vanquished the ministers, commanders and even Akshyakumara without any
weapons worth the name. Vasana Kshayam needs a Brahmastra - Self Inquiry and  Guru's Grace.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: November 24, 2012, 11:51:44 AM »
Friends

I am copy pasting some  of the opinions here on Vasanas in the Vasana thread that I have opened .Those views are very enriching ..Kindly share your views there .
"Vasana" is a very important topic as every spiritual seeker is disturbed by it and how to tackle it is what we need the method .
Om Peace .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: November 29, 2012, 06:30:30 AM »
Friends,
"You may raise an objection and say: 'We have not seen God. How can we feel attracted to Him as the gopis felt attracted to Krishna?' But it is possible. 'I do not know Him. I have only heard His name, and that has fixed my mind upon Him.'

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna.

Sri Nochur Venkatraman says wonderfully in one of his talks:
அறிந்து அடங்குதல் ஞானம் ;அடங்கி அறிதல் பக்தி
Knowing and subsiding is jnAna;Subsiding and Knowing is Bhakti.

Namaskar.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 03, 2012, 06:14:34 AM »
Master's experiences in samadhi

AMRITA: "Sir, how do you feel in samadhi?"

MASTER: "You may have heard that the cockroach, by intently meditating on the
bhramara, is transformed into a bhramara. Do you know how I feel then? I feel like a fish
released from a pot into the water of the Ganges."

AMRITA: "Don't you feel at that time even a trace of ego?"

MASTER: "Yes, generally a little of it remains. However hard you may rub a grain of gold
against a grindstone, still a bit of it always remains. Or again, take the case of a big fire; the
ego is like one of its sparks. In samadhi I lose outer consciousness completely; but God
generally keeps a little trace of ego in me for the enjoyment of divine communion.
Enjoyment is possible only when 'I' and 'you' remain".

"Again, sometimes God effaces even that trace of 'I'. Then one experiences jada samadhi or
nirvikalpa samadhi. That experience cannot be described. A salt doll went to measure the
depth of the ocean, but before it had gone far into the water it melted away. It became
entirely one with the water of the ocean. Then who was to come back and tell the ocean's
depth?"

Dear Sri Ravi,

Wonderful post on samadhi!

I feel like a fish
released from a pot into the water of the Ganges."

I love this part alot. I feel like it is the best way to explane something which cannot be explaned. Beautiful!
Thank You Very much!