Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 284601 times)

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #435 on: November 08, 2012, 02:46:54 PM »
Dear friends, I think that everyone of us has the right to share his/her thoughts the way he/she thinks it is right. So let patiently read others comments and try to extract the wisdom in them. We would never know if the Lord Ramana Himself is trying to tell us something with these words. So lets be democratic and open-minded and try to be what the Great Ones would like we to be. Let Lord Ramana be with us!
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 08, 2012, 03:02:26 PM »
Dear Friends,

I wish to add something on this what Hari said. I think it is good that we have converations and light arguments which can shed some light on us and help us,and keep it that way only,a friendly way,a healthy exchange of opinion.

With love and prayers,

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: November 08, 2012, 03:29:38 PM »
well said hari garu, we should be patient in reading other's comments. Who knows some unknown power in the form of the other person is testing our patience and we respond in wild manner to make the other person laugh at us that we have fallen into the trap of anger,ego very easily  :-)

Friends,In a debate if you think other person is poking or testing our patience then just dont bother to reply immediately and avoid that temptation to reply immediately when rajo guna(anger,ego..) qualities percentage has gone a bit higher..

Wait for some time and then i am sure our reply will be different...

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 08, 2012, 03:42:21 PM »
All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone - Blaise Pascal
 :)
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 08, 2012, 03:44:44 PM »
Dear atmavichar100,

Yes. Since we are not capable of remaining still, (Summa Iru), we do all sorts of things with our minds jumping
outside towards the world, people and objects.

Arunachala Siva.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 08, 2012, 03:47:17 PM »
Friends,
I appreciate your comments.I have not posted anything in haste or out of anger :)
Please feel free to express yourself the way you wish to in this thread or elsewhere.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: November 08, 2012, 04:24:59 PM »
udai,
When you talk of clarity that you see,am reminded of this conversation in The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

DOCTOR: "If everything is done by the will of God, then why do you chatter? Why do you talk so much to bring knowledge to others?"

MASTER: "He makes me talk; therefore I talk. 'I am the machine and He is the Operator.' "

DOCTOR: "You say that you are the machine. That's all right. Or keep quiet, knowing that everything is God."

GIRISH (to the doctor): "Whatever you may think, sir, the truth is that we act because He makes us act. Can anyone take a single step against the Almighty Will?"

Free will and God's will

DOCTOR: "But God has also given us free will. I can think of God, or not, as I like."

GIRISH: "You think of God or do some good work because you like to. Really it is not you who do these things, but your liking of them that makes you do so."

DOCTOR: "Why should that be so? I do these things as my duty."

GIRISH: "Even then it is because you like to do your duty."

DOCTOR: "Suppose a child is being burnt. From a sense of duty I rush to save it."

GIRISH: "You feel happy to save the child; therefore you rush into the fire. It is your happiness that drives you to the action. A man eats opium being tempted by such relishes as puffed rice or fried potatoes." (Laughter.)

MASTER: "A man must have some kind of faith before he undertakes a work. Further, he feels joy when he thinks of it. Only then does he set about performing the work. Suppose a jar of gold coins is hidden underground. First of all a man must have faith that the jar of gold coins is there. He feels joy at the thought of the jar. Then he begins to dig. As he removes the earth he hears a metallic sound. That increases his joy. Next he sees a corner of the jar. That gives him more joy. Thus his joy is ever on the increase. Standing on the porch of the Kali temple, I have watched the ascetics preparing their smoke of hemp. I have seen their faces beaming with joy in anticipation of the smoke."

DOCTOR: "But take the case of fire. It gives both heat and light. The light no doubt illumines objects, but the heat burns the body. Likewise, it is not an unadulterated joy that
one reaps from the performance duty. Duty has its painful side too."

M. (to Girish): "As the proverb goes: 'If the stomach gets food, then the back can bear a few blows from the host.' There is joy in sorrow also."

GIRISH (to the doctor): "Duty is dry."

DOCTOR: "Why so?"

GIRISH: "Then it is pleasant." (All laugh.)

M: "Again we come to the point that one likes opium for the sake of the relishes that are served with it."

GIRISH (to the doctor): "Duty must be pleasant; or why do you perform it?"

DOCTOR: "The mind is inclined that way."

M. (to Girish): "That wretched inclination draws the mind. If you speak of the compelling power of inclination, then where is free will?"

DOCTOR: "I do not say that the will is absolutely free. Suppose a cow is tied with a rope. She is free within the length of that rope, but when she feels the pull of the rope-"

MASTER: "Jadu Mallick also gave that illustration. (To the younger Naren) Is it mentioned in some English book?

God alone is the agent
(To the doctor) "Look here. If a man truly believes that God alone does everything, that He is the Operator and man the machine, then such a man is verily liberated in life. 'Thou workest Thine own work; men only call it theirs.' Do you know what it is like? Vedanta philosophy gives an illustration. Suppose you are cooking rice in a pot, with potato, eggplant, and other vegetables. After a while the potatoes, eggplant, rice, and the rest begin to jump about in the pot. They seem to say with pride: 'We are moving! We are jumping!' The children see it and think the potatoes, egg-plant, and rice are alive and so they jump that way. But the elders, who know, explain to the children that the vegetables and the rice are not alive; they jump not of themselves, but because of the fire under the pot; if you remove the burning wood from the hearth, then they will move no more. Likewise the pride of man, that he is the doer, springs from ignorance. Men are powerful because of the power of God.
All becomes quiet when that burning wood is taken away. The puppets dance well on the stage when pulled by a wire, but they cannot move when the wire snaps.
"A man will cherish the illusion that he is the doer as long as he has not seen God, as long as he has not touched the Philosopher's Stone. So long will he know the distinction between his good and bad actions. This awareness of distinction is due to God's maya; and it is necessary for the purpose of running His illusory world. But a man can realize God if he takes shelter under His vidyamaya and follows the path of righteousness. He who knows God and realizes Him is able to go beyond maya. He who firmly believes that God alone is the Doer and he himself a mere instrument is a jivanmukta, a free soul though living in a body. I said this to Keshab Chandra Sen."

GIRISH (to the doctor): "How do you know that free will exists?"

DOCTOR: "Not by reasoning; I feel it."

GIRISH: "In that case I may say that others and I feel the reverse. We feel that we are controlled by another." (All laugh.)

The Other side may equally be 'clear' :)
Namaskar.

silentgreen

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 08, 2012, 04:35:51 PM »
d: I see only "tensions" in this post.

cguru: Remove the "i"; what do you see?

d: "tensons"

cguru: Yes, "ten sons" are placing their views.

d: Who is the father?

cguru: This is Ramana forum, so obviously Bhagavan Ramana is the father.
Homage to the Universal Being...Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ... Om Shanti ...

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 08, 2012, 04:48:48 PM »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 08, 2012, 04:59:37 PM »
d: I see only "tensions" in this post.

cguru: Remove the "i"; what do you see?

d: "tensons"

cguru: Yes, "ten sons" are placing their views.

d: Who is the father?

cguru: This is Ramana forum, so obviously Bhagavan Ramana is the father.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: November 08, 2012, 05:02:10 PM »
udai,
Truth cannot be inquired into.Inquiry is into the so called 'Non-Truth' and the root of it is 'I'.The nature of this  inquiry is nothing but undivided attention to the Feeling of 'I' .This is what self-enquiry is about.What is there to discuss about this? :)
All that I have been saying is that the way of Sankya ,standing back from 'Thoughts' is not enough.You seem to be thinking that whatever thoughts that are there,will wear out over a period of time,and are bhoga hetu.This is part of your belief .Did you check what those thoughts are?You may say that you do not bother whether they are there or not,as I have gathered from your posts here.This is 'Clarity' for you.This 'clarity' is not enough for me. :)
Namaskar.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 08, 2012, 05:22:25 PM »
The Truth is that the Truth is beyond Truth. :D

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: November 08, 2012, 05:25:09 PM »
udai,
I have nothing further to add to what I have already said.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 08, 2012, 05:33:40 PM »
silentgreen,
 :)
Wish to hear more from the wise cguru.
Namaskar.

Hari

• View Profile