Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 284150 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #300 on: October 16, 2012, 12:17:58 PM »
Udai,
Sri Aurobindo is writing about 'The Four Aids'.He has talked about 'Sastra' in quite an explicit way,and he has also talked about how it is 'Best' to set it aside 'From The Beginning',if that can be done :)
We seem to be ignoring all that,and saying that 'He is suggesting' Shstras! :)
This 'Selective' operation is something which a mind does all the time;next it tries to justify this 'Finding' to others here. :)
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: October 16, 2012, 12:45:09 PM »
udai,
The Problem is that when one thinks 'his watch' alone shows 'Right time' and all have to adjust their watch as per That! :)
If you find something useful,stick to that;You may also share that;but you cannot be 'Dogmatic' in saying that 'self-enquiry' is not possible without x,y or z.
How about the saying 'Sravana,Manana,Nidhidyasana' is not possible without A,B or C!This will lead to A,B and C is Not possible without D,E and F!

Eventually you will be left with the finding that nothing is possible without an 'I'.This is what sri Bhagavan is saying.Now See 'Who am I'? :)

These statements do not serve any purpose and just serve 'time pass',with someone trying to say 'Yes' and somebody else trying to say 'No' .It will keep keyboards clicking,and consume more Storage space.

All that Sri aurobindo is saying is that you may take up whatever you find useful,('including Yoga Vasishta'-your preference),but do not be bound by it.This is all.

Namaskar

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 16, 2012, 01:03:59 PM »
udai,
"For me its just what works and what does not"
This is your 'watch'!It need not work for others.This is what I am saying. :)
All your reasoning is all from your point of view only.
It need not be useful to 'others' who have already found something else useful ,which you may not see, understand or appreciate.
What 'did not' work for you may work for others! :)
Namaskar.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: October 16, 2012, 01:08:49 PM »
Friends, Let us question, contemplate and argue on ideas and not people please...

Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 16, 2012, 01:15:59 PM »
friends,

i felt like highlighting, that Hindu philosophy school of thought of vEdAnta is primarily based on the prasthAna trayI, alone, as catagorised by vyAsa maharshi? or srI shankarA? (not sure who established this)

The include:

upanishads*
bhagavadgItA
brahma sUtrAs

Therefore, fortunately, our systems emphasizes in keeping exchange of views in order, other wise, it will only create confusion. What ever needs to be substantiated, basically, finally needs to find a confirmation from the prasthAna trayI. Moreover, there were said to be hundreds of upanishads, and srI shankarA, filtered only ten upanishads among them to be superior to all others. srI shankarA did so because, every other upanishads speak of some God or the other and in general even though they conveyed the same truth. But, srI shankarA felt, if truth needs to be conveyed to people, it needs a definitive system, and it is said so that he devised the prasthAna trayI.

*These ten Upanisads are listed in the following stanza for the names to be easily remembered.

Isa kEna kathA prasna munda mAndukya tittarI
aItarEyan ca chAndOgyAm bRuhadAranyakam dasah

Therefore, especially, when we are in a group discussion, when we are exchanging philosophical discussions, in order than everybody follows in a particular way, so that each can refer to the prashthAna trayI, for ones own confirmation, we may generally quote yOga vAsishtam, advaita bOdha dIpikA, tripura rahasyA, etc... but they do not form part of the prasthAna trayam, hence, to substantiate "vedA" - Truth, or Self, or knowledge, they do not satisfy the norms established by srI shankarA, even though they convey the same truth, they could potentially create confusion as well. Therefore, what ever we quote the best way to substantiate it is through quoting from prasthAna trayam.

The words of a realised guru are flawless, and there is no doubt what they express, would by default confirm to the prasthAna trayam.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 02:03:03 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: October 16, 2012, 01:21:04 PM »
udai,
For you the 'reasoning' may be required to pull yourself back.
Another may feel the 'pull' of the Self and need not reason at all!
This is what Sri Ramakrishna says:
"One needs the fan to make the breeze. Similarly, one practises japa, austerity, and fasting, in order to acquire
love of God
. But the fan is set aside when the southern breeze blows of itself.
Such actions as japa and austerity drop away when one spontaneously feels love and
attachment for God."

This comes about through Satsangha,and sadhana proceeds spontaneously.
'self-enquiry' by sri Bhagavan is akin to this, has to reach this phase ,in order to gather momentum.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 16, 2012, 03:23:29 PM »
udai,
What yoga Vasishta may be saying is applicable to the 'mind' that has not felt the pull of the 'Self'.Where is the question of 'conquering' the mind?
We have to go by our direct experience.Ultimately that overrules everyother thing,be it Yoga vAsishta! :)
The Onus is not on me to prove that saying in 'yOga vAsishta' :)

Does the man who has tasted the 'shade' of a tree ,need to be persuaded by 'Reasoning' not to stay in the Hot sun?The Answer is NO.This is FAULTLESS reasoning.
What you are referring to may be Plain 'Reasoning',and hence you perceive the Difference! :)
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 16, 2012, 03:33:34 PM »
Udai,
Sri Ramakrishna says:
"There are innumerable pathways leading to the Ocean of Immortality. The essential thing
is to reach the Ocean. It doesn't matter which path you follow. Imagine that there is a
reservoir containing the Elixir of Immortality. You will be immortal if a few drops of the
Elixir somehow get into your mouth. You may get into the reservoir either by jumping into
it, or by being pushed into it from behind, or by slowly walking down the steps
. The effect
is one and the same. You will become immortal by tasting a drop of that Elixir."

One of the things about Sri Ramakrishna that I like (besides innumerable other aspects)is that his teachings are so free from the least vestige of 'dogmatism' or Rigidity.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 16, 2012, 03:44:06 PM »
udai,
I have read Swami Sivananda's Stories from 'Yoga VAsishta' a long while ago;but I have heard some free wheeling talks on Yoga Vasishta from Master TGN.
I like it and do acknowledge that it is a very good text.
Yet,nothing like Home cooked food(for me ,it is sri Ramakrishna's teachings);we cannot be eating always in Restaurants,be it a Five Star one.
Namaskar.
P.S.:As Regards 'Reasoning' Please see what I have posted;It is a help on the way,but can be a retardant,if allowed past a certain stage.
As Sri Ramakrishna says:
Futility of reasoning
Sri Ramakrishna had said, "Mother, I won't listen to any more argument."
Narendra sang:
O Mother, make me mad with Thy love!
What need have I of knowledge or reason? . . .

Sri Ramakrishna said with a smile: "O Mother, make me mad! God cannot be realized
through knowledge and reasoning, through the arguments in the scriptures."

This is a sweeter way and for me,a Direct way,and much more effective.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: October 16, 2012, 04:04:18 PM »
on my own experiences, i have found that reasoning extends till when we give up! beyond which, any reasoning has been of no use, even if it is great grand truth! i found that you'll get tired of reasoning.

D: Even so, I do not understand. “I,” you say, is the wrong “I” now. How to eliminate this wrong “I”?

M: You need not eliminate the wrong “I.” How can “I” eliminate itself? All that you need do is to find out its origin and abide there. Your efforts can extend only thus far. Then the Beyond will take care of itself. You are helpless there. No effort can reach it.

One extends all sorts of reasoning only to give-up eventually. Reasoning is carried out only to give up! Thereafter, God is the only resort!

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 16, 2012, 04:25:05 PM »
What works for each of you, is fine :)

Each person's past, who knows what all mysteries are there? what all sAdhnA's we have all already done, we do not know, now. One may have already done reasoning, one may already have done the chitta shudDhi through various worships, one may have already done vichArA, we don't know. The greatness of sanAtana dharmA is there is really no rule, yet there is a strong rule, i don't know how to put it :) so, its wise to conclude, we don't know! is my view. But, what i feel is to be known is the circumstance in which we are today, where we are, that svadharmA we have to follow, along with our studies. I believe our birth determines where we left off in our past, to carry on from where!

Socratus once said, all that i know is I don't know!

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 16, 2012, 04:41:25 PM »
Nagaraj/Udai/Friends,
Yes,all points are valid;The Best of Food may be served but what we can eat,what we 'like' and what we can.

This is how Sri Ramakrishna puts it:

(To the pundit) "Please don't say anything to Mani Mallick. You must know that there are
different tastes. There are also different powers of digestion. God has made different
religions and creeds to suit different aspirants. By no means all are fit for the Knowledge of
Brahman. Therefore the worship of God with form has been provided.

"The mother brings home a fish for her children. She curries part of the fish, part she fries,
and with another part she makes pilau. By no means all can digest the pilau. So she makes
fish soup for those who have weak stomachs. Further, some want pickled or fried fish.
There are different temperaments. There are differences in the capacity to comprehend."

I Request Udai to continue focussing on The Bhagavat Gita-In my view ,there is no other work that encompasses all these divergent views into a fine Sythesis ,the way Lord Sri Krishna has so wonderfully spoken in this Great work.

Namaskar.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 17, 2012, 12:23:52 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

I am so happy to see that You have opened new thread,Sri Aurobindo-The Four Aids. I will certainly enjoy reading it! There is much to learn from it.

Thank You Very much!

With prayers and love...

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 17, 2012, 08:32:42 AM »
Jewell,
Yes,the Chapter 'Four Aids' from The synthesis of Yoga is a wonderful guide for one and all,whtever be his/her approach to sadhana.Sri Aurobindos has superbly covered everything here.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: October 17, 2012, 08:34:23 AM »
Nagaraj,
Delighted to see your gems from Srimad Bhagavatham.Thanks very much.
Namaskar.