Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 267761 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2012, 07:10:52 PM »
Dear sri Ravi,

I have begun to visualise Thakur and his disciples, in that environments. How nice feeling it is. It is a great boon to be with a Guru. I wonder would we find True Guru these days.

Have you been to Belur math? have you seen Sri Ramakrishna's place, house, where he lived? It must be such wonderful feeling, i can imagine, having been to Bhagavan's ashramam, in old hall, skandashramam, virupaksha cave, etc...

May we all be blessed by the Guru Paramparas.

The very remembrance of these places in my mind makes me feel purified.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2012, 11:08:15 PM »
Nagaraj/Friends,
you stir the deepest chord in me by posing those questions.Yes,I have been to Kamarpukur,Birth place of Sri Ramakrishna and jayarambAti,birth place of our Holy Mother Sri Saradamani Devi.It was in 1979 when I was in calcutta on official work for a duration of 3 Months.On weekends I will be mostly in Dakshineswar and thAkur's small room used to be my favourite haunt after paying obeisance to Divine Mother KAli.An absolutely charming Place,although crowded and the path leading to the temple is as dusty and dirty and crowded as well.Yet who cares about all that -to sit in the place haloed by the feet of the Great Master is a Great boon.It was during that time I decided to visit Kamarpukur and Jayarambati.I boarded a Rickety bus that took me to kamarpukur -what a privilege to see the Master's birthplace and his parental house!After spending 2 hours in that place I proceeded to Jayarambati reaching there around 18:30 hrs when the evening Arati(vespers)was going on.I just sat in front of the Mother's temple after the vespers were over and decided to spend the night there.Jayarambati and kamarpukur are small villages with mud houses.
The Swamiji who was in charge of the Ramakrishna Mutt noticed my sitting there and asked me about my whereabouts.I simply told him that I have come to visist Holy Mother's birthplace and do not mind spending the Night in the temple.I told him that I would return the next day.The Swamiji was all kindness and took me inside the ashram opposite the Shrine and gave me a room and I took it as Holy Mother's blessing .The swamiji gave me some fruits and sweets and that was my dinner.In the Morning ,after a bath I asked to be shown Holy Mother's hut made of clay and Haystack!What a magical place and what a joy to visit the Birthplace of our Simple and Beloved Holy Mother!One of her Great grand nephew was there and how lovingly he touched my chin and kissed.This is how Our Holy Mother would greet her children.What a simple setting and how blessed is that place!I Returned to calcutta after this wonderful trip.
Yes I have visisted Belur Math and Dakshineswar .As you say,the very remembrance is purifying and in itself is sadhana.My earliest recollection of Thakur goes back to 1960 when I was a boy of 5 and my father was posted in Calcutta and had taken me to Dakshineswar and Belur Mutt.We were in calcutta for 2 years then.
Namaskar.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 11:37:29 PM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2012, 11:10:59 PM »
Friends,
Here is a snap of Kamarpukur,Birthplace of Sri Ramakrishna.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 11:25:31 PM by Ravi.N »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 08:04:41 AM »
Dear Ravi Sir,

So beautiful. wish some day, i would be able to go there. I wonder in amazement, for I have been to Ramanshramam, i felt, i have been there before, it looked so familiar. The same, I felt, when I first went to Sringeri, Narasimhavanam, it felt so familiar, again, i felt, as though, I had already been there before, and, again, when I see the thatched hut of Sri Ramakrishnar, it looks all familiar, i am able to sense the vibes of the environment, the air, the breeze, the touch of the soil.

They are all One.

Gratitude.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2012, 09:00:08 AM »
Nagaraj/Friends,
you stir the deepest chord in me by posing those questions.Yes,I have been to Kamarpukur,Birth place of Sri Ramakrishna and jayarambAti,birth place of our Holy Mother Sri Saradamani Devi.It was in 1979 when I was in calcutta on official work for a duration of 3 Months.On weekends I will be mostly in Dakshineswar and thAkur's small room used to be my favourite haunt after paying obeisance to Divine Mother KAli.An absolutely charming Place,although crowded and the path leading to the temple is as dusty and dirty and crowded as well.Yet who cares about all that -to sit in the place haloed by the feet of the Great Master is a Great boon.It was during that time I decided to visit Kamarpukur and Jayarambati.I boarded a Rickety bus that took me to kamarpukur -what a privilege to see the Master's birthplace and his parental house!After spending 2 hours in that place I proceeded to Jayarambati reaching there around 18:30 hrs when the evening Arati(vespers)was going on.I just sat in front of the Mother's temple after the vespers were over and decided to spend the night there.Jayarambati and kamarpukur are small villages with mud houses.
The Swamiji who was in charge of the Ramakrishna Mutt noticed my sitting there and asked me about my whereabouts.I simply told him that I have come to visist Holy Mother's birthplace and do not mind spending the Night in the temple.I told him that I would return the next day.The Swamiji was all kindness and took me inside the ashram opposite the Shrine and gave me a room and I took it as Holy Mother's blessing .The swamiji gave me some fruits and sweets and that was my dinner.In the Morning ,after a bath I asked to be shown Holy Mother's hut made of clay and Haystack!What a magical place and what a joy to visit the Birthplace of our Simple and Beloved Holy Mother!One of her Great grand nephew was there and how lovingly he touched my chin and kissed.This is how Our Holy Mother would greet her children.What a simple setting and how blessed is that place!I Returned to calcutta after this wonderful trip.
Yes I have visisted Belur Math and Dakshineswar .As you say,the very remembrance is purifying and in itself is sadhana.My earliest recollection of Thakur goes back to 1960 when I was a boy of 5 and my father was posted in Calcutta and had taken me to Dakshineswar and Belur Mutt.We were in calcutta for 2 years then.
Namaskar.

What a benediction! how truly blessed Sir, you are! Just to read, from here, gives such immense peace. How really wonderful.

Gratitude, gratitude, once again..

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2012, 12:20:19 PM »
Nagaraj,
Thanks for your kind words.I recommend to you two excellent books of the Great devotee Sri rA Ganapathi,who passed away recently on sivaratri day .He had compiled the 8 volumes of Deivathin Kural,tals of our kAnchi mahAswami.
These are :
1.arivukkanale arutpunale-on the Life of Sri Ramakrishna and Swami Vivekananda

2.ammA-Biography of our Holy Mother Sri SAradAmani Devi.

These are among the Best books on the life of the Trio.rA Ganapathi has gathered the facts from many sources like a honeybee extracting honey and has presented the lives of these Great ones with honey like Devotion that can melt our very bones.

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2012, 04:53:55 PM »
Dear i,

Thanks for the references. i do have a couple of volumes of Deivathin Kural, i guess, every family, which had some connection with Maha Periyava, would definitely have this 'pokkisham'. i am now impelled to get all the other volumes as well :)

When i make my next trip to Ramakrishna math, i shall surely look for these books. though i prefer english books, as i only known basic tamil, in depth, reading, would be very difficult for me. having all my schooling in bangalore, i never got opportunity to learn tamil academically (which i regret so much) but, over the years, i have some how managed to learn tamil to a decent extent where by i am able to read essential articles.

I have got myself the gospel of Sri Ramakrishnar :) as of now.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2012, 05:38:38 PM »
Nagaraj,
Very happy that you have deivathin kural with you.What a treasure trove!Is there anything that is not there?

Coming to the books by rA ganapathi-they are not difficult to read.If you can manage deivathin Kural,you will be in a position to read these books.It is a good idea if someone can read and we listen to it as well.The bhAva that ganapathi brings in his writing has to be savoured.Not even the Original 'Sri Ramakrishna ,the Great Master' by swami saradananda ,a direct disciple of the Master matches rA Ganapathi in this aspect.The Books may not be available with R K Mutt.I will check and get back.

Very Happy to know that you have got the Gospel of sri Ramakrishna-What a treasure.You may also be able to download it as a pdf document from some site;or else you may contact me-my email id:niveditahr@rediffmail.com
I will mail you this copy.It helps to share excerpts with other devotees.

Forgot to mention that sringeri,I have heard is a wonderfully inspiring place.I have never been there.Our salutations to all the great ones.

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2012, 06:27:54 PM »
Dear i,

This is most motivating  :) :

Coming to the books by rA ganapathi-they are not difficult to read.If you can manage deivathin Kural,you will be in a position to read these books.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2012, 01:36:09 PM »
The Story of Sri Ramakrishna continued....

About this time he began to worship God by assuming the attitude of a servant toward his
master. He imitated the mood of Hanuman, the monkey chieftain of the Ramayana, the
ideal servant of Rama and traditional model for this self-effacing form of devotion. When
he meditated on Hanuman his movements and his way of life began to resemble those of a
monkey. His eyes became restless. He lived on fruits and roots. With his cloth tied around
his waist, a portion of it hanging in the form of a tail, he jumped from place to place instead
of walking. And after a short while he was blessed with a vision of Sita, the divine consort
of Rama, who entered his body and disappeared there with the words, "I bequeath to you
my smile."
Mathur had faith in the sincerity of Sri Ramakrishna's spiritual zeal, but began now to
doubt his sanity. He had watched him jumping about like a monkey. One day, when Rani
Rasmani was listening to Sri Ramakrishna's singing in the temple, the young priest abruptly
turned and slapped her. Apparently listening to his song, she had actually been thinking of a
lawsuit. She accepted the punishment as though the Divine Mother Herself had imposed it;
but Mathur was distressed. He begged Sri Ramakrishna to keep his feelings under control
and to heed the conventions of society. God Himself, he argued, follows laws. God never
permitted, for instance, flowers of two colours to grow on the same stalk. The following
day Sri Ramakrishna presented Mathur Babu with two hibiscus flowers growing on the
same stalk, one red and one white.
Mathur and Rani Rasmani began to ascribe the mental ailment of Sri Ramakrishna in part,
at least, to his observance of rigid continence. Thinking that a natural life would relax the
tension of his nerves, they engineered a plan with two women of ill fame. But as soon as
the women entered his room, Sri Ramakrishna beheld in them the manifestation of the
Divine Mother of the Universe and went into samadhi uttering Her name.
Haladhari
In 1858 there came to Dakshineswar a cousin of Sri Ramakrishna, Haladhari by name, who
was to remain there about eight years. On account of Sri Ramakrishna's indifferent health,
Mathur appointed this man to the office of priest in the Kali temple. He was a complex
character, versed in the letter of the scriptures, but hardly aware of their spirit. He loved to
participate in hair-splitting theological discussions and, by the measure of his own
erudition, he proceeded to gauge Sri Ramakrishna. An orthodox brahmin, he thoroughly
disapproved of his cousin's unorthodox actions, but he was not unimpressed by Sri
Ramakrishna's purity of life, ecstatic love of God, and yearning for realization.
One day Haladhari upset Sri Ramakrishna with the statement that God is incomprehensible
to the human mind. Sri Ramakrishna has described the great moment of doubt when he
wondered whether his visions had really misled him: "With sobs I prayed to the Mother,
'Canst Thou have the heart to deceive me like this because I am a fool?' A stream of tears
flowed from my eyes. Shortly afterwards I saw a volume of mist rising from the floor and
filling the space before me. In the midst of it there appeared a face with flowing beard,
calm, highly expressive, and fair. Fixing its gaze steadily upon me, it said solemnly,
'Remain in bhavamukha, on the threshold of relative consciousness.' This it repeated three
times and then it gently disappeared in the mist, which itself dissolved. This vision
reassured me."
A garbled report of Sri Ramakrishna's failing health, indifference to worldly life, and
various abnormal activities reached Kamarpukur and filled the heart of his poor mother
with anguish. At her repeated request he returned to his village for a change of air. But his
boyhood friends did not interest him any more. A divine fever was consuming him. He
spent a great part of the day and night in one of the cremation grounds, in meditation. The
place reminded him of the impermanence of the human body, of human hopes and
achievements. It also reminded him of Kali, the Goddess of destruction.

to be continued....

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2012, 03:24:57 PM »
Dear Ravi,

I have never been to Kolkata. Your photographs of kamArpukur and jayarampati made me remember what ever little I have read
about Sri Ramakrishna, Sri Vivekananda and Holy Mother. Thanks.

Arunachala Siva. 

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2012, 07:39:40 AM »
Subramanian,
Thanks very much.As I had posted earlier,the two books by rA ganapathi in Tamizh are truly excellent and inspirational.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2012, 07:44:26 AM »
The Story of Sri Ramakrishna continued...

Marriage and After

But in a few months his health showed improvement, and he recovered to some extent his
natural buoyancy of spirit. His happy mother was encouraged to think it might be a good
time to arrange his marriage. The boy was now twenty-three years old. A wife would bring
him back to earth. And she was delighted when her son welcomed her suggestion. Perhaps
he saw in it the finger of God.
Saradamani, a little girl of five, lived in the neighbouring village of Jayrambati. Even at this
age she had been praying to God to make her character as stainless and fragrant as the
white tuberose. Looking at the full moon, she would say: "O God, there are dark spots even
on the moon. But make my character spotless." It was she who was selected as the bride for
Sri Ramakrishna.
The marriage ceremony was duly performed. Such early marriage in India is in the nature
of a betrothal, the marriage being consummated when the girl attains puberty. But in this
case the marriage remained forever unconsummated. Sri Ramakrishna lived at Kamarpukur
about a year and a half and then returned to Dakshineswar.
Hardly had he crossed the threshold of the Kali temple when he found himself again in the
whirlwind. His madness reappeared tenfold. The same meditation and prayer, the same
ecstatic moods, the same burning sensation, the same weeping, the same sleeplessness, the
same indifference to the body and the outside world, the same divine delirium. He
subjected himself to fresh disciplines in order to eradicate greed and lust, the two great
impediments to spiritual progress. With a rupee in one hand and some earth in the other, he
would reflect on the comparative value of these two for the realization of God, and finding
them equally worthless he would toss them, with equal indifference, into the Ganges.
Women he regarded as the manifestations of the Divine Mother. Never even in a dream did
he feel the impulses of lust. And to root out of his mind the idea of caste superiority, he
cleaned a pariah's house with his long and neglected hair. When he would sit in meditation,
birds would perch on his head and peck in his hair for grains of food. Snakes would crawl
over his body, and neither would he aware of the other. Sleep left him altogether. Day and
night, visions flitted before him.
Rani Rasmani, the foundress of the temple garden, passed away in 1861. After her death
her son-in-law Mathur became the sole executor of the estate. He placed himself and his
resources at the disposal of Sri Ramakrishna and began to look after his physical comfort.
Sri Ramakrishna later spoke of him as one of his five "suppliers of stores" appointed by the
Divine Mother. Whenever a desire arose in his mind, Mathur fulfilled it without hesitation.

To be continued...

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2012, 07:06:05 AM »
Friends,
An Excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
M: "When one sees God does one see Him with these eyes?"
MASTER: "God cannot be seen with these physical eyes. In the course of spiritual
discipline one gets a 'love body', endowed with 'love eyes', 'love ears', and so on. One sees
God with those 'love eyes'. One hears the voice of God with those 'love ears'. One even gets
a sexual organ made of love."
At these words M. burst out laughing. The Master continued, unannoyed, "With this 'love
body' the soul communes with God."
M. again became serious.
Seeing God everywhere
MASTER: "But this is not possible without intense love of God. One sees nothing but God
everywhere when one loves Him with great intensity. It is like a person with jaundice, who
sees everything yellow. Then one feels, 'I am verily He'.
"A drunkard, deeply intoxicated, says, 'Verily I am Kali!' The gopis, intoxicated with love,
exclaimed, 'Verily I am Krishna!'
"One who thinks of God, day and night, beholds Him everywhere. It is like a man's seeing
flames on all sides after he has gazed fixedly at one flame for some time."
"But that isn't the real flame", flashed through M.'s mind.
Sri Ramakrishna, who could read a man's inmost thought, said: "One doesn't lose
consciousness by thinking of Him who is all Spirit, all Consciousness. Shivanath once
remarked that too much thinking about God confounds the brain. Thereupon I said to him,
'How can one become unconscious by thinking of Consciousness?' "
M: "Yes, sir, I realize that. It isn't like thinking of an unreal object. How can a man lose his
intelligence if he always fixes his mind on Him whose very nature is eternal Intelligence?"
MASTER (with pleasure): "It is through God's grace that you understand that. The doubts
of the mind will not disappear without His grace. Doubts do not disappear without Selfrealization.
"But one need not fear anything if one has received the grace of God. It is rather easy for a
child to stumble if he holds his father's hand; but there can be no such fear if the father
holds the child's hand. A man does not have to suffer any more if God, in His grace,
removes his doubts and reveals Himself to him. But this grace descends upon him only
after he has prayed to God with intense yearning of heart and practised spiritual discipline
The mother feels compassion for her child when she sees him running about breathlessly.
She has been hiding herself; now she appears before the child."
"But why should God make us run about?" thought M
Immediately Sri Ramakrishna said: "It is His will that we should run about a little. Then it
is great fun. God has created the world in play, as it were. This is called Mahamaya, the
Great Illusion. Therefore one must take refuge in the Divine Mother, the Cosmic Power
Itself. It is She who has bound us with the shackles of illusion. The realization of God is
possible only when those shackles are severed."

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2012, 08:20:25 AM »
Dear i,

what was Sri Ramakrsihanar's views on sanyasam. i have read few articles about how even householders too can attain god, but what were his teachings about sanyasam. what were his instructions to the ones who are un married, and have strong intense desire to only attain God. It would be great if you could shed some light on Ramakrishan Order as well. How is the life of a monk, their regulations, etc...

Bhagavan has said, what is really required is internal sanyasam. When Kunju Swami had taken sanyasam from somebody, with some ananada name, Bhagavan made fun of him and said, for him, he is Kunju only! :)

Why I am asking this is because, times havee changed very significantly, since both great Masters. Today, the external world is much more different from what could even have been expected some 60 years back, when even Bhagavan was there. So there arises a need to know the way out, for the ones who do not want to get married.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta