Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 512422 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #2460 on: January 09, 2020, 03:29:08 PM »
D.: Why does not Sri Bhagavan go about and preach the Truth to the people at large?

M.: How do you know that I am not doing it? Does preaching consist in mounting a platform and haranguing to the people around? Preaching is simple communication of knowledge. It may be done in Silence too.

What do you think of a man listening to a harangue for an hour and going away without being impressed by it so as to change his life? Compare him with another who sits in a holy presence and leaves after some time with his outlook on life totally changed. Which is better: To preach loudly without effect or to sit silently sending forth intuitive forces to play on others?
(Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, talk no 285)

Siva appeared before them sitting under the sacred banyan tree. Being yogiraja should He practise yoga? He went into samadhi as He sat; He was in Perfect Repose. Silence prevailed. They saw Him. The effect was immediate. They fell into samadhi and their doubts were at an end.
Silence is the true upadesa. It is the perfect upadesa. It is suited only for the most advanced seeker. The others are unable to draw full inspiration from it. Therefore they require words to explain the Truth. But Truth is beyond words. It does not admit of explanation.
(Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, talk no. 569)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 08:00:57 AM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: January 10, 2020, 07:58:22 AM »
Very important message to detach the I am the Doer attitude and to reduce misery and fear but this must not be used as an excuse to do Adharmic activities or become lazy and Tamasic

Q : I can understand that the outstanding events in a man's life, such as his country, nationality, family, career or profession, marriage, death, etc., are all predestined by his karma, but can it be that all the details of his life, down to the minutest, have already been determined ? Now, for instance, I put this fan that is in my hand down on the floor here. Can it be that it was already decided that on such and such a day, at such and such an hour, I should move the fan like this and put it down here ?

BHAGAVAN : Certainly.
Whatever this body is to do and whatever experiences it is to pass through was already decided when it came into existence.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 08:00:38 AM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: January 20, 2020, 07:30:29 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: January 21, 2020, 04:20:27 PM »
Natesa Iyer served Bhagavan and devotees working as a cook at Sri Ramanasramam for years. The below is what he told Swami Ramanananda:

?I was Bhagavan?s attendant,? he would say, ?when he had one of his cancer operations. In those few hours, I understood directly what Bhagavan meant when he said, ?I am not the body?. His behavior throughout the operation showed very clearly that the body was just something that he was wearing. The flesh was being cut, blood was flowing, and I could see the radium needles that had been inserted into the flesh around the cancer. Bhagavan was fully conscious but utterly indifferent to the procedures that were being carried out on his arm. I was told afterwards that we were in the room with him for 2.5 ? 3 hours, but while we were with him there was no awareness whatsoever of the passage of time. We were all consumed by the power of Bhagavan?s silence. Even the doctors were sucked into it. When the operation had been completed, the doctors spontaneously prostrated to Bhagavan.

?One of them said, ?I have operated on many people, but I have never had an experience like this. There is a peace in this room that I have never felt anywhere else. I cannot describe what it was like except to say that it was unlike anything I have ever experienced before.?

?I think the doctor spoke for us all. Bhagavan, abiding untroubled and unconcerned in his natural state of silence, gave us all an immense blessing while he was being cut open by the medical team. It was an awesome display of power and grace that left me in tears.

?After an operation like this, one would expect a patient to want quiet and rest, but Bhagavan showed a complete indifference to his body and to the advice of his medical team. Overruling the doctors and the ashram management, he announced that he wanted to give darshan to all the devotees who were waiting anxiously outside. As the people filed past him one by one, Bhagavan made inquiries about the health and well-being of the devotees but refused to talk about his own physical state. If people asked about his operation and the state of his health, he would smile but not give any answer.?

- 'The Power of the Presence', David Godman

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: January 25, 2020, 11:07:53 AM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: January 28, 2020, 12:40:38 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: January 31, 2020, 04:13:19 PM »
You are here because there is a desire in you to realise the Self. This desire does not arise randomly or accidentally in some people and not in others. It is there because of the punyas you have accumulated from previous births, punyas that may have come from meditation, charitable work, and so on. These punyas will manifest as a desire for freedom, a desire to do earnest sadhana, a desire to find a good teacher in whose presence the truth will be taught and revealed. If someone is destined to be a jnani in this life, it means that he had come to this final birth with a mountain of punyas to his credit. These punyas will take him to the real Guru, to a real satsang, and in this environment he will do sadhana and achieve the goal.

If one does not have this mountain of punyas from the past, there will be no desire for freedom, no desire to look for a Guru who can deliver it. Such a person may meet a Guru and that Guru may even give him good advice, but the determined resolve to put that advice in to effect will not be there. The fierce determination to succeed and discrimination that allows one to ignore worldly entanglements only arise in those who have accumulated these punyas. Other people may hear the worlds of truth, but although they accept that they are true, the inclination to act on them will not be there.

Annamalai Swami-Final talks

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: February 02, 2020, 09:09:25 PM »
An elderly man from Ananthapur, after hearing the Vedas recited in the hall, stood up and asked:
?It is said that the non-Brahmins should not hear the recital of the Vedas.?

M.: Mind your business. Take care of what you came here for. Why do you waste your time in these matters? ?I heard the recital,? you say. ?Who is that ?I?? Without knowing the ?I? you are using the word. If its significance be known there will be no doubt. Find the ?I? first and you may afterwards speak of other matters.?
Continuing, Sri Bhagavan said:
?The smritis say something. They are not appropriate now. I will reform the world, rewrite the smritis.? Saying so, people are cutting capers in the world from time immemorial. Such reformers have come and gone; but the ancient smritis still stand. Why waste time over such matters? Let each one mind his business.
All will be well.

TALKS.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: February 03, 2020, 04:34:21 PM »
CONVERSATIONS WITH ANNAMALAI SWAMI

PRACTICAL SADHANA MUST BE STEADY

Q: It is so difficult to avoid getting entangled in the mind. Staying detached from thoughts is like trying to stop the tide from coming in. Waves of new thoughts wash away the detached observer every few seconds.

AS: Self-enquiry must be done repeatedly and steadily. The wandering mind slowly loses its energy when it is subjected to constant scrutiny. The mind derives all its energy from the attention you give to thoughts and emotions. If you refuse to give them any attention and instead challenge each thought as soon as it appears, sooner or later your attention will stop going out to all your stray thoughts.

When the attractiveness of transient thoughts diminishes to the point where you no longer feel obliged to hold on to them whenever they appear, you will be able to rest quietly in the experience of your real nature without being distracted.

- Living by the Words of Bhagavan, p. 319

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: February 04, 2020, 11:54:38 PM »
CONVERSATIONS WITH ANNAMALAI SWAMI

DO NOT CLING TO BLISSFUL STATES

Q: I know that Bhagavan is within all forms but sometimes I feel that it is easier to feel his grace by concentrating on an image of him.
Self-inquiry is such hard work. One rarely feels blissful or peaceful doing it. Sometimes I feel like treating myself to a little bliss by looking at Bhagavan's picture for a while.

AS: There is nothing wrong with looking at Bhagavan's picture. It is a very good practice. But you should not get sidetracked from your main objective which is establishing yourself as consciousness. Don't get attached to states of bliss or give them priority over the quest for the Self. If you become attached to peaceful or blissful states you may lose interest in your main quest.

It is good to feel blissful and peaceful but don't indulge yourself in these states at the expense of self-inquiry. If you realize the inner Self, if you realize that there is not an atom which is apart from the Self, you will experience the real peace and bliss of the Self.

You will BE the peace and bliss rather than being the experiencer of it. If you enjoy temporary states of peace and bliss in the mind, the experiencer of that peace and bliss will not want to subside into the Self and disappear.

Don't get attached to mental peace. Go beyond it to the real peace which comes from being the Self.

LWB, p. 339

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: February 06, 2020, 12:24:51 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: February 07, 2020, 07:20:03 PM »
MY LIFE WITH BHAGAVAN

My life with Bhagavan taught me the value of faith, obedience, and surrender. When I obeyed Bhagavan?s words or had complete faith that he would look after all my spiritual and physical needs, everything went well. When I tried to mold my own destiny (such as the time I went to live in the cave and the time I ran away to Polur) things went badly. Life?s lessons have thus taught me the value and the necessity of complete surrender.

If one surrenders completely to Bhagavan; if one lives by his words, ignoring all others; if one has enough faith in Bhagavan to stop making plans about the future; if one can banish all doubts and worries by having faith in Bhagavan?s omnipotence ? then, and only then, Bhagavan will bend and mold one?s circumstances, transforming them in such a way that one?s spiritual and physical needs are always satisfied.

?Living by the Words of Bhagavan?

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: February 08, 2020, 03:16:09 PM »
Disciple: After chatting for some time, in the course of conversation, I told the Mother, "Mother, you are Mahamaya; you have nicely deluded us by bestowing parents, husbands, and children on us."

The Mother( Sarada Devi )  immediately replied,

"Don't speak like this - that I have kept others deluded! The sufferings of people bound in the world pain me very much. But what can I do, my child? They don't seek liberation"