Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 503653 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #2445 on: December 22, 2019, 12:44:12 PM »

Correcting oneself is correcting the whole world -Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi

Bhagavan taught that one should reform oneself rather than find fault with others. In practical terms, this means that one should find the source of one's own mind rather than make complaints about other people's minds and actions.
I can remember a typical reply that Bhagavan gave on this subject.

A devotee, who was quite intimate with Bhagavan, asked him, ?Some of the devotees who live with Bhagavan behave very strangely. They seem to do many things that Bhagavan does not approve of. Why does Bhagavan not correct them?'

Bhagavan replied, 'Correcting oneself is correcting the whole
world. The sun is simply bright. It does not correct anyone.
Because it shines the whole world is full of light. Transforming yourself is a means of giving light to the whole world.'

Once, while I was sitting in the hall, someone complained to
Bhagavan about one of the devotees who was sitting there: 'He is not meditating here; he is just sleeping.' 'How can you know that?' retorted Bhagavan. 'Only because you yourself gave up your meditation to look at him! First, see yourself and don't concern yourself with other people's habits.'
Bhagavan sometimes used to say: 'Some people who come here have two aims: they want Bhagavan to be perfect and they want the ashram to be perfect. To achieve this goal they make all kinds of complaints and suggestions. They don't come here to correct themselves; they only come here to correct others.

These people don't seem to remember the reason why they came to Bhagavan in the first place If they do one namaskaram to us they think that the ashram is then their kingdom. Such people think that we ought to behave like their slaves, only doing whatever they think we ought to do.?

Source : Annamalai Swamy's book Living by the Words of Bhagavan p 116
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2446 on: December 22, 2019, 07:21:54 PM »
The one who follows the thought is also a thought! The one who follows the thought IS in thought. When you know that both are thoughts, you are home. You are not in Home, you ARE Home. Then allow thoughts to arise and allow them to be followed. You remain as That unmoved and unconcerned Being. This is the highest understanding.

Papaji
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2447 on: December 22, 2019, 09:50:27 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2448 on: December 24, 2019, 10:08:19 PM »
Effort or Effortlessness

A young man from Colombo asked Bhagavan, ?J. Krishnamurti teaches the method of effortless and choiceless awareness as distinct from that of deliberate concentration. Would Sri Bhagavan be pleased to explain how best to practise meditation and what form the object of meditation should take?"

BHAGAVAN: Effortless and choiceless awareness is our real nature. If we can attain it or be in that state, it is all right. But one cannot reach it without effort, the effort of deliberate meditation. All the age-long vasanas carry the mind outward and turn it to external objects. All such thoughts have to be given up and the mind turned inward. For that, effort is necessary for most people. Of course everybody, every book says, i.e., ?Be quiet or still?. But it is not easy. That is why all this effort is necessary. Even if we find one who has at once achieved the mauna or Supreme state indicated by you may take it that the effort necessary has already been finished in a previous life. So that, effortless and choiceless awareness is reached only after deliberate meditation. That meditation can take any form which appeals to you best. See what helps you to keep away all other thoughts and adopt that method for your meditation?.

DAY BY DAY WITH BHAGAVAN
From the Diary of A. DEVARAJA MUDALIAR

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: December 24, 2019, 10:10:22 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: December 25, 2019, 05:18:43 PM »
Bhagavan once told a story about a man who wanted to bury his own shadow in a deep pit. He dug the pit and stood in such a position that his shadow was on the bottom of it. The man then tried to bury it by covering it with earth. Each time he threw some soil in the hole the shadow appeared on top of it. Of course, he never succeeded in burying the shadow.

Many people behave like this when they meditate. They take the mind to be real, try to fight it and kill it, and always fail. These fights against the mind are all mental activities which strengthen the mind instead of weakening it. If you want to get rid of the mind, all you have to do is understand that it is 'not me'. Cultivate the awareness "I am the immanent consciousness". When that understanding becomes firm, the non-existent mind will not trouble you.

Annamalai Swami

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: December 26, 2019, 11:40:53 PM »
After moving to Palakottu I used to come to Bhagavan every day at around eight at night, after dinner, which was served at 7:30, and stay till about 9:00 o'clock.

One night I saw Bhagavan completely enclosed in a piece of cloth, except for the nose. I used to converse freely with Bhagavan, like a son with his father. I asked him, "Does this mean that you do not like to meet me here, or is it that you don't want me to come to the Ashram at all?" Bhagavan remained silent. At about 9 o'clock I left the Hall. I was nearing the garden thinking about Bhagavan's directive to me to stay put at Palakottu when I heard Him call me. He beckoned me to him and said in a very strong and stern voice, "He who, despite the right spiritual maturity, thinks that he is different from the Lord will reach the same lower state as does a non-believer."

I felt that Bhagavan was telling me not to move out of Palakottu, not even to visit the Ashram. I have never left Palakottu since.

Annamalai Swami, RAMANA MAHARSHI DEVOTEES

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: December 29, 2019, 01:55:25 PM »
Padam's power

One day when I was sitting by the side of Bhagavan I felt so miserable that I put the following question to him: "Is the 'sankalpa' (will or intention) of the jnani not capable of warding off the destinies of the devotees?"
Bhagavan smiled and said:" Does the jnani have a 'sankalpa' at all? The 'jivanmukta' (liberated being) can have no sankalpas whatsoever. It is just impossible."
I continued:" Then what is the fate of all of us who pray to you to have grace on us and save us? Will we not be benefited or saved by sitting in front of you, or by coming to you?"
Bhagavan turned graciously to me and said:"...a person's bad karma will be considerably reduced while he is in the presence of a jnani. A jnani has no sankalpas but his 'sannhidi' (presence) is the most powerful force.
He need not have sankalpa, but his presiding presence, the most powerful force can do wonders: save souls, give peace of mind,, even give liberation to ripe souls. Your prayers are not answered by him but absorbed by his presence. His presence saves you, wards off the karma and gives you the boons as the case may be, (but) involuntarily. The jnani does save the devotees, but not by sankalpa, which is non-existent in him, only through his presiding presence, his sannhidi.

PADAMALAI
Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi recorded by Muruganar
-edited and annotated by D.Godman

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: December 29, 2019, 09:49:01 PM »
Sri Bhagavan's manner of speaking was itself unique. His normal state was silence. He spoke so little, casual visitors who only saw him for a short while wondered whether he ever spoke. To put questions to him and to elicit his replies was an art in itself that required an unusual exercise in self-control. A sincere doubt, an earnest question submitted to him never went without an answer, though sometimes his silence itself was the best answer to particular questions. A questioner needed to be able to wait patiently. To have the maximum chance of receiving a good answer, you had to put your question simply and briefly. Then you had to remain quiet and attentive. Sri Bhagavan would take his time and then begin slowly and haltingly to speak. As his speech continued, it would gather momentum. It would be like a drizzle gradually strengthening into a shower. Sometimes it might go on for hours together, holding the audience spellbound. But throughout the talk you had to keep completely still and not butt in with counter remarks. Any interruption from you would break the thread of his discourse and he would at once resume silence. He would never enter into a discussion, nor would he argue with anyone. The fact was, what he spoke was not a view or an opinion but the direct emanation of light from within that manifested as words in order to dispel the darkness of ignorance. The whole purpose of his reply was to make you turn inward, to make you see the light of truth within yourself.

FROM The Power of the Presence.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: December 30, 2019, 12:57:49 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: December 30, 2019, 04:08:56 PM »
This is how Sri Bhagavan?s grace worked.
He did not need to initiate or transmit grace by touching devotees, nor did he even seem to need to concentrate on them. A single look was often enough to transform whomever his gaze fell upon.
All those who have experienced that look of grace can testify to the tremendous impact it had on them. That silent look transmitted his highest teaching.

A devotee once complained that Sri Bhagavan gave the highest teachings to everyone, irrespective of their limitations. That particular devotee thought that beginners should be given preliminary exercises, along the lines prescribed by traditional gurus. He even offered to teach these people himself and initiate them!

It is a measure of Sri Bhagavan?s greatness that he said that he was not interested in handing out half-truths and lesser teachings. What mattered to him was the dissemination of the purest truth, and for that we shall be eternally grateful.

? from Kunjuswami?s reminiscences with Bhagavan as retold in The Power of the Presence

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: December 31, 2019, 02:19:43 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: December 31, 2019, 03:12:48 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: January 05, 2020, 10:23:11 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: January 05, 2020, 11:11:29 PM »
It is impossible for the jiva who has become a victim of ego delusion to overcome even slightly the force of prarabdha. Therefore, unless he subsides in the Heart by relying primarily on God's grace, he can never, by mere effort, which is the activity of the rising ego, overcome the buffeting momentum of that prarabdha, subside by himself [in the Heart], attain Self-realization and be freed from fear-causing delusion.

Guru vachaka kovai.