Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 284491 times)

Orihh

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #2265 on: June 26, 2017, 07:50:40 PM »
Thank you for your wisdom and clarification.
Om Namo Saradamma

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: June 28, 2017, 08:07:21 AM »
Today is Manikkavachagar Swamigal's Guru Puja.  He attained liberation in Chidambaram, when the priests were asking for the meaning of Tiruvachakam.
He showed the feet of Nataraja and said:  The meaning of my poems is THIS.
He then merged with the feet of Nataraja.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: June 28, 2017, 12:23:39 PM »
Today is Amarneethi Nayanar's liberation day.  The details of his life story, have
already been given in my serial posts on 63 Saiva Saints.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: July 19, 2017, 04:03:24 PM »
TEACHINGS OF SWAMI BRAHMANANDA, SPIRITUAL SON OF SRI RAMAKRISHNA
Maharaj, in spite of all my efforts, my mind is still restless. How can I curb it?
?Practice japa and meditation regularly. Do not miss even one day. The mind is like a spoiled child -always restless.
Try repeatedly to steady it by fixing it on the Chosen Ideal, and at last you will become absorbed in Him.
If you continue your practice for two or three years, you will begin to feel an unspeakable joy and the mind will become steady. In the beginning the practice of japa and meditation seems dry. It is like taking bitter medicine.
You must forcibly pour the thought of God into your mind,
then as you persist, you will be flooded with joy.
What a tremendous ordeal a student goes through in order to pass his examination. To realize God is a far easier task! Call on him sincerely with a tranquil heart?
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: July 27, 2017, 02:53:30 PM »
No matter what happens to your body, meditate. The body is a treacherous friend. Give it its due; no more. Never go to sleep at night until you have communed with God. Your body will remind you that you have worked hard and need rest, but the more you ignore its demands and concentrate on the Lord, the more you will be filled with joyous life. Then you will know that you are not the body. MEDITATE UNCEASINGLY that you quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. Cease being a prisoner of the body, using the secret of Meditation and learn to escape into the Spirit.
- Paramahansa Yogananda
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: July 29, 2017, 08:37:45 AM »
A level of mental maturity is reached when nothing external is of any value and the heart is ready to relinquish all. Then the real has a chance and it grasps it. Delays, if any, are caused by the mind being unwilling to see or to discard.
-I AM THAT ch 98

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: July 29, 2017, 08:49:33 AM »
In fact there may not be found any single individual in the world possessing all the qualities in perfection necessary for a mumukshu [mature soul] as mentioned in the Yoga Sutras etc.
Still pursuit of Atmajnana should not be abandoned. Everyone is the Self by aparoksha [immediate or direct knowledge], although he is not aware, but identifies the Self with the body and feels miserable.
- Conscious Immortality

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: July 30, 2017, 11:30:31 AM »
Whenever you get that thought of difficulty, dispose of it altogether by trying to find out whence it arises.
Q. Can I realize the Self? It looks so difficult.
A. You are already the Self. Therefore realization is for everyone. Realization knows no difference in the aspirants. This very doubt if I can realize or the feeling I have not realized, are the obstacles. Be free from these also.
Q. Nevertheless unless I have the experience, how can I be free from these conflicting thoughts?
A. These are also in the mind. They are there because you have identified yourself with the body. If this false identity drops away, ignorance will vanish and truth be revealed.
- Conscious Immortalit

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: August 01, 2017, 12:19:34 AM »
Visit not miracle-mongers and those who exibit occult powers. These men are stragglers from the path of Truth."

~ Sri Ramakrishna Paramahansa

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: August 06, 2017, 11:46:04 PM »
Q: Is there any particular place you would advise me to go to for spiritual attainment?
M: The only proper place is within. The outer world neither can help nor hinder. No system, no pattern of action will take you to your goal. Give up all working for a future, concentrate totally on the now, be concerned only with your response to every movement of life as it happens.
M: Transiency is the best proof of unreality.
I AM THAT ch 69

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: August 08, 2017, 08:42:54 AM »
The body thought is a distraction from the Self. For whom is the body or birth? It is not for the Self, the spirit.
It is for the non-self which imagines itself separate.
Just as a miser keeps his treasures always with himself and never parts with them, so the Self safeguards the vasanas in that which is closest to itself, i.e. within the Heart. The Heart radiates vitality to the brain and thus causes its function. The vasanas are enclosed in the Heart in their subtlest form, and later projected on the brain, which reflects them with high magnification.
This is how the world is made to go on and this is why the world is nothing more than a cinema show.
- Conscious Immortality

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: August 08, 2017, 09:02:14 AM »
[Post # 1,010] Reminiscence of Vaikuntha Nath Sanyal:
The Master would say: "Some people believe God is with form, while others believe he is formless. This also limits God. I say God is with form, without form, and again beyond both. Take for example the sound of a bell- ?dhong?. The first letter represents the aspect with form, the nasal portion his formless aspect, and the impression the word leaves in the mind after the whole has been pronounced stands for the Absolute aspect.
Furthermore, God has many forms and many names. For instance, a confectioner takes' fresh cheese and sugar and makes a preparation over fire, which he then forms into various shapes, giving them different names. But the real substance is the same, no matter what shape or name is given. Similarly, whatever names and forms you see or hear are all made by combining Purusha [Spirit] and Prakriti [matter] aspects of Satchidananda Brahman. It is due to distance that God looks small or variously coloured, but when you go near him, you will find he is omnipresent and self- luminous.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: August 15, 2017, 03:56:04 PM »
Mother( Anandmaye Ma )  said that there are two basic methods of meditation:
One is to concentrate on the breath observing each inhalation and exhalation. Then when the mind has become stilled in this manner, one should practice vichara, inquiring "Who am I?" until the true Self is revealed. She said that in this way one becomes a light unto oneself.
The second way is to think of one's mantra (or any name of
God) with each inhalation and exhalation, feeling that both the Name and the Breath are none other than God Himself ?the very breath of life? thus becoming fully absorbed in this devotional awareness. The first way is one of Jnana and the second of Bhakti.
Again She told me to think of the Pranava [Om] as much as possible.
She said: "It must become so automatic that you cannot breathe without remembering it. Do your personal mantra when you sit for meditation and the rest of the time the Pranava".
?Death Must Die, p. 423

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: August 24, 2017, 07:54:34 PM »
Friends,
This is apropos the thread that reported 'Ill treatment of animals, sadhus and the poor' at Ramana Asramam under the Heading 'Cautionary Advice'.

Here is an excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
MASTER: "It is not lust alone that one should be afraid of in the life of the world.  There is also anger.  Anger arises when obstacles are placed in the way of desire."

M: "At meal-time, sometimes a cat stretches out its paw to take the fish from my plate.  But I cannot show any resentment."

MASTER: "Why? You may even beat it once in a while.  What's the harm? A worldly man should hiss, but he shouldn't pour out his venom.  He mustn't actually injure others.  But he should make a show of anger to protect himself from enemies.  Otherwise they will injure him.  But a sannyasi need not even hiss."

Sometimes it is necessary to take seemingly harsh steps...I have a recorded conversation where Sri Annamalai Swami asks for a stick -'KOl engey?'(Where is the stick?)...A Monkey had jumped in to steal something and Swami asks for the stick to shoo it away.

Namaskar

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: August 27, 2017, 11:27:48 PM »
CONVERSATIONS WITH ANNAMALAI SWAMI
Question: What is the easiest way to be free of the 'little self?
Annamalai Swami: Stop identifying with it. If you can convince yourself This "little self? is not really me? it will just disappear.
Q: But how to do this?
AS: The 'little self? is something which only appears to be real. If
you understand that it has no real existence it will disappear,
leaving behind it the experience of the real and only Self.
Understand that it has no real existence and it will stop troubling you.
Consciousness is universal. There is no limitation or 'little self?
in it. It is only when we identify with and limit ourselves to the body and the mind that this false self is ?born?. If through enquiry, you go to the source of this 'little self?, you find that it dissolves into nothingness.
Q: But I am very accustomed to feel ?I am this "little self??.
I cannot break this habit merely by thinking ?I am not this "little self ??.
AS: This 'little self will only give way to the real Self if you meditate constantly. You cannot wish it away with a few stray thoughts. Try to remember the analogy of the rope which looks like a snake in the twilight. If you see the rope as a snake, the real nature of the rope is hidden from you. If you only see the rope, the snake is not there. Not only that, you know that there never was a snake there. When you have that clear and correct perception that the snake never at any time existed, the question of how to kill the snake disappears.
- LWB p 264