Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 283929 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #2205 on: March 09, 2017, 08:33:01 AM »
The 'lazy' state of just being and shining is the state of the Self, and that is the highest state that one can attain. Revere as the most virtuous those who have attained that 'lazy' state which cannot be attained except by very great and rare tapas'.
- GVK 774
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: March 09, 2017, 09:25:14 AM »
D.: Why doesn?t Sri Bhagavan go about preaching the truth to the people at large?
B.: How do you know that I don?t? Does preaching consistin mounting a platform and haranguing the people around?
Preaching is simple communication of knowledge and can be done in silence too. What do you think of a man listening to a
harangue for an hour and going away without being impressed by it so as to change his life? Compare him with another who sits in a holy presence and leaves after some time with his outlook on life totally changed. Which is better: to preach loudly without effect or to sit silently sending forth intuitive force to act on others?
Again, how does speech arise? First, there is abstract knowledge (unmanifest). From this there arises the ego which gives rise to thoughts and words successively. So then:
Abstract Knowledge

Ego

Thoughts

Words
Words therefore are the great-grandsons of the original source. If words can produce an effect, consider how much more powerful preaching through silence must be.
Bhagavan answered those who doubted its utility that Realisation was the greatest help they could possibly render to others. Indeed, Bhagavan himself was the standing proof of
this, as one saw from the numbers of people helped to the very depth of their being, lifted out of confusion and sorrow on to a firm path of peace and understanding, by the silent
influence of his grace. And yet, at the same time, he reminded them that, from the point of view of knowledge, there are no others to help.
TEACHINGS OF RAMANA MAHARSHI IN HIS OWN WORDS
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: March 10, 2017, 08:30:13 AM »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: March 11, 2017, 12:49:09 PM »
Today is Masi month, Magha Nakshatra.  There will be abhishekam, alankaram and arti
for Chidambaram Nataraja.  The Nataraja idol will be brought to the 1000 pillared hall
and these will be done. Hundreds of devotees will witness this rare event.

Arunachala Siva.   

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: March 11, 2017, 01:11:28 PM »
Thoughts must cease and the reasoning faculty (manas) disappear. Feeling is the prime factor in meditation, not reason. It ought to come in the right side of chest, not in the head, because the Heart is there. It must be held tight.
Your present experience of thought-ceasing is due to the influence of the atmosphere you are now in. Can you find the same experience away from this atmosphere? It is spasmodic. Until it becomes permanent, practice is necessary. After one gets established in Truth, practice drops away, naturally.
Q. Is meditation analytical or synthetical?
A. Analysis and synthesis are in the region of intellect. The Self transcends the intellect.
What is meditation? It is to think about one thing. Therefore, in meditation try to hold on to one thought, and all the other thoughts will gradually go away. They may be present for some time but if you resolutely hold to your single thought, they will not trouble you. Our minds are weak through habit, unable to concentrate. We must make the mind strong so as to keep to one thought.
- Conscious Immortality
M.: What is meditation? It is expulsion of thoughts. You are perturbed by thoughts which rush one after another. Hold on to one thought so that others are expelled. Continuous practice gives the necessary strength of mind to engage in meditation.
Meditation differs according to the degree of advancement of the seeker. If one is t for it one might directly hold the thinker; and the thinker will automatically sink into his source, namely Pure Consciousness.
If one cannot directly hold the thinker one must meditate on God; and in due course the same individual will have become sufficiently pure to hold the thinker and sink into absolute Being.
-
Talk 453

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: March 12, 2017, 12:22:07 PM »
CONVERSATIONS WITH ANNAMALAI SWAMI
In the peace of the Self there are no vasanas. If you can establish yourself in the Self, all vasanas will be destroyed.
Witness the vasanas as they arise but don't identify with them or act on them. If you want to get rid of your vasanas you must learn to practice non-involvement.
If you feel yourself identifying with a vasana when it starts to rise, remind yourself. 'This vasana is not me' and withdraw into the Self. If you learn to ignore your vasanas in this way they will eventually stop rising.
- Living by the Words of Bhagavan , p. 346

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: March 13, 2017, 12:54:22 PM »
Today is Holi Festival.  The day on which Manmatha is burnt and from Siva's eyes,
comes the fire which is dropped in Saravana Pond, and from there, Muruga comes forth
and He kills Surapadma and his brothers, to relieve the devas from the suffering.

This festival is celebrated in North India and in parts of Northern Karnataka.

Arunachala Siva. 

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: March 14, 2017, 08:21:19 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: March 15, 2017, 02:42:14 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: March 17, 2017, 11:55:27 AM »
ANNAMALAI SWAMI REMEMBERED
Self-correction : ?The sun is simply bright. It does not correct anyone.?
Bhagavan taught that one should reform oneself rather than find fault with others. In practical terms this means that one should find the source of one's own mind rather than make complaints about other people's minds and actions.
I can remember a typical reply that Bhagavan gave on this subject.
A devotee, who was quite intimate with Bhagavan, asked him, ?Some of the devotees who live with Bhagavan behave very strangely. They seem to do many things that Bhagavan does not approve of. Why does Bhagavan not correct them?'
Bhagavan replied, 'Correcting oneself is correcting the whole
world
. The sun is simply bright. It does not correct anyone.
Because it shines the whole world is full of light. Transforming
yourself is a means of giving light to the whole world.'

Once, while I was sitting in the hall, someone complained to
Bhagavan about one of the devotees who was sitting there: 'He is not meditating here, he is just sleeping.' 'How can you know that?' retorted Bhagavan. 'Only because you yourself gave up your meditation to look at him! First see yourself and don't concern yourself with other people's habits.'
Bhagavan sometimes used to say: 'Some people who come
here have two aims: they want Bhagavan to be perfect and they want the ashram to be perfect. To achieve this goal they make all kinds of complaints and suggestions. They don't come here to correct themselves; they only come here to correct others.
These people don't seem to remember the reason why they came to Bhagavan in the first place If they do one namaskaram to us they think that the ashram is then their kingdom. Such people think that we ought to behave like their slaves, only doing whatever they think we ought to do.?
Living by the Words of Bhagavan p 116

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: March 18, 2017, 09:46:33 AM »
Q: When I keep the mind on this feeling of 'I am', must I be relaxed and quiet? Should I see what is happening, without interfering, or should I be observing, scrutinizing, comparing, etc. ?
AS: It is enough if you can simply relax in this 'I am?. Whatever happens in this 'I am?, this consciousness, just be indifferent to it.
You are the consciousness itself, not the thoughts and ideas that appear in it. Many things both good and bad are going on in this world. We don't bother about most of them because we think, ?these things are happening to somebody else and not to me?.
In the same way, be the consciousness 'I am' and be indifferent to the various things that come and go in your mind. If you identify with thoughts, judge them, compare them, worry about them, try to suppress them, or get involved with them in any way, they will cause you trouble. Instead, be utterly indifferent to them. If you don't pay them any attention, they can never adversely affect you.
Living by the Words of Bhagavan, p. 322

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: March 19, 2017, 08:18:37 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: March 24, 2017, 10:18:02 AM »
THE IDEA OF PROGRESS

Q. How am I to know if I am making any progress in my meditation?
AS: Those who meditate a lot often develop a subtle form of ego. They become pleased with the idea that they are making some progress; they become pleased with the states of peace and bliss that they enjoy; they become pleased that they have learned to exercise some control over their wayward minds; or they may derive some satisfaction from the fact that they have found a good guru or a good method of meditation.
All these feelings are ego feelings. When ego feelings are present, awareness of the Self is absent. The thought 'I am meditating? is an ego thought. If real meditation is taking place, this thought cannot arise.
Don't worry about whether you are making progress or not.
Just keep your attention on the Self twenty-four hours a day.
Meditation is not something that should be done in a particular position at a particular time. It is an awareness and an attitude that must persist throughout the day. To be effective, meditation must be continuous.
If you want to water a field you dig a channel to the field and send water continuously along it for a lengthy period of time.
If you send water for only ten seconds and then stop, the water sinks into the ground even before it reaches the field. You will not be able to reach the Self and stay there without a prolonged, continuous effort. Each time you give up trying, or get distracted, some of your previous effort goes to waste.
Continuous inhalation and exhalation are necessary for the continuance of life. Continuous meditation is necessary for all
those who want to stay in the Self.
LWB, p. 277

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: March 25, 2017, 01:34:39 PM »
From ~~~ Arunachala Ashrama Newsletter (Mar/Apr 2005)
By T.S.Vaidyanathan.

"Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya"
This mantra was revealed to Sri T.K. Sundaresa Iyer, an ardent devotee, and subsequently approved by Bhagavan to invoke his presence. It is known as the Dwadakshara Mantra of Bhagavan, which means that it has twelve letters.
In Hinduism it is common to keep the actual mantra hidden, referring to it as a five or six-lettered mantra without actually telling the mantra.
This is done to protect the integrity and purity of the mantra so that the uninitiated may not misuse it. When we read in Suri Nagamma's Letters from Sri Ramanasramam that the Dwadakshara mantra was being chanted before the Cow Lakshmi during her final days, this is the mantra to which she was referring. The actual meaning is, in brief, as follows:
Om
This is the bija mantra of Lord Shiva, deriving its origin from Soham, which indicates the unity of jiva and Shiva. It also refers to the immanent form of Lord Shiva. It is sometimes called Pranava, which is believed to be the fundamental sound behind all creation.
Namo
Mana in Sanskrit means mind. The mind of jiva goes out towards the world. If the word is reversed, mana becomes nama, which means turning to God or Self within. Namah is a common ending of most divine names meaning "I turn to you." Thus Namo is grammatically necessitated.
Bhagavate
One who possesses bhaga. There are six bhagas indicative of Divinity. Only God or His true incarnations can possess them. The attributes are all-around power, dharma, fame, prosperity, knowledge and dispassion.
Sri
Has several meanings, but in this context it means "Gracious.
Ramanaya
One who revels in the Self.
So the meaning of the mantra is:
"I take refuge in the Gracious Divine Lord Ramana."

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: March 25, 2017, 01:39:48 PM »
From ~~~ Living by the Words of Bhagavan, P 209.
Annamalai Swami:

My life with Bhagavan taught me the value of faith,
obedience and surrender.
When I obeyed Bhagavan's words,
or had complete faith that he would look after
all my spiritual and physical needs,
everything went well.
When I tried to mould my own destiny
(such as the time I went to live in the cave
and the time I ran away to Polur)
things went badly.
Life's lessons have thus taught me the value
and the necessity of complete surrender.
If one surrenders completely to Bhagavan;
if one lives by his words,
ignoring all others;
if one has enough faith in Bhagavan
to stop making plans about the future;
if one can banish all doubts and worries
by having faith in Bhagavans omnipotence-
then, and only then,
Bhagavan will bend and mould one's circumstances,
transforming them in such a way
that one's spiritual and physical needs
are always satisfied.