Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 343744 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #2160 on: December 15, 2016, 05:09:58 PM »

WAKING AND DREAM

Even while sleeping on a soft bed, you roam repeatedly and suffer in an illusory dream. But when you wake up, and it all becomes false and fades away, you truly know that you are the single unattached entity who previously went to sleep. Attaining Self-knowledge is similar to this.
- Guru Vachaka Kovai v. 564
Bhagavan: There is a story in Chandogya Upanishad which explains this. A man who was sleeping soundly in his house began to dream. In the dream somebody came and put some drug in his nose and then, after blindfolding his eyes and tying his hands, left him in the middle of a forest and went away. Without knowing the path to get back home, he wandered for a long time among the thorns and stones of the forest. Eventually he began to cry.
A deva[spirit being] appeared and asked, ?Why are you crying? Who are you? Why did you come here??
The blindfolded man gave the particulars of his name, village and so on.
Then he said, ?Someone came and deluded me with drugs, blindfolded my eyes, tied my hands, left me in the middle of the forest and went away.?
The deva freed him from his ties, showed him a path and told him, ?If you follow this path you will reach your village.?
The man followed the instructions, reached his village and entered his own house. At that moment he woke up from his dream. He looked at the door and saw that it was locked from the inside. He realized that he had spent the whole night lying on his bed and that he had never been to a forest or returned from there. He understood that the cause of all his suffering was his avichara buddhi [his lack of discerning enquiry.
The idea that we are separate from God and the idea that we have to undergo some arduous sadhana to reach Him are as false as the ideas that this man had in his dream. While he was lying comfortably in bed his imagination led him to believe that he was suffering in a forest and that he had to make a great effort to get back to bed again. One attains God and one remains in the state of Self when the thought of wanting to attain stops.
- Living by the Words of Bhagavan, pp. 215-16
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: December 15, 2016, 05:12:20 PM »

CONVERSATIONS WITH ANNAMALAI SWAMI

Q: I have read that if one meditates intensively enough, the current of meditation continues throughout the night. Just before I go to sleep at night I repeat to myself, 'I am not the body, I am not the mind, I am the immanent Self'. Will that have any effect? Will it work during the night?
AS: What you are doing is very good. If you go to sleep with that strong conviction uppermost in your mind, it will work on the mind while you are asleep. If this idea is present while you sleep, the next morning this thought will come up of its own accord as the first thought of the day.
- LWB, p. 330
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: December 16, 2016, 10:05:42 PM »

I SEE NO SAINTS NOR SINNERS, ONLY LIVING BEINGS
Q: If a sinner, a breaker of the law, comes before you and asks for your grace, what will be your response?
M: He will get what he asks for.
Q: In spite of being a very bad man?
M: I know no bad people, I only know myself. I see no saints nor sinners, only living beings. I do not hand out grace.
There is nothing I can give, or deny, which you do not have already in equal measure. Just be aware of your riches and make full use of them. As long as you imagine that you need my grace, you will be at my door begging for it.
- Nisargadatta Maharaj, I AM THAT ch 97

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: December 16, 2016, 10:12:08 PM »

?When we get angry, we suffer. If you really understand that, you also will be able to understand that when the other person is angry, it means that she is suffering. When someone insults you or behaves violently towards you, you have to be intelligent enough to see that the person suffers from his own violence and anger. But we tend to forget. We think that we are the only one that suffers, and the other person is our oppressor. This is enough to make anger arise, and to strengthen our desire to punish. We want to punish the other person because we suffer. Then, we have anger in us; we have violence in us, just as they do. When we see that our suffering and anger are no different from their suffering and anger, we will behave more compassionately. So understanding the other is understanding yourself, and understanding yourself is understanding the other person. Everything must begin with you.?
Thich Nhat Hanh, 'Anger: Wisdom for Cooling the Flames'

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: December 20, 2016, 12:57:06 PM »
People often misunderstand samadhi [absorption].
Bhagavan told the story of the yogi who spent hundreds of years in trance on the Ganges and on awakening his first thought was for some water he had asked for before entering trance. The thoughts had resumed their sway. The trance was useless.
Maharshi said real attainment was to be FULLY CONSCIOUS, to be aware of your surroundings and the people around, to move among them all, but not to merge your consciousness in the environment.
Remain in your inner independent awareness of IT. That is the highest ? not to sit in trance which merely halts the mind.
The mind must be destroyed entirely, not merely arrested.
- Conscious Immortality

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: December 21, 2016, 12:25:52 PM »
Today is Iyarpakai Nayanar's Guru Puja.

He got liberated on the Uthiram star day, in the month of Margazhi.

The detailed life story of Iyarpakai Nayanar has been given by me in
the 63 Saiva Saints, in the serial posts on these saints of Siva.  Members
interested may go through the same to know the life story of the saint.

Arunachala Siva.   
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 12:28:52 PM by Subramanian.R »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: December 21, 2016, 04:12:25 PM »
Q: Here at Arunachala it seems relatively easy to have spiritual discrimination. In Paris, with our daily activities and so many external influences, it is much more difficult.
AS: Thoughts such as 'Arunachala is different from Paris? 'I work
in Paris'?these are concepts which arise only after we identify ourselves with the body and take the body to be ?I?. If you accept such ideas you are automatically handicapping yourself.
Q: Through our practice we feel that we are approaching reality, but we also feel that we have a long way to go.
As: You cannot approach reality or be at any distance from it.
The Self is never distant from you because you already are that. To get rid of all your false ideas you must generate a firm conviction that this is so. 'I am the Self;" I am all; everything is the Self.' That mantra is the most effective and the most powerful tool for this. If you repeat it always, all energy will come to you because you truly are the all-pervasive consciousness.
Q: Suppose that we give this mantra to a tape recorder. It may repeat it endlessly but it will not become an all-pervasive tape recorder. Is repeating alone enough?
AS: If you repeat anything constantly and generate enough faith to believe that what you are saying is correct, your mind will eventually become what you are repeating. If you repeat what is actually true that you are the Self and you gain sufficient faith, eventually you will become Truth itself and realize the Self.
- LWB p. 304

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: December 22, 2016, 09:00:16 AM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: December 22, 2016, 09:26:29 AM »
Q: I can understand that repeating this phrase (the mantra ?I am the Self?) is beneficial when the mind is active and outward-moving. But should we also repeat it when we are experiencing inner silence?
AS: If one is always stabilized in the silence, that is the reality. But when the stabilization is only temporary, is that enough?
Q: The mantras can take one to a state of inner silence. Once they have achieved this purpose, why should we go on repeating them?
AS: There are different kinds of silence. If the mind stops in a silence that is similar to deep sleep, you should know that this is not the ultimate silence. If you remain in this state without continuing your meditation, no benefit will come for you. When this state comes to you it is better to continue your meditation on the Self.
Q: How can one tell whether one is experiencing that sleep-like silence instead of the true silence?
AS: If, after coming out of the silence, one immediately takes the body as 'I', one has not been experiencing the true silence. In the pursuit of inner silence, one should not enter laya [a temporary suspension of all mental faculties].
For example, a man does some work; then he feels tired and
takes some rest; afterwards he starts the work again. The silence should not be of this type. That is, if the mind is just temporarily taking some rest, you will not experience the real silence. A complete absence of thoughts does not necessarily mean that one 's experiencing the silence of the Self.
If there is a sense of freshness and clarity in the silence, if one's awareness shines in such a way that one feels joyful and utterly peaceful, this is more likely to be the real silence. If this awareness, this wakefulness, is not there, it is better to continue with japa and dhyana.
- Living by the Words of Bhagavan, p. 305

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: December 22, 2016, 01:51:48 PM »
There is something in this man which holds my attention as steel filings are held by a magnet. I cannot turn my gaze away from him. My initial bewilderment, my perplexity at being totally ignored, slowly fade away as this strange fascination begins to grip me more firmly. But it is not till the second hour of the uncommon scene that I become aware of a silent, resistless change which is taking place within my mind.One by one, the questions which I have prepared in the train with such meticulous accuracy drop away. For it does not now seem to matter whether they are asked or not, and it does not seem to matter whether I solve the problems which have hitherto troubled me. I know only that a steady river of quietness seems to be flowing near me, that a great peace is penetrating the inner reaches of my being, and that my thought-tortured brain is beginning to arrive at some rest.

A-Search-in-Secret-India page 141
DR. PAUL BRUNTON
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: December 23, 2016, 09:06:03 PM »
I AM THE WITNESS
Q: I do believe you, but when it comes to the actual finding of this inner self, I find it escapes me.
M: The idea 'it escapes me', where does it arise?
Q: In the mind.
M: And who knows the mind?
Q: The witness of the mind knows the mind.
M: Did anybody come to you and say: 'I am the witness of your mind'?
Q: Of course not. He would have been just another idea in the mind.
M: Then who is the witness?
Q: I am.
M: So, you know the witness because you are the witness. You need not see the witness in front of you. Here again, to be is to know.
Q: Yes, I see that I am the witness, the awareness itself. But in which way does it profit me?
M: What a question! What kind of profit do you expect? To know what you are, is it not good enough?
Q: What are the uses of self-knowledge?
M: It helps you to understand what you are not and keeps you free from false ideas, desires and actions.
Q: If I am the witness only, what do right and wrong matter?
M: What helps you to know yourself is right. What prevents, is wrong. To know one's real self is bliss, to forget -- is sorrow.
Q: Is the witness-consciousness the real Self?
M: It is the reflection of the real in the mind (buddhi). The Real is beyond. The witness is the door through which you pass beyond.

I AM THAT ch 16

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: December 25, 2016, 01:56:20 PM »
Today ( 25 Dec 2016 ) is the Aradhana Day of Kanchi Mahaswamigal and so sharing an excellent talk rendered by the great Dancer Dr.Padma Subramanian and she has explained very beautifully who is Kanchi Mahaswamigal , what did he stand for and how he played a very vital role in many people's live be it rich , poor , Indian or foreigner , Upper Caste , Lower Caste etc . One of the best talks ever on Kanchi Mahaswamigal that even an Ordinary person can follow and get inspired . Listen to it and if inspired share it with others . Jaya Jaya Shankara Hara Hara Shankara

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YLEEfgJNOo

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: December 25, 2016, 09:10:13 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: December 25, 2016, 09:16:02 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: December 30, 2016, 06:09:05 AM »
Where God is worshipped every day, there the whole house becomes blessed with the highest prosperity. All joy, all blessedness, all prosperity comes to that house where God is worshipped regularly. Say thanks when you get up in the morning, for your health, for your body, for a clean mind, for energy in the body to live a life of usefulness to yourself and to all, and in the evening thank God again for the bounty of a good day, for clear weather, fresh air, good health and energy, opportunity to serve and be useful to yourself and to others. If every day there is thanksgiving and you always worship God in your home, there is bound to be prosperity. Where there is worship, in that place, there is the tangible presence of God, and where there is this tangible presence of the Deity, what to say of prosperity ? Everything that is good, everything that is blessed, will pervade that house, will fill that house.Where God is, all auspiciousness, all blessedness, all prosperity is there as a matter of course - just as luminosity is there, radiance is there, where there is light. So, if you wish to fill yourself with prosperity, be worshipful. Do not make the church/Temple alone the place of prayer and worship. Let every house be a centre of prayer. Let every house be the abode of God.
Swami Chidananda