Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 358355 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #2085 on: August 22, 2016, 02:14:48 PM »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: August 22, 2016, 10:13:16 PM »
Atmavichar,
Of course the debate on fate v/s free will is never ending so best is for people to see the truth of the same in their own lives .

To see the Truth of this in one's life,one must have the necessary understanding and conviction...only then the necessary effort can be exercised and the truth of the matter can be realized...this is true in all walks of life.

As Valluvar says:
கற்க கசடறக் கற்பவை கற்றபின்
நிற்க அதற்குத் தக.

The dialogue on fate and freewill by the Mahaswami clarifies the matter succinctly....and this would be a great lesson learnt....one that would help him to face all challenges in the right spirit and determination and overcome it.

Every seeker would do well to go over this dialogue and gain the needed clarity and conviction.....Debates will continue but that is more of empty engagement and entertainment which is not of any relevance for spiritual practice.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: August 22, 2016, 10:26:45 PM »
Nagaraj,

H.H.: "If they really and sincerely long for my guidance they will in spite of my seeming inaccessibility force themselves upon me". With His characteristic smile, He added, "Just as you have done."

The disciple understood this both as a hint and as an admonition and did not deem it proper to pursue the subject further.

Quite true...for considering that the 'disciple' was fortunate enough to get, after much difficulty, permission to meet His Holiness one evening,wonder whether he took advantage of the opportunity!

Namaskar

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: August 22, 2016, 10:44:27 PM »
Very good point Sri Ravi!  :) I wonder too!

It is just not enough if one gets a golden opportunity, but one should be blessed to even make good use of it. I Always believe along with this, a little but of luck or grace is always essential! The aspirant must have made some homework before after a good experience of life's trials and tribulations. One has to go through all odds of life in order to even be able to make use of a golden opportunity. This calls for our living our lives with awakened spirit, to be able to have attained by grace the blessed discrimination between the Real and Unreal - Shreys and Preyas. The Luck or grace also comes with our intentions and due diligence in living up to the ideals that we see!

--
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 10:46:01 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: August 22, 2016, 10:49:23 PM »
Friends,
I came across this article by Swami Yatiswarananda(a Disciple of Swami Brahmananda ,the 'spiritual son' of Sri Ramakrishna)...and am sharing it for the benefit of one and all...this again serves to clear another fundamental error that most seekers are prone to...'The Guru Cult'.This will be useful for those who look upon the deity or guru as endowed with form and worship him as such.

A NOTE ON THE GURU CULT-by Swami Yatiswarananda (this was initially a leaflet meant for private circulation and now embodied in Chapter 8, pp134-137, of MEDITATION AND SPIRITUAL LIFE, published by Sri Ramakrishna Math, Bangalore).

From times immemorial the Guru or the Spiritual teacher has been given the highest place of honour in India and elsewhere. The Hindu scriptures go to the length of saying that the Guru is Brahma, Vishnu, Maheswara, nay, even the Param Brahman- the Supreme Spirit Itself. Most people, however, forget that this has been said from the spiritual angle, and never from the physical point of view.
The trouble with most spiritual seekers is that they identify themselves with their bodies and personalities, and become devoted to a male or a female deity, and remain stuck there. And if they have a spiritual teacher, they cling to the form and personality of the teacher also. This is nothing but materialism, though given a spiritual colour. However useful it may be in the beginning, this spiritual materialism must be transcended; but how to do it is the question.
As one advances in the spiritual path, one must come to realise that the worshipper is a soul, and the deity that is worshipped is none other than the Paramatma Itself. The soul is, as it were, a part of the Paramatma-the Infinite Spirit, and the Guru also, in his true nature, is a divine manifestation through whom flows the divine grace, knowledge, love and bliss. The task before us is how to realise this truth that the devotee, the Ishta Devata, and the Guru are in reality manifestations of the same Transcendent Spirit.
Before beginning our meditation, let us first consider the body as the temple. We may now enter this temple through the gateway of the heart and find that our heart is filled with the light and consciousness of the Jivatma which is a part of the Paramatma-the Infinite Light and Infinite Consciousness. Let us merge our body, mind and the whole world into this Infinite Reality, and imagine that we are like a little sphere of light and consciousness interpenetrated and permeated by the Infinite Light and Infinite Consciousness. Since this form of meditation is beyond the reach
of the ordinary people, let us think that our soul puts on a pure mental body and a pure physical body, and the Paramatma takes the form of the Guru on one side, and of the Ishta Devata on the other. After saluting the Guru, we should merge his personality in the Ishta Devata, and meditate on Him or Her, repeating the Ishta Mantra.
The first step is Rupa Dhyana-that is to meditate on the entire luminous blissful form of the deity. The next is Guna Dhyana - that is to meditate on the infinite good qualities of the deity like infinite purity, knowledge, devotion, love and bliss. The third and the last stage is Swarupa Dhyana-that is to meditate on the All-pervading Consciousness of which the Holy Personality as well as the Guru and the disciples are different manifestations.This infinite background should never be forgotten during the previous stages of meditation.

continued....
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 10:51:35 PM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: August 22, 2016, 11:01:15 PM »
A NOTE ON THE GURU CULT-by Swami Yatiswarananda continued....
The spiritual seeker should always remember that the idolising of a human form and the blind worshipping of a human personality is a stumbling block in the spiritual progress, and is harmful both to the disciple and the Guru. A true teacher is a free soul, and would very much like to see that all his disciples stand on their own feet, realize their divine nature, and solve their individual problems, developing a cosmic outlook. If the disciples continue to cling to the Guru's personality and look up to him for help and guidance at every step, he feels the drag, and regrets his inability to make them attain that spiritual strength and freedom which he himself enjoys. He will rather have one free soul as his disciple than a multitude of them following him blindly.
It is for this reason that the wise spiritual teacher deprecates the idea of blind personal service which is very common in India.Most of the disciples forget that the following of the ideal and the living of the life is much more important than attending on the Guru in person.
We should so train ourselves that instead of depending too much on the outside teacher, we depend more and more on the Indwelling Guru, and reach a state of spiritual consciousness which we must be able to maintain, whether the Guru is alive in this world or has passed on, as Bhagavan Sri Ramakrishna said, 'from this room to that room', meaning from the physical plane of consciousness to a subtler one.
This danger of falling into the rut of the Guru Cult we can avoid only by meditation in the aforesaid way on the basis of the Formless Infinite Spirit who is also Infinite Kncwledge, Infinite Love and Infinite Bliss. Again when we return to the plane of personality, we should stress more the spirit, and not the form. In order to avoid self-deception, it is good to meditate on the Infinite Spirit, merging all forms into It, and try to be established in the Supreme Consciousness through repeated practice. This helps not only the student, but also the teacher towards the realisation of perfect
freedom and peace.

concluded.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: August 22, 2016, 11:06:46 PM »
"It is Satchidananda that comes to us in the form of the guru. If a man is initiated by a human guru, he will not achieve anything if he regards his guru as a mere man. The guru should be regarded as the direct manifestation of God. Only then can the disciple have faith in the mantra given by the guru. Once a man has faith he, achieves all."

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: August 22, 2016, 11:17:26 PM »
Friends,
Quite often we encounter statements like 'This Forum is Dedicated to so and so' and only such a such a teaching should be discussed,etc,etc....It is true that a disciple should firmly put into practice a particular approach to start with...and even this need not be so...he may usefully employ a variety of approaches as well...but if he does that with any degree of intensity and earnestness,he or she would realize that fundamentally every teaching is the same...they all serve to make the seeker realize his true nature as one with God or the Self....and the Guru who leads the way is only this Infinite spirit,the satchidananda.
Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: August 24, 2016, 07:46:00 AM »

Guru Gita in verse 129, speaks as to how the Guru goes
about his job of conferring the Self Knowledge to the
disciple.

"Karuna khadga-patena chhitva pasashatkam sisoh
Samyogananda janakah sadgurusso'bhidhiyate."

He who by the sword of his compassion cuts the eight-fold
fetters of the disciple and [thus] gives birth to spontaneous
bliss in him, is called the Guru.

The eight-fold fetters are said to be: hatred, shame, caste
[social class], [commitment to] good culture i.e. asrama,
[protecting one's] reputation i.e. maryadha, pride and egoism,
[ahankara].  All these are snapped by Guru, to make to
realize what you are. 

Once Muruganar brought a big jackfruit.  It was to give
it to ashramites because that day was his mother's annual
ceremony day.  Bhagavan said:  "O, you have not left this
still.  So, you have to perform sraddha.  Where are brahmins?
I am one Brahmin, [Bhagavan telling about Him!], Ramanatha
Brahmachari and Viswanathan are there.  We shall find the
fourth one!"  Muruganar shed tears and prostrated before
Bhagavan!  Bhagavan, nevertheless allowed him to distribute
the jackfruit pieces to everyone on that day, lest it should
go waste!

Manikkavachagar sings:  "You have come to stay in my Heart.
But the Heart is oozing nectar of Grace."  He says in Tiru
Ponnoosal, the Decade of Holy Swing, a song that describes
the swing-game of girls.

Nanjamar kandathan, andatthavar nathan.... (Tiruvachakam,
Tiru Ponnoosal, Verse 4)

He is having a blue neck [due to halahala], he is the Lord of the gods,
he lives in Uttarakosa Mangai, where the clouds touch the tall walls of
the city, embedded with pearls and rubies.  He stays in my Heart, with
the mother of graceful words; he lives in the Hearts of all his devotees,
oozing the nectar of grace; he vanquishes our birth.  Let us sing his glories,
O girls with bangles made of corals and conch-shells, let us play the game of golden swing! 

(Source: Guru Gita - Eng. Trans. Divine Life Society, and an article in Mountain Path, April June 2009)

Arunachala Siva. 

Orihh

• View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: August 28, 2016, 06:10:38 AM »
I've recently been lacking in concentration when meditating on my guru's name and form.  No matter how much effort I put in to trying to keep my focus on her name and form, my mind always wanders off after a few moments without me noticing...

What I've found to be most helpful is to, with your mind, examine each individual aspect of the meditational object; in my case, it is my guru's face.  I bring my attention to the details of her hair, her forehead, her eyebrows, her eyes, her nose, her cheeks, her ears, etc., until I've established a clear vision of her face in my mind.  Then, I can easily concentrate.  Doing this multiple times helps to establish her image, and sometimes even falling into bhava samadhi is useful.  When meditation is properly practiced, I lose track of time and no longer worry about when I can finally stand up.
Om Namo Saradamma

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: August 28, 2016, 07:26:55 AM »

We have seen Sankara's Siva Manasa Puja and from then on
about various devotees who did Pujas of a different kind.
We shall see Pooslar Nayanar today.  Poosalar was a poor
brahmin, who was living in a town called Tiru Nindravoor.
This town comes in the Madras - Arkonam broad-gauge line.
He suddenly desired to build a temple for Siva.  He was
poor and so he went to several rich landlords for money,
but without success.  Then he decided to build a temple
for Siva in his mind!

On an auspicious day, he started.  He visualized that he
was getting stones and boulders, Chunam and other materials.
He made the four walls first, then the inner portals.  He then
built a Balipeetam and Dwaaja sthambam.  Then the inner
shrine.  He installed a nice Siva Linga.  Over the building,
he constructed a nice tower, with 9 golden cones called
kumbhas.  Then only prana-pradishta and kumbhabhishekam
remained.  He then prayed to Siva to come and bless the
inauguration of the temple!  Siva agreed and a date and
a muhurtam, a good time, were fixed!

In the meantime one Varman, who was ruling in Kanchipuram, which is
near Tiru Nindravoor, had really constructed a big temple for Siva in Kanchipuram. 
He then asked Siva to come and bless the occasion of opening the temple.  Siva
came and told him in the dream, that the date contemplated by the king would not
suit, since He had to go to Tiru Nindravoor to bless Poosalar's temple!  The king was
surprised.  Is there any other temple for Siva coming up nearby?  He then rode in his
horse and went to Tiru Nindravoor.  He asked the townsmen where was the temple.
No one could answer. He then went on Siva meditation, stood before him and prostrated.
Then he told him that he had come as per Siva's information to him in the dream and he
would like to visit Poosalar's temple first.  The poor brahmin was horripilated.  He shed
profuse tears and told the king:  O King, shame on me.  I have only built a temple in my
mind and Siva had agreed to come.  There is no temple outside.  I am sorry
for the inconvenience.  The king also stood dumbfounded.  He then once again
prostrated to Poosalar and said:  Your temple is greater than mine.  It is your own work. 
Every stone and wood have been procured by you singlehandedly and temple completed.
Where am I?  I am using all my money power to construct a temple, without any effort
on my own part. Both hugged each other.  Siva then appeared before them with His consort
and said:  "I appreciate both your efforts.  But Poosalar's effort stands higher.  I shall visit
the king's temple and then take Poosalar to my Abode.  "Varman, you do service to me
and then come to me in due course."

Poosalar did manasa puja like this.  He went one step more than Sankara in
building a temple itself to Siva in his mind.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: August 29, 2016, 12:45:51 PM »
Today is the Liberation day of Cheruthunai Nayanar.  He attained Siva's Feet on the Pushya
star day in the month of Sravana.

I have given the detailed life story of Nayanar in my serial post on 63 Saiva Saints.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: August 29, 2016, 01:33:02 PM »
In the meantime one Varman, who was ruling in Kanchipuram, which is
near Tiru Nindravoor, had really constructed a big temple for Siva in Kanchipuram. 

Subramaniam Sir

Thanks for the nice write up of Poosala Nayanar and it is a very inspiring account that talks about the greatness of sincere Manasa Puja .
BTW is the temple built by the King Varman still in Kanchipuram and if so what is the name of that temple ?
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: August 29, 2016, 03:42:07 PM »
Dear atmavichar.

I have no idea.  Let me see some book and write to you.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: August 30, 2016, 09:59:32 AM »