Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 284589 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #2025 on: August 06, 2016, 05:23:40 AM »
Daily Routine of Sri Bhagavan continued......

By nine o'clock, Mouni would bring the day's post.

Bhagavan would have a look at the letters for about one hour and thereafter till eleven o'clock it was the same routine. By eleven Bhagavan would rise for lunch and till about two o'clock in the afternoon visitors did not disturb him. During this interval Bhagavan would glance through the newspapers or take some rest.

Thereafter, the hall would get filled up as usual. This was the time when philanthropists and poets would talk, bhaktas would sing and scholars would begin philosophic discussions. This was also the time when Bhagavan would be absolutely silent. When asked how this was possible he would say, "If you pay attention only to the base note and not to the other notes can the mind become engrossed in the raga?" He also would say, "If you pay attention to the Self other objects will not attract you."

Thereafter, he would attend to correspondence.

Mouni would keep the replies for letters received ready

and show them to him. Bhagavan would go through them and make corrections wherever deemed necessary.

At about 4.30 p.m. Bhagavan would go out for a walk on Arunachala.

By 5.30 p.m. meditation would commence. It was a moment eagerly looked forward to by disciples. Peace would reign all around. As darkness fell and enveloped Arunachala it would appear as if life itself was being enveloped by ignorance. A little later students of the Vedic school would arrive and recite Rudram, Purusha-sooktam, Srisooktam and Upadesa-saram. Those sonorous notes would touch the foot of the hill. After a silent half an hour, recitation of various writings of Bhagavan would commence. By then the pooja at Matrubhuteswara shrine would be over. Thereafter women would have supper and go out of the Ashram into the town for the night.

After the night meal by about 8.30 p.m., disciples would gather round Bhagavan. It was a time when everyone was relaxed in Bhagavan's presence. After some time, everyone would depart after pranams to Bhagavan. The doors of the hall would then be closed. This was the usual daily routine.
Bhagavan used to go around the Ashram while all inmates were asleep. Perhaps the father wished to protect his children while they were all asleep also!

Even today,the Asramam follows a definitive routine....and devotees are free to participate or choose not to....the environment breathes an atmosphere of total freedom....and yet with all this,there is a wonderful discipline that prevails!....This is the power of the sannidhi of Sri Bhagavan....that birds,animals and humans are equally at home.

The Point is that there is a daily routine that has spontaneously evolved ....and people do not even realize that this sort of a thing is there and available for them to take back and let some of it to govern their daily lives.....So,it is not as if Sri Bhagavan only advocated 'self-enquiry' and did not encourage any other form of worship....Nothing can be far from Truth....He simply let every devotee to take what suited him and evolve in a natural way....This is the beauty of Sri Bhagavan's life that in living the loftiest teaching of the Veda/vedanta(we may see all the characteristics of a Rishi ashrama here as in days of yore!),the devotees have been given the required upasanas(ancillary aids) also without any sort of an imposition so to say.

The Giri Pradakshina is a physical,vital ,mental and spiritual combo that is available to all those who visit Tiruvannamalai...even elsewhere in the world,there are seekers who when they go for a walk ,do so with the attitude that they are going round the Holy arunachala...and what can be better than that.

Namaskar

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: August 06, 2016, 10:16:37 PM »
Friends,

Here is an excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
MUSICIAN: "It is God alone who is both the 'instrument' and the 'cause'. Duryodhana said to Krishna: 'O Lord, Thou art seated in my heart. I act as Thou makest me act.'"

MASTER (with a smile): "Yes, that is true. It is God alone who acts through us. He is the Doer, undoubtedly, and man is His instrument. But it is also true that an action cannot fail to produce its result. Your stomach will certainly burn if you eat hot chilli. It is God who has ordained that chilli will burn your stomach. If you commit a sin, you must bear its fruit. But one who has attained perfection, realized God, cannot commit sin. An expert singer cannot sing a false note. A man with a trained voice sings the notes correctly: sa, re, ga, ma, pa, dha, ni."

The Jnani has no sense of 'I' and 'mine'.There is no sense of 'doership' in him.Although others see him in action and as the 'doer' of actions,he does not attribute those actions to himself.....He will say that everything happens as per divine will or as per prarabda....There is no three fold distinction of sanchita,prarabda and agami karma for him...he just says 'Prarabda' to refer to those actions seemingly performed by him.

The jiva caught up in ignorance has the sense of 'I' and 'mine'....and the sense of doership....it is futile for him to say that all is prarabda or divine will and keep idle(Idling is the worst of activities!)....or get into a defeatist mentality saying that 'Prarabda' has to take its course.He has to Exercise the will in the form of 'Self Effort' as God has given him the sense to introspect and to distinguish what actions have what consequences....and then act intelligently.

Namaskar

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: August 08, 2016, 12:58:35 PM »
Today is Perumizhalai Kurumba Nayanar Liberation Day.

Ashada Chitrai star day.

I have given the detailed life story of this Nayanar in the serial post. Please refer to that.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: August 09, 2016, 11:47:50 AM »
உன்னை தெவையில்லை  என்று முடிவு கட்டியவர்களுக்கு நி எதை செய்தாலும் தவராகவெ தெரியும்

Dear friends, Please see the picture attached. These days we are getting many quotes translated. I wonder if this quote is genuine. Can somebody please verify the same? If you are familiar with this?

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: August 09, 2016, 11:55:36 AM »
Sorry Nagaraj . Never heard of such a quote from Bhagavan . When I post a quote of Bhagavan ( either in Pic or Text form ) I see to it that it has a valid reference that can be cross verified .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: August 09, 2016, 12:19:18 PM »
Yes Atmavichar. I felt a little suspicion about this tamil translation. Either its imisinterpreted or mis understood or somebody may have written this of their own. I felt.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: August 09, 2016, 07:39:05 PM »
Atmavichar/Nagaraj,
I received this dubious message from someone and straight way asked him to not take any of the messages from 'Facebook' or 'Whatsapp' for granted...better to go to the original authentic sources.
This particular message is a Farce that no spiritual minded person would endorse.....least of all Sri Bhagavan.
Namaskar

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: August 09, 2016, 07:46:28 PM »
 :D

So true Sri Ravi, can't fathom, how could somebody do such things! But we are going to get more and more by the day! This has quite caught up with Kanchi Mahaswami. It is so unfortunate that the Kanchi Maha Periva's legacy is so diluted now by such messages across the digital medium.

That message made Bhagavan a perfect typical worldly person :D

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: August 09, 2016, 08:06:07 PM »
Nagaraj,
Yes,this is the reason that I am reticent in even paraphrasing and prefer to quote ....otherwise it would end up like the story attributed to Einstein....his narration of the story about the milk given to the Baby and a Blind man.
Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: August 10, 2016, 12:34:37 PM »
Today is the liberation day of Sundaramurti Nayanar and Kazhar Tirivar Nayanar. 

Ashada Swathi star day.

I have given the detailed life story of these two Nayanmars already under the serial post.  Members
are requested to go through the same.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: August 12, 2016, 07:24:17 AM »

The need for chanting God's name is that it will always
be with us, become part of our thought, so that at death
he can chant that name and attain liberation.  Unless
one constantly practices the chanting during his healthy
years, it may be difficult.  Nammazhwar is noted for
such splendid songs.  One fellow had three sons.  They
and his wife were standing near the death bed.  The
wife says: Please say Narayana.  The old hag says: Please
wait.  He calls the first son to go and collect the dues from
a neigbour!  The wife says: Narayana.  That chap says:
Wait.  He calls the second son to go and pick up the rice
bags from the godown since it might rain!  The wife pursues
"Please say Narayana."  He calls the third son for some other
job.  Yama said:  "I gave you three chances.  You did not
listen.  Now let me do my job."  The old fellow died!

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: August 14, 2016, 06:39:59 PM »
Today is Kaliya Nayanar and Kotpuli Nayanar - guru puja.

that is 13th August. 

Ashada Kettai (Jyeshta) star day.

I have given the detailed history of these two Nayanmars already in my serial post.

Arunachala Siva.   
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 06:41:50 PM by Subramanian.R »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: August 15, 2016, 01:13:23 AM »
Beloved Abstract,

Your post in Sri Bhagavan Ramana's teachings:
atmavichar , yes ..... we look ahead and see choices , we look behind and see there were none
huhuhuhuh

When we look behind ,Choices were always there but not exercised....Default option was also an option EXERCISED but not necessarily the best....and this is what proves that life is not a machinery but one of infinite possibilities...ha,ha.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: August 15, 2016, 01:22:09 AM »
Beloved Abstract/Friends,
Man is no position to predict the trajectory of a housefly but believes his own life is predetermined...ha,ha...Belief!

Sadhak

• View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: August 15, 2016, 11:26:22 AM »
Beloved Ravi,

Man is not able to control the path of a virus but thinks he controls his own destiny. Ha ha ha.  Belief.

Playing devils advocate.