Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 285060 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #2010 on: August 04, 2016, 01:18:21 PM »
Yes Sri Ravi

The one published by RK Mutt ( Sri Anna's ) is a very good one for anytime reference ( in fact all books by Sri Anna are very good for study and reference ) .There is also one Published by Sringeri Mutt with Jagadguru Sri Sri Abhinava Vidya Teertah's explanations on Sandhya Vandanam . That is also a good one .

The following Old Book on Sandhya Vandanam published in 1898 is also available for free download as PDF
The Sandhyavandanam of Rig, Yagus and Sama Vedins by B.V. Kamesvara Iyer
Published in 1898
https://archive.org/details/sandhyavandanam00aiyagoog
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 01:51:39 PM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: August 04, 2016, 08:54:21 PM »
Atmavichar,
Thanks for the link to the book by Sri Kamesvara Iyer...I find that he has written it well and in right earnest.
The Thing is that I have a hunch....that this is essentially Vedic and the language of the mantras is symbolic....and this is where the interpreters(modern)/Expounders are limited....in my view so far,the science of the vedic mantras is not sufficiently understood...it is given an intellectual explanation that it is all meant for 'chitta shuddhi'(this word is taken as 'purification of chitta' and there the matter ends!)...the thing does not live and breathe!......In short ,the language of the veda is seen through the language of the vedanta....and this is not satisfactory and is the problem.

Sri Aurobindo has explored the Vedic Hymns ....the reason that he did is interesting...during the unfolding  of his yogic experiences,he had certain experiences which could not be explained or referred to by anything in the upanishads....it was then that he was lead into exploring the vedic texts ....and couched in the cryptic language of the vedic hymns he could relate what was unfolding in his yogic practice....Based on this key,he has written the magnificient 'Secret of the Veda'....and especially 'Hymns to the Mystic Fire' (Agni sutras).....here he gives the key to unlock the secret code of the vedic texts.It was Primarily this Knowledge of his that drew a person like Sri Kapali Sastri to go over to Sri Aurobindo Ashram....Even Mahakavi Bharati studied the agni sutras with Sri aurobindo.

As the Ancient Vedic Hymns are expressions of an ancient period where 'seeing images'(and words describing that seeing) was used for comprehension and understanding instead of 'Thinking' that we employ with our intellect through reason and inference.....The later form of expression (i.e, intellectual thinking) emerged in the later upanishadic period ,although the earlier symbolism also continues to have its place;both form of expression are there in the upanishads....and while the intellectual expression is better grasped as it is more akin to our mode of thinking,the symbolism part is not grasped; and is viewed as some 'mixture' and is not studied to the same degree.

Sri Aurobindo then developed his terminology for his integral yoga as 'parts and planes of Being'....and this is a restatement of the early Vedic structure with its gods like Varuna,Mitra and surya,etc.(All these became demigods in the puranas!).

Now my hunch is that the way Sandhya is structured ,it seems to me to be an inward journey....it begins with the annamaya kosha(rather the consciousness associated with it....which is Gross consciousness and this is called 'sin' when it is coarse and heavy....this needs to be 'lightened' and made subtle) and proceeds to likewise lighten the pranamaya kosha(The Vital as Sri Aurobindo calls it) and moves onto the Manomaya kosha(Marjanam).....The apaha or the waters mean that the manomaya kosha is made 'receptive' to the fount of inspiration....then the argya is to stimulate the vijnanamaya kosha(the Sun is a symbol for this) and tune it so that it can become ready for 'BhargO dEvasya Dhimahi'....so that the Meditation on the Gayatri mantra....or Brahman can be done(as a Preparatory thing we say 'AsavadiyO Brahma,Brahmaivahamasi'...

At each stage,there ought to be definitive elevation and widening of consciousness and these are the 'Mitra' and 'Varuna' aspects.

These are my 'hunch' and I would like to see it validated through the 'Direct experience' of someone who has the science of mantra as part of his living experience....So far,I have found none.This is what I term as "living and Breathing' it.
There are many who describe the 'meaning' but living the mantra of the sandhya vandanam is another thing altogether.

Infact,Sri Aurobindo wrote the Savitri as Mantric verses and in English and it is said that approached as such,it has the power to directly elevate and widen the consciousness.
Arunagiri nathar's compositions is deemed to  have this quality....that of the 'Chandas'.

Thanks for your other references.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: August 04, 2016, 09:25:16 PM »
Friends,
I totally appreciate all the views expressed by Nagaraj and his commitment to the vedic culture and sanskriti...the only difference (and it is truly not much) where I have expressed a different (seemingly!)point of view is here.....that this thing can no longer be done by insisting on mere 'conformity' as was done in yesteryears....the eco system that prevailed then was entirely different than what is prevalent now...I have already posted how the Modern day 'Monks' (Sannyasa order) are different than those of the olden days and function also differently(as Swami Krishnananda had beautifully explained)....So,if the Sannyasins who had a much stricter code of conduct and rules governing them were able to transform themselves and adapt to the present conditions,a similiar adjustment should be possible for the laymen(Brahmacharis and Householders)....and this is what all the present day masters have advised........although the conservative school of thought still maintains the same slogan of 'conformity' to the ancient mode;some have relaxed it and said ,if not all do atleast sandhya vandanam......but then the gurukula system and ambience is no longer available and sandhya practice lacks the 'Eco system support' of a flowing stream or atleast a well,an open space(to see the Sun!)....How can one draw something of that ambiance with just 'tap water' and four walls of an apartment?....So these are the Eco system related drawbacks that do not support a True Living performance of the Sandhya.

All the Great ones have seen through all this.We can readily see this from Sri Ramakrishna's advice here from the Gospel(I have already shared earlier other recommendations of the master);
Need of holy company& Meditation in solitude
M. (humbly):"Yes, sir. How, sir, may we fix our minds on God?"
MASTER: "Repeat God's name and sing His glories, and keep holy company; and now and then visit God's devotees and holy men. The mind cannot dwell on God if it is immersed day and night in worldliness, in worldly duties and responsibilities; it is most necessary to go into solitude now and then and think of God. To fix the mind on God is very difficult, in the beginning, unless one practises meditation in solitude. When a tree is young it should be fenced all around; otherwise it maybe destroyed by cattle.
"To meditate, you should withdraw within yourself or retire to a secluded corner or to the forest. And you should always discriminate between the Real and the unreal. God alone is real, the Eternal Substance; all else is unreal, that is, impermanent. By discriminating thus, one should shake off impermanent objects from the mind."

This is the prescription for people immersed in worldly responsibilities.

All the same if someone can live the spirit of Sandhya in its glorious aspect .....such a one commands our reverence and deep appreciation.Godspeed to him and may he inspire others as well.

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: August 05, 2016, 10:19:51 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Thanks for the wonderful posts, they are indeed very inspiring. I am caught up with lot of works, hence i am actually unable to spend sufficient time on this topic.

I more or less have no differences excepting a few points as you have also observed. All I wish is that our Samskaram is carried forward. Yes it can be taken that I am more or less talking about our community alone, for its only we that are obliged with certain duties, so the onus rests on us to carry forward this for posterity.

All that i wish for is that young boys of 7 - 8, 9 are initiated with the Upakarama, that they wake up early and have bath, look at the Sun, do japa, utter prayers, offer arghyam, and how wonderful it would be if they are able to chant a sukta or two! Nobody need become a pandit! But they have to be taught Sanskrit. Be able to perform the vrata pujas during the whole lot of festivals when the Dakshinayana comes. We should not discourage them by saying all that is unnecessary quoting various teachings of various Saints by saying the spirit of Manasu Shuddhama irunda podum

etc... I am sure you know my heart's call!

Coming to Sandhya worship, the the Purva and Uttara Bhaga of Gayatri Japam takes a mere couple of minutes, it is really not that much of trouble for one to do it, it is more of less just purificatory procedure, like bathing inwardly.

I am aware of the spirit of Sri Ramakrishna, Sri Ramana. Even Ramana's teachings are quite the same, they appear to do away with all these! Even you were part of this discussion some time back when there was a serious discussion when there was a question about the necessity of performance of other religious obligations!

There was also a mention about the efficacy of Sadhya worship, that these days it is performed mechanically! It is ok, i strongly feel. One need not do it with great Bhava or Jnanically always, the very objective of Nithya Karma is that it becomes one with our nature of living, like brishing our teeth in the morning, the body is acclimatized to that activity!

No need to worry that it is being performed mechanically. That it is performed, it will show its result some time or soon! The thing is we do not need to know the mechanics always. It has to be done, thats all!

Those that are inquisitive I agree, they need some guidance, and its our responsibility we have to make sure that their hunger for the significance is met with. There are so many books and knowledgeable persons every corner, if even they are unable to answer then we have the Swamijis everywhere, even if they are not answerable, we have Maha Swamijis.

Where there is a will there is a way.

The Structure need not change to meet the changing environment, the samskaras cannot change, yes the way it needs to be communicated and explained can be presented in a more reasonable manner.

so sorry, i have just written spontaneously, unable to spend qualitative time at the moment to delve and write my thoughts.

Thanks so much,.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 11:42:13 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: August 05, 2016, 11:52:09 AM »
Nagaraj,
Yes indeed....I totally appreciate this perspective as well.It is indeed a good discipline to induct young ones at a tender age .
The 'Manasu sudhham'( pure attitude) cannot come out of the blue....it has to be through good habits cultivated at an young age and it is not just sandhya alone but all round development that has to be aimed at,including the Physical,emotional ,intellectual and spiritual aspects.

In fact even before the upanayana age(Age 7) a lot can be done by way of introducing the children to the moral/spiritual aspects.Even during the pregnancy,the expecting mothers can do a lot towards the development as well.(The Seemantham ceremony is meant for it....but then that alone will not do!)....Not just this,even before conception ,a lot can be done! Master TGN always used to emphasize on these aspects (and all this without any 'Sastra' Reference)

There is of course no need to become a pandit but the whole thing should not become a 'routine' affair to be gone past and forgotten....For Shraddha to develop,the required understanding also needs to be given....and above all for the initiation of the Gayatri mantra,the Father has to have that tapas....otherwise it is just like the story that Sri Bhagavan narrated regarding the minister and the king who wanted to be initiated!

It is not a question of finding time...for young children at that age,this should never be a problem,although the Madhyannikam(noon time sandhya) would still be a challenge.
Just to mention here that I had gone through this in my childhood days(being invested with the sacred thread when i was 7) ....and had been  a stickler for it as well.

The Structure need not change to meet the changing environment, the samskaras cannot change, yes the way it needs to be communicated and explained can be presented in a more reasonable manner.

All samskaras are there to mould an attitude of learning,self discipline and good habits....and these can be inculcated in a freer fashion....I have already indicated these in  earlier posts....The Essence is that as long as children are introduced to the cultural/spiritual treasures at an impressionable age,they will find their feet and develop themselves....The 40 Samskaras provide a framework and superstructure can definitely be built up differently.....In fact this is how even within the Brahmin community,the Yajur vedis practice in one way and the others do it in a different way....and if we take into account the Vaishnavas,the Madhvas,each of them do it in different ways.....there are as many variations as there are sub-sects....so that is the way it has all along been.

As Sri Aurobindo has said in his Four Aids chapter:
One often even hears the objection urged against a new practice, a new Yogic teaching, the adoption of a new formula, "It is not according to the Shastra." But neither in fact nor in the actual practice of the Yogins is there really any such entire rigidity of an iron door shut against new truth, fresh revelation, widened experience. The written or traditional teaching expresses the knowledge and experiences of many centuries systematised, organised, made attainable to the beginner. Its importance and utility are therefore immense. But a great freedom of variation and development is always practicable.

The 'Structure' is not something that has to be fixed and can be adapted for the present times.

Namaskar
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 12:07:43 PM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: August 05, 2016, 09:22:47 PM »
Friends,
Here is an inspirational composition of Mahakavi Bharati wonderfully picturised in the old movie 'kappalOttiya Tamizhan'....what sort of a rich foundation that mahakavi proposes for the children....it is wonderfully sung by seergaazhi Govindarajan.....and superbly acted by Sivaji Ganesan...It has all the recipes for a child to grow into a responsible adult.....and who ever loved Bharat more than mahakavi?

Here is that wonderful song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fPff1_R7mA

Warmly recommend the other songs in that movie.....Velli Panimalayin Meedhulavuvom - Kappallotiya Tamizhan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlAV8Gy8rsc

Also this mahakavi song  Sindhu Nadhiyin Isai (Kai Kodutha Deivam)  :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKLzxSGhVyw

TGN used to refer to this song....He used to say that this song has that 'Inspiration' ....that even after so many years when one passes by some small tea shop where the Radio is playing this,one stops listens to this and departs after drinking a cup of tea!....The idea being that the shop has to be paid for that!

Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: August 05, 2016, 09:37:21 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi

Would like to know whether Sri Ramakrishna Mutt has published "Sandhya Vandanam Bhashya " by Sri Anna in English .I have the Tamil version and that was bought many years ago and would like to know whether the English version is also available .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: August 05, 2016, 10:06:42 PM »
Atmavichar,
I happened to see only the tamizh original version of the Bhashyam by Sri Anna....Doubt whether at all there is an english translation available....I am out of chennai for a few months...you may like to call and check....044-24621110
Namaskar

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: August 05, 2016, 10:12:34 PM »
OK Ravi .No Probs .I will check with them when I visit there next time .

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: August 05, 2016, 10:32:06 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

its always very refreshing to listen to Bharatiyar. Beautiful.

Dear Atmavichar, English version of Anna's Sandhyavandanam is not available.

There is one good English book on Sandhyavandanam by Sheshadri Iyer. I personally found it good. It is a matter of fact small booklet. It provides word to word meaning and a brief description.

http://www.bhavans.info/store/bookdetail.asp?bid=271&bauth=P+Seshadri

http://www.hindubooks.org/sandhyavandanam/the_author/index.htm

There are many internet sources provided by many volunteers, i think you must be aware of them.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: August 05, 2016, 10:33:55 PM »
Friends,
Swami Vivekananda spoke about religion, rituals, caste and the education of the masses in an interview he gave The Hindu on February 6, 1897, during a train journey from Chingleput to Madras:

What made you go to America, Swamiji?

Rather a serious question to answer in brief. I can only answer it partly now. Because I travelled all over India, I wanted to go over to other countries. I went to America by the Far East.

What did you see in Japan, and is there any chance of India following in the progressive steps of Japan?

None whatever, until all the three hundred millions of India combine together as a whole nation. The world has never seen such a patriotic and artistic race as the Japanese, and one special feature about them is this, that while in Europe and elsewhere Art generally goes with dirt. Japanese Art is Art plus absolute cleanliness. I would wish that everyone of our young men could visit Japan once at least in his lifetime.

Is it your wish that India should become like Japan?

Decidedly not, India should continue to be what she is. How could India ever become like Japan, or any nation for the matter of that? In each nation, as in music, there is a main note, a central theme, upon which all others turn. Each nation has a theme: everything else is secondary. India's theme is religion, Social reform and everything else are secondary.

Therefore, India cannot be like Japan. It is said that when 'the heart breaks,' then the flow of thought comes. India's heart must break and the flow of spirituality will come out. India is India. We are not like the Japanese, we are Hindus. India?s very atmosphere is soothing. I have been working incessantly here, and amidst this work I am getting rest. It is only from spiritual work that we can get rest in India. If your work is material here, you die of diabetes.

What is your idea about the results of the Parliament of Religions?

The Parliament of Religions, as it seems to me, was intended for a 'heathen show' before the world, but it turned out that the heathens had the upper hand, and made it a Christian show all around. So the Parliament of Religions was a failure from the Christian standpoint, seeing that the Roman Catholics, who were the organizers of that Parliament, are, when there is a talk of another Parliament at Paris now steadily opposing it. But the Chicago Parliament was a tremendous success for India and Indian thought. It helped on the tide of Vedanta, which is flooding the world. The American people ? of course, minus the fanatical priests and churchwomen ? are very glad of the results of the Parliament.

continued....
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:35:45 PM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: August 05, 2016, 10:40:42 PM »
Swami Vivekananda interview continued....

What prospects have you, Swamiji, for the spread of your mission in England?

There is every prospect. Before many years elapse, a vast majority of the English people will be Vedantins. There is a greater prospect of this in England than there is in America. You see, Americans make a fanfaronade of everything, which is not the case with Englishmen. Even Christians cannot understand their New Testament, without understanding the Vedanta. The Vedanta is the rationale of all religions. Without the Vedanta every religion is superstition, with it everything becomes religion.

What are your views with regard to the Indian masses?

Oh, we are awfully poor, and our masses are very ignorant about secular things. Our masses are very good because poverty here is not a crime. Our masses are not violent. Many times I was near being mobbed in America and England, only on account of my dress. But I never heard of such a thing in India as a man being mobbed because of peculiar dress. In every other respect, our masses are much more civilised than the European masses.

What will you propose for the improvement of our masses?

We have to give them secular education. We have to follow the plan laid down by our ancestors, that is, to bring all the ideals slowly down among the masses. Raise them slowly up, raise them to equality. Impart even secular knowledge through religion.

But do you think, Swamiji, it is a task that can be easily accomplished?

It will, of course, have gradually to be worked out. But if there are enough self-sacrificing young fellows, who, I hope, will work with me, it can be done tomorrow. It all depends upon the zeal and the self-sacrifice brought to the task.

But if the present degraded condition is due to their past Karma, Swamiji, how do you propose to help them?

Karma is the eternal assertion of human freedom. If we can bring ourselves down by our Karma, surely it is in our power to raise ourselves by it. The masses, besides, have not brought themselves down altogether by their own Karma. So we should give them better environments to work in. I do not propose any levelling of castes. Caste is a very good thing. Caste is the plan we want to follow. What caste really is, not one in a million understands. There is no country in the world without caste. In India, from caste we reach to the point where there is no caste. Caste is based throughout on that principle. The plan in India is to make everybody Brahmana, the Brahmana being the ideal of humanity. If you read the history of India you will find that attempts have always been made to raise the lower classes. Many are the classes that have been raised. Many more will follow till the whole will become Brahmana. That is the plan. We have only to raise them without bringing down anybody. And this has mostly to be done by the Brahmanas themselves...

continued....

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: August 05, 2016, 10:47:19 PM »
Swami Vivekananda interview continued....

What are your views, Swamiji, in regard to the relation of caste to rituals?

Caste is continually changing, rituals are continually changing ? so are forms. It is the substance, the principle, that does not change. It is in the Vedas that we have to study our religion. With the exception of the Vedas, every book must change. The authority of the Vedas is for all time to come; the authority of every one of our other books is for the time being.

For instance, one Smriti is powerful for one age, another for another age. Great prophets are always coming and pointing the way to work. Some prophets worked for the lower classes, others like Madhava gave to women the right to study the Vedas. Caste should not go, but should only be readjusted occasionally. Within the old structure is to be found life enough for the building of two hundred thousand new ones. It is sheer nonsense to desire the abolition of caste. The new method is evolution of the old.

Instead of frittering away our energies on ideal reforms, which will never become practical, we had better go to the root of the evil and make a legislative body, that is to say, educate our people, so that they may be able to solve their own problems. Until that is done, all these ideal reforms will remain ideals only.

Do you think Hindu society can successfully adopt European social laws?

No, not wholly. I would say, the combination of the Greek mind represented by the external European energy added to the Hindu spirituality would be an ideal society for India. For instance, it is absolutely necessary for you. Instead of frittering away your energy and often talking of ideal nonsense, to learn from the Englishman the idea of prompt obedience to leaders, the absence of jealousy, the indomitable perseverance and undying faith in himself.

What relation, Swamiji, does ritual bear to religion?

Rituals are the kindergarten of religion. They are absolutely necessary for the world as it is now; only we shall have to give people newer and fresh rituals. A party of thinkers must undertake to do this. Old rituals must be rejected and new ones substituted.

Then you advocate the abolition of rituals, don't you?

No, my watchword is construction, not destruction. Out of the existing rituals, new ones will have to be evolved. There is infinite power of development in everything: that is my belief. One atom has the power of the whole universe at its back. All along, in the history of the Hindu race, there never was any attempt at destruction, only construction. One sect wanted to destroy, and they were thrown out of India; they were the Buddhists. We had a host of reformers - Shankara, Ramanuja, Madhava and Chaitanya. They were great reformers, who always were constructive, and built according to the circumstances of their time. This is our peculiar method of work. All the modern reformers take to European destructive reformation, which will never do good to anyone and never did...

... The progress of the Hindu race has been towards the realisation of the Vedantic ideals. All history of Indian life is the struggle for the realisation of the ideal of the Vedanta through good or bad fortune. Whenever there was any reforming sect or religion which rejected the Vedantic ideal, it was smashed into nothing.

concluded.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 10:52:21 PM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: August 06, 2016, 04:56:01 AM »
Friends,
In the context of our discussion on routines and rituals,we may take a look at Sri Bhagavan's daily Routine as depicted in 'Sri Ramana Leela' by Krishna Bhikshu:

39. DAILY ROUTINE
A devotee once asked Bhagavan, "Swami, do you sleep?"

Bhagavan: Am I awake now? Devotee:

Yes, otherwise how can anyone speak?

Bhagavan: If one is awake it means he wakes up from sleep, isn't it?

Another doubt expressed was how could one who had transcended the three states experience deep sleep. The reply was, "It is the body that sleeps and wakes up. The I is always there as a witness."

Venkateswara Sarma once asked, "Bhagavan performs so many acts but says that he is doing nothing. How is this possible?"

Bhagavan: Even if told, can you understand? Think it over.

Bhagavan later continued, "Any action of one whose ahamkara has disappeared, is not because of his will. The action is perceived only by others."

In trying to understand the daily routine of Bhagavan the above observations have to be kept in mind. The purpose of this chapter is merely to describe what went on in the Presence, nothing else.(we may also see how things fall in place in the presence of a jnani like Sri Bhagavan....It automatically provides the right environment to seekers....This is the power of the sannidhi or presence-Ravi)

continued.....

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: August 06, 2016, 05:00:02 AM »
Daily Routine of Sri Bhagavan continued......

In the early days, when the Ashram was small, there was no activity in the Ashram in which Bhagavan did not

participate. During those days, Bhagavan would wake up around 2.30 or 3 in the early hours of the day and after ablutions would go to the kitchen to cut the vegetables as did his disciples. He would also prepare the breakfast and the side-dish to go with iddlis. Bhagavan always emphasized the dignity of labour and would also teach the art of cooking to disciples. He held that one not well-versed in cooking could not claim to be educated either!

Around 5 A.M. the doors of the hall would be opened and several devotees, about to leave for the various teerthas for bath or for giri pradakshina would walk in and prostrate before Bhagavan. Vedic scholars would recite from the Upanishads.

Some others would sit for meditation. Yet others would recite Muruganar's hymns. During Dhanurmasa (December-January) Andal's `Tiruppavai' would be sung. At about 5.30, students of the Vedic school would come and recite Sri Ramana Chatvarimsat and Taittiriya Upanishad . By that time, lady devotees who had spent the preceding night in the town (as their stay at the Ashram during night was forbidden) would arrive.

By 6.30, Bhagavan would go for his bath and later go to the dining hall, where he would be served breakfast. Thereafter, Bhagavan would go towards the hill and ashramites would go about attending to their duties. These duties were varied, like collecting flowers from the garden and stringing them into garlands or bringing various items from the storeroom and getting them ready for cooking, or getting down to cooking or attending to the cattle in the goshala. Some went to work in the Ashram office or the library. For those in the Vedic schools the duty was to offer worship three times a day at the Matrubhuteswara shrine, and at the images of Skanda, Ganesa or at Bhagavan's picture. On special occasions, special poojas were also offered..
By about 8 o' clock, Bhagavan would return to the sofa. Thereafter, devotees, visitors and disciples would assemble there. Usually silent meditation would be carried on. But those who looked upon Bhagavan as God would not keep silent and they would either recite the stotras written by them, or just show him their poems. They would also sing songs. Yet others would narrate their domestic problems to him!

continued....