Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 284891 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #1950 on: July 30, 2016, 10:57:14 PM »
The Story of The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna continued.....

Swami Ritajananda once wrote: "The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna begins like a novel with a little bit of description of the surroundings in picturesque language, so that the reader can visualize everything around the Master: the large property of the Dakshineswar temple with its gardens, tanks, temples, etc. If anyone desires to make a film, he will find all the directions necessary in the masterly descriptions one reads in the Gospel. The place and times, the people present, the positions they took in the room where they met, the songs, and finally every movement of Sri Ramakrishna - these are all presented so vividly that it becomes a special attraction. We have no such presentation of anyone else's life.
"In the Gospel we find plenty of information about Sri Ramakrishna and how he lived in the world. With him there was plenty of laughter, and it was really fortunate for so many to be near him and feel that the world is really a mansion of mirth in spite of their many painful experiences. Sri Ramakrishna also talked of suffering, the suffering of others and even his own. His health was not perfect and he eventually got cancer of the throat which entailed extreme physical pain. Many who were dear to him left this world, and those who lived with him were not always kind and respectful. Yet he was above all these things.
The Divine Mother was constantly near Her beloved son, answering his questions. M. ignored nothing that took place in the small room of Sri Ramakrishna. He tells us how Sri Ramakrishna ate, how he spoke, how he imitated people and amused the youngsters. Never trying to idolize Sri Ramakrishna, never judging his actions or his words, M. presents a picture of his Master in the most natural way possible. This makes us understand that a highly evolved spiritual person can also be a human being".
The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna is an authentic record of Ramakrishna's life and teachings, profound and yet very simple and appealing. Moreover, Ramakrishna's language and the expressions he used are fascinating. Many people learn Bengali so that they can read this wonderful piece of literature in its original form and get a taste of how Ramakrishna actually spoke. When we read the Gospel, its vivid descriptions help us visualize Sri Ramakrishna as he moved through his environment. We see the places he saw and the people he came in contact with. This vivid and artistic depiction of an avatar's life is unique. As we read the Gospel, we enjoy the holy company of the Master.
In the Gospel, festivities are always going on, with Ramakrishna at their centre. We enjoy the theatre, music, singing, dancing, humour, worship, meditation, and samadhi. Reading the Gospel drives away loneliness and boredom. The Gospel presents to us the divine drama of Ramakrishna with various characters representing all types of people: intellectuals, devotees, hypocrites, drunkards, householders, monks, actors, actresses, musicians, and so on.
"
M.'s chronicle of Sri Ramakrishna's life is fascinating, in part because he himself played a vital role. Sometimes he was a silent witness to the divine drama of Ramakrishna; other times, an active participant in the play. In addition, M.'s love for the Master was extraordinary. His I-consciousness was saturated with Ramakrishna-consciousness. If this were not so, he never could have produced The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna, which is unique among the world's religious literature."

continued....
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 02:08:15 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: July 30, 2016, 11:17:50 PM »

Faithfully and vividly, M. chronicled the Master's samadhi and meditation, his prayer and worship, his dreams and visions, actions and devotion, purity and renunciation, singing and dancing, humour and mimicry, spiritual disciplines and pilgrimage, behaviour and psychology, religion and philosophy, and his social and scientific outlook. But most important, M. preserved Sri Ramakrishna's conversations with God, as well as his discussions with the people who came to him, his love and empathy for others, and his fervent concern for his devotees.
 M. writes in the Gospel: "The Master was weeping and praying to the Mother. In a voice choked with emotion, he prayed to Her with tearful eyes for the welfare of the devotees: 'Mother, may those who come to You have all their desires fulfilled. But please don't make them give up everything at once, Mother. Well, You may do whatever You like in the end. If You keep them in the world, Mother, then please reveal Yourself to them now and then. Otherwise, how will they live? How will they be encouraged if they don't see You once in a while?' "

The Invocation of The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna
 According to Indian tradition, the author of a scripture is supposed to introduce the text with an invocation consisting of an auspicious verse or a salutation mantra. Following that custom, M. placed the following verse on the title page of each of the five volumes of his original Bengali Kathamrita:
Tava kathamritam tapta jivanam kavibhir-iditam kalmasapaham;
  Shravana-mangalam shrimad-atatam bhuvi grnanti ye bhurida janah.                                                     Srimad Bhagavata 10:31:9

"O Lord, your nectar-like words relieve the burning misery of afflicted souls. Your words, which poets have sung in verses, destroy the sins of worldly people forever. Blessed are they who hear of your vast glory. Blessed indeed are those who speak of you. How unparalleled is their bounty!"
The invocation above quoted is taken from the Gopi-Gita of the Bhagavata. Krishna promised to meet the gopis, the milkmaids of Vrindaban, on a full moon night in autumn. That night, the gopis came to meet Krishna on the bank of the Yamuna River, and he played affectionately with them. But he sensed that they had become proud and egotistic due to this rare privilege, so he suddenly disappeared from them. Grief-stricken, the gopis wept and prayed to him to return. The above verse is from that prayer.
The Bengali title of The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna is Sri Sri Ramakrishna Kathamrita, which means "Sri Ramakrishna's immortal (or nectar-like) words."  It does not matter if we drink a drop, a glass, a jar, or a barrel of nectar. We will be immortal. It is not a matter of quantity, but of the substance itself. If we could actually absorb the Gospel, all our worldly desires would quickly dissipate[/i].people came to Ramakrishna with their questions and problems. Some came out of curiosity. Scholars came, and so did scientists, doctors, lawyers, teachers, professors and students. Spiritual leaders and social reformers visited him, as did actors, actresses, dramatists, singers, and dancers. Hypocrites, drunkards, ruffians, and villains also came. The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna is the first hand account of the conversations that these various characters had with Sri Ramakrishna. Each person can find his or her own personality reflected in a character in the Gospel. Sitting on his wooden cot in the temple garden of Dakshineswar,Sri  Ramakrishna offered solutions to the problems of those who came to him because his own life was free from problems. Only a person whose life is free from troubles can solve another's problems. Sri Ramakrishna also boosted the spirits of his visitors. As he himself said: "One man makes a fire and others enjoy the heat. I have cooked food for you; you need only come and eat it."

continued.....
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 02:13:11 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1952 on: July 31, 2016, 02:27:21 AM »

Sri Ramakrishna's Teachings in the Gospel
The qualifications for studying Vedanta are extremely difficult to meet. A student of Vedanta should practice discrimination, renunciation, and control of the senses; and he or she should have a burning desire for liberation. But if you want to read The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna, no qualifications are necessary; no commentator is necessary; no teacher is necessary.It is simple. Simplicity was Ramakrishna's style, so his sentences are seldom complicated. Simplicity is holiness.
Sri Ramakrishna's stories and parables are very positive, instructive, and uplifting. He was always inspiring. His parable of the woodcutter is typical: A holy man told a poor woodcutter, "Go forward." The woodcutter took his advice, advanced further into the forest, and found a sandalwood forest. He sold the  sandalwood and became very rich. Then one day he thought to himself: "That holy man told me to go forward. He did not ask me to be satisfied." So he went even further into the forest and found a copper mine. Going further still, he found a silver mine, and then a gold mine. Finally, he found a diamond mine with which he became exceedingly wealthy. Sri Ramakrishna said that there was no end to spiritual bliss, spiritual illumination.

His teachings are also practical: "To meditate, you should withdraw within yourself or retire to a secluded corner or to the forest."
 "Sir, I cannot go to the forest."
 "All right. Meditate in the corner of a room."
 "Sir, my house is full of people. I cannot get a corner of a room."
 "Meditate in the inner chamber of your heart."
 There are many alternatives. If you cannot do anything at all, surrender to the Lord and He will do everything for you.
"Give me the power of attorney," said Sri Ramakrishna. He gave the example of a mother cat carrying her kitten wherever she wants. The kitten completely surrenders itself.

Sri Ramakrishna had a householder disciple, an ishwarakoti (godlike soul), whose name was Purna Chandra Ghosh. Long after Sri Ramakrishna passed away, there was trouble in Purna's family and he wanted to commit suicide. He decided to bathe first, and then pay his respects to his guru before killing himself. He took a bath, then went to the shrine and bowed down to the Master. But then he thought: "Let me read a little bit of the Kathamrita. Taking the beautiful message of the Master, I shall depart from this world." He opened the book at random and his eyes fell on this sentence: "Purna is a young devotee. The Master was thinking of his welfare." "What?" cried Purna. "The Master is thinking of me and I shall commit suicide? Impossible! He is thinking of my welfare and I am contemplating killing myself. It cannot be." He gave up the idea and thus his life was saved. Such is the power of the words of The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna!

continued....

« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 02:29:34 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: July 31, 2016, 02:38:21 AM »

A Blessing from Holy Mother
 Holy Mother had a great appreciation for The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna. On 2nd April 1905 Holy Mother, Golap-ma, and Nikunja Devi (M.'s wife) were listening to the Gospel being read. When the reading was over, Holy Mother commented: "It is not a small thing to remember the Master's words and ideas, and then write them. I wholeheartedly bless M.: Let his books spread everywhere and let all people know him."
Another day when someone was reading the Gospel, Holy Mother was listening with deep absorption. Golap-ma, Nikunja Devi, and some other women were seated there. After some time Holy Mother exclaimed: "How wonderful! How Master Mahashay kept these teachings in his mind! Did he go to the Master with paper and pencil?"
Nikunja Devi: "No, Mother. He would write these things from his memory."
Holy Mother: "What a powerful brain he has! He wrote all these things from memory."
Golap-ma: "Naren also had a powerful mind."
Holy Mother: "He had a different kind of power - for lecturing, writing books, and so on. M. has another kind of power. (Addressing Nikunja Devi) My daughter, give your husband more milk (which is supposed to increase mental power). May he attain more power. Ah, what a great service he is giving to the world!"
The reading continued: "The Master said to Mani: 'You are all my relatives.' "
Holy Mother commented: "Of course, everyone is in his inner circle."
Another section was read: "Keshab was coughing."
To this, the crazy aunt (Radhu's mother) said, "Why did M. write such a thing?" Holy Mother replied with a smile: "What
do you know? It has a purpose."
The reader was reading a passage about the Master's ecstasy: "M. was thinking: Is the Master describing his own state?"
Holy Mother commented: "Yes, M.'s thinking was correct." After a while Holy Mother said to Nikunja Devi: "My daughter, tell your husband that I am blessing him wholeheartedly."

concluded.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 02:39:55 AM by Ravi.N »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: July 31, 2016, 09:55:11 AM »
A Devotee: "It also might have fallen into the hands of the sweeper of the car."
M.: "Yes, it could have been, or someone could have taken it and thrown it away on the street. But as soon as I got the diary back, I forgot all those possibilities. What irony! And we live with this mind, which plays tricks on us all the time. So we should always pray: May we not deviate from our goal. May we not forget God when something has been accomplished."

The Mind will always play its monkey tricks and there is a Joke I read in a story book about the same .
Once a person had a severe stomach ache and he prayed to Mother Kali "Relive me of this stromach pain and I will give you 5 Buffaloes for sacifice " , then when the stomach ache was slowly getting relived he felt he was too quick in promising the 5 Buffaloes and revised his offer to Mother Kali saying " Mother Kali I will give you 5 goats for sacrifice " and after few hours when the stomach upset completely got over , he felt that it got over naturally and that Mother Kali did not have a role in his pain getting relived and sarcastically told " Mother Kali I feel you need some exercise why dont you yourself catch hold of 5 sparrows and eat it " and the moment he finished saying that , the stomach pain again got very intesive and he realised his mistake and pleaded forgivenss to mother Kali and told he will keep up the Original Promise itself .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: July 31, 2016, 12:52:03 PM »
Today is the liberation day of Kootruva Nayanar. 

Ashada - Tiruvadhirai star day.

I have given his full history in  my serial posts on 63 Saiva Saints.  Please look into that for your
reference.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: July 31, 2016, 05:13:00 PM »

Auditor Guurmoorthy has given an excellent interview to Thanthi TV on what Hinduism is and the reason behind the Swami Vivekananda's Rath Yathra and the Hinduism Fair that is being Organized now in Chennai .Plus also discussed other things​.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy-zPqUDNm8
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: July 31, 2016, 09:13:38 PM »
a fascinating story on how Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna came about Sri Ravi but I am still yet to read the posts in full!

How blessed was M. truly! By the grace of Guru, he made himself available to be consumed by the flame that was Sri Ramakrishna! What an exemplary example of a Bhakta was he!

All that matters is how we spend our time while we are here alone matters. M. lived each and every moment of his lifetime in the smarana of his Guru and even though he was inspired by Mother and others to go ahead with his writings, he did this truly for himself, none other! When such purity resides then what you do to yourself, reaches to the whole humanity for he has seen the core of himself which is core of one and all!

Even if we could take the words of M. as it is, I wonder how much would he have truly wished to convey about Master but for words!

You have mentioned about the glory of M's Gospel more than a couple of times, and yes how true! As only a Jnani can know Jnani and only a Jnani can write about himself, so did M, only the Master could have truly written the Gospel!

Thanks for all these posts about Sri Ramakrishna here in this forum, had it not been for you, so much about Sri Ramakrishna would not have been known!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1958 on: August 01, 2016, 03:02:25 AM »
Nagaraj/Friends,

'M' is indeed a role model for all seekers and his guru bhakti is unparalleled....He was totally transparent in presenting the teachings of Sri Ramakrishna AS IT IS....without interpreting it in any way.M is a sanskrit scholar and knew the upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita .....but none of this is traceable in the Gospel!Not a hint of it!.....Just the master's words and doings......This is absolutely outstanding and takes one's breath away.

I also warmly recommend the sequence to The Gospel....a series of 10 or 12 volumes of M's conversations with devotees....and it is always about the words of the master!....I refer to 'M,The Apostle and Evangelist' by Sri Jagabandhu(Swami Nityatmananda) which is an English translation of the original work.
'M' trained Jagabandhu in maintaining a diary as he himself did.Swami Nityatamananda later on wrote these conversations just as 'M' himself did!

These are available from this site: http://www.kathamrita.org/m-the-apostle-and-the-evangelist
The English translation is just okay but then the contents are invaluable and certainly there cannot be a better satsangha than these books.

Coming to The Holy Mother's Blessings towards bringing out the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna,there are two important points to be noted:
1.The Holy Mother is none other than Sri Ramakrishna himself in another form...and this is how not just 'M' or Swami Vivekananda ....but all the direct disciples of Sri Ramakrishna knew her and viewed her....so,none of them ventured on anything without her blessings.It was with her Blessing that Swami Vivekananda set forth to the U.S....She Blessed him saying 'May Saraswati reside on your tongue'....and Swamiji directly realized this when he was called upon to speak at the parliament of Religions.

2.'M' kept the diary purely for his own sake....He never had any inclination to make it public.....He first read the contents of the first few entries to Holy mother and only after she gave her blessings and 'Go ahead' was he prepared to share it with the public at large....All this is ofcourse the way Sri Guru maharaj had willed!

In The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna we have the following conversation between Girish Ghosh and 'M'...This was on April 23,1886  when the master was still alive and down with throat cancer:

Girish and M.
It was about dusk. Girish and M. were strolling near the small reservoir in the garden.
GIRISH:"Iunderstand that youare writing something about the Master. Is it true?"
 M: "Who told you that?"
 GIRISH:"I have heard about it. Will you give it to me?"
 M: "No, I won't part with it unless I feel it is right to do so. I am writing it for myself, not for others."
 GIRISH:"What do you mean?"
 M: "You may get it when I die."

This was the mind set of 'M'.....and when The Holy Mother encouraged 'M',it helped to bring this treasure to the world at large.....Not just in this,in other matters as well 'M' simply accepted Holy Mother's words as coming directly from Sri Ramakrishna.

A classic case was the Sevashrama in Haridwar.....when Swamis Brahmananda and others considered that the Sevashrama was carrying out service activities in accordance with the teachings of Sri Ramakrishna,'M' maintained that such activities were not in accordance with the Master's teachings!(Ofcourse 'M' was right from his point of view;Even Swami Adbhutananda had a similiar view point)....When Holy Mother visited that place she said that she was delighted to see 'Thakur's ' work carried out in that ashrama....'M' was present along with Swamis Brahmananda and others ,and immediately they pounced on him and asked him 'Now,what have you to say'?.....'M' simply submitted saying 'What more to say after the supreme court verdict?'!....Such was his devotion to the Holy Mother .....The Holy Mother stayed at M's place in Calcutta and the puja room is still maintained beautifully there.

Again coming back to 'M'.....truly a bhakta and a jnani rolled in one.....so when 'M' talks about the vagaries of mind ,it has a different dimension altogether.....it cannot be compared with that of the vagaries of the mind of a worldly man.....Nagaraj has got it so perfectly!

In approaching the teachings of the Great ones,it is always better to go directly to the original source and not have 'Interpreters' in between(irrespective of whether they are 'Great' devotees or not!).....This is what 'M' offers and this is what makes the Gospel a unique book with just no parallel.

I shall just give an example to illustrate how 'interpretations' fall short of the beauty in the original in my next post.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: August 01, 2016, 11:20:44 AM »
Atmavichar,
The Auditor Gurumoorthy interview is a fine one....the responses to some of the most provocative and probing questions are to the point and it clears all the cobwebs ....something that most people would do well to understand what is meant by Hinduism as  'a way of life' and how it not just 'another religion'...I am posting this link in news,articles thread so as to be accessible to all those interested.....the conversation is in Tamizh,although.
Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: August 01, 2016, 12:59:52 PM »
Yes Sri Ravi . Thanks for posting the same in the Other thread and I have also written there . Though I do not belong to the Right Wing Section to which Sri Gurumoorthy belongs to but there is lot of merit in what Sri Gurumorrthy has conveyed and in the name of Secularism many things are being distorted and abused just because it is said by a Saffron Robed Monk and just  because it accepts the reality of the caste system ( for eg Bhagavad Gita, Purusha Sooktam  is abused because of just one sholka it has on the 4 fold divisions of society ) and now Swami Vievkananda is being opposed just because he is a saffron robed monk . But I have seen these Athesits who are opposing this Rath Yatra now selectively using many quotes of Swami Vivekananda where he has hit out at the Hindus and the Caste System in their own literature .
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:04:50 PM by atmavichar100 »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: August 01, 2016, 02:14:31 PM »
When time calls, it is quite fine to side nicely towards the right side! Its time we stood erect and with our chin held high! Never trust the Left and never ever the center  :D

isn't this what Krishna do to restore Dharma?

यदा यदा हि धर्मस्य ग्लानिर्भवति भारत।
अभ्युत्थानमधर्मस्य तदाऽऽत्मानं सृजाम्यहम्।।4.7।।

O scion of the Bharata dynasty, whenever there is a decline in Dharma and increase of adharma,  then do I manifest Myself.

India as a whole, moreover Tamil Nadu is starved for last 100 or so years with the legacy of periyar's venom and his successors. A good chunk of blame goes definitely to the British who have played spoilt sport! They have broken our spines!

Wish and pray that our country regains its much deserved glory, pride. Looks difficult though!

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 02:18:03 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: August 01, 2016, 02:33:10 PM »
When time calls, it is quite fine to side nicely towards the right side! Its time we stood erect and with our chin held high! Never trust the Left and never ever the center  :D

Nagaraj

It does not matter whether you are Right , Left , Centre as long as you understand the essential spirit of this nation and interpret things keepthing this spirit instead of devising our own modren ways of intrepreting them and abusing the religion   . What is the spirit of this nation ?
Sri Aurobindo has given the same in his Uttarpara speech in 1919 ( nrealy 100 years back )

I spoke once before with this force in me and I said then that this movement is not a political movement and that nationalism is not politics but a religion, a creed, a faith. I say it again today, but I put it in another way. I say no longer that nationalism is a creed, a religion, a faith; I say that it is the Sanatan Dharma which for us is nationalism. This Hindu nation was born with the Sanatan Dharma, with it it moves and with it it grows. When the Sanatan Dharma declines, then the nation declines, and if the Sanatan Dharma were capable of perishing, with the Sanatan Dharma it would perish. The Sanatan Dharma, that is nationalism. This is the message that I have to speak to you.

(The Uttarpara Speech by Shri Aurobindo Ghosh (Chandernagore, 1919) p. 1 f.)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: August 01, 2016, 02:43:58 PM »
I understand Atmavichar, but unfortunately, this is more or less, these days attributed to 'Right' thinking only!

Who cares, Atmavichar? There is only chaos! It truly pains to see the plight of our Motherland, I wonder what great sin did our country do to go through the current times! We have enough faced the torments of the powerful. I am not ignoring the loopholes within ourselves.

The very word Sanatan is Right wing, what to talk about Dharma? Dharma is very much Hindu! You cant force Sanatan Dharma to others!

You know, Kalki Avatar today is each one of us! Not even Krishna would have been really successful today!

i am just talking from heart!

Should learn a bit of lesson from Mother Earth who is patiently waiting. "Prateeksha"

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: August 01, 2016, 02:51:17 PM »
Atmavichar and Friends,

Forget all the Sanatana Dharma, there is a lot of cry over Gau Rakshaks and all!

There are such gory informations about the Cows that gave me so much sleepless nights! Forget even the Beef brigades.

Do you know that the milk that we drink? is as good as eating the very beef itself! What torture they endure! They treat the cows like machines! Worst of all they do Artificial insemination. I dont even want to get into details.

You know, We are the only species that drink milk of another animal other than ourselves!

Some details about Cow tortures, in the name of selling meet, i do not even have courage to write here!

Just venting out my anger! Lets pray and hope some sanity come and relieves our country!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta