Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 379648 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #1890 on: May 24, 2016, 11:51:48 AM »
Today is the Liberation Day of Tiru Jnana Samandhar. He got married to a girl in Tiru Nallur.
After the wedding,  he wanted with his wife to go to the Siva Temple for prayer. The cooks, the drummers,
the pipers and the Siva devotees who had come to the wedding, Tiru Neela Kanta Yazhpanar, Tiru Neela
Nakka Naayanar and Muruga Nayanar followed suit.  They entered the temple and after prayer, all
merged as Light with Siva.

It happened on Vaikasi Moolam Day.

The temple is thereafter called Tiru Nallur Perumanam.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: May 25, 2016, 11:03:37 PM »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: May 29, 2016, 07:56:29 AM »

There are some verses extolling the guru-bhakti and surrender.
I am giving only English translations.

Verse 178:-  Having drunk to the full Brahmarasa and satisfied
in the Paramatman, the Sages of realization consider Indra
as a mere straw and then what to speak of ordinary kings of the
world?

Verse 179:-  The seekers after libration should at all times develop
Guru bhakti, because by following the path shown by the Guru,
one attains the Supreme auspiciousness and the state of Kaivalya.

Verse 180:-  'I am one and one alone without a second'  --
whoever thus practices constant meditation as a result of the
advice of the Guru with a firm determination, need not take recourse
to the forest for hard penances.

Verse 189:-  O Devi!  this is the advice in the path of Guru-marga
which is capable of bestowing mukti.  Therefore, Guru bhakti
should be practiced by all with great devotion and faith.

Verse 192:-  One may be engaged in Siva Puja or deeply immersed in Vishnu Puja,
but if he is without a knowledge of the Guru tattva, all his learning is a mere waste.

Verse 193:-  If worship of Siva is done without knowing the real
nature of Guru, that worship is for the mere name's sake.  My
dear Parvati, it is like a lamp drawn on a paper [which will not
light the house].

Verse 194:-  By the glory and efficacy of Guru-diksha, all your
actions bear fruit.  By the attainment of a Guru, one attains
everything.  One without a Guru is a mere fool.

Verse 195:-  Since on does not understand the nature of Siva
and one's own Self by himself, one without a Guru can be said
to be a mere animal, worm or a firefly.

Verse 196:-  Therefore discarding all kinds of contacts with
people, by all possible means, giving up all comforts of the
scriptures, one should depend on the Guru only.

The Guru Gita thus shows what it means to surrender to a Higher Power. It puts in perspective Bhagavan Ramana's words: "Surrender appears easy because people imagine that, once they say with their lips 'I surrender'....., they can be free and do what they like.  But the fact is that you can have no likes and dislikes after you surrender and that your will should become completely non-existent."  [Devaraja Mudaliar, Day by Day, entry dated 2nd Jan 1946).

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: June 03, 2016, 01:33:10 PM »
Today is the liberation day of Kazharchinga Nayanar.    The story of Kazharchinga Nayanar has already
been given by me when I covered the stories of 63 Saiva Saints. The forum members may kindly look
for that.

Day of liberation -  Vaikasi month, Bharani star day.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: June 08, 2016, 02:26:46 PM »
Today is the liberation day of Nami Nandi Adigal.  I have given the full history of Nami Nandi Adigal
in my serial post on 63 Saiva Devotees. Please see that for full information about Nami Nani Adigal.
The star on the day of liberation was Vaikasi -Puram nakshatra.

Today is also the liberation day Sekkizhar, the author of Periya Puranam and also Nambi Andar Nambi,
who was one of the pioneers for giving the 63 Nayanamars stories.

Arunachala Siva. 

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 02:30:47 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: June 10, 2016, 01:40:18 PM »
Today is the liberation day of Somachi Mara Nayanar.  He attained the feet of the Lord by doing
Soma Yagam, (with Sama Veda) for a number of days, with ardent bhakti towards Siva.
In course of time, he attained mukti by attaining the feet of the Lord Siva.

I have given the detailed account of Somachi Mara Nayanar in my posts on 63 Saiva Saints. 
The Forum members are requested to go through the same.

Day of Liberation; Valkasi Ayilyam star day.

Arunachala Siva.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 01:41:57 PM by Subramanian.R »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: June 19, 2016, 11:29:09 PM »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: June 20, 2016, 02:07:51 PM »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: June 21, 2016, 08:36:51 PM »
Later in the afternoon several Marwari devotees entered the Master's room, where Rakhal and M. also were seated.
A MARWARI DEVOTEE: "Sir, what is the way?"
Two ways of God-realization
MASTER: "There are two ways. One is the path of discrimination, the other is that of love.Discrimination means to know the distinction between the Real and the unreal. God alone is the real and permanent Substance; all else is illusory and impermanent. The magician alone is real; his magic is illusory. This is discrimination.
"Discrimination and renunciation. Discrimination means to know the distinction between the Real and the unreal. Renunciation means to have dispassion for the things of the world.
One cannot acquire them all of a sudden. They must be practised every day. One should renounce 'woman and gold' mentally at first. Then, by the will of God, one can renounce it both mentally and outwardly. It is impossible to ask the people of Calcutta to renounce all for the sake of God. One has to tell them to renounce mentally.
Constant practice urged
"Through the discipline of constant practice one is able to give up attachment to 'woman and gold'. That is what the Gita says. By practice one acquires uncommon power of mind.
Then one doesn't find it difficult to subdue the sense-organs and to bring anger, lust, and the like under control. Such a man behaves like a tortoise, which, once it has tucked in its limbs, never puts them out. You cannot make the tortoise put its limbs out again, though
you chop it to pieces with an axe."
MARWARI DEVOTEE: "Revered sir, you just mentioned two paths. What is the other path?"
MASTER: "The path of bhakti, or zealous love of God. Weep for God in solitude, with a restless soul, and ask Him to reveal Himself to you. Cry to your Mother Syama with a real cry, O mind! And how can She hold Herself from you? "
MARWARI DEVOTEE: "Sir, what is the meaning of the worship of the Personal God? And what is the meaning of God without form or attribute?"
MASTER: "As you recall your father by his photograph, so likewise the worship of the image reveals in a flash the nature of Reality.
"Do you know what God with form is like? Like bubbles rising on an expanse of water, various divine forms are seen to rise out of the Great akasa of Consciousness. The Incarnation of God is one of these forms. The Primal Energy sports, as it were, through the activities of a Divine Incarnation.
"What is there in mere scholarship? God can be attained by crying to Him with a longing heart. There is no need to know many things
"He who is an acharya has to know different things. One needs a sword and shield to kill others; but to kill oneself, a needle or a nail-knife suffices.
"One ultimately discovers God by trying to know who this 'I' is. Is this 'I' the flesh, the bones, the blood, or the marrow? Is it the mind or the buddhi? Analysing thus, you realize at last that you are none of these. This is called the process of 'Neti, neti', 'Not this, not this'.
One can neither comprehend nor touch the Atman. It is without qualities or attributes.
"But, according to the path of devotion, God has attributes. To a devotee Krishna is Spirit, His Abode is Spirit, and everything about Him is Spirit."
The Marwari devotees saluted the Master and took their leave.
At the approach of evening Sri Ramakrishna went out to look at the sacred river. The lamp was lighted in his room. The Master chanted the hallowed name of the Divine Mother and meditated on Her. Then the evening worship began in the various temples. The sound of gongs, floating on the air, mingled with the murmuring voice of the river. Peace and blessedness reigned everywhere.

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: June 22, 2016, 06:42:52 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

Not I, but Thou only Thou alone - is the greatest Vivekam or wisdom! What does one do when this Vivekam shines within like the Sun? Lord is our only Ashraya, He alone is our only shelter! The attitude of the aspirant becomes only that of worshiping That Supreme Lord.

uttiṣṭhata jāgrata prāpya varān nibodhata:
kṣurasya dhārā niśitā duratyayā; durgam pathas tat kavayo vadanti. (14)

My dear children, do not think it is easy! Do not sleep and try to get this Atman. ?Stand up, be awake, be conscious; obtain wisdom properly by being initiated from a competent Guru ? understand this. Sharp it is, and cutting, as the edge of a razor, and hard to cross.? ?Sharp? and ?cutting? are the two epithets of the sword. The edge of a sword is cutting, so sharp is it. Such is the sharpness of this yoga ? so subtle that you cannot even see it. The path of the Spirit is invisible. You cannot open your eyes and see it. It is like the track of the birds in the air, or the fish in water: they are there but cannot be seen. This path of supreme wisdom is subtle in the sense that it is a balance of everything. The Spirit is balance. And no one in this world can maintain a balance. We either fall this way or that. We go to either extreme but never are in the middle. ?Balance is yoga?samatvam yoga uchyate.?

(Swami Krishnananda, Katha Upanishad)

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: June 22, 2016, 07:10:20 AM »
nagaraj,
Yes.Here is an excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

When the mind is freed from 'woman and gold', it can be directed to God and become absorbed in Him. It is the bound alone who can be freed.
The moment the mind 'turns away from God, it is bound. When does the lower needle of a pair of scales move away from the upper one? When one pan is pressed down by a weight.'Woman and gold' is the weight.
"Why does a child cry on coming out of its mother's womb? With its cry it says, as it were:'Just see where I am now! In my mother's womb I was meditating on the Lotus Feet of God;but see where I am now!'
(To Mahima) "You should renounce mentally. Live the life of a house holder in a spirit of detachment."
MAHIMA: "Can a man live in the world if his mind is once directed to God?"
See God in the world
MASTER: "Why not? Where will he go away from the world? I realize that wherever I live I am always in the Ayodhya of Rama. This whole world is Rama's Ayodhya. After receiving instruction from His teacher, Rama said that He would renounce the world. Dasaratha sent the sage Vasishtha to Rama to dissuade Him. Vasishtha found Him filled with intense renunciation. He said to Rama: 'First of all, reason with me, Rama; then You may leave the world. May I ask You if this world is outside, God? If that is so, then You may give it up.' Rama found that it is God alone who has become the universe and all its living beings. Everything in the world appears real on account of God's reality behind it.Thereupon Rama became silent.
"In the world a man must fight against passions like lust and anger, against many desires,against attachment. It is convenient to fight from inside a fort-from his own home. At home he gets his food and other help from his wife. In the Kaliyuga the life of a man depends entirely on food. It is better to get food at one place than to knock at seven doors for it.Living at home is like facing the battle from a fort.
"Live in the world like a cast-off leaf in a gale. Such a leaf is sometimes blown inside a house and sometimes to a rubbish heap. The leaf goes wherever the wind blows-sometimes to a good place and sometimes to a bad. Now God has put you in the world. That is good. Stay here. Again, when He lifts you from here and puts you in a better place, that will be time enough to think about what to do then.
"God has put you in the world. What can you do about it? Resign everything to Him.Surrender yourself at His feet. Then there will be no more confusion. Then you will realize that it is God who does everything. All depends on 'the will of Rama'."

continued.......

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: June 22, 2016, 07:14:47 AM »
The Excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna continued....

Story of "the will of Rama"
A DEVOTEE: "What is that story about 'the will of Rama'?"
MASTER: "In a certain village there lived a weaver. He was a very pious,soul. Everyone trusted him and loved him. He used to sell his goods in the market-place. When a customer asked him the price of a piece of cloth, the weaver would say: 'By the will of Rama the price of the yarn is one rupee and the labour four annas ; by the will of Rama the profit is two annas . The price of the cloth, by the will of Rama, is one rupee and six annas .' Such was the people's faith in the weaver that the customer would at once pay the price and take the cloth. The weaver was a real devotee of God. After finishing his supper in the evening, he would spend long hours' in the worship hall meditating on God and chanting His name and glories. Now, late one night the weaver couldn't get to sleep. He was sitting in the worship hall, smoking now and then, when a band of robbers happened to pass that way.They wanted a man to carry their goods and said to the weaver, 'Come with us.' So saying, they led him off by the hand. After committing a robbery in a house, they put a load of things on the weaver's head, commanding him to carry them. Suddenly the police arrived
and the robbers ran away. But the weaver, with his load, was arrested. He was kept in the lock-up for the night. Next day he was brought before the magistrate for trial. The villagers learnt what had happened and came to court. They said to the magistrate, 'Your Honour, this man could never commit a robbery.' Thereupon the magistrate asked the weaver to make his statement.
'The weaver said: 'Your Honour, by the will of Rama I finished my meal at night. Then by the will of Rama I was sitting in the worship hall. It was quite late at night by the will of Rama. By the will of Rama I had been thinking of God and chanting His name and glories,when by the will of Rama a band of robbers passed that way. By the will of Rama they dragged me with them; by the will of Rama they committed a robbery in a house; and by
the will of Rama they put a load on my head. Just then, by the will of Rama the police arrived, and by the will of Rama I was arrested. Then by the will of Rama the police kept me in the lock-up for the night, and this morning by the will of Rama I have been brought before Your Honour.' The magistrate realized that the weaver was a pious man and ordered his release. On his way home the weaver said to his friends, 'By the will of Rama I have been released.'
"Whether a man should be a householder or a monk depends on the will of Rama. Surrender everything to God and do your duties in the world. What else can you do? A clerk was once sent to prison. After the prison term was over he was released. Now, what do you think he did? Cut capers or do his old clerical work?
"If the householder becomes a jivanmukta, then he can easily live in the world if he likes. A man who has attained Knowledge does not differentiate between 'this place' and 'that place'.All places are the same to him. He who thinks of 'that place' also thinks of 'this place'.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: June 22, 2016, 07:26:35 AM »
Nagaraj,
As regards sharpness,it is more to say that the path is subtle and can be grasped only by a subtle mind shorn of all gross clingings.What is 'difficult' for the gross mind is 'easy' and natural for the subtle mind which is nothing but the mind purged of dross.
Sri Ramakrishna puts it like this:
Washing away the heart's impurities with tears
NEIGHTBOUR: "Sir, is it ever possible to realize God while leading the life of a householder?"
MASTER: "Certainly. But as I said just now, one must live in holy company and pray unceasingly. One should weep for God. When the impurities of the mind are thus washed away, one realizes God. The mind is like a needle covered with mud, and God is like a magnet. The needle cannot be united with the magnet unless it is free from mud. Tears wash away the mud, which is nothing but lust, anger, greed, and other evil tendencies, and the inclination to worldly enjoyments as well. As soon as the mud is washed away, the magnet attracts the needle, that is to say, man realizes God. Only the pure in heart see God".

Namaskar

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: June 22, 2016, 07:46:14 AM »
As regards sharpness,it is more to say that the path is subtle and can be grasped only by a subtle mind shorn of all gross clingings.What is 'difficult' for the gross mind is 'easy' and natural for the subtle mind which is nothing but the mind purged of dross.

So true, yes it is not the difficulty and true sharpness is a simple soul, a simple uncomplicated mind, a layman, a child at heart. Such a soul is only able to grasp (or abide in) the every shining grace of the Supreme Lord or Truth.

We see so many simple souls derived ultimate bliss by the very first darshan with the Guru, for the others, the Guru just slowly clears away the dross in his own unique manner!

Satsangatve Nissangatvam
Nissangatve Nirmohatvam
Nirmohatve Nischalatattvam
Nischalatattve Jeevanmuktih

Sat sangatve - through the company of the good, Nissangatvam - (there arises) non-attachment,
Nissangatve - through non-attachment, Nirmohatvam - (there arises) freedom from delusion,
Nirmohatve - through the freedom from delusion, Nischala - Immutable, Tattvam - Reality,
Nischalatattve - through the Immutable Reality, Jeevanmuktih - (comes) the state of 'liberated-in-life'.

The message of the Guru is clear, to be in Sat-Sang at all times, it may seem to foster some ego at the beginning, but slowly the very Satsang itself would cause the complete destruction of the dross.

How does one weep for God? only when one is rendered helpless and has no other recourse but God alone, one becomes closer and closer to God and all the malaas get washed away by the very being in presence of the Gu-Ru.

Thanks Sri Ravi
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: June 28, 2016, 02:39:40 PM »
Today is the liberation day of Eyarkon Kalikkama Nayanar.

The detailed life story of this Nayanar has been given in my serial post of 63 Saiva Saints. Please
look at that for the life story of the Nayanar.

The day of his liberation is  Aani month, Revathi star day.

Arunachala Siva.