Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 366523 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #1875 on: May 04, 2016, 01:00:29 PM »
Dear Atmavichar,

Sri Bhagavan attained Maha Nirvana on the krishna paksha trayodasi day.  This year both trayodasi and
and prodhasham day have fallen on the same day.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: May 05, 2016, 08:28:58 AM »
Thanks Subramaniam Sir

So Bhagavn's Ardahana Day can be summed up ( in Traditional Indian Calender ) as  " Chitira Month , Krishna Paksham , Tryodashi Tithi "
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: May 06, 2016, 12:30:53 PM »
Today is Siruthonda Nayanar liberation day.

Date of liberation: Chitrai - Bharani.

He is the one who gave cooked human meat by cutting his
only son, and served the old brahmin who came for food and who wanted such food. The details have
been given already in my first round of stories about 63 Saiva Saints. 

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: May 06, 2016, 03:22:04 PM »
Dear sir. Yes. Today in thruchenkotankudi they celebrate the puja in shiva temple. They disribute a special ven pingal which is a meducine for sll disease. My friends from chennai left for this puja. Mistly 63 nayanmars all served shiva in tamil nadu i think.this is the reason they say தென்னாடுடைய சிவனே போற்றி என் நாட்டவர்க்கும் இறைவா போற்றி,          திருசிற்றம்பலம்.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: May 08, 2016, 12:18:39 PM »
Today is the Liberation Day of Queen Mangayarkarasi, the queen of Pandya king who came back to
Saivism, after Tiru Jnana Sambandhar cured his stomach pain. I have given the detailed story of
the Queen Mangayarkarasi in my serial of 63 Saiva Saints elsewhere.   

Day of liberation  - Chitrai month, Rohini star day.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: May 10, 2016, 01:26:25 PM »
Today is the Liberation Day of Viranmeenda Nayanar. 

Day of LIberation- Chitthirai - Tiruvadhirai star day.

i have given the detailed history of Viranmeenda Nayanar, one of the 63 Saiva Saints, who attained the
Sivalokam, in my first round of covering the 63 Saints.  Please look into that serial post to know about the
history of Viranmeenda Nayanar. 

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: May 13, 2016, 07:47:57 AM »

We have seen Sankara's Siva Manasa Puja and from then on about various devotees who did
pujas of a different kind.

We shall see Pooslar Nayanar today.  Poosalar was a poor brahmin, who was living in a town
called Tiru Nindravoor. This town comes in the Madras - Arkonam broad gauge line.
He suddenly desired to build a temple for Siva.  He was poor and so he went to several rich
landlords for money, but without success.  Then he decided to build a temple for Siva in his mind!

On an auspicious day, he started.  He visualized that he was getting stones and boulders, chunam
and other materials. He made the four walls first, then the inner portals.  He then built a bali peetam
and dwaaja sthambam.  Then the inner shrine.  He installed a nice Siva Linga.  Over the building,
he constructed a nice tower, with 9 golden cones called kumbhas.  Then only prana-pradishta and kumbhabhishekam remained.  He then prayed to Siva to come and bless the inauguration of the
temple!  Siva agreed and a date and a muhurtam, a good time, were fixed!

In the meantime one Varman, who was ruling in Kanchipuram, which is near Tiru Nindravoor,
had really constructed a big temple for Siva in Kanchipuram.  He then asked Siva to come
and bless the occasion of opening the temple.  Siva came and told him in the dream, that the
date contemplated by the king would not suit, since He had to go to Tiru Nindravoor to bless
Poosalar's temple!  The king was surprised.  Is there any other temple for Siva coming up nearby? 
He then rode in his horse and went to Tiru Nindravoor.  He asked the townsmen where was the
temple of Poosalar?  The people were laughing and said that there was no such new temple in
 Tiru Nindravoor, but there was one Poosalar, a poor Brahmin living in the nearby street.  The king
rushed there and saw the brahmin in Siva meditation, stood before him and prostrated.  Then he
told him that he had come as per Siva's information to him in the dream and he would like to visit
Poosalar's temple first.  The poor brahmin was horripilated.  He shed profuse tears and told the king:
O King, shame on me.  I have only built a temple in my mind and Siva had agreed to come.  There is
no temple outside.  I am sorry for the inconvenience.  The king also stood dumbfounded.  He then once
again prostrated to Poosalar and said:  Your temple is greater than mine.  It is your own work.
Every stone and wood have been procured by you single handedly and temple completed.  Where am I? 
I am using all my money power to construct a temple, without any effort on my own part.
Both hugged each other.  Siva then appeared before them with His consort and said:  "I appreciate
both your efforts.  But Poosalar's effort stands higher.  I shall visit the king's temple and then take
Poosalar to my Abode.  "Varman, you do service to me and then come to me in due course."

Poosalar did manasa puja like this.  He went one step more than Sankara in building a temple itself
to Siva in his manas.

Arunachala Siva.   

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: May 14, 2016, 10:10:37 AM »
 song from Thayumanavar(The Pervasive Being (3/11):

வேதமுடன் ஆகம புராணமிதி காசமுதல்
      வேறுமுள கலைகளெல்லாம்
  மிக்காக அத்துவித துவித மார்க்கத்தையே
      விரிவா யெடுத்துரைக்கும்
ஓதரிய துவிதமே அத்துவித ஞானத்தை
      உண்டுபணு ஞானமாகும்
   ஊகம்அனு பவவசன மூன்றுக்கும் ஒவ்வுமீ
      துலகவா திகள்சம்மதம்
ஆதலி னெனக்கினிச் சரியையா திகள்போதும்
      யாதொன்று பாவிக்கநான்
   அதுவாதலா லுன்னை நானென்று பாவிக்கின்
      அத்துவித மார்க்கமுறலாம்
ஏதுபா வித்திடினும் அதுவாகி வந்தருள்செய்
      எந்தைநீ குறையுமுண்டோ
   இகபர மிரண்டினிலும் உயிரினுக் குயிராகி
      எங்குநிறை கின்றபொருளே.

The Pervasive Being (3/11)

The Vedas, the Agamas, the Epics
And all the rest of scriptures
Expound in elaboration
The path of Advaita-Dvaita.
The inexplicable Dvaita knowledge
Is the knowledge that
Leads to Advaita knowledge.

This acceptable, indeed, to inference,
Experience and Revelation,
This is the accord of both the schools.

And so, enough for me
Is chariya, kriya and the rest.
What I conceive I am,
I become that.

And so, if I conceive Thee as ''I''
I will reach the path of Advaita.
My Father, whatever I conceive Thou as,
Thou as that appear
And confer Thine Grace.
Is there any lapse in that?

Oh! Thou the Pervasive Being
That is Life of life
Of this world and next!

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: May 14, 2016, 10:14:09 AM »
A man kept a solution of dye in a tub. Many people came to him to have their clothes dyed. He would ask a customer, 'What colour should you like to have your cloth dyed?' If the customer wanted red, then the man would dip the cloth in the tub and say, 'Here is your cloth dyed red.' If another customer wanted his cloth dyed yellow, the man would dip his cloth in the same tub and say, 'Here is your cloth dyed yellow.' If a customer wanted his cloth dyed blue, the man would dip it in the same tub and say, 'Here is your cloth dyed blue.' Thus he would dye the clothes of his customers different colours, dipping them all in the same solution. One of the customers watched all this with amazement. The man asked him, 'Well? What colour do you want for your cloth?' The customer said, 'Brother, dye my cloth the colour of the dye in your tub.'

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: May 17, 2016, 03:43:01 PM »
He who does not desire -- who is without desire,  who is freed from desire, whose desires have been
fulfilled, whose desire is for the Self only -his energies do not pass away, being the very Brahman
he goes to Brahman.

Therefore,

"When are given up all longings
which are found in the heart and soul,
Then the mortal becomes immortal,
in this life attains the Goal."

Just as a slough of a snake might lie on an anthill, lifeless and cast off, even so this body lies, and
this incorporeal immortal life force is Brahman itself, the Light itself.

Therefore,

"That difficult path, but diffused and ancient, by me has been reached and by me discovered.
Wise knowers of Brahman, released hereafter,
by this path enter the highest heaven."

-- Brhadaranyaka Upanishad.

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: May 17, 2016, 05:30:51 PM »
Control  States of Consciousness:

1. Look down, closing your eyes.  Feel yourself drifting downwards as if sinking through water  --
through forests of waving seaweed - ever deeper into a green, misty world of fantasy.  Enjoy this
pleasant since of freedom from earthly responsibility, from demanding projects, from fears, from
worldly ambitions.  Affirm mentally, 'Through slowly drifting waters, I sink into subconsciousness.'

2.  Now, with a quick burst of will power, open your eyes and gaze straight ahead.  Shake off the last
clinging tendrils of passivity.  Affirm, 'With a burst of energy I rise to greet the world!'

3. Remain in that state for a few moments.  Then look upward and affirm, 'I awake in Thy light!
I am joyful!  I am free!  I awake in Thy light!'

Practice alternating between these three states of consciousness, accompanying them with a corresponding
shift in the position of your eyes.  Gradually, you will gain the ability to control your states of consciousness
at will.

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: May 21, 2016, 11:44:51 AM »
Today is Vaikasi (Baishaki) Visakam star day.  This day is supposed to be great for Muruga worship.

In several temples in Tamizh Nadu, there will be special abhishekam , alankaram and arti for Muruga.
In some temples of Muruga there will be procession of Muruga deity and also chariot movement with
Muruga and His consorts.   

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: May 21, 2016, 11:49:45 AM »
Today is also the Full Moon Day, Pournami.  There  will a lot of crowd in Arunachala for giri pradkashina.

People will brave the hot sun and go for giri valam.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: May 22, 2016, 04:00:48 PM »
Today  Vaikasi Anusham, is also the birthday of Mahaswami Kanchi Chandrasekhara Swamigal.

In the Mutt at Kanchipuram, there will be special pujas for his Samadhi.

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 05:57:55 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: May 23, 2016, 07:12:39 AM »

Himavan is the king of Himachala and his wife is Mena Devi. Their only darling daughter is Uma.
Once Brahma and Vishnu came to Himavan and told him to give his daughter in wedding
to Siva.  Siva came to see Uma and was happy and indicated his liking to marry Uma.  Himavan
became thoughtful.  This guy has not mother and father.  And his caste is not even known to us.
We do not know his gothra, lineage.  How can we give our daughter?  Mena Devi said:  It does not
matter.  If he has no mother and father, it is in a way good, for Uma will not suffer at the hands of
a mother in law or a sister in law!

The wedding took place in a grand manner.  Kubera came as the best-man for Siva.  Brahma and
Saraswati, and Vishnu and Lakshmi attended the wedding and gave the couple a lot of costly
gifts. Finally Siva took leave and left with Uma.  He said that they are going for honey-moon to
Tiruvannamalai.  "It is a very cool place here.  Annamalai is quite hot.  So, for a change, we propose
to go to Tiruvannamalai for honey-moon. 

Himavan exclaimed:  "Oh!  To Annamalai?"

Siva said:  "Yes, to Annamalai.  I own that Hill."

Himavan became very happy.  O, our son-in-law is also the owner of a Hill.  Then, I should say that
he belongs to our caste! He and Mena Devi happily saw the couple off to Tiruvannamalai!

One girl to another:-

His temple is the cremation ground!
He wears the tiger skin as a nice apparel.
He has no mother, no father, He is all alone...
(What is the glory of your Siva?)

The other girl answers:

What if, He has no mother or father.
What if, He is all alone, a destitute.
You don't know His valor, if He gets angry,
All the worlds will burn to gravel and dust!

- Tiruchazhal - Holy Verbal Duel - Verse 3. Tiruvachakam.
     Saint Manikkavachagar.

(Source:  Idea from some old Tamizh book.)

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 11:43:26 AM by Subramanian.R »