Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 342187 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #1845 on: April 21, 2016, 03:57:30 PM »
No. Excepting that she is shown as mother of Tiru Jnana Sambandhar, there is no story in Periya Puranam.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: April 21, 2016, 03:59:22 PM »
Today is the wedding day of Sundareswarar and Meenakshi.  The pictures of the wedding are available
in TV and also in whatisapp.

Arunachala Siva. 

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: April 22, 2016, 09:36:17 AM »
Wise words from a Tibetan Buddhist Teacher for a spiritual practitioner .

"You, the practitioner, should first of all be like a bee going from flower to flower collecting nectar. At the stage when you are listening to and studying the teachings, learn all of them carefully, in both words and meaning.

Then, you should be like a wild animal. Not satisfied with a mere theoretical understanding, go to live in mountain solitudes where you can be free from all the busy involvement of ordinary life. Be self-sufficient and firm in one-pointed practice, as you discover directly for yourself the profound meaning of the teachings.

Finally, as you put the teachings into practice and integrate them with your being, you should be like a peg driven into hard ground. Unshaken by thoughts during meditation, remain unwavering. Cut away all limiting concepts of existence and non-existence from within, and directly encounter the face of the ultimate nature of everything. "

- Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: April 22, 2016, 12:01:43 PM »
CONVERSATIONS WITH ANNAMALAI SWAMI
The many different paths that are taught are really only
preparations for Bhagavan's path. Ultimately, one must learn to abide in the Self by meditation on the Self or by self-enquiry or by complete surrender.
Unfortunately, there are very few people who are spiritually mature enough to follow Bhagavan's highest teachings. Most people have to follow other paths until they are ready
for the final path.

From the  Book "Living by the words of Bhagavan"
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: April 22, 2016, 04:06:11 PM »
Today is the liberation day of Tiruk Kurippu Thonda Nayanar.  He was a washer man to whom
Siva came to hand over his old codpiece, which disappeared!  I have already covered the history
of Tiruk Kurippu Thondar in my first round of stories on 63 Saiva Saints.   

Date of liberation - Chitrai month, Swathi star day.

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:08:16 PM by Subramanian.R »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1850 on: April 22, 2016, 05:41:14 PM »
The teacher can be of immense help to those students who have purified themselves and become ready for their spiritual‬ ‪unfoldment‬. Thus, the entire responsibility for our inner growth rests with us, the seekers‬, and not upon our teachers. They are always great; they are ever ?on?. But our own inadequacies cheat us of our deeper experiences‬.- Swami Chinmayananda

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: April 24, 2016, 11:34:07 AM »

Saw this on a Shridi Sai FB Page

The statue and tomb of Sri Sai Baba how it came  :-

The statue, which has become such a famous and well-loved image of Baba, was not installed until 1954, thirty-six years after his mahasamadhi, and there is an intriguing story behind it. Some white marble arrived from Italy at the Bombay docks, but nobody seemed to know anything about it who it was for, or why it had come. In the absence of a claimant, the dockyard auctioned it and the purchaser offered it to the Shirdi Sansthan (temple authorities). Impressed by the quality of the marble, they wanted to use it for an idol of Baba and gave the commission to a sculpture from Bombay, Balaji Vasant Talim. However, the latter had only one black and white photo of Baba as his model, and was struggling to get the likeness. One night Baba came to him in a dream, remarked on his difficulties and then showed him his face from various angles, encouraging Talim to study it thoroughly and remember it well. This gave Talim the filip he needed and after that the work flowed easily and the result exceeded all expectations.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: April 25, 2016, 12:56:32 PM »

I am sharing my thoughts with regard to the Mountain Path comments that were shared in Anil's thread and since I do not want that thread to be diverted to discussing the issue of Mountain Path I am sharing my comments here .

Sri Ravi has given his views and there is merit in the same and so the same with regard to Anil's views . I am not a great subscriber of spiritual journals ( except for Mountain Path ) and rest I read mostly online ( most ashrams publish their journals online for free or for a very small token amount ) and I really cant comment on the quality of the articles as in spiritual matters each individual will be seeking something unique  and one article might be dry for someone but the same will be inspiring and useful for another . With regard to Mountain Path for me I always eagerly look  out for the articles related "How I came to Bhagavan / Devotees Experiences " and that article alone is enough for me as far as Mountain Path is concerned and rest I just go through it and if I find anything interesting I go through it in depth otherwise I skip it but there are at times when I go through some old issues of Mountain Path to find some articles that I missed previously very interesting . The same with other spiritual magazines .

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: April 25, 2016, 02:27:14 PM »

Here is a link to some of the Spiritual Journals/Magazines that are available for free download and reading online . Members who have links to other spiritual magazines kindly share the same .

Shri Ravi had given a linked to the Vision magazine published by Ananada Ashram ( Papa Ramdas ) and I am reproducing the same here :

http://www.anandashram.org/html/vision.html

The following is a link to the online magazine published by Divine Life Society ( Swami Sivananda Ashram , Rishikesh )

http://www.sivanandaonline.org/public_html/?cmd=displayrightsection&section_id=1742&parent=1709&format=html

The following is a link to the online magazine  KALYAN-KALPATARU published by Gita Pres Gorakhpur

http://kalyana-kalpataru.org/new_issues.html

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: April 25, 2016, 08:13:13 PM »
Anil/Friends,

Yes, they could do that. But, at the same time, I am also aware that Sri Bhagwan never interfered in running the affairs of the Ashram and almost always allowed to do what they liked. If some devotees complained, He used to sternly remind them to do only what they have come for. Therefore, who am I who has so much concern regarding the quality of articles published in the Mountain Path? Our duty is only to practice as He has taught and not to find fault in what Sri Ramansramam undertakes to do and what it publishes. In my view, since Bhagwan is always there, as the Sadguru, nothing can go awry.

Anilbhai,the 'who am I who has so much concern regarding the quality of articles'?..... is invalid.....It is not 'finding fault'.....it is pointing to a definite deficiency .....It certainly does not affect me in any degree inwardly.I have neither attachment nor indifference towards that publication.

I have simply expressed a definitive view .....if I had wished to 'complain',I would have written to Sri Ramanasramam,which I do not intend doing.It is their job and if at all anyone of those concerned comes across a  'different' view......either reading what I have posted or someone carrying the news to them......,they may choose to do as they like.

There are situations we face in everyday living where applying the criteria 'Who am I to concern myself' is invalid .....we need to be totally concerned to see what we can 'Do' and not just 'complain' about things which we perceive require correction......This in no way detracts from our inward poise and purpose.

Also,when I am pointing out the 'Deficiency' in a publication,it does not mean that I am blind to the other valuable articles that get published.

Most importantly.....to be devoted to Bhagavan.....I do not have to appreciate 'the asramam'.....'The Books that get published by them'......'all the writings of his devotees'.....I just can be an 'outsider' and this gives me a greater intimacy with Bhagavan......and this 'Bhagavan' is not confined to just 'Sri Ramansramam' any more than 'Sri Ramakrishna' is confined to 'Sri Ramakrishna Mutt' or 'Papa Ramdas' is to 'Anadashram'.

Ofcourse ,I appreciate other's points of view when they see every particle of sand in the Asramam grounds as sacred.....only that appreciation should not limit one towards being 'sensitive' to a contrary view......It is then one has to ask oneself 'Who is the one who is affected'?........The reason that we get affected is that we perceive that the 'other view' is not 'Respectful' or 'appreciative' of 'Sri Bhagavan'........This is not true.....If we Love Bhagavan,we will not take anything amiss.

I had a great devotee friend,Called Indu Shekarji when I was posted at IIT ,Kanpur.....This great soul passed away at an age of 45 or so........Shekarji loved all Great ones and was a Brahmachari.......He was doing his Ph.d at IIT,Kanpur when I met him there and moved with him....He used to stay in Hall 5 in one of the rooms allotted to him....He used to wear a Blue shirt and an ochre colored pant everyday (others may think it is his uniform;but it was simply a matter of 'convenience'.He would go to a shop,get 10 metres of Pant cloth and a similiar measure for his shirt and give it for tailoring.....and this simplified 'what to wear' on a daily basis!!!).....He had a Bicycle which he NEVER locked and almost everyone at IIT,Kanpur recognized it.....He used to lock the door of his hostel room and leave it on the niche above the door so that anyone can use his room and treat themselves to the bananas that he used to hang on a string in his room.......Now ,this shekarji used to visit me in my room at the computer center(I was posted for a period of 3 years at IIT,kanpur) and other friends from different walks of life also used to gather there......Shekarji was particularly fond of 'Rajneesh' and had gone to his pune ashram and had a personal talk with him.......In those years (1983-1987),Rajneesh was very much in the news for 'wrong' reasons.....and whenever Shekarji used to visit me,the others gathered there would make a concerted effort(in good humor) to read the 'Good news' and look for 'Shekarji's response' and try to provoke him.....Shekarji used to burst into uncontrolled laughter at their 'pointed vibes' and leave them totally nonpulssed........sometimes,after such a bout of laughter,he would gently say,'I know him.He is not all this' ......and the topic would end there for that day.....only to be repeated the next day stirred up by 'the NEWS of the day'.....I last met Shekarji when he visited our Home at Dehradun(in 1987) when I was Transferred there.....and after a few years,he was killed when someone(a car or a truck) knocked him down when he was riding on his bicycle at Ranchi(where he taught Industrial Engineering).

Shekarji clearly demonstrated that where there is true 'Love',there is no 'insecurity' which feels threatened by every situation or contrary view......and not just that,it simply 'enjoyed' the contrary view as well.

Namaskar.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:19:39 PM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: April 25, 2016, 09:41:07 PM »
Sadhak/Friends,

And even when filled some pages are only good for wrapping 'kadalai' (ground nuts). ;D  Low standards of editorial staff with articles accepted from all and sundry claiming to be authors. :P  I must also confess that a couple of them are my acquaintances. :-X :-[

Ha,ha...In that case,the entire magazine would have  landed with that 'kadalai wala'(Vendor of ground nuts) and there is every possibility that some 'page' in that lot, carrying a  a pregnant 'word' of Sri Bhagavan may be chanced upon by some buyer of peanuts cum 'fortunate' would be 'Devotee' and kindle in him the thirst for the quest, as it happened in the case of Sri Chandekar maharaj .....I had posted that story here in this very thread on April 4th,2016:
http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=6940.1815

By the way,talking about groundnuts reminds me of how Sri Bhagavan used to roast the peanuts in the Brazier(early in the morning) and remark....Let us finish 'vErkadalai pArAyanam' before they begin 'Veda pArAyanam'........so,it looks like being put to use for wrapping 'kadalai' seems to be 'sat upayog' or 'Noble use',after all...Ha,ha.
Namaskar
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 09:44:21 PM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: April 25, 2016, 10:55:14 PM »
Friends,

"The feeling of 'I ' and 'mine' is ignorance. People say that Rani Rasmani built the Kali temple; but nobody says it was the work of God. They say that such and such a person established the Brahmo Samaj; but nobody says it was founded through the will of God. This feeling, 'I am the doer', is ignorance. On the contrary, the idea, 'O God, Thou art the Doer and I am only an instrument; Thou art the Operator and I am the machine', is Knowledge. After attaining Knowledge a man says: 'O God, nothing belongs to me-neither this house of worship nor this Kali temple nor this Brahmo Samaj. These are all Thine. Wife, son, and family do not belong to me. They are all Thine.'

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

If there is one constant companion that I have to recommend.....it is this wonderful book by 'M'.....This is an invaluable resource for all aspirants irrespective of whatever path they follow.....It has all the hints and clues,guidance for every possible situation or occasion that besets a seeker,the right attitude towards every aspect of living ....all so simply and wonderfully clarified....and with good humor........and above all a 'Live satsangha' with the Master......This satsangha is freely available at all times at all places.
Namaskar.

Sadhak

• View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: April 25, 2016, 11:17:55 PM »
Ha,ha...In that case,the entire magazine would have  landed with that 'kadalai wala'(Vendor of ground nuts)

I wouldn't go so far. There are still 1 or 2 articles usually worth reading. But some are fit for the kadalai wala. Or may be it even came from there.:o

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: April 26, 2016, 08:07:54 AM »
It was ten o'clock in the morning. Ramlal had finished the daily worship in the Kali temple.The Master went to the temple accompanied by M. Entering the shrine, the Master sat before the image. He offered a flower or two at the feet of the Divine Mother. Then he put a flower on his own head and began to meditate. He sang a song to the Divine Mother:
Thy name, I have heard, O Consort of Siva, is the destroyer of our fear,
And so on Thee I cast my burden: Save me! Save me, O kindly Mother!

Sri Ramakrishna returned from the Kali temple and sat on the southeast verandah of his room. He ate some refreshments which had been offered at the temple, and the devotees also received a share.
Rakhal sat by the Master and read about Lord Erskine from Self-Help by Smiles.
MASTER (to M.): "What does the book say?"
M: "It says that Lord Erskine performed his duty without desiring any result for himself. Disinterested duty."
MASTER: "That is very good. But the characteristic of a man of Perfect Knowledge is that he doesn't keep a single book with him. He carries all his Knowledge on the tip of his tongue. There's the instance of Sukadeva. Books-I mean the scriptures-contain a mixture of sand and sugar. The sadhu takes the sugar, leaving aside the sand. He takes only the essence."

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:09:48 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: April 26, 2016, 09:30:43 PM »
Friends,
Humor needs to be part of life and recognized as such and one has to have the temper to accept it simply,without attaching hidden motives to it.We do consider the Ganga holy and have a reverence towards it.....for it has sustained ,nourished and witnessed Holy association over hoary ages;At the same time we also recognize the need to cleanse it and purge it of gutter and dross that gets injected into it by human thoughtlessness.....we do not take it amiss when we mention this aspect and immediately recognize its importance.We do not brand people who point out the need for this as  people who commit sacrilege.
Ditto with a spiritual magazine like 'mountain path'....situation is almost the same with regard to most other magazines churned out at other places as well....Most of it is outsourced to miscellaneous contributors with little or no credentials.....and the standards consequently suffer dilution.Unlike other magazines,spiritual magazine need to publish  articles from persons who have to be sadhakas first,coupled to deep scholarship(Scholarship is needed to bring in the needed discipline to write cogently and express accurately the subtle spiritual Truth at an intellectual level)....and this sort of a demand cannot be met easily.
As I said,that instead of filling in the pages with 'fillers',it is a good approach to either source good articles featured elsewhere or even recycle old articles in earlier publication.
In any of the exchanges here,one needs to keep his cool and not be provoked.....one may contest and argue the merit,demerit and uphold one's point of view if one honestly feels it justified.....but it should not descend to accusing others of having a 'motive' to undermine proceedings here ......after all if one does that ,the only gainer is the very much alive and kicking 'ego' that one is trying to undermine.
Jokes apart,many of the magazines(including the so called spiritual ones) end up with the kabadi wala(the person who weighs and pays a nominal rate on a Kilogram basis...understand that it is about Rs10/- per Kg for newspaper and magazines) ...and from here it gets distributed to others like makers of 'Paper bags' and ....onto other vendors who use the paper to dispense eatables like peanuts......and then onto the factories for recycling.......This is unavoidable.The present day ebooks offer a respite,but then I understand that many people prefer to read the printed material.
A few keep the back issues piled up but eventually the pile grows so big that they end up disposing it at less frequent intervals.The Fundamental thing is that anything that gets created here needs to be destroyed or dispensed with .
Whether one eats 'Prasad' or 'everyday food as Prasad' ....whatever be the category,the outlet is the same.
So,one need not be disturbed if we skip one intermediate 'step'(i.e transfer the paper to the peanut vendor without going through it in full) for the right or wrong reasons ....and fundamentally one is where one is....Be oneself....This message is what is sustainable and sustains.Nothing else matters.
Namaskar.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 10:00:36 PM by Ravi.N »