Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 365884 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #1830 on: April 08, 2016, 07:59:44 AM »

In sleep, god as a matter of grace, allows the prana, breath to continue, whereas the mind is
temporarily under suspended animation.  [ The prana goes in and comes out, so that others
would not think that you are dead, this is god's grace].

-- Who am I?

In dream, mind shows some mischief.

In wakeful state, it is the mind which calls all the shots.

In all three states, Soul or the Self or Brahman is ever-present.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: April 08, 2016, 08:07:51 AM »

There is a poem titled  Paripoorana Panchamirtam, containing 5 melodious songs under five
types of abhishekams for Murugan -- like milk, curd, ghee, sugar and honey. 

Sri Pampan Swamigal, the author of these poems,  was born in Pampan, a village
on the southernmost tip of India near Kanyakumari.He was the son of one Sathappa Pillai.
His name was Appavu.  He was taught classical Tamizh by one Muniyandi
Pillai, a versatile Tamizh pandit.  One day, when he went to the Siva temple of Ramanathapuam,
he desired to write poems on Muruga and the impulse became a reality immediately. He could
compose songs on Muruga.  He wrote them afterwards and kept with him.  One day one Sethu
Madhava Iyer of Rameswaram happened to read these poems and became quite excited.
He took Appavu and gave him the six lettered mantra of Muruga as Upadesa.  He also got
him married later to a good lady.

Soon Appavu Pillai started performing miracles for good purpose , like curing illness etc.,
He also composed many songs on Muruga.  He wrote this Paripoorana Panchamirtam
in 1891. After visiting many Murga temples, Appavu Pillai took to sannyasa and reached Madras.
He then went to Kasi in the year 1902 and meditated on Visalakshi and Viswanatha.  He returned to
Madras and after visiting Chidambaram he decided to stay only in Madras.  He wrote the famous
Sri Kumarastavam in 1915.  But as per the call of Arunachaleswara, he went to Tiruvannamalai
and from there he went to Bangalore.  He attained Maha Samadhi on 30.5.1929, in Tiruvanmiyur,
on the outskirts of today's Chennai. His Samadhi is said to be in Tiruvanmiyur, Chennai.

His various songs have been classified into six books.

Arunachala Siva.     

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: April 08, 2016, 10:12:56 PM »
But as per the call of Arunachaleswara, he went to Tiruvannamalai
and from there he went to Bangalore.  He attained Maha Samadhi on 30.5.1929, in Tiruvanmiyur,
on the outskirts of today's Chennai. His Samadhi is said to be in Tiruvanmiyur, Chennai.

Subramaniam Sir

Coincidentally today I visited Sri Pamban Swamigal Samadhi in Thiruvanmiyur and was happy to read your post on return .
Coming back to yoru post , are u aware of Pamban Swamigal meeting Bhagavan Ramana during his trip to Thiruvanamalai ?
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: April 09, 2016, 07:37:59 AM »
Dear atmavichar,

I am not sure about Pamban Swamigal's meeting with Sri Bhagavan.  I should check up with Tamizh
biography.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: April 09, 2016, 06:35:58 PM »

1. Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi - 66th Maha Aradhana - 04.05.2016

2.  Mother Azhagamma - Maha Puja -  30.05.2016

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: April 11, 2016, 07:28:42 AM »

By any of those curious squirks of history, there is a connection between the ancient philosophy
of India and a group of American citizens of the mid 19th century, who came to be known as
Boston Brahmins!  Among this distinguished clan were two individuals who more than any others
resonated to the call of India and wrote exceptional works that made a deep impact on the generations
that followed.  These were Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau.  Particularly the latter's
work WALDEN is still read today for its common sense and wonderful descriptions of nature.
He wrote this masterpiece, staying as a guest to Emerson, during his short life of 43 years.
Thoreau's short article On the Duty of Civil Disobedience, inspired Mahatma Gandhi and later
Martin Luther King.

People, particularly Westerners who had felt that one must 'do something', often asked
Bhagavan Ramana, what He was doing to 'help' the world.  Bhagavan always smiled and asked:
"Who is there, other than oneself in this dream world?"  If the questioner could not grasp this
statement, He would come down to their level and say in effect:  "How do you know I am not helping?"
Bhagavan Ramana's very Presence was sufficient to influence anyone in he world, whose mind and
heart is open, to a higher realm of understanding.  Spiritual truths are not inhibited by time and space
as anyone who has come into contact with Bhagavan Ramana's grace today knows. 

Bhagavan may have been a historical figure but it would be foolish to think that it all ended in
April 1950, when His physical body died.  If anything, His influence has only grown with the
passing years and particularly in the last two decades, when His face and words are so readily
available in innumerable books and on the world wide web.

There was the special charisma which Bhagavan naturally displayed for how many stories have
we read or heard about someone who was utterly transformed by one piercing look from His eyes!  [ Balakrishna Menon, later Swami Chinmayananda had said that His one piercing look was enough to 'understand' everything, and all his six years of spiritual training in Uttara Kasi later, were only repetitions!].

For many when they first read something by Bhagavan Ramana, are struck by the truthfulness of the statements.  They are self evident and resonate deep in the heart far away from the crowded world of explanations, in which our normal mind indulges.

With Thoreau, there is a similar timbre in his descriptions of nature and observations about
human nature. These simple words, by a man who was admired by a small circle of contemporaries
who were nonetheless puzzled by his lack of seeming purpose, have come down to us today as
treasures which we reflect on and which nourish us.

(Source: Editorial, Mountain Path, July-Sep 2008)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: April 11, 2016, 07:30:56 AM »

We are all Awareness.  It is the vasanas, which are like clouds, that obstructs its revealing.
The vasanas are carried from the previous births and it appear right from the moment
the child is born.  It looks for mother's breast for milk!  People without vasanas are always
Awareness.  There is one Nammazhwar in Sri Vaishnavism.  He was born under a tamarind
tree.  He is ayonija, born not through a mother's womb.  He therefore cared for nothing.
He just consumed air and lived! He is called Sadagopa, for the same reason.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: April 11, 2016, 11:37:55 AM »
Today is the Liberation Day of Necha Nayanar;

Liberation Day - Panguni - Rohini Star Day.

I have already covered the life story of 63 Saiva Saints in my first round of covering their lives.  Please
see the story of Necha Nayanar in that.

Arunachala Siva. 

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: April 17, 2016, 05:03:16 PM »

Ramakrishna Paramahamsa  said--

http://athma-spiritualbliss.blogspot.in/2013/08/nama-mahathmya-nama-japa-or-nama-smarana.html

?In the Kaliyuga, man, being totally dependent on food for
 life, cannot altogether shake off the idea that he is the
body. In this state of mind it is not proper for him to say,
?I am He.? When a man does all sorts of worldly things, he
should not say ?I am Brahman.? Those who cannot give up
attachment to worldly things, and who find no means to shake
off the feeling of ?I,? should rather cherish the idea: ?I am God?s
servant. I am His devotee.? One can also realize God
following the path of devotion.?

Have faith in the name of God. Then you won?t need even to
go to holy places. One should always chant His name. Even
when one is performing one's duties, the mind should be left
with God.
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: April 17, 2016, 05:04:49 PM »

What Ramana Maharshi told About NAMA MAHATHMYA
& Nama Japa --

http://athma-spiritualbliss.blogspot.in/2013/08/nama-mahathmya-nama-japa-or-nama-smarana.html

An illiterate peasant from a village came to meet Ramana
Maharshi & stood hesitatingly far away from him, for a long
time. Maharshi noticed this,got up, went near the villager &
the conversation between them as reported by another
person is as follows--

I was curious about this villager and why Bhagavan had gone
out of his way to meet him. So, while the discussion continued
I slipped away and caught up with the villager, before he left
the Ashram. I asked the villager what he and Bhagavan had
talked about. He said that Bhagavan had asked him why he
was standing there so far away. "I told Bhagavan, 'I am
only an ignorant, poor villager. How am I to approach
you who are God incarnate?'"
"What did the Maharshi say then?" I asked.
"He asked me my name, what village I was from, what work
I did and how many children I had, etc."
"Did you ask Him anything?"
"I asked Him how I could be saved and how I could
earn His blessings."
"What did He tell you?"
"He asked me if there was a temple in my village. I told
him there was. He wanted to know the name of the deity
of that temple. I told Him the name. He then said that
I should go on repeating the name of that deity and
I would receive all the blessings needed."
By the above incident we can know the greatness of GOD's
name & its repetition.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: April 17, 2016, 07:44:14 PM »
Dear sir.                                                                                             God and His name both are same. Whichever method is easy for man he should do with full faith. By chanting god's name many people attained mukthi. All devotees of vittal had darshan of Lord vittal. Bhagavan himself wrote aksharamani mala and it is a boon for us to chant arunachala arunachala

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: April 19, 2016, 07:49:21 AM »

My wife had gone to one Murugan temple, in Koramangala, in Bangalore to attend a bhajan
where they sang Paripurna Panchamirta Varnam between 4 and 6 pm in different batches! 
In Bangalore, they celebrate the Guru Pooja of Pamban Swamigal.  He attained
Maha Nirvana on Vaikasi [solar calendar], Krishna Paksha Panchami, where the star Sravana
coincides that day, as it was on his Maha Nirvana Day.

Pamban Swamigal is as erudite as Arunagiri Natha.  He wrote:

1. 5 Songs of Panchamirta Varnam, describing abhisheka
to Muruga, with milk, curd, sugar, ghee and honey.  I am
reading the meanings of these five songs.  They are quite
picturesque.  While singing also, these songs have got power
of music.

2. Sri Kumara Stavam, about 48 names of Skanda, each
denoting a separate aspect of Muruga.

3. Pahai Kadithal - Song for vanquishing enemies.

4. Nava Deva Malai - 9 songs for the commanders of
Skandar's army.  Like Veerabhagu etc.,

5. Sastra Bandham -  This is just one song, of 55 letters where every letter when read from beginning to end and end to beginning are same!  Barring a few letters in between.  It is supposed to be written on silver or golden Spear, Vel and puja should be made!

6. Mayura  Bandham.  Contains 100 letters ALL short consonants, alpa prana in Sanskrit, kuril
in Tamizh.  This has to be written on a silver or gold plate drawing of Peacock and should be prayed!

This Siddha is a terrible word-player. 

The last song of Panchamirta Varnam describes who are
all dancing with Skanda, after the war.  I would very much
like to translate and give the meaning at least.  It is quite
tough.  Let me try.  About 40 gods are dancing!

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: April 20, 2016, 06:57:28 AM »
Subramaniam Sir

Thanks for the writeup about Sri PAmban Swamigal . I regularly visit his Samasdhi Shrine in THiruvanmiyur ,Chennai and love chanting his songs especially Kumarsthavam and Shanmuga Kavacham . The PAnchamrutha Vannam is a great song but difficult has complex meanings and words . PAmban Swamigal's Tamil is but tough but they have potent powers embedded in them . A great saint indeed and those who love THIRUPPUGAZ would also love the songs and composition of Sri Pamban Swamigal .

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: April 21, 2016, 02:14:45 PM »
Today is the liberation day of Isai Jnaniyar, the Mother of Tiru Jnana Sambandhar.  As mother of the great
Siva Jnani, she also attained liberation.

The day is Chitrai month Chirtai star day.

Arunachala Siva.   

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: April 21, 2016, 03:51:01 PM »
Dear sir. Is there detailed story of isai gyaniyar