Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 284169 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #1770 on: February 28, 2016, 06:19:38 AM »
How can a Brahma Jnani without thoughts, write a book or engage in activities?

Here is an excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

Master:There are signs of Perfect Knowledge. One is that reasoning comes to an end. As I have just said, the butter sizzles and crackles as long as it is not thoroughly boiled.
Doctor: "But can one retain Perfect Knowledge permanently? You say that all is God. Then why have you taken up this profession of a paramahamsa? And why do these people attend on you? Why don't you keep silent?"
MASTER (smiling): Water is water whether it is still or moves or breaks into waves.
The story of the "māhut Narayana"
"I must tell you something else. Why should I not listen to the 'mahut Narayana'? The guru had taught his disciple that everything was Narayana . A mad elephant was coming toward the disciple, but he did not move away since he believed the guru's words. He thought that the elephant was Narayana . The mahut shouted to him: 'Get away! Get away!' But the disciple did not move. The elephant picked him up and threw him to the ground. The disciple was not quite dead; when his face was sprinkled with water he regained consciousness. Being asked why he had not moved away, he said: 'why should I? The guru said, "Everything is Narayana."' 'But, my child,' said the Guru, 'Why didn't you listen to the words of the mahut Narayana ?'
"It is God who dwells within as the Pure Mind and Pure Intelligence. I am the machine and He is its Operator. I am the house and He is the Indweller. It is God who is the mahut Narayana."
DOCTOR: "Let me ask you something. Why do you ask me to cure your illness?"
MASTER: "I talk that way as long as I am conscious of the 'jar' of the 'ego'. Think of a vast ocean filled with water on all sides. A jar is immersed in it. There is water both inside and outside the jar; but the water does not become one unless the jar is broken. It is God who has kept this 'jar' of the 'ego' in me."
DOCTOR: "What is the meaning of 'ego' and all that you are talking about? You must explain it to me. Do you mean to say that God is playing tricks on us?"
GIRISH: "Sir, how do you know that He is not playing tricks?"
MASTER (smiling): "It is God who has kept this 'ego' in us. All this is His play, His Lila. A king has four sons. They are all princes; but when they play, one becomes a minister, another a police officer, and so on. Though a prince, he plays as a police officer.(To the doctor) Listen. If you realize Atman you will see the truth of all I have said. All doubts disappear after the vision of God."

The False identification with 'Thought' ceases but thinking need not stop,just like life need not stop.As long as there is life in the body,there will be thought and action.
Namaskar

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: March 04, 2016, 01:41:35 PM »
Today is the Liberation Day of Kari Nayanar.  He built several temples for Siva. I have given story
of Kari Nayanar in my first round of Nayanmars, see elsewhere in this Forum. 

The liberation day is today, Masi, Puradam star day.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: March 05, 2016, 06:56:02 AM »

Arthur Osborne writes in the above book:

I had been a great meat-eater all my life, taking meat daily, often, in one form or another,
three times a day, morning, noon and night, except for a short period at Oxford when I had been
a vegetarian as a result of reading Leonardo da Vinci's saying that we are all cemetery of dead animals.
At Tiruvannamalai, we ate less meat than ever before but did not completely renounce it.  By the time,
we moved to Madras we had given up cooking meat at home, but every Tuesday I used to go into town
at lunchtime to lay my weekly stock of tobacco and I could eat meat at a restaurant.  One Tuesday,
I ordered a chicken pulav but when it arrived I felt I could not just face the thought of eating it.
It was not any theoretical objection or even feeling of compassion for this chicken, just an inner
revulsion.  So I sent it back and ordered for fried fish instead.  Next Tuesday, I repeated this order,
but I had the same feeling about that also and sent it back.  I never ate meat or fish again.

The meditation sets up a finer vibration and to in some ways makes one more sensitive to food and environment.  The point had been reached when vegetarianism had become a necessity.

I soon gave up smoking too.  I felt that smoking is also a sort of undercurrent so I felt that it was
a spurious imitation, an actual impurity once the meditational vibration was awakened.  I had twice
before in my life given up smoking.  Both times, I started again about six months later.  This time,
however, it was final.  I gave it away with the remaining tobacco in my pouch and all my pipes
to a journalist, who fancied himself as a pipe smoker.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: March 05, 2016, 01:08:14 PM »
CONVERSATIONS WITH ANNAMALAI SWAMI

Q: I have read many accounts of Gurus and saints giving blessings. I cannot quite understand what this blessing is. Is

it that the saint gives out or releases some energy from within himself? Does he make an agreement for something to

happen within consciousness? How does it work?

AS: To have love towards another human being is a blessing and
to have anger towards him is a curse.

Q: Does this mean that when we love a Guru we are attracting his blessings? Is it one's karma that one should meet a

Guru and love him?

AS: One only comes into contact with a sage when one's good
karmas bear fruit. Only those who have accumulated good karma from many lives get the chance to meet and love a sage.

Q: Is the blessing that one receives from a sage part of one's destiny? Can the sage give a blessing that will take

away part of one's karma or change it in some way?

AS: The blessing of a jnani reduces the intensity of one's prarabdha karma [the karma which must be experienced in the
present life]. Even though it does not change the karma, it reduces its intensity. Being under the protection of the

Guru is a little like being under the shade of a big tree. When a person who has been out in the sun rests under a

tree, his discomfort is slightly alleviated.

- LWB, p. 284
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: March 05, 2016, 04:54:44 PM »
How can a Brahma Jnani without thoughts, write a book or engage in activities?

Excerpt(No.2) from the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

Parable of ant and sugar hill
"Men often think they have understood Brahman fully. Once an ant went to a hill of sugar. One grain filled its stomach. Taking another grain in its mouth it started homeward. On its way it thought, 'Next time I shall carry home the whole hill.' That is the way shallow minds think. They don't know that Brahman is beyond one's words and thought. However great a man may be, how much can he know of Brahman? Sukadeva and sages like him may have been big ants; but even they could carry at the utmost eight or ten grains of sugar!
As for what has been said in the Vedas and the Puranas, do you know what it is like?Suppose a man has seen the ocean, and somebody asks him, 'Well, what is the ocean like?'
The first man opens his mouth as wide as he can and says: 'What a sight! What tremendous waves and sounds!' The description of Brahman in the sacred books is like that. It is said in the Vedas that Brahman is of the nature of Bliss - It is Satchidananda.
Suka and other sages stood on the shore of this Ocean of Brahman and saw and touched the water. According to one school of thought they never plunged into it. Those who do, cannot come back to the world again.
Parable of salt doll
In samadhi one attains the Knowledge of Brahman - one realizes Brahman. In that state reasoning stops altogether, and man becomes mute. He has no power to describe the nature of Brahman.Once a salt doll went to measure the depth of the ocean. (All laugh.) It wanted to tell others how deep the water was. But this it could never do, for no sooner did it get into the water than it melted. Now who was there to report the ocean's depth?"
A DEVOTEE: "Suppose a man has obtained the Knowledge of Brahman in samadhi. Doesn't he speak any more?"
MASTER: Sankaracharya retained the 'ego of Knowledge' in order to teach others. After the vision of Brahman a man becomes silent. He reasons about It as long as he has not realized It. If you heat butter in a pan on the stove, it makes a sizzling sound as long as the water it contains has not dried up. But when no trace of water is left the clarified butter makes no sound. If you put an uncooked cake of flour in that butter it sizzles again. But after the cake is cooked all sound stops. Just so, a man established in samadhi comes down to the relative plane of consciousness in order to teach others, and then he talks about God.
The bee buzzes as long as it is not sitting on a flower. It becomes silent when it begins to sip the honey. But sometimes, intoxicated with the honey, it buzzes again.
An empty pitcher makes a gurgling sound when it is dipped in water. When it fills up it becomes silent. (All laugh.) But if the water is poured from it into another pitcher, then you will hear the sound again. (Laughter.)

This is one very interesting aspect of Sri Ramakrishna....he will say....."according to vaishnavas....according to  Vedanta.....according to  puranas....according to the tantra....".He was like a crystal that reflected whatever was near it.
The following conversation reflects this aspect ...that defies all categorization:
MASTER: Well, do you find me to be like anybody else?
M: No, sir.
MASTER: Like any other paramahamsa?
M: No, sir. You can't be compared to anybody else.
MASTER (smiling): Have you heard of a tree called the 'achina'?
M: No, sir.
MASTER: There is a tree called by that name. But nobody knows what it is.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: March 06, 2016, 11:32:42 AM »
Can anyone in the Forum show the topic  6155 of mine? Please help me.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: March 06, 2016, 01:04:25 PM »
I am repeating the request;

Can any Forum Member trace and tell me what my post No 6155 is?

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: March 06, 2016, 02:12:59 PM »
Here you are Subramanian Sir, your 6155th post given below (copied as it is)

Try looking at this link searching for your 6155th post.

http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=307;area=showposts;start=6150

The teachings of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi / Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
? on: June 06, 2015, 07:51:59 AM ?

Once while in Skandasramam,  Mother Azahgamma told her son:
"As your father was bringing in those days, it would be nice if we
have small brinjals (blue round one, famous in Tamizh Nadu and
Karnataka), I can prepare you a nice brinjal curry with a lot of
til oil and chilly powder!"  Bhagavan Ramana smiled and told her:
"Amma!  How can you expect this beggar-son to bring you brinjals
to make brinjal curry?" 

In the evening, a villager brought a basket full of small brinjals
to Amma and Bhagavan!  Bhagavan Ramana smiled and said:
"Amma!  Have you chanted any special mantras to get brinjals?
Now, you prepare nice brinjal curry and we can eat!"

Mother knows who has willed for small brinjals to be brought to
Skandasramam. 

Once one knows the Self,
What else is there to know?

-  Sri Bhagavan.

Arunachala Siva
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: March 07, 2016, 06:38:44 AM »
My dear Nagaraj,

Please help me in locating my post no.  17368.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: March 07, 2016, 07:50:21 AM »
Dear Sir,

Here it is. Follow the link below to thr last but one post to 17368th post.

http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=307;area=showposts;start=17355

The post is copied as under:

General topics / Re: Thayumanavar - Blessings
? on: October 31, 2013, 08:55:16 AM ?
Verse 16 of paink kiLi kaNNi of Tayumanavar as translated by mountainman:

Will I pine and waste my days
Seeing not in heart's rapture
The Sight unseen
Oh, Green Parrot!

General topics / Re: Thayumanavar - Blessings
? on: October 31, 2013, 08:54:00 AM ?
Verse 16 of paink kiLi kaNNi of Saint Tayumanavar:

காணாத காட்சி கருத்துவந்து காணாமல்
வீணாள் கழித்து மெலிவேனோ பைங்கிளியே. 16

Arunachala Siva.
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: March 08, 2016, 12:41:31 PM »
Kochengat Chozha Nayanar liberation:

Masi (Kumbha)  month - Sadhayam star day:

This has been already posted by me in the earlier round of covering the 63 Saiva Saints.  Please go
through the same for knowing the full details.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: March 11, 2016, 06:14:38 AM »

Verse 89 of Sri Sivananda Lahari is a beauty.

Nathibhir nuthbhis thavmeecha bhuja-
Vithibhir dhyana samadhibhir na thushta |
Dhanusha musalena chachmabhir vaa
vadha the preetikaram dhatha karomi. ||

O the Ruler of the Worlds!  By bow and arrows, pounding logs,
and stones, you become very happy. You do not even become
so happy, even with namaskarams, stotrams and pujas and dhyana
samadhis.  Kindly tell me by which you shall have maximum
satisfaction.  And I shall do accordingly.

Siva became happy when Arjuna hit Him with his arrows and He gave him Pasupatastra.   
In the story of Sakkya Nayanar, who did puja to Siva Lingam, by throwing stones at it, He
became pleased and conferred him liberation.  Sri Sankara adds here the pounding
log also, as Nindastuti.

Tayumanavar sings:  By throwing stones, and hitting you with
arrows, and throwing some green leaves, your devotees reached
the shore.  I am lowly without any devotion, what can I do to
get your grace, O the Guru, who supported the non-injury to
others as the first qualification to reach you!

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: March 12, 2016, 06:46:48 AM »

There was one gentleman by name Thinnai Swami.  He came to
see Bhagavan Ramana with his family.  When he was taking leave
of Bhagavan, Bhagavan merely said, "Iru".  "Be."  He continued
in Tiruvannamalai for another 25 years, and the family left him
and visiting him occasionally.  He was living in a Thinnai, the front
portal of a large house.  No bath.  No change of dress.  Food, only
when someone offers.  Such is the magnetic spell of Bhagavan
Ramana.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: March 13, 2016, 06:23:11 AM »

From Bhagavan Ramana, certain great devotees had only one word or one sentence and this
gave them enough faith to proceed further with inquiry or surrender.  This may be a
"mantra" or a simple word or sentence.  He said:  Siva, Siva as mantra and Summa Iru or even
Iru (Stay) as the one word or one sentence for proceeding further.

This gave me some thoughts about Saint Pattinathar.  He is from Kaveri Poompattinam, near
Thanjavur, a coastal town. He was a great Siva bhakta but steeped in worldly pleasure of earning
huge money.  He was in shipping trade, selling goods at Malaya (Malaysia) and Burma (Myanamar). 
He had a good wife and got a son.  The son became 18 years old.  He sent his son to Malaysia in a
ship full of pearls and spices to sell and bring back rubies and gold.  The son came after three months.
In the ship, he brought a shipload of cow-dung!  When the father got angry and shouted, he came
to the house, prayed to Siva, and applied vibhuti on his forehead.  He then left a small box
with his father and asked him to open it after he left.  He left the home again.  The curious father,
opened the box and found an eyeless needle, with a palmyra leaf on which was written:

Even the eye-less needle* will not come with you in your last path (journey)**

*  - Eyeless needle or earless needle is the one in which the small hole is broken and the needle
has lost all its utility.

** - Last path or Journey - The path of the corpse to the burial or cremation ground!

Kaadharunatha oosiym kadai vashikku vaaraathu kaaN.

The father got a light flash in his mind and went out of the house.  He did not return.

Some great devotees were given one mantra or one word or one sentence by Bhagavan
Ramana and they took it in great faith and continued their spiritual pursuits successfully.
Bhagavan Ramana said: Siva, Siva or Summa Iru or even Iru (Stay) to Thinnai Swamigal.

Pattinathar was given a great sentence by his son, (the story later) which means:

Even the eye-less needle* will not come with you in your last path (journey)!**

* - The hole which is broken, after which the needle becomes
totally useless.

** The last path - The Journey of the corpse to the burial
or cremation ground.

This one sentence made the father to become a great Siva Yogi or Siva Jnani who wrote many
verses.  He is one of the 18 great Tamizh Siddhas.

Arunachala Siva. 

Sadhak

• View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: March 13, 2016, 01:28:04 PM »
The life of Patinathar is remarkable.  Later after his liberation he wrote 'Iru vinai patri thodarum, puniya pavamume patri thodarum'.

To the unliberated, he warned that on the one hand not even the eye less needle would accompany us in our last journey. At the same time, our punya (merits) and paava(demerits) will follow us wherever we go.

His samadhi is neglected by the government. It was hard to locate in north chennai even 20 years back and I suspect it is surrounded by even more development now. There was not even a sign post on the road and hardly anybody in the area had heard of him or his samadhi.