Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 284681 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #1695 on: January 12, 2016, 10:10:32 PM »
CONSCIOUS IMMORTALITY
Q: The mind is fickle and wandering. How can I control it?
M: If you at once direct your attention to the question, ?Who is the individual to whom this fickleness occurs', the tossing of the mind to and fro will stop.
Q: What particular steps would be helpful for control of the mind?
M: That depends on the circumstances of each individual. Bhakti, karma, jnana and yoga are (essentially) all one.
You cannot love God without knowing Him, nor know Him without loving Him. Love manifests in everything you do, and that is karma. The adoption of the right mental attitude (yoga) is the necessary preliminary before you can know or love God in the proper way.
Q: I have no peace of mind.
M: Peace is our real nature. It need not be attained. Our thoughts must be obliterated. The method prescribed in the Gita is the one to do it. Whenever the mind strays, bring it back to bear on meditation.
P. 55
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: January 13, 2016, 01:17:16 PM »
Yesterday, 12th Jan. was the liberation day of M. Sivaprakasam Pillai.

Sivapraksam Pillai is best remembered for the role he played in getting Bhagavan to write down His
teachings on self inquiry. In 1902, when he first met Him, Bhagavan was still remaining silent for
most part of the time.  Sivaprakasam Pillai approached Him and asked Him, questions about the nature
of the 'I'.  Bhagavan replied by writing His answers either in the sand with His finger or on a slate with
chalk. Sivaprakasam Pillai made a note of all answers and published them under the title Nan Yar?
(Who am I?).  Many years later in 1923, as an appendix to Sri Ramana Charita Ahaval, his verse biography
of Bhagavan, he also included some of Bhagavan's answers in his devotional poems.  In the mid 1920s
Bhagavan edited and rewrote Nan Yar? in the form of an essay.  It is this essay that now appears in
His Collected Works under the title Who am I?

Sivaprakasam Pillai also recorded some of his experiences with Bhagavan in verse form.  These poems
were liked and appreciated both by Bhagavan and by the Tamizh speaking devotees who visited Him.
Several of them were recited regularly in Bhagavan's presence as part of the daily parayana.

Sivaprakasam Pillai was never a permanent resident of the Asramam, but he visited Bhagavan regularly
for more than 45 years.  Although he himself felt that he was not a good devotee, he was greatly admired
both for his humility and his devotion.  When Bhagavan was told about his death in 1948, He remarked,
'Sivaprakasam Sivapraksamanar' which means Sivaprakasam has become the light of Siva.

Other details about his life, I have already written in the Forum.

Arunachala Siva.             

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: January 14, 2016, 10:18:41 AM »
Ramaswami Pillai - Liberation Day - 14.01.2016:

Today is Ramaswami Pillai's liberation day.

Ramaswami Pillai first saw Bhagavan when he was studying in school. "He looked indescribably majestic.
Since then He has been God to me in human form. He turned on me that look of heart melting grace
that He so often bestows on new comers.  I felt filled to the brim just by seeing Him."   

Miracles did take place in the presence of Bhagavan. .. After some months I saw a man prostrating
to Bhagavan with deep and sincere gratitude for having restored his eyesight!

Bhagavan could turn most mundane event into an opportunity for spiritual instruction.  Once, for
example, Ramaswami  Pillai was searching for a key that had been lost. After sometime he came
into the Hall and told Bhagavan about missing key, who told him, 'The key is where it always was.
It is not lost.  Only your memory is lost.  Atman is always there, but due to ajnana, (ignorance) we spend
our time searching for it.'

Arunachala Siva.     
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 10:32:03 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: January 15, 2016, 06:56:01 AM »

Man's desire for wealth is limitless.  Saint Tayumanavar says:  "Even if one is given to rule the
entire land, he would desire to conquer the oceans!"  Once a devotee prayed to Siva intently for
wealth.  Siva appeared before him and asked: What do you want?"  He answered.
Then Siva pointed his index finger towards the house.  The whole house turned into a golden palace!
The Siva entered his house.  What more do you want?"  The devotee grinned and showed the
wooden cupboards, steel cupboards, stainless steel vessels, etc.,  Siva waved his index finger towards
these objects.  All turned into gold.  The devotee was still grinning at him with expecting something
more.  Siva was amused, and he asked him:  "Anything else?"  He said unashamedly:  "I want your
index finger!"

Siva already lost half his body to Uma.  If someone asked him the index finger... What is the end?
He disappeared!

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: January 16, 2016, 06:23:18 AM »

Varatunga Rama Pandyan, was a later period chieftain,
with the suffix name of Pandyan.  While he was in his
death bed, his wife asked him whether he was afraid of
death.  The poet-king replied:

Why should I be afraid, my dear wife?
I am seeing Siva's abhaya hand.
I am seeing his bracelets with wreathed serpents.
I am seeing his waist cloth made of tiger's skin.
I am seeing his red matted locks with crescent moon.
I am seeing his golden feet with nicely sounding anklets.
I am seeing his grace-emitting divine face.
I am seeing his three starry eyes.
I am seeing his neck with the dark poison mark.
I am seeing his sacred thread, which are again snakes!
I am seeing his forehead with vibhuti in three lines.
I am seeing his pick axe and the fire on his hands
I am seeing the slender-waisted Uma on his left.
I am seeing the white total form of Siva, Pal Vannan.
Where is the fear for me?
Why should I be afraid?

If every devotee could see such god's divine form, without
any thought of dying, such vision alone should take him to
the god's abode, without fail.

(Source: Tamizh Stray Verses.  K. Subramania Pillai,
Santha Publishing House, Chennai.)

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: January 18, 2016, 05:17:17 PM »
Excellent pic of Bhagavan , Arunachala Hill and Aruncahala Temple - all in one

However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: January 18, 2016, 05:31:22 PM »
Dear atmavichar,

Excellent photo.  Can you please send me a copy, if possible?

Arunachala Siva. 

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: January 18, 2016, 07:30:29 PM »
As prompted by Sri Ravi, I am attaching the following Divine picture of Bhagavan blessed by Bhagavan himself to Sri Annamalai Swami. Shared by Sri Sundaram Swamy. Please read the wonderful genesis below as shared by Sri Ravi:

May the grace of Bhagavan Sri Ramana and Sri Satguru Annamalai swamiji remain with you forever.

I am sending herewith the great photo of Bhagavan Sri Ramana with Arunachala on top and also Arunachala in the heart of Sri Bhagavan.

This photo of Sri Bhagavan was worshiped by Sri Annamalai swamiji in his room from 1942.

Only yesterday, I received this graceful photo by Sri Bhagavan's grace.

I am sending the  copy of this graceful photo of  Sri Bhagavan  with his blessings to you as a gift for your love and devotion for Sri Bhagavan Ramana and Sri Annamalai swamiji.

This is a very old photo from 1942, So, it has dots. Later, I will clear the dots with the help of some photographers and will send it to devotees.

The divine incident connected with this great photo is explained below.

When Annamalali swamiji?s living room in Pelakothu which was started by Bhagavan was completed in 1942, on the first day of entering in this room for living and meditating, Sri Annamalai swamiji decided to place a graceful photo of Sri Bhagavan in that room for worship.

He got the face photo of Sri Bhagavan with Arunachala hill on top of Sri Bhagavan?s  head  and then he got one small photo of Arunachala hill and then he pasted the hill exactly at the heart of Sri Bhagavan and then he gave this photo to Sri Bhagavan for getting his blessings.

Sri Swamiji gave a title to  Sri Bhagavan?s photo as the great lord who swallowed the hill (Arunachala).
Sri Bhagavan looked at this photo and then commented to Swamiji, ?if you had given this Arunachala hill photo to me, I must have pasted it better?.

Then Sri Bhagavan wrote a 2 lined Thirukkural ( a verse which was written by one ancient saint called Thiruvallluvar) by his own handwriting on a piece of paper and he himself pasted this 2 lined verse on top of this photo with his blessings.

Then Sri Bhagavan gave this photo to Annamalai swamiji with all his blessings for placing in  his new room in Pelakothu for daily meditation.

The meaning of the 2 lined Thirukural written by Sri Bhagavan on top of this photo:
The glory of a Brahma gnani who is firmly established in the Self without any wavering is higher than a great mountain.

Also, Sri Bhagavan further said to him.
You said that I am the great lord who swallowed the hill. Previously also several years before, one great saivite saint called Appar wrote in one of his verses that out of his love and devotion for Arunachala, he swallowed Arunachala who is his lord.

Also, Sri Bhagavan showed this Tamil verse of saint Appar which was published in a magazine to Annamalai swamy.

Then Swamiji copied this four line verse of Appar on a paper and framed this verse and placed it under the photo of Sri Bhagavan in his room.

This is the divine story connected with this Sri Bhagavan?s graceful photo.
May the grace of Sri Bhagavan fill your heart with great peace.

May sri Bhagavan's grace protect you.
Yours in Sri Bhagavan
Sundaram swamy
May the grace of Sri Bhagavan and Swamiji reach you through this great photo.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: January 18, 2016, 08:20:15 PM »
Atmavichar/Nagaraj,
Thanks for the posts.Atmavichar's picture prompted me to post this very special picture (conceptualised by Sri Annamalai Swami) that carries Sri Bhagavan's writing on the top( from Tirukkural ,couplet 124) and which the Swami kept it in his room all the rest of his life.
Thanks Nagaraj.
Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: January 19, 2016, 06:35:19 AM »

We shall in this post, a verse of Desi Ramayya:

A man filled grains
in a tattered sack
and walked all night
fearing the toll-gates

but the grain went through the tatters
and all he got was the gunny sack.

It is thus
with the devotions
of the faint-hearted

O Ramanatha!

For your devotees
I shall be
bullock, for your devotees
I shall be menial,
slave and watchdog
at the door.

Maker of all things, for men
who raise their hands
in your worship

I shall be the fence of thorns
on their backyard.

O Ramanatha!

(Source: Speaking of Siva, A.K. Ramanujan)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: January 19, 2016, 06:37:15 AM »

Desi Ramayya is another Veera Saiva poet who met Basavanna, in Kudligi and became his disciple.  His chosen god is Siva, of Rameswaram, which Rama prayed to, before crossing the ocean to Lanka.

I shall give one more poem in this post.

In the mother's womb
the child does not know
his mother's face

nor can she ever know
his face.

The man in the world's illusion
does not know the Lord

nor the Lord him.

O Ramanatha.

Hunger the great serpent
has seized the vitals
and the venom is mounting
from foot to brow

Only He is the true snake-charmer
in all the world
who else but you can feed this hunger food
and bring the poison down.

O Ramanatha!

(Source: A.K. Ramanujan)

Arunachala Siva. 

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: January 19, 2016, 09:21:36 AM »
Dear atmavichar,

Excellent photo.  Can you please send me a copy, if possible?

Arunachala Siva.

Subramaniam Sir

It is very easy and you can do it yourself . Just right click the mouse and it will give u some options and choose "save image as " option and you can store it in your computer . This applies even to the Pic shared by Nagaraj .

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: January 19, 2016, 09:30:20 AM »
As prompted by Sri Ravi, I am attaching the following Divine picture of Bhagavan blessed by Bhagavan himself to Sri Annamalai Swami. Shared by Sri Sundaram Swamy. Please read the wonderful genesis below as shared by Sri Ravi:

Dear Ravi , Nagaraj

Thanks for sharing this pic of Bhagavan that was blessed by Bhagavan Himself and given to Sri Annamalai Swami . I consider this post as a divine coincidence as only yesterday morning I was talking about this to my friend and shared how this pic came to me through Sri Ravi and today I am seeing this pic here posted by Nagaraj ( as promted by Sri Ravi ) .

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: January 19, 2016, 11:19:27 AM »
Dear Nagaraj sir

Excellent Photo  of Sri Bhagavan
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: January 19, 2016, 04:12:08 PM »
Dear atmavichar,

I did as per your guidance and moved the photo of Bhagavan/Hill as a wall paper on my computer.

Thank you very much.

Arunachala Siva.