Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 314276 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #165 on: July 24, 2012, 05:55:25 AM »
Ramana/Friends,
I am posting again what one of the members here,silentgreen ,had posted;this is how every practising Hindu feels about what may seem as polytheism.
Here it is:
"During my earlier days, I did an experiment. When I felt a little devotion for one God, I used to mentally switch to another God. The same devotion gets carried over to another God. It is like learning to swim. Once you learn swimming in one pond, you can swim in all the ponds. There may be a little preference for one pond, which is natural. Also once you have learnt swimming, whereever you see a pond, you will feel like swimming."
God is peace and Love.How many different 'Love and Peace' are there?!!!

You asked this question:
"Dear Sri Ravi. Please, tell me what is you opinion about the thinking of the people of India today "

My answer is that it is quite like what silentgreen has so wonderfully expressed.This is how the devotees feel.If they Visit the temple of Lord Muruga,they feel that they are worshipping the peerless one.If they visit a temple of Lord Ganapathy,they feel that they are worshipping the Primordial one.If the visit a Durga temple,they feel that they are worshipping the Mother of all creation.Same with Vishnu,Krishna ,Rama or siva temples.
There may be vaishnavas who do not visit siva temples but only vishnu temples.This is quite okay and we recognize that that is equally good and quite in order.It is all a matter of upbringing,conviction and natural leaning.As long as they 'take a bath'(neerAjanam),that is all that matters.

This is exactly what Sri Ramakrishna says:

"The Primordial Power is ever at play. She is creating, preserving, and destroying in play,
as it were. This Power is called Kali. Kali is verily Brahman, and Brahman is verily Kali. It
is one and the same Reality. When we think of It as inactive, that is to say, not engaged in
the acts of creation, preservation, and destruction, then we call It Brahman. But when It
engages in these activities, then we call It Kali or Sakti. The Reality is one and the same;
the difference is in name and form
.(See how the Master is saying Ekam Sat;viprah bahuda vadanti-Ravi)

"It is like water, called in different languages by different names, such as 'jal', 'pani', and so
forth. There are three or four ghats on a lake. The Hindus, who drink water at one place,
call it 'jal'. The Mussalmans at another place call it 'pani'. And the English at a third place
call it 'water'. All three denote one and the same thing, the difference being in the name
only. In the same way, some address the Reality as 'Allah', some as 'God', some as
'Brahman', some as 'Kali', and others by such names as 'Rama', 'Jesus', 'Durga', 'Hari.' "

Let me categorically state that i do not have an iota of a doubt concerning this.It is clear to me like daylight :)

Namaskar.

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #166 on: July 24, 2012, 07:51:55 AM »
There may be vaishnavas who do not visit siva temples but only vishnu temples.This is quite okay and we recognize that that is equally good and quite in order.It is all a matter of upbringing,conviction and natural leaning.As long as they 'take a bath'(neerAjanam),that is all that matters.

The only thing that is not good and quite in order for me is the intolerance, the feel of superiority, the distinction 'me' and 'others'. What Sri silentgreen has depicted as his experience is the way which everyone must follow. The problem is that Vaishnavas does not consider Shiva the same God as Vishnu. Their spirit is competitive, self-sufficient. They always quarrel and try to convince other that they are right and to convert them. This has nothing in common to the way you see God and have beautifully depicted in your previous posts. No, this is not ok if this feeling of difference and intolerance continue to the end and you consider youself God-realized or saved just because you believe in the 'proper God'. Sri Ramakrishna also rejected such kind of attitude toward God. And I repeat again - what you are talking about is idealistic and does not match the current situation of the mind of most devotees of God - no matter if they are christians, hinduists, muslims or other. If you believe in what Sri Ramakrishna taught then I don't know how can you accept as ok to disgrace others who don't believe like you, to torture them (at least mentally, sometimes physically), to force them to believe like you, to ignore and reject them just because they don't believe like you, even to kill them (as some fundamentalists from every religion do) and so on. To believe in Sri Ramakrishna's or Sri Ramana's God is to accept all Reality as His manifestation, not to reject this or that. God is unity and love, not duality, separation, intolerance and hatred. I see you try to embrace all humanity in the framework of your belief. I tried too but I couldn't because it cannot be. God's Lila is too big to embrace It. God has created dualists, monists, monotheists, polytheists. We try to prove one thing and to reject the other. But this is not right. This is not the way. If we do that then we don't accept God's innumerable manifestations. All paths lead to God because there is nothing but God. So please let stop the topic about polytheism or monotheism. It really doesn't matter to me. That's why I regret that I started this topic at all. The only thing that matters is what you believe in and what you do. Let others take care of themselves and God be with them and guide them!

best wishes, ramana 1359
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 24, 2012, 09:12:46 AM »
Ramana,
"The problem is that Vaishnavas does not consider Shiva the same God as Vishnu. Their spirit is competitive, self-sufficient. They always quarrel and try to convince other that they are right and to convert them."

I do not know what you mean-perhaps you are referring to the ISCON movement;not sure of that.
There are always genuine people and there are also fanatical elements.This is true of the 'advaita' school,perhaps more so!
When we talk of any faith,we need to discuss only the true representatives and I am not at all sure whether you had read the lives of the likes of Sri RAmAnujAcharya and other Alwar saints.The Very tenet of Vaishnavism is to treat all devotees as greater than the Lord himself!
Their devotion to  'Guru' is exemplary,so much so that an advaitin like The Sage of Kanchi sets it up as  prime example.Even till date,when a Vaishnava devotee dies,the obituary reads-'He has attained the Lotus feet of the Acharya'(in tamil it sounds-AchAryan tiruvadi adainthAr') and not 'Lotus feet of God' as others do.
I do not have an outward fascination to embrace the whole of Humanity but if anyone is truly devoted to any religion or god,I suppose this will be an outcome;more so when one professes to be advaitin!The beauty ,devotion to Guru,the embracing of everyone as devotees of god,to view everyone as a devotee and to take responsibility for any fault that one sees in others as if it is one's blemish to have seen it in the first place!These are what are called Vaishnava Lakshnam,the very symbol of Vaishnava Faith that the Great AchAryAs of this wonderful tradition exemplified.
Just to add,that I do not hail from this tradition but yet,I can totally identify  with deep devotion to this wonderful Faith,and not in a patronising way.
The Vaishnava Saints have been exemplars of parabhakti.
Anyway,I will leave it here.

Namaskar.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 24, 2012, 09:38:07 AM »
I just want to explain me why some considered God-realized people reject and talk about against other views and religions? Is that right? Or is it right to condemn one just because he or she eats meat for example and to say him "Oh, you cannot realize God until you stop eating meat". You talk about Vaishnavas as people who have chosen Lord Vishnu as preferred form of the Godhead who to worship. But reality is that Vaishnavas, just as Shaivas and Christianity are sects who clain their supremacy and reject all others. This is not Sanatana Dharma. I think it is not the way all Sages have taught. That is the difference between the beatiful picture you describe and sectarianism. Sectarianism is a product of self-rightous people who thinks they are right and reject all other views. This is what Sri Ramakrishna was against. If Shaivas, Vaishnava, Shaktas, Ganapatyas, Christians or Muslims accept that they worship the same God, then the world will not be same and will change in good direction.

I don't promote Advaita and I don't say that its followers are somehow different. On the contrary - they are even more deceived because the advaitic path is very slippery and an authentic Guru is necessary to prevent the follower from the many possible illusions and mistakes. I don't make distinction between different faiths. I am just pointing out that some of their followers don't behave the way Sri Ramana or Sri Ramakrishna and others (which I consider as my authorities) regard as proper. I provoke you to make some observation of the Christian world and then tell me if they behave properly and if they follow Sanatana Dharma. And don't think that so called Hinduistic sects are so much superior in this regard. But I think all this is a part of the spiritual path everyone must pass through. I am sure that these people sooner or later by God's Grace will change and will find the true Nature of the Lord taught by the Sages from time immemorial.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 24, 2012, 01:45:12 PM »
Ramana,
"If Shaivas, Vaishnava, Shaktas, Ganapatyas, Christians or Muslims accept that they worship the same God, then the world will not be same and will change in good direction."

wonder whether we are moving on parallel tracks. :)

Let me approach it differently;Well how do I put it?Hmmm...may be through analogy of Music.
We have different varieties of Music,but let us say that for our purpose,we make use of Classical music.
We have Western Classical music and within western classical,we have the Baroque,the Classical,The Romantic,the Neoclassical periods where the same so called Classical Music undergoes change in expression while yet holding onto the same Harmonic Structure.
Likewise in India ,we have Carnatic Classical in the south and Hindustani Classical in the North and both have the same Melodic Structure based on Ragas.There are quite a many common raga forms in Carnatic and Hindustani but the Expression is different.
Now all these are Music only and all these forms of Music take the listener to something profound and deep within themselves,something noble and sublime.
On this score,we cannot expect a person who relishes Indian Classical to appreciate Western Classical and vice versa(In general.Exceptions are always there.Incidentally ,I appreciate all these forms of Music. :)
There will be people who will appreciate one style of music only;all the same it does the same thing for them as what another style of Music does for another.It quite often happens that one who appreciates Hindustani Classical may not appreciate Carnatic classical and vice versa.There will always be this difference,this limitation  in outer expression.
To revert back to the subject,what Sanatana Dharma has done is to recognize this limitation and allow one to develop along the lines best suited for the individual as determined by his upbringing and natural leaning.It does not advocate a uniform dogma or approach to be followed by one and all.
People who like to worship God in the form of Vishnu,are encouraged to do so.Those who like to worship Siva are encouraged to do so.Eventually all Recognize and emphasize Atma Sakshatkara(Self Realization).Please do not think that only advaitins emphasize atma Sakshatkara.The Visishtadvaitins as well as the Dvaitins equally emphasize Atma Sakshatkara.
In terms of our analogy,Music is paramount and forms of Classical music are only different variants to suit different temperaments and upbringing.
It is enough for a western Classical Musician to reach after perfection through that.Similiarly with the other schools of Indian Classical school.
You have asked whether Christians Follow Sanatana Dharma.I will only make this observation ,what the Sage of Kanchi used to advise to the various Christians and Muslims seeking his advice .He used to advise them:Learn and follow meticulously what the Bible and Koran has said.No need to convert oneself into 'Sanatana Dharma' since there is no such thing like 'conversion'.If they truly follow what is there in The Bible or Koran and pursue Prayer and be devoted to God,that by itself would lead them to the One God,the goal of all.
I will post more on what he said, some other time.

Namaskar.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 24, 2012, 02:10:20 PM »
That's what I am saying. But every musician appeciates other musicians, no matter they are not prone to their style. In religions we see something other. We see people who don't accept other views and try do bury them and convert everyone to their faith. I wonder how you don't see that. Apparently you have never been on Christian sermon. They only talk about how evil are muslim and hindus and how they must send missionaries to convert them to be saved; that no matter how good and rightous may they be, the mere fact that they don't recognize Jesus as the Only God is enough to be sent to hell. Or some Vaishnava sects who try to be tolerant and say "Oh, the devotees of Lord Shiva are fine. Everyone who worships the devotees of our Lord are welcome. But, oh, well, they will get mukti some other life when by Lord's mercy they began to worship our Lord Vishnu." Not to mention that sometimes these attacks are very aggressive. Is not the core of Sanatana Dharma peace, tolerance, love, acceptance? Do you recognize them among the groups I have mentioned. I appreciate your effort to unite all religions (in fact all religions are One) but it is very difficult to not see the differences in their followers. Differences which are very contrary to Sanatana Dharma and what our teachers teach us about right conduct leading to Self-realization. Difference which Sri Ramakrishna has observed but didn't accept. He proved the authenticity of all religions and that they all lead to God but He meant if they have been practiced in Sanatana Dharmic way. I doubt that He has accepted eternal hell of the christian and muslism and the Crusades. The very purpose of the religion is to overcome its boundaries, not to limit your experience and growth to the framework of its beliefs, to realize that only God exists.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 24, 2012, 02:18:27 PM »
Dear Ravi, ramana,

Sri Bhagavan also spoke on the same lines when some Westerner came to Him asking Him whether he should get converted
to Hinduism.  He said: Atma is the Only One for all. There is no difference between a Christian and a Hindu in this truth. Then
why should you change your religion?  If you are a Christian you can be a true Christian and attain the Self Realization. Once
you attain atma jnana you will understand that there is no difference between any religions or gods.

Sri Bhagavan says in Ashtakam, Verse 5: 'Like the string that holds together gems, in a necklace, You (Arunachala = Atma)
it is that penetrate and bind all beings and the various religions.......

Once a Saivite and a Vaishnavite were debating in a symposium. In the evening, after a hefty dinner in the choultry, both
slept side by side. Soon they were seen holding hands and sleeping. One observer saw this and said: Where have Siva
and Vishnu gone in your sleep?

Different deities and their forms are built-in the religion to enable one to pray to a devata that is found dear to his nature
or mind. This Ishta Devata. But one should remember all devatas are only outer expression of Atma or Brahman. There is
no higher god and lower god. All gods are the same. When the mind, which causes such thinking process is quelled, one
would realize that there is only One and Only Atma Swarupam.

Even among Christians I have seen in Bangalore (where Christian population is more in Cantonment Area), some worshipping
only Infant Jesus, some other worshipping Jesus along with Mary, and a few others only Jesus.

Arunachala Siva.                 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 24, 2012, 02:32:28 PM »
Dear ramana,

What is the most important thing is : Do not belittle another's faith or god. Do not wrangle that your god and my god - which
is superior? Stick to your god and continue your spiritual progress.

Saint Tayumanavar says in Aasai enum, verse 36:

aruLvadivu ezhum moortham
  avaigaL sopanam enre
sruti solliya vaRRale
  thozhum daivam ellam onRE
maruL enakku illai mun pin
  varum neRikku; iv vazhakkuth
theruLin munnilai Am unnaich
  chernthu yAn theLihenRenE.

The seven forms of grace (suddha viddhai, Iswaran, Sadasivam, Bindu, Natham, Sakti, Sivam) are only the deities. But
even these are only steps - says Vedas. All gods that one prays are only One in reality. There is no delusion in me.
What way is first and what next, this debate has ended and I am clear and see you and merge in you.

All delusions are only in practice-stages. On realization of Truth there is only total crystal clear clarity and no delusion.

Arunachala Siva.     

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 24, 2012, 02:41:05 PM »
What is the most important thing is : Do not belittle another's faith or god. Do not wrangle that your god and my god - which

Yes, this is the problem. Major religions and sects do exactly that. Their main 'work' is to prove they are right and others are wrong and must not be respected. The spirit which reigns in this forum for example is very difficult to be observed anywhere. Visit a christian or muslim forum and the judgemental and cold atmosphere will be feeled immediately if you are hindu for example. God forbids if you share the opinion that the soul and God are one and the same. You will be banned at the second. So, yes, all religions' purpose is the same but their follower's purpose differs greatly. :)

akash8m

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 24, 2012, 03:59:48 PM »

Yes, this is the problem. Major religions and sects do exactly that. Their main 'work' is to prove they are right and others are wrong and must not be respected. The spirit which reigns in this forum for example is very difficult to be observed anywhere. Visit a christian or muslim forum and the judgemental and cold atmosphere will be feeled immediately if you are hindu for example. God forbids if you share the opinion that the soul and God are one and the same. You will be banned at the second. So, yes, all religions' purpose is the same but their follower's purpose differs greatly. :)

Sri Ramakrishna said in a similar thing about different religions, which is very appropriate here:

"So long as the bee is outside the petals of the lotus, and has not tasted its honey, it hovers round the flower, emitting its buzzing sound; but when it is inside the flower, it drinks its nectar noiselessly. So long as a man quarrels and disputes about doctrines and dogmas, he has not tasted the nectar of true faith; when he has tasted it he becomes still."

- Ramakrishna
RAMAKRISHNA - HIS LIFE AND SAYINGS: F. MAX MULLER:

Very good book to read.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 24, 2012, 04:40:07 PM »
Dear akash8m,

Nice comparison. Thank you.

Dear ramana,

In the days prior to entry of Mohammadanism and Christianity, Hindus praying to various gods - like Saktas, Saivites and
Vaishnavites, there were only fights which were debated. There was no fist fight or even any other threats by one to another.
In Tiruvidai maruthur, when Saivites had debate with Sri Sankara who was advocating Advaita, they finally said: We will go
to Mahalinga Swami Temple and seek final judgement from Him. Sri Sankara agreed and they all went and Sri Sankara
went inside and proclaimed Advaitam satyam, Adviatam satyam, Advaitam satyam... three times. A hand appeared from the
Siva Lingam and showed approval three times!  This is in Sankara Vijayam.

In Padmapada's case it was slightly more cruel. He was a Vaishnavite but took Advaitam as the real experience, became the
disciple of Sri Sankara, Once he wanted to go to Rameswaram Temple and Sri Sankara who knew his future, reluctantly
agreed. He went to Srirangam first to meet his maternal uncle, who was a staunch Vaishnavite. He spent a day with him.
His uncle saw the palm leaves containing his beautiful work Panchapadiga. He just for the sake of destroying that book told
Padmapada that he would like to read that book. Padmapada agreed and left the book and then proceeded to Rameswaram.
The uncle thought how to destroy the book in a safe way. He kept the book inside his house and burnt the entire house.
On his return Padmapada asked for the book and the uncle explained: I am sorry, the whole house is burnt due to some
mishap. Your book also got burnt. I am sorry, very very sorry. Padamapada said coolly: do not worry uncle. The whole book
is known to me by heart. I shall write it again after joining my Guru Sri Sankara, in Sringeri after a few days. The uncle became
crestfallen. He thought how his plan got frustrated. Next morning, before Padmapada could proceed his journey, he mixed something
in his food and asked him to eat and go. Padmapada ate and in a few minutes, he became mad. He was crying and laughing.
Very safely, his friends who had accompanied him took him to Sri Sankara in Sringeri. The friends told the whole story. Padmapada
wept. Sri Sankara said: Do not worry. Only your mind is temporarily out of normal state. But what I have taught and what you have
written as a commentary, is in your Heart. And Heart will never be affected. After sometime you will be alright. With guru's
grace, Padmapada became alright in a few weeks. Padmapada remembered all that he had written. Sri Sankara sat with him
and guided him word by word to re-write the book!

These two are simple examples. But what happened with Moslems? They showed the sword and converted the Hindus under
compulsion. Hindus had no other way to save their lives. In Christianity,  when the British came, the missionaries lured Hindus
-particularly the down caste people - by giving money, food, clothing and shelter. The poor could not resist. That is why you
can see a large number of Hindus converted to Christanity, in southern districts of Tamzih Nadu and Kerala.  In north, since
people were somewhat resisting and therefore there is no converted Hindus into Christianity in Uttara Pradesh and other
northern states of India. Again the missionaries lured the north east India people with money and you can find a lot of
Hindus converted to Christianity in Eastern Bihar, Assam and Manipur etc.,

Arunachala Siva.                     

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 24, 2012, 04:58:29 PM »
Thank you both for these beautiful examples.

Sri Subramanian, this is what I am talking about. They show me two things:

1. The devotees of the different religions do not believe that their God is the same as the God of the other religions.

2. This kind of behavior is not in alignment with spirituality at all. This is just "spiritual egocentrism". This kind of thinking does not lead to spiritual advancement because such people do not even have the intention to destroy their ego, much less to try to do it.

3. There are exceptions. Padmapada's story is such an example.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 25, 2012, 09:08:42 AM »
Friends,
Who is a Vaishnava?A song by the Great saint Narsi Mehta:
        Vaishnav jan to tene kahiye je
        [One who is a vaishnav]   
        PeeD paraayi jaaNe re
        [Knows the pain of others]
        Par-dukhkhe upkaar kare toye
        [Does good to others, esp. to those ones who are in misery] 
        Man abhimaan na aaNe re
        [Does not let pride enter his mind]
        Vaishnav...

SakaL lok maan sahune vande
        [A Vaishnav, Tolerates and praises the the entire world]
        Nindaa na kare keni re
        [Does not say bad things about anyone]
        Vaach kaachh man nishchaL raakhe
        [Keeps his/her words, actions and thoughts pure]
        Dhan-dhan janani teni re
        [O Vaishnav, your mother is blessed (dhanya-dhanya)]

Vaishnav...

Sam-drishti ne trishna tyaagi
        [A Vaishnav sees everything equally, rejects greed and avarice] 
        Par-stree jene maat re
        [Considers some one else's wife/daughter as his mother]
        Jivha thaki asatya na bole
        [The toungue may get tired, but will never speak lies]
        Par-dhan nav jhaalee haath re
        [Does not even touch someone else's property]
        Vaishnav...

Moh-maaya vyaape nahi jene
        [A Vaishnav does not succumb to worldly attachments]
        DriDh vairaagya jena man maan re
        [Who has devoted himself to stauch detachment to worldly 
        pleasures]
        Ram naam shoon taaLi laagi
        [Who has been edicted to the elixir coming by the name of Ram]
        SakaL tirath tena tan maan re
        [For whom all the religious sites are in the mind]
        Vaishnav...

VaN-lobhi ne kapaT-rahit chhe
        [Who has no greed and deciet]
        Kaam-krodh nivaarya re
        [Who has renounced lust of all types and anger] 
        BhaNe Narsaiyyo tenun darshan karta
        [The poet Narsi will like to see such a person]
        KuL ekoter taarya re
        [By who's virtue, the entire family gets salvation]
        Vaishnav...

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 25, 2012, 09:16:28 AM »
Friends,
The Story of Narsi Mehta by Swami Sivananda:

Narsi Mehta belonged to a Vadanagar Nagar-Brahmin family of Junagarh in Kathiawar, Gujarat. He was born of a very poor family. From his very boyhood he had great devotion to Lord Krishna. He lived with his brother. All the time he kept singing songs on Krishna and Gopi Lila and dancing in ecstasy. As he did not care a bit for any of the household matters and as he did not earn anything, his brother's wife taunted and ill-treated him. Narsi Mehta never entertained any idea of earning his livelihood. He had the firm conviction that Lord Krishna would provide him with all his wants. This was due to his previous Samskaras. He was of a happy-go-lucky nature. He did Tapasya at Gopinath, situated on the seaside. He had the Darshan of Lord Krishna through the grace of Lord Siva. He came back to his house and got married. He had a son by name Shyamaldass and a daughter by name Kunwarbai.

Narsi Mehta was a contemporary of Mira Bai. He had Sakhya Bhav. He would address Lord Krishna in terms of equality. He was a simple-minded, frank Bhakta. He saw Lord Krishna everywhere and in everything. He had Para Bhakti and cosmic consciousness. He composed a poem 'Hari Mala'. It is said that his daughter's marriage was conducted by Lord Krishna Himself with great pomp and eclat. Though Narsi Mehta was very poor, rich marriage-presents given to Kunwarbai's mother-in-law greatly astonished all.

Many miracles happened in Narsi Mehta's life. He had direct Darshan of Lord Krishna on several occasions. Once he was moving with his brother along a road. He was very hungry. He could not get any food on the way. There Lord Krishna took the form of a shepherd boy and gave him good food in a small cottage. Narsi asked his orthodox brother to partake of the food and said to him that it was Lord Krishna Himself who was serving him. His brother had no faith. Narsi and his brother continued their journey onwards. Narsi's brother forgot to take his vessel from the cottage. He ran back to the place and found out the vessel, but there was neither cottage nor shepherd boy. It was all the grace of Krishna, who served His Bhakta to keep up His word in the Gita:

Ananyaschityanto Mam Ye Janah Paryupasate Tesham Nityabhiyuktanam Yogakshemam Vahamyaham (Ch. IX-22)

Narsi's brother repented very much for not taking food along with Narsi.
On another occasion, Narsi was performing his father's Sraddha (the annual offering of Pindas to the departed souls). There was shortage of ghee. Narsi went to the bazaar to purchase ghee. On the way he met a Sankirtan party and joined them. He began singing Hari Bhajans and dancing in an ecstatic mood. He entirely forgot all about Sraddha and ghee. His poor wife was waiting and waiting anxiously for him. Two miracles happened then. It was all Krishna's grace to help His Bhakta. The first miracle was that the sun did not move a bit in the firmament. It stood still. Nobody knew how much time had actually passed. Secondly, Lord Krishna assumed the form of Narsi, brought ghee and handed it over to Narsi's wife. She gave mild rebuke also to Krishna who was there acting the part of Narsi. All the Brahmins were nicely fed. They departed with joy. The function was over. Narsi's wife started arranging the things and cleaning the room and the verandah. Then came Narsi with ghee in hand and apologised to his wife for coming late.

After the death of his wife and son, Narsi became more free. He began devoting all his time to worship and singing of Bhajans. He became an Ativarnashrami. He broke down all caste rules and observances. He held Kirtan everywhere, even in the houses of sweepers and men of inferior caste. The other Nagar-Brahmins hated Narsi and also outcasted him. They refused to admit him in one of their feasts. Another miracle happened now. A Dom or a man of inferior caste was found by the side of each Brahmin. The haughty Nagar-Brahmins were cowed down. They began to show respect to Narsi. They openly admitted and declared that Narsi Mehta was a great Bhakta.

The world has not produced a Bhakta greater than Narsi in this Yuga. Narsi's devotion was of a unique nature. He has pointed out to the world the true path of devotion. That is the reason why he still lives in our hearts, why his inspiring song, " Vaishnava Janato Thene Kahiye", which gives a fine description of a true Vaishnava, is sung even today by all the Bhaktas.

Glory to Narsi! Glory to Hari! Glory to His Name!

Narsi Mehta's song was a Great inspiration for Mahatma Gandiji and it was always sung in all the meetings that Gandhiji addressed.It is wonderfully rendered by smt M S Subbulakshmi,a Great devotee herself.
Namaskar.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 21, 2012, 12:19:47 AM »
Dear Ravi.N, Beautiful story,i love it! I didnt know anything about Narsi Mehta,and i am glad to read this. Thank you!