Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 366260 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #1620 on: November 01, 2015, 08:05:31 AM »

Sri Sankara-out-caste meeting:

There are several interpretations for Sankara-Out-caste meeting on the banks of Ganga.
Sankara was always in Swarupam, the Self and he had none others in the world excepting
Swarupam. Why then this whole drama?  The fact remains that in objective world, some
differences are bound to be there and even a Jnani cannot escape it and he has to stage a
drama sometimes on this issue.  Even though Bhagavan Ramana had no caste distinctions,
in the Asramam those days, they had separate sittings/batches for Brahmins and  non-brahmins
and Bhagavan Ramana used to sit on the mid point facing both the sittings separated by a
wooden screen!  The culture of the times has to be obeyed.

Janaka, the king one day welcomed a group of brahmins to his palace.  The brahmins brought with
them, four cows, some brahmin students and two harlots.  King Janaka sent the brahmin boys
to the Veda school inside the palace, the cows to the cowshed and the harlots to his harem.  The
brahmins asked him:  You are an advaiti.  How come, you are differentiating?  The king did not reply.
Soon the lunch time came.  King Janaka offered some grass to the brahmins but not food.  The brahmins
grew red in their faces.  The king asked them politely:  In pure advaita, the cows and the brahmins are
one and the same, why not you eat grass?

Today, in Indian context, we see new classes being formed with old caste system given a go by.
So, differentiation is bound to be there.  It took more than 400 years to have an Afro-American as
President of the United States!     

The ancient Sages therefore did not bother about the differences in the objective world.  Instead,
they looked within and found out the profound oneness in Heart.

A Jnani can be anywhere.  Yoga Vasishtam says:  If you do not find a Jnani in the brahmin street, go
and look for him in a out-caste's street!  Each one should search for a Jnani to be his Guru and he
should show such a mighty hurry as if his head is on fire.  The Tamizh classic, Periya Puranam shows
only this.  Many of the 63 devotees were out-castes and non brahmins.  A few were only kings.
Still fewer were Brahmins.

A brahmin got drowned in the river.  He is in a hurry to save his life.  Would he wait for a brahmin
to come and save him?  Even if a Christian comes, he will show his raised hands and cry to
save him.  But on land, Brahmin and Christian are different.

In Karma each one has got a different path.  But in Jnana there is only one path, and that is the
royal path.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: November 01, 2015, 08:07:45 AM »

Once when Sankara was in Sri Sailam, where there were a huge number of Bhairavas, the Siva
devotees who indulged in human sacrifices, liquor drinking etc.,  one such Bairava came to Sankara
and asked him:  You are a Brahma Jnani, you do not have body consciousness.  Why don't you give
your body as sacrifice for our god?  Sankara readily agreed.  Sankara was placed on a high seat,
garlanded.  There was terrific noise of drums.  The Bairava was about to swish the sword on Sankara.
A lion came just in time and pounced on him and tore him into pieces!  The devotees of Bairava ran for
their lives.

Such was Sankara's dhana, offering!

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: November 02, 2015, 06:36:02 AM »

Happiness or Sukam is from the world.  Anandam or Bliss is from Atma Jnana and self realization.
The worldly pursuits and achievements thereof, would confer one happiness and this is achieved by
valor, book learning, great karmas etc.,  But this only ends up in misery and death.

Duryodhana and Ravana had great valor.  Ravana had additional qualification of vedic-music and book learning.  But they had  vainglorious death.  But Vidhura had Atma Jnana and he did not even take part
in the war.  Arjuna forgot the Jnana conferred by Krishna after the war and Atma Jnana Upadesa had
to be taught to him again later by Krishna.  (See Srimad Bhagavatam)

Sukam or Bliss comes only from Atma Jnana.  And that is why great Jnanis like Bhagavan Ramana and
Guhai Namasivaya in Tiruvannamalai lived a life of simplicity, without even enamored
by siddhic powers.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: November 03, 2015, 06:52:07 AM »

In the beginning, it is good to keep one Guru and one God for praying and meditation.  But in due
course, you will find all gods are your god's form and all gurus are your guru's form.  I had a friend
of mine, who used to pray to Venkateswara as Tirupati Muruga!  It is not matter for laughing.  It is true.
Even today, I go to Murugan's temple near by every Monday. There,  I pray to Muruga,
'Annamalai Muruga!'.  In fact, the Muruga called Gopura Subrahmanya and Subrahmanya at
the Pillar [from where Arunagiri Natha had a vision of Muruga's dancing when he was having debate
with Sambandha Andan in Tiruvannamalai] at the Northern Towers of Tiruvannamalai are not different
from the Bangalore Muruga for me.  Then, I see Ganapati and pray: Annmalai Ganesha!'
In fact, the Ganapti called Thirai Konda Vinayakar [ a small stone image at the Northern Towers of Tiruvannamalai; there is a story behind his name, thirai konda... this Ganapti took
monthly privy purse from a robber king whom he threatened, when the king had come to plunder Tiruvannamalai!]  This Thirai konda Vinayaka is the same as the Ganapati in this nearby temple for me.  Similarly I pray to Annamalai Narayana, before the stone image of Narayana and Annamalai Nataraja
before the beautiful Natarja metal icon in the same temple. All gurus are Ramana for me.  This is a definite attitude that I have developed.

Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni sings in  Sri Ramana Gita: 

"I pray to the Maharshi who is Skanda.  He is not different from Skanda of Tiruttani or Swamimalai
or in Tirupati. He is very much here in Virupaksha Cave.  Why differentiate?"
This is the Truth.   

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: November 03, 2015, 09:23:37 AM »
Tiru Chaththi Nayanar:  One of the 63 Saints of Siva:

Ippasi - Pushya Star Day.

Inychaiyur,   a fertile land with the lotuses growing in the ponds of honey they produce, was in the
Chozha kingdom.   In the tradition of farmers for the fame of the village standing in the history there
born the devotee who kept his heart that was made in the honey of love to the ornated raised Feet
that is rare for even the devas,  starting from Maha Vishnu.  With nothing in the heart but love, love
and love for the Lord of all creatures, he would cut off the tongues that malign the devotees of the
Black-throated Lord. As he used to cut the blaspheming tongues with a weapon named Chaththi,
he was called Chaththiyar. While the criticisms would always help in the development of the society
and religious practices, thoughtless blasphemy is something that should be condemned. Nayanar
sent a warning signal by his service not to malign the devotees who are on their way towards the
Perfect being - the Lord Siva. He continued the service of protecting the fame of the devotees with
his valor throughout his life.  He finally reached the shade of the Lord's feet who ripped apart the skin
of the fierce elephant that tortured the devotees.  Let the valor and love mixed service of c
Chaththi Nayanar stay in the mind.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: November 03, 2015, 11:33:13 AM »

Guru Yoga - Padma Padam:

The guruyoga is a splendid expression.  What is yoga? It is union.  All gurus are in union as one.
Again you the word  "Padmasambahva", one who is born on lotus. The lotus or kamalam, Padmam,
in Sanskrit is quite meaningful and pregnant with inner meanings too.  All Gurus are called
Padmam.  Guru's feet are always prayed as lotus.  They say in Sanskrit 'Saranaravindam - Lotus feet.'  Aravindam is another name for lotus. Muruganar uses this word Aravindam, for describing Bhagavan Ramana's lotus feet in his various compositions.  Saint poet Manikkavachagar uses the word lotus at
least 50 times in his famous Tiruvachakam.  One of Sankara's disciple is called Padmapada.
Lotus or Padmam is quite insightful.  It is used to describe the God/Guru's form, his feet, his face,
his eyes, his heart, her breasts [if she is a goddess as in the case of Abhirami or Lalita] etc.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: November 05, 2015, 07:22:45 AM »

I am following these as some of the practices:

1.  Whenever a person who is lower than me in economic strata, like an auto rickshaw driver or
a cab driver or a vegetable or fruit vendor tries to take more money than what I should actually pay,
I do not mind.  You are giving him Rs 2 more and you are giving yourself a lot of happiness,
because he leaves you saying a Tank you... in broken English.

2.  For temple priests, I give money and unless the temple is really in dire straits, I do not put
money in the Hundi, I give it to the priests.

3.  When someone jumps the queue in any place, be it temple, or a supermarket,, or a
telephone bill payment counter, or a bank,  I do not pick up a quarrel with him/her.

4.  Whenever the mischievous boy in the opposite flat rings my door bell and runs away before
open the door, I do not yell at him.  He has been doing this regularly. Nowadays, if I do not get
thing bogus-ring I get uneasy! 

There could be many other occasional happenings like these.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: November 07, 2015, 01:04:54 PM »
Recent Pic of Arunachala that I found in FB

« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 06:26:29 PM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: November 09, 2015, 03:23:03 PM »
When I was a Little Girl:

Kitty Osborne:

(Mountain Path -July - Sept,   2015)

When I was a little girl our lives, in fact our whole world centered around the Old Hall.  The Samadhi
Hall of course had not been built yet.. it was a dusty piece of ground with a few sleeping dogs and
strutting peacocks.  What is now a window opposite Bhagavan's couch was another door and we all
gathered in the Hall to be with Bhagavan.  Sometimes, in fact often, there were long periods of silence
but often too there was talk.. just chat and lots of laughter. Bhagavan loved a good joke and was at
times very funny.  The thing I remember most vividly is how we all came to Bhagavan with our stories,
our problems and our bits of gossip from home. Mostly the conversation was in Tamizh which my brother
and sister and I spoke pretty well as we had learned it way the children do....with ease and speed. However, in kindness to the foreigners everyone spoke English.  There was David McIver..my uncle
David, Major Chadwick whom I liked because he always treated us children with respect and kindness,
there was Miss Merston whom to be honest, I did not like, but in fairness I have to say that was entirely
mutual and she positively loathed me and there were my parents, Mr.Cohen from Baghdad and also
the mysterious Czech Mr.Mazach (no idea of the correct spelling) but we lived in his house for a couple of years and now it is a bakery and restaurant.   And there was Uma Devi, the Polish lady as well as
the American Rappolds and any number of others. Of course, the regulars in the Hall included Viswanthan, Venkataramiah, Devaraja Mudaliar, and Dr.T.N.K., who took almost all the photos as he
as the only person allowed by Chinnaswami to use a camera in the Asramam and any number of others.
As children, in spite of being the only English ones around, we were not a bit conscious of being in any
different to any other children as by and large I think children are far less color or background conscious
than adults and anyway most of us were sand or dust colored most of the time.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.                   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: November 10, 2015, 06:51:07 AM »

Tests put forth by god by way of misery and pain, should be overcome by one's own perseverance.
There is no way out.  Painkillers are not the way to overcome pain [as in the case of Michael Jackson].  Persevarence and forbearance alone helps.  You can understand this from this story.

A mangoose, after Dharmaputra's great yaga [sacrificial rights] where thousands were fed,
came to roll on the left overs of food.  This mangoose had its one side golden and the other
side normal.  After rolling over the left overs, the mangoose told Dharmaputra:  Your yaga
[penance] is useless.  My other side has not got golden color.  Dharmaputra was wondering: 
"What!  I have spent gold coins like water and conducted this mass feeding and you are not happy?"
The mangoose said:  "Yes.  What is the use of having pots of gold and spending a small portion of it for feeding others. You have not left yet your pride.  Listen to this story.  I had been to a poor man's
house.  He used to get three dry rotis [bread loaves] from God everyday.  He used to lend one
to the poorer man at his house entrance and then feed himself and his wife with the two remaining
loaves.  One day, I went there.  After feeding the poorer man at the gate, he and his wife were
about to eat the remaining two loaves.  When I went there, he gave me one loaf.  I said I was still
hungry.  His wife readily gave me the another loaf.  After my eating, there were some crumbs on
the floor.  He and his wife took those crumbs and then drank water and went to bed.  I rolled
on that floor, I became golden on one my side!  I came to your palace to test that self-abnegation.
But it is not there! Perseverance, self abnegation, self control are the essentials for any good act in life."   

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: November 10, 2015, 09:43:25 AM »

When I was a little girl:

Kitty Osborne:

continues....

Everyone showed Bhagavan their letters, either from home about family or if they were of significance
in any other way, and Bhagavan took a keen interest in it all.  He knew who was related to whom
and would explain obscure connections to others who were perhaps not so well up in family association.
He had a light voice, which runs into his family I think, but it was quite distinctive. This is the first time when my mother brought to Bhagavan a letter from me in school when at the end I asked  to be
remembered to Bhagavan and he memorably said, 'If Kitty remembers Bhagavan, then Bhagavan
will remember Kitty.'  That remark of His helped me though many of life's vicissitudes in times
to come.     

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: November 11, 2015, 08:30:43 AM »
Guru Gita - some verses:

There are some verses extolling the guru-bhakti and surrender.
I am giving only English translations.

Verse 178:-  Having drunk to the full Brahmarasa and satisfied
in the Paramatman, the Sages of realization consider Indra
as a mere straw and then what to speak of ordinary kings of the
world?

Verse 179:-  The seekers after liberation should at all times develop
Guru bhakti, because by following the path shown by the Guru,
one attains the Supreme auspiciousness and the state of Kaivalya.

Verse 180:-  'I am one and one alone without a second'  --
whoever thus practices constant meditation as a result of the
advice of the Guru with a firm determination, need not take recourse
to the forest for hard penances.

Verse 189:-  O Devi!  this is the advice in the path of Guru-marga
which is capable of bestowing mukti.  Therefore, Guru bhakti
should be practiced by all with great devotion and faith.

Verse 192:-  One may be engaged in Siva Puja or deeply immersed in Vishnu Puja, but
if he is without a knowledge of the Guru Tattva, all his learning is a mere waste.

Verse 193:-  If worship of Siva is done without knowing the real nature of Guru, that worship
is for the mere name's sake.  My dear Parvati, it is like a lamp drawn on a paper [which will not
light the house].

Verse 194:-  By the glory and efficacy of Guru-diksha, all your actions bear fruit.  By the
attainment of a Guru, one attains everything.  One without a Guru is a mere fool.

Verse 195:-  Since on does not understand the nature of Siva
and one's own Self by himself, one without a Guru can be said
to be a mere animal, worm or a firefly.

Verse 196:-  Therefore discarding all kinds of contacts with
people, by all possible means, giving up all comforts of the
scriptures, one should depend on the Guru only.

The Guru Gita thus shows what it means to surrender to a Higher Power. It puts in perspective Bhagavan Ramana's words: "Surrender appears easy because people imagine that, once they say with their lips 'I surrender'....., they can be free and do what they like.  But the fact is that you can have no likes and dislikes after you surrender and that your will should become completely non-existent."  [Devaraja Mudaliar, Day by Day, entry dated 2nd Jan 1946).

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: November 11, 2015, 08:35:02 AM »
Guru Gita:  Some verses:

Prarabdha is the allocation of happiness and misery for the current birth.  All of us have to
experience them.  One can attain Jnana and conquer the future allocation of such misery and
happiness, by realizing the Self, because there is no future births for a Jnani. The remaining
balance of happiness and suffering [which have to be met with in future births] also gets cancelled.
But the present allocation has to be suffered.  But Bhagavan Ramana says that even
the present allocation does not 'affect' a Jnani even though it is there, since he has no body-mind consciousness!  It is like all the three wives becoming widows when their common husband dies!
When Dasarata died, one cannot say that Kausalya alone remained a Sumangali and not a widow!

But, then why this dangerous terminal cancer for Bhagavan?
There are different theories. 

Agami  -  Total balance of merits and demerits.

Prarabdha -  The current allocation.

Sanchaya - Future allocations.

Your present birth's merits and demerits add up to the score
of total balance of allocation!

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: November 11, 2015, 09:40:07 AM »
When I was a little girl:
Kitty Osborne:

continues......

Every morning He read the newspapers and Mouni Swami would bring in the post.  Some letters
were obviously private but some would be discussed with everyone.  We all liked to get into the
act when things of general interest were on the agenda.  If the conversation turned to matters
of philosophy or someone's personal problems, Bhagavan would sometimes refer to some book
from His revolving bookcase which is now kept in His Samadhi room.  At 9 or 10  o'clock Bhagavan
would go a walk up the Hill for about 3/4 of an hour or so.  Once apparently He and His attendant
decided to walk on to Skandasramam so they were late back.  The monkeys around the Hall went
crazy!  They were screaming and anxiety and worry until He got back and they would relax.  Bhagavan
also went for a walk on the Hill at about 3 or 4 in the afternoon.  The rest of the time He sat on
His couch and the Hall was either full of chat as I have said, or filled with the impenetrable special
silence that could surround Him and make Him as aloof as the sun.

Bhagavan loved to hear the Vedas and when the Pujaris came in and sat near His couch and started
to sing, then He sat up straight and listened with intense concentration.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: November 11, 2015, 01:20:06 PM »
Guru Gita -Some verses:

Verses 98 and 135 also describe the worship of Guru.

dorbhyam padbhyam-cha janubhyamurasa sirasa drisa
manasa vachasa chei pranamo'shtanga uchyate

-  Verse 98

One should prostrate to the Guru fully lying flat on the ground
with both hands, legs, knees, thighs, head, by sight, mind
and speech.  This kind of full prostration (where body, mind
and senses are involved)  is Sashtanga Pranama.

Prostrations by folding one's hands half-heartedly, without raising them above the head, are not prostrations.  These modern varieties
speak of egoism and these should not be definitely followed in
respect of Guru.  Saiva Siddhantam speaks of four types of
prostrations.  1) to mother, by holding the folded hands on the
belly, because it is from this mother gave birth to you.  2) to
others, by touching the Heart, implying that the Brahman stays
in the Heart for both you and me.  3) to elders and gods, by holding the folded hands on the forehead, implying that the elders and gods should guide him for a good intellect.  4) to Guru, by raising the
folded hands above skull implying that it is he who guides him to
higher levels of understanding.  Then the full fledged namskarams should be done.]         

drisya-vismriti-paryantam kuryad-gudu padarchanam
tadrisayaiva kaivalyam nacha-tadvyatirekinah.

-  Verse 135

One should worship the Feet of the Sadguru till the 'seen' disappears
-- absence of duality.  To those only there is liberation and not to
those who act in contradiction.

Guru padam, Feet become object of worship till one attains Self
realization, whereafter the devotee and Guru are the One Brahman, without second.  Till such time, duality must be maintained.  Bhagavan Ramana says in ULLadu Narpadu -Anubandham, that the advaitam should be practised everywhere with everyone, but not with Guru till one realizes the Self.  Guru must be worhsipped with Trikaranas, mind, body and speech.  This is the import of the verse.  The spirit of service and attitude of a servitor should be never forgotten.

{Maurice Frydman once asked Bhagavan Ramana:  "Swami, if everything is advaitam, why should there be a difference between you and me?  Why not I come and sit with you in the sofa.  Bhagavan Ramana replied:  Why not?  You come and sit beside me?  Then Maurice Frydman said with a smile:  Bhagavan!  If I sit with you, you may perhaps not mind it.  But the people here would lynch me and throw me out of this Asramam like a bag of waste vegetable!  Bhagavan Ramana then laughed and said:  "You have yourself now understood.  Reach that state, when you can sit with me!"  In fact, no one sat with Bhagavan Ramana in the sofa in His life time or thereafter, with the possible exception of Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni.  Bhagavan Himself pulled him from the floor and made him sit with Him once for a photograph!}

Arunachala Siva.