Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 379663 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #1605 on: October 18, 2015, 09:41:01 AM »

In 1936, Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni, one of the foremost disciples of Bhagavan Ramana, merged
with the Pure Space.

Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni, was a person of multi-feceted talents and attainments in life.  He was a
great scholar in Sanskrit literature, an ashtavadani, a person who could attend to 8 jobs at the same
time!  He was a prolific writer and he has done intense tapas in Tiruvannamalai and other 30 centres
in India!  He lived in some place with just plaintain fruits skin, to continue his penance!  He got the
title Kavyakanta after a debate in Bengal.  He was an exponent in Vedas and Vedic astronomy and
astrology.

Kavyakanta Ganapati was also a prolific Sakti upasaka.  He had displayed supernatural powers due to
this Sakti Upasana.  One day, on a hot summer afternoon, when he chanted Sri Lalita Sahasranamam,
rain drops fell on him, in Arunachala Hill.

His association with Bhagavan Ramana dates back from 1907.  On 18th November 1907, he was
given the famous upadesa from Bhagavan Ramana, i.e. to go into the Source of the sound of his
mantra chanting.  He went to Pazhani Swami and asked for the full name of Bhagavan Ramana.
When Pazhani Swami said:  He is Venkatarama Iyer, Kavyakanta started calling Him, as Sri
Ramana Maharshi.  And Bhagavan's name as Sri Ramana Maharshi, came with this naming by
Ganapati Muni.

Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni had many other interests.  He was in Congress party for some years.
He started a group called Indra Sabha to practice mantra-japa for the country's freedom
and all round welfare.  He compiled the famous Sri Ramana Gita, containing Bhagavan Ramana's
teachings.  He also wrote Sad Darsanam, a Sanskrit rendering of Bhagavan's ULLadu Narpadu
and a commentary for that too in Sanskrit.  Later Kapali Sastri wrote the commentary for
Sri Ramana Gita, called Sri Ramana Gita  Prakasa.

Among Bhagavan's devotees, Sri Viswanatha Swami moved with Ganapati Muni closely, since he
was also a Sanskrit scholar.  Ramanatha Brahmachari also moved with him closely due to his
Congress-connections.  Of course, Kapali Sastri, Gajananan, Daivarata, Mahadevan [Ganapti Muni's son]
were all his direct disciples.  Smt Visalakshi was his wife and she had mastered Tara mantra, a Sakti Mantra and became famous for her own achievements in mantra sastra.  She was in fact, one of the questioners
in Sri Ramana Gita.  She passed away earlier to Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni.

One Guntur Suryakantam, has written a detailed biography on Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni, in Telugu.
Sri Ramanasramam has brought out a small biography on Ganapati Muni, in Tamizh, by Dr. Krupanandan.

One Mr. Natesan in Tiruvannamalai, has brought out the complete works of Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni
in about 10 volumes.  Sri Natesan passed away recently.

Arunachala Siva.   

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: October 18, 2015, 11:58:52 AM »
Mystery of God's ways
Those who lead a householder's life should practise spiritual discipline; they should pray eagerly to God in solitude. (To Mr. Choudhury) God cannot be realized through scholarship. Who, indeed, can understand the things of the Spirit through reason? No, all should strive for devotion to the Lotus Feet of God.
Infinite are the glories of God! How little can you fathom them! Can you ever find out the meaning of God's ways?
Bhishma was none other than one of the eight Vasus, but even he shed tears on his bed of arrows. He said: 'How astonishing! God Himself is the companion of the Pandava brothers, and still there is no end to their troubles and sorrows!' Who can ever understand the ways of God?
A man thinks, 'I have practised a little prayer and austerity; so I have gained a victory over others.' But victory and defeat lie with God. I have seen a prostitute dying in the Ganges and retaining consciousness to the end.

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: October 18, 2015, 12:01:25 PM »
However much a bhakta may experience physical joy and sorrow, he always has knowledge and the treasure of divine love. This treasure never leaves him. Take the Pandava brothers for instance. Though they suffered so many calamities, they did not lose their God-Consciousness even once. Where can you find men like them, endowed with so much knowledge and devotion?

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: October 19, 2015, 08:23:23 AM »

Guru Gita:

There are some verses extolling the guru-bhakti and surrender. I am giving only English translations.

Verse 178:-  Having drunk to the full Brahmarasa and satisfied in the Paramatman, the Sages of
realization consider Indra as a mere straw and then what to speak of ordinary kings of the
world?

Verse 179:-  The seekers after libration should at all times develop Guru bhakti, because by following
the path shown by the Guru, one attains the Supreme auspiciousness and the state of Kaivalya.

Verse 180:-  'I am one and one alone without a second'  -- whoever thus practices constant meditation
as a result of the advice of the Guru with a firm determination, need not take recourse to the forest for
hard penances.

Verse 189:-  O Devi!  this is the advice in the path of Guru-marga which is capable of bestowing Mukti.  Therefore, Guru bhakti should be practiced by all with great devotion and faith.

Verse 192:-  One may be engaged in Siva Puja or deeply immersed in Vishnu Puja, but if he is
without a knowledge of the Guru tattva, all his learning is a mere waste.

Verse 193:-  If worship of Siva is done without knowing the real nature of Guru, that worship is for
the mere name's sake.  My dear Parvati, it is like a lamp drawn on a paper [which will not
light the house].

Verse 194:-  By the glory and efficacy of Guru-diksha, all your actions bear fruit.  By the attainment of
a Guru, one attains everything.  One without a Guru is a mere fool.

Verse 195:-  Since on does not understand the nature of Siva and one's own Self by himself, one without a Guru can be said to be a mere animal, worm or a firefly.

Verse 196:-  Therefore discarding all kinds of contacts with people, by all possible means, giving up all comforts of the scriptures, one should depend on the Guru only.

The Guru Gita thus shows what it means to surrender to a Higher Power. It puts in perspective Bhagavan Ramana's words: "Surrender appears easy because people imagine that, once they say with their lips 'I surrender'....., they can be free and do what they like.  But the fact is that you can have no likes and dislikes after you surrender and that your will should become completely non-existent."

[Devaraja Mudaliar, Day by Day, entry dated 2nd Jan 1946).

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: October 20, 2015, 07:33:25 AM »

In the world's philosophy, the greatest blunder was committed by Dascretes who said:
I think, therefore I am!

Nothing can be farther from truth than this.  One does not become Real, just because he is thinking.
One is Real and therefore he thinks.  Even this thinking is not necessary to realize the Real, the Self.
There are plants and animals , which do not think as we do, but they are Real.  They know their reality
within.  They can not tell it outside, that is all.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: October 20, 2015, 08:44:23 AM »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: October 24, 2015, 07:51:20 AM »

Ganapati's stone image can be seen in any towns or villages in Tamizh Nadu.  There is no need for an elaborate temple.  On the banks of rivers and tanks, under a banyan or peepul tree, one can see Ganapati.  But there are some specific temples and shrines for Ganapati in Tamizh Nadu.

Starting from Chennai, in the city, the temple in Tiruvallikeni near the beach of Bay of Bengal, is very
popular.  He is a quite powerful and popular deity that students throng him for good results after examinations.

In Thanjavur town, there is a Ganapati deity, on the outer portal of a Devi temple.  This deity is called High Court Ganapati!  I believe there was some tussle between two groups of devotees as to where to place this deity and High Court gave a verdict to place it at the entrance of Devi Temple!  Near Thanjavur, on the banks of Kaveri river, there is a village called Ganapati Agraharam, where there is a small but good temple for Ganapati.  There were brahmins in the past who were doing fire sacrifices and were following exclusive
Ganapati worship, called Gaanapatyam by Sankara.

Down south, in Tiruchirapalli, on the vertical heaps of shelves of rocks, there is an exclusive Ganapati
Temple, which is quite famous throughout Tamizh Nadu.  This Ganapati is called Pillaiyar at the summit, or Uchipillaiyar. Uchi is summit.  Pillaiyar means venerable son, son of Siva.   On this Vinayaka Chaturthi day, lakhs visit this temple and have darshan and it is open almost 4 am to 11 pm at night.  There are concerts, bhagavata pravachan etc., for 10 days.

From the town of Tiruchirapalli, if one crosses Kaveri river, about 2 km from the famous Sri Rangam
Temple of Narayana, there is a Devi temple called Tiruvanaika.  Here the goddess Akhilandeswari is
there.  Siva is called Jambukeswara.  This the temple for Water principle, among the 5 elements.  Here, in front of Devi, there is an Omkara Ganapati shrine.  This is quite popular.  Devi was pacified when she was ferocious after the conquest of Mahishasura, by installing her son, Ganapati in front of her!

Further south, there is the famous Tiru Navalur Ganapati.  This is the deity which was prayed to by Nambi Andar Nambi, when he was young.  Nambi Andar Nambi is the forerunner for Saint Poet Sekkizhar, who
wrote Periya Puranam.  Nambi wrote a poem of about 100 songs, covering all the 63 Siva Saints in
a crisp manner.  He must have lived around 9th century AD.

Deep south, near Karaikudi, there is again a famous Pillaiyar Patti Temple.  This Ganapati is the family
deity of Chettiars in and around Karaikudi and Sivaganga.

In Mumbai, people speak the powerful deity of Prabha Devi Ganapati.   

Avvaiyar the famous Tamizh saint and poetess was a great devotee of Ganapati.  She had written many
verses on Ganapati.  Ganapati lifted her up with his trunk, from his temple, and placed her in Kailash,
when her mission in the world was over!       

Arunachala Siva.       

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: October 25, 2015, 07:07:36 AM »
Guru Gita:

The Guru places the onus of finding the Guru on the young student himself.  It urges the students to
select a Parama Guru {a Brahma Jnani} out of the different kinds of gurus and offers him a rule
of thumb to identify such a Guru.

Suchakadi prabhedena guravo babudha smritah
svayam samyak parikshyastha tattva-nishtam bhajet-sudhih.

(Verse 272)

"Gurus are said to be of different kinds, called suchaka etc., The intelligent one, having himself examined them carefully, should resort to one who is established in the higher reality i.e., a Brahma Jnani, referred to here as Parama-guru."

Yasya darsana matrena manasah syat-prasannata
svyam bhuyat dhritissanih sabhavet paramo-guruh

(Verse 292)

"He, by the mere sight of whom, the mind becomes clear [and receptive], and fortitude and peace
arise [in the mind] by themselves is a Parama-Guru.

{Look at Sri Ramana Gita.  When Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni asked Bhagavan Ramana:  'What is the
sure way to find one Guru as Parama Guru or a Brahma Jnani, or a Self Realized person?'  Bhagavan
[He was hardly 25 at that time, and He must have definitely not read Guru Gita, but He has said
exactly the above characteristics for a Self Realized person.}

(Source: Guru Gita article by N.A. Mohan Rao in Mountain
Path, July-September 2009)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: October 26, 2015, 07:24:58 AM »

Madurai is a place, where the history has witnessed many an eventful happenings.  In 3rd century AD,
it is here that Saint Nakkirar found fault even with a Tamizh song composed by Siva Himself to the poor uneducated brahmin priest of the temple, and got into an debate with Siva himself.  Siva cursed him to
suffer in burns of fire and then Saint Nakkirar sought his forgiveness.  The saint went to a nearby jungle and did his penance and was blessed by Skanda.  There, he wrote the famous Tiru Murugatrupadai on Skanda.
It was in 3rd century AD.  In fourth century AD, Saint Manikkavachagar was the minister in Pandya
Kingdom.  He went to Tiruperundurai and spent all the king's money (given by the king) in building a
temple for Siva.  He got into many punishments from the king and Siva came to help him out and he embraced ascetism and went around Tamizh Nadu, singing the glory of Siva, in Tiruvachakam.  In 6th century AD, Tiru Jnana Sambandhar, who is an avatara of Skanda, defeated the Jains in many types of competitions, cured the king, who was a hunch back and also suffering from colic pains.  The king and the subjects then moved back to Saivism.  In 7th century AD, Sankara came to Madurai.

Later in the year 1896, Bhagavan Ramana attained Self realization, in this same city, where after he went to Siva in the temple, and prayed to him for giving a life like the Saiva saints of yore.

Sankara was by this time 26 years old.  He had a darsan of Meenkashi and Sundareswara.  He composed his Meenkashi Pancharatnam here.

1. I prostrate to Meenakshi, the queen of Pandya kingdom, who
shines brighter than 1000 suns, who has got red lips like 'kovai'
fruits, who has got white pearl-like teeth, clothed in bright golden yellow robes,
who is ever prostrated to, by Brahma, Vishnu and Indra, who has got feet which is the swarupa of
all tattvas, philosophies, who is the ocean of ever-full mercy.

2. I prostrate to Meenakshi, the one with pearl-studded headgear, who has got a full-moon-like pleasant face, whose anklets make all the music of the world, while walking. I prostrate to her who is shining like a red
lotus, which gives all welfare to the devotees, who is the daughter of Himavan, the king of Himalayas, who
is ever prostrated to, by Lakshmi and Saraswati, and who is the ocean of ever-full mercy.

3. I prostrate to Meenakshi, who is the form of Sri Vidya, i.e. all mantras, who is the consort of Siva, who shines with the sound of Hrimkara mantra, who stays in the center of Sri Chakra, (the metal inscription
of Sri Vidya mantra).  I prostrate to her, the mother of Ganapati and six faced Shanmuga and who is the ocean of ever-full mercy.

4. I prostrate to Meenkashi, who is the consort of Sundareswara, Siva.  I prostrate to her, the one who removes all the (worldly) fears and confers Jnana to devotees, who is emerald-green in color, sister of Narayana, the divine player of Veena and who is the ocean of ever-full mercy.

5. I prostrate to Meenakshi, who dwells in the Heart of yogis and Jnanis, who confers all super-normal
powers, (Siddhis), who is fond of fragrant white flowers, jasmine.  I pray to that sister of Narayana who is prayed to, by Narayana.  I pray to her who is the Brahman, of form of sound in Space, who is above all the
worldly beings, who is the purport of Mahavakyas of Upanishads, and who is the ocean of ever-full mercy.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: October 27, 2015, 08:40:06 AM »

Who am I?

First, what is this 'I' in the question?  For people who think that I is the body or the mind or ego,
then they have to ask this question again and again and contemplate on the deep sleep state.
Who is sleeping?  If it is the body, then are you aware of that body in sleep?  No. Are you the mind? 
If it is the mind, it works only in wakeful and dream states.  But in deep sleep, it is in suspended
animation.  Are you aware of that mind in sleep?  No.  So, you are not the mind either.

Now, start reading Who am I?  Read it again and again everyday at a fixed hour or even when
you are otherwise free. Read preferably the Question and Answer version.  Most of us, will
understand it in a first few readings.  But is it the intellectual understanding, that is needed for
Self realization?  No, definitely not.  The intellectual understanding is only to negate the (neti-neti)
non-Self aspects. The five kosas, or sheaths, the mind, the ego, the mindstuff, the intellect and
even the hidden tendencies, or vasanas.

To every question of Who am I?, read the answer given by Bhagavan Ramana to M.Sivaprakasam Pillai.
And then, answer it yourself.

Are you getting the same answers?  Then proceed.  In case you forget to put into use the answers,
then start all over again. Contemplate these answers vigorously and many many times.....

I have done this.  It has worked for me.  I am sure it will work for every one else too.  The only key
point is, have faith in Bhagavan Ramana's words.  Do not try to find from books what Sri Sankara or
Sri Ramanuja have told.  This faith is paramount.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: October 27, 2015, 11:39:45 AM »
Today is Tirumoola Nayanar's  day of merger with Siva.

Aippasi - Aswini star day.

His merger with Siva is celebrated in all Saiva Maths and  Saiva families' homes.

The history of Thirumoola Nayanar

In the growing-moon crowned Lord's mount Kailash, being the lead of that very ancient abode of
Lord showing the righteous path to the Vishnu, Brahma, Indra,  and others is the Nanaadhi.
One of His disciples, Vedas-learnt sage who attained the eight great achievements beginning from
Anima, wanted to visit and stay with sage Agasthyar at the Podigai mountains in Tamizh land.
Worshiping the Lord at Kedhar,  the sage praised the Pasupati at Nepal. He reached the banks of the
holy river Ganga, which as a small stream falls from His vast matted hair, glittering like the lightning.
Bathing in the river he saluted the Lord's Avimuththam abode and proceeded towards the South.
Saluting the Sri Sailam of Siva,, he reached Sri Kalahasti.  Praising the enchanting everlasting Lord
at Sri Kalahasti,  entered His dancing field Ala Vanam and bowed down to His raised foot. He came to
Kamakshi,  worshipping Lord EkAmbaranAthar.  Involving in discussions with the Yoga Munis of that
city, he left in his journey and bowed down to the black-throated Mercy at Tiru Adigai.
He arrived in the Master of dance's Thillai. With his heart brimming with love he saw the dance of the
Golden Beauty that acts making the matters to exist. Staying and saluting the Lord there for some time
he came to the banks of river Kaveri.

Bathing in the chill refreshing water of river Kaveri, he went into the Lord's abode Tiru Avaduthurai.
The Yogi praised in un-diminishing love the Lord of cows there. In spite of a feeling of not leaving that
holy place emerging strongly he went out of the town continuing his journey towards Podigai. But in a
short distance he saw the cows crying on the Kaveri bank. Moolan,  a herdsman who used to take care
of the cows of the village Sathanur, died, when he brought the cowherds for grazing on the banks of
the river. The cows out of their affection for their herdsman went around his body smelling him, licking
him and crying. The Yogi who told the world that Love is Lord Siva felt he would remove their suffering
by His grace. Realizing that only if Moolan came alive, the cows would get consoled, he, a splendid Sidhdha fortified his body and introduced his soul into the body of the herdsman through air. He rose as Tiru Moolar. The cows relieved of their gloom licked him in joy, went around happily grazing on the riverbanks. The merciful Nayanar, safeguarded them till they grazed enough and returned after drinking water from the
river. As the sun red in the heat went to have a dip in the ocean, the cows thinking of their calves started walking back towards the village. The sage who showed a supreme path to the world calmly followed them
to Sathanur.

He waited till all the cows entered their respective houses. Wife of the herdsman Moolan, saw him
delaying to enter the house. Anxiously she went to touch him, but he refused saying there was no relation between them and went into a common mutt. The lady who had no offspring or relatives could not sleep throughout the night. She cried and lamented to the elderly people of the town about his new behavior. Those people of well analyzing capacity, told the girl that he was neither mad nor had he any other association. He staying beyond the skewed mind, in the crystal clear Siva Yoga, in the height of glory immeasurable for
any human would not fit into relationship she had, they advised her. The sage Tirumoola Nayanar,  in such a wonderful state got up and returned the way he came, following the cowherd. The sage could not find the body he had kept it safe. He realized through his vision of spiritual wisdom that it was God's grace that way in order to give in Tamizh through his words the supreme Agamas that the cool-matted haired Lord gave for
this world to follow and get enlightened.   He explained to the relatives who continued behind him the
non-continuation of the bonds. After they all left thinking the holy feet of the Lord of Bull flag, Nayanar,
went with great enthusiasm to salute the Supreme at Tiru Avaduthurai. Sitting under the shade of Arasu
tree in ultimate Siva Yogam, he gave the holy Tiru Mandiram, a marvelous medicine for the illness of incarnation. Starting from 'Onravan thanE' ,  he completed the Taamizh garland of three thousand flowers
for the Lord who charmingly wears the horn of the boar. Staying on this earth for those three thousand
years, a blessed time for the upbringing of humankind he reached in non-separation the holy Feet of the Almighty.  Let the coveted wisdom of Siva Yoga of Tirumoola Nayanar stay in the mind.

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:56:58 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: October 28, 2015, 09:56:24 AM »
The history of Thiru-Ninra-cheer Nedumara Nayanar

Today is Aippasi, Bharani Star Day, the day on  which the Nayanar merged with Siva:

It is possible that because of ignorance, lack of opportunity and various other factors one happens
to fall in the life. But the come back of those people to the glory by some kindling factor is something marvelous. Such a sincere person gets reverence and fame among all others and is respected a lot
in history. The king who came in the lunar tradition of Pandyas, who ruled from Madurai was
Ninra-cheer Nedumranar. The king who was called Koon Pandyan  because of the hunch he had in
the back was swayed away into immature philosophies. He was following the Jainism. The king
whose heat-disease the result of the bad ruling was cured by the splendid prodigy saint Tiru Jnana Sambandhar, so was his hunched back got cured and straightened, so was his mind and kingdom
cured and straightened in the discipline of Saivism. He became the Ninra-seer Nedumara Nayanar,
(who stood perfect) by the prayer of his wonderful better half Queen Mangaiyarkarasi,  and caring
minister Kulachiraiyar,  the grace of the young beacon of Saivism, and the blessings of the
charming God.

The Sun rose in the kingdom that day marking the end of an age of darkness of that Tamizh land.
The great and giant temple of the banyan seated Lord throughout the land were in a glorious period
with the enlightened people along with the king participating eagerly in it. The land stood up back in
the history. During his time the kings from the north came with a big ocean of army to fight a war.
In the battlefield of Tirunelveli,  the valorous king was victorious driving away the enemies along with
their vengeance, in a fight that entered the history. Magnificent in power, merciful in ruling, mind full with salutations to the Mahesa, the mister of the great lady Mangaiyarkarasi,  lived long governing the empire
in the glory of Lord Siva.  As he entered the hearts of the seekers he entered the state of the Lord in His service. Let the glorious come back of the historic Pandya King Ninra-seer Nedu stay in the mind.

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:43:41 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: October 29, 2015, 07:50:23 AM »

Kavyakanta Ganapati Sastri was so named by his parents, since he was born after intense prayers to Ganapati.  His father had a vision of Ganapati as a child, moving in all fours, in front of Siva's image.  Kavyakanta Ganapati Sastri was elder to Bhagavan Ramana by about 2 or 3 years. Ganapati took pride
that he was Ganapati and Bhagavan Ramana was his younger brother, Skanda. He says about this in Sri Ramana Gita.

Sri M. Sivaprakasam Pillai, the questioner of Who am I? was also a great Ganapati devotee.  He was doing pujas to Ganapati in the Hill.  Someone guided him to go to the living Siva, Bhagavan Ramana, instead
of praying to Ganapati, for answering his burning questions about marriage, spiritual life etc.,

Several Ganapati devotees who meditated before Bhagavan Ramana had seen Him as Ganapati and
Skanda of Pazhani.

Sarvadikari, Swami Niranjananda's first son was named Ganesan. This gentleman, when he was hardly
four years old, had climbed to Bhagavan's sofa and sat with Bhagavan Ramana!  Bhagavan
Ramana touched him and blessed him!

Seshadri Swamigal who was also elder to Bhagavan Ramana, treated Him, as his younger brother.  In the early years, Bhagavan Ramana was called Chinna Seshadri, the younger Seshadri, by the people
of Tiruvannamalai.  In Seshadri Swamigal's Asramam, there is a Vinayaka stone image, under the peepul tree, as you enter the Ashram.  I think he is called Navasakti Vinayaka. 

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: October 29, 2015, 11:19:13 AM »
Idankazhi Nayanar -

His day of liberation by reaching the feet of Lord Siva, falls today.  Aippasi, Krittika Star Day.

The blue long cloth of sea with its tidal folding, embracing the body of the girl of ground, was the
kingdom by name KO  Nadu. The capital of the kingdom that runs along with the pleasant chirping
of birds that roam around the cool ponds was the town Kodumpaloor. The king Idankazhiyar, the
renowned, other than to the Emperor on the earth chariot, who burnt down the three forts into heaps
of ash, would not bow down to anybody even in dreams. In reality with a great love that flows out day
and night, he offered to do whatever services required for the devotees of the river worn Lord.
The Saivic discipline along with the Vedic knowledge made his kingdom a peaceful and pleasant place
to live. For the Lord who was offered terrific poison by the celestial elements with salutations and
begging to rescue them, was offered the Agamic worships everyday in His enlightening abodes of the kingdom.

One devotee of the Lord who practiced the austerity of feeding the ash smeared Lord's devotees one day
could not get way to earn the material required for his holy service. Out of his high enthusiasm to serve
the devotees not realizing what he was doing went in the dark night to the governments warehouse and
tried to pick from the stack the required food material. The royal servants found him stealing from the
godown and took him arrested to the king. On the king's inquiry, the devotee replied that he did that only
to feed the slaves of the Bliss-showering Lord. Naynar, a marvelous devotee of Lord Siva, the king of
Konadu,  releasing the devotee felt he was his treasure. What is the use of a filled royal stack when a
devotee struggles for getting the food ! He, the king, who really knew the usage of the treasures,
announced that along with the piles of grains the slaves of God could take the heaps of treasures.
With the royal treasure building up in the peaceful living of the devotees, the citizens of the kingdom the
king gave away the materials to the needful. Ruling the state with the mercy and understanding of the people's problems the king who ruled in the discipline of the fragrance of the Sacred Ash resided
under the comfortable shade of the Supreme. Let understanding of the devotees problems and the splendid serving tendency that Idankazhi  Nayanar showed stay in the mind.

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 11:26:11 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: October 30, 2015, 09:04:30 AM »

Bhava-bhakti or ardent devotion to Siva is the connecting string of all devotees of Siva in
Periya Puranam.  This devotion is displayed by devotees treating Siva as Father, Guru, Mother,
Child etc.,

Once Tiru Neela Nakka Nayanar and his wife went to Siva temple, for offering pujas.  In the inner
sanctum, when the puja was going on, Nayanar's wife saw spider crawling over the body of
Siva.  She felt that the spider would harm Siva, so she gave a long exhalation by bending towards
the image to drive out the spider!  Neela Nakka got angry with his wife since she had caused
sacrilege to Siva, by mouthing out the breath, full of dirty air and saliva.  He left her at the temple
and came back home and closed the doors denying entry for his wife.   In the night Siva
appeared before him in a dream and said:  Look at my body, excepting for the area where your wife
breathed out air, in all other places, the spider had bitten me and it is all full of red scales!
Nakka woke up and understood his wife's bhava-bhakti and her purpose. He came back to the temple
and apologized to his wife, prostrated before Siva for the ill-treatment to his wife and both returned
home.  This intense devotion is nothing but Sarangati in a different form and this takes one closer to
Godhead.

Once there was a gentleman, I think, Ramaswami Iyengar in the Asramam, who was devoted to
Bhagavan Ramana to such an extent, that he did not even mention His name.  Once he saw
a visitor addressing Bhagavan as Ramana.  He went and slapped him.  The visitor also understood
the reason and apologized.

Arunachala Siva.