Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 367807 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #1590 on: October 03, 2015, 01:17:14 PM »
Tiru Nalaippovar - Nandanar- Purattasi, Rohini star day:

Today is the day of liberation of Nandanar.  This is being celebrated in all Saiva Maths and in
all Saiva homes.

Tiru Nalaippovaar, a great devotee who rose up to rejoice in the lotus feet of the Lord in spite of all
the troubles met by him because he was one from the so called lower caste. The only hold he had
throughout in all the hard times was the love, not an ordinary love to die off at the meeting of obstacles,
a determined, pure, sincere love for the Almighty. While the real devotees like Sundaramurti Nayanar,
who came in the Brahmin tradition and brought up like a king was looking forward to say, I am a slave
to Tiru Nalaippovar,  it is the people who do not digest the philosophy make the chaos. Imagining and
feeling of Tiru Nalaippovar's dedication to Siva,  in the kind of society he lived would be a kindler to
conquer the hurdles and reach Siva.

On the banks of river Kollidam,  that sprinkles the water with its tidal hands onto the hands of the lotuses
that lean up on both the banks to receive it in bloom, is the village Adhanur.   In that fertile village was a
slum that gave birth to the pearl by name Nandanar.  The real affection only to the glorious feet of Lord
Siva, peerless, disciplined in his profession were his characters. The simple devotee who knew only love, devotion, dedication to the Lord and nothing about ostentation, self-pride and worthless talk did the best
of the service,  he out of his traditional profession could do. He made the drums and parts of the various
music instruments like Veena, Yazh, that are played in the worship of the Lord who chants the Vedas
in the tune of Veena,  when all the noises of the world have settled down. He offered the Korachanai,
for the worship of the Lord of devas. (In the middle ages while the Supreme is praised that it is tradition-less
(kulamili) people were differentiated by their birth with the caste system according to profession. The
people of the so claimed lower hierarchy were refused entry into the temples of God. What a pity !
When the Lord is worshipped as the Lord of all creatures from the worm that moves in the gutters to
the superior celestial powers, how could one refuse a human being an entry into the holy abodes which facilitate enlightening the self and pave way for liberation - a basic requirement and ultimate goal of all
the lives ! There would of course be distinctions in accordance with ones discipline but how could the permit
be refuted to one to the Form of Mercy's abode just because of the birth ?

This man of immense love for the Lord, which was probably not understood by anyone around other
than that Lover Himself, would stand outside the temple wherever he finds one, chant, sing , dance
and enjoy in that Glory that is Omnipresent. He wished to salute and serve the Siva Loka Nathan,
of Tirup Punkur. With an immense interest to worship the God he came by the door side straight in front
of the Lord's altar.   The holy Bull that is in front of the Lord came in between his vision to the Lord as
he had to stand outside the temple. The Lord Asutosha, the Easily Pleased, knowing the ardent love of
this splendid simple devotee, showered Its grace by asking the Bull to move aside a little bit so that
Nayanar,  could see Him. He showed the world that it is the sincerity of devotion that matters to Him
nd not the caste, creed or race. The differences are only in the crooked eyes of the human beings and
not in Its graceful vision. For Him the so claimed higher caste, so called untouchable, a black, brown,
white, blue, rich or poor, a male or female all the same and what matters is the love. The humble devotee
who felt on the top of the world saluted, bowed down, fell down, prostrated. The poor devotee wanted to
do whatever service he can possibly do to the Lord of Siva Loka.  Looking at the bad state of the
surroundings of the temple he with growing enthusiasm cleaned up and dug a nice pond. At the completion
of service circumambulated the God and returned back to his place happily.

This way he went to many of the Lord's abodes to salute and did whatever service he could. A wish to
see the Blissful Dance at Tillai,  came often in his mind. He won't sleep that night, in the dawn he would
think he might not be able to go because of his so called low caste birth and wouldn't go. Still he never
wanted to drop that thought, he would say, "I will go tomorrow". (Nalaip Povan) - hence he became known
as Tiru Nalaip Povar).   The tomorrows went on and on and he couldn't bear it.  Finally he convinced himself
to go to Tillai.   Reaching the frontier of that holy place, he saw the smoke from the sacrifices that were
being made and heard the sound of Vedas, being chanted.   Scared to enter the town that appeared
so holy with what he thought an inferior birth,  he circumambulated the town many times and out of
fatigue he slept there. How can the Lord who comes to us taking us as His slaves giving bliss, His sincere devotee who was longing to see His dance lying outside the town anxiously ? He came in the slave's dream telling him to enter through fire His holy abode.

The Lord appeared in the dreams of the priests of Tillai, instructing the same to them. The fearful priests
came to the devotee and told the Lord's saying.  Feeling blessed the excellent devotee of the Lord whose
love can never be charred by any fire entered the flame praising the Holiest of the holy things, His
graceful feet.   Nandhanar,  came out amidst the shower of flowers by the devas, salutations of the priests
of Tillai, rejoice of the devotees as a reverend sage to worship the Dancing Marvel.   With the priests
following, he saluted the tower of the Lord raising deer in His left, he entered fast the Holy abode. They
all saw him entering the Cosmic Dancer's place and they saw only the Cosmic Dancer's idol. The
Supreme which could not be stained by the blots of human manners took this sincere devotee in
Its blissful Feet. Let the reverend wonderful devotion of Tiru Nalaip Povar Nayanar,  because of which
in spite of the mountain of hurdles, he reached the Lord, stay in the mind.

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 01:40:56 PM by Subramanian.R »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: October 03, 2015, 10:44:59 PM »
A beautiful Shiva Linga Pic that I saw on the net and sharing here . No idea which temple it belongs to .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: October 04, 2015, 08:03:27 AM »

Sri Soundarya Lahari, Verse 5, speaks about desires and annihilation of desires, kama, being used
as a general Sanskrit term.

Haristvamaradhya pranata jana saubhagya jananim,
Pura nari bhutva purarimpumapa kshobhamanayat
Smaro'pi tvam natva ratinayana lehyena vapusha
Muninampyantah prabhavati hi mohaya mahatam.

Sankara says that it was by performing puja to Mother, that Vishnu was able to assume the divinely
alluring from of Mohini, that stirred so firm a mind as that of Siva, and created in him love for that form.

In the context of the arousal of the desire in the Brahman to conduct the affairs of the world, that the Brahman and the Brahma-Sakti were spoken of in erotic terms as the Kamesvara and Kamesvari
pair?  Thus Kameswari is another name of Sri Kamakshi or Lalita.

In the second part of the verse, it says:  By prostrating himself before you, and obtaining your grace Manmatha acquired the form that Rati lapped up with her eyes, a form that is visible only to her.

Why should Mother shows compassion to create desires, not merely desire for woman but also other
worldly desires.  The world is full of low, mediocre and high level of people.  The lowly people
will prefer only worldly desires, some money, a girl to marry and to build a flat etc.,  The mediocre
will ask Mother to give him devotion, pilgrimages, enough money to do donation and other
dharmas.  Sri Kamakshi herself is said to have done 32 dharmas, like poor feeding, giving medicines
to sick and needy, clothes and homes to the needy.  Then finally, there are highly evolved souls
seek from Mother nothing but liberation, no worldly desires.  Here liberation is also due to desire for self-inquiry for the Self!

So all these desires have to be fulfilled by Mother, by her compassion.

Kunti requested Krishna to give only sufferings, so that she would think of Him constantly.  How can suffering come to a person?  Unless there are desires and angers?  In one way, kama and krodha are all blessings
from Mother!

These descriptions indicate that without the help and her grace and compassion, anyone whoever
he be, will stumble and fall.  We should not think that we can achieve things on our own and
we must remain humble always, seeking her grace.

Bhagavan Ramana was self realized in Madurai house.  He had to spend about 6 weeks thereafter,
before reaching Arunachala. These six weeks were like three years for Him.  He knew that He
was not for worldly life, education, job etc.,  But what can He do? He used to go to Madurai Meenkashi
Temple and cry before the images of 63 Saiva Saints.  He told before them:  O Siva, why not
you give me a life like one of these people?  Sakti, Meenkashi in whose city, He got self realization,
had to help Him to find a way too.  The Saktinipatam, the descent of divine power, which had
happened to cause Self Realization in His Heart, did show the way and also the means to come His
Father's city, Arunachala.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: October 05, 2015, 07:36:39 AM »

Bhava-bhakti or ardent devotion to Siva is the connecting string of all devotees of Siva in
Periya Puranam.  This devotion is displayed by devotees treating Siva as Father, Guru, Mother,
Child etc.,

Once Tiru Neela Nakka Nayanar and his wife went to Siva temple, for offering pujas.  In the inner
sanctum, when the puja was going on, Nayanar's wife saw spider crawling over the body of
Siva.  She felt that the spider would harm Siva, so she gave a long exhalation by bending towards
the image to drive out the spider!  Neela Nakka got angry with his wife since she had caused
sacrilege to Siva, by mouthing out the breath, full of dirty air and saliva.  He left her at the temple
and came back home and closed the doors denying entry for his wife.   In the night Siva appeared
before him in a dream and said:  Look at my body, excepting for the area where your wife breathed
out air, in all other places, the spider had bitten me and it is all full of red scales!  Nakka woke
up and understood his wife's bhava-bhakti and her purpose. He came back to the temple and
apologized to his wife, prostrated  before Siva for the ill-treatment to his wife and both returned home.
This intense devotion is nothing but Sarangati in a different form and this takes one closer to Godehad.

Once there was a gentleman, I think, Ramaswami Iyengar in the Asramam, who was devoted to
Bhagavan Ramana to such an extent, that he did not even mention His name.  Once he saw
a visitor addressing Bhagavan as Ramana.  He went and slapped him.  The visitor also understood
the reason and apologized.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: October 06, 2015, 07:18:34 AM »

Five thieves are ever ready to rob us.  But if I depend on Bhagavan, He takes care of me.  No one
can try to rob Bhagavan or Christ for that matter.  Many people have tried this trick on Bhagavan
as well as Christ. Once spies came and said to him (Christ) and said:  Teacher, we know that you
teach the truth about what God wants people to do.  And you treat everyone with the same respect,
no matter who they are.

Tell us, should we pay taxes to the Emperor or not?

Jesus knew that they were trying to trick him.  So, he told them: 'Show me a coin.'  They showed.
Then he asked:  Whose picture and name are on it?'

'The Emperor's'. they answered.

Then he told them: "Give the Emperor what belongs to him. Give God what belongs to God"

- Luke 20; 20-25
                - also, in Matthew 22.15-22 and Mark 12.13-17.

Let the five thieves be there.  But we have got a more powerful guard with us.  The guard will take
care of us and our job is to pay our devotion and respects to him and sleep peacefully!

Arunachala Siva.             

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: October 06, 2015, 10:25:01 AM »
CONSCIOUS IMMORTALITY

Q: Does Bhagavan make the way easy for aspirants by taking on their tapas, so that they need not go through actual hardships?

M: If that were so, everyone would easily reach the goal!
Each one must work for himself.

p. 141
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: October 07, 2015, 07:44:27 AM »

Narayanathu Prandhan was a Malayalee Jnani.  He was called Prandhan, which means madcap.
He used to wander all over the village saying:  Manasile Ayilla, Manasile Ayilla.  I have not
got it in the mind, I have not got it in the mind!  People used to make fun of him.

One day, he started saying:  Manasile Aayee.  Manasile Aayee. I got it in my mind, I got it in my mind!

At that time, his guru appeared before him and asked Prandhan:  What is it, that you have got in your mind?

Prandhan replied:  I got it in my mind, that I cannot get it in my mind!

His guru took Prandhan with him.

Hrudaya cannot be captured by mind.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: October 07, 2015, 07:46:46 AM »

The Jiva and the language or words are all in the world of mind -- Manomandala. It is all sound and
words.  Atma is in silence.  There is no need to understand the words, the language.  Many a times
only sound is adequate. What does the sound OM, or AUM explain?  It is according to one's own
mind or the Self, the Heart. 

Prahlada was given atma-upadesa by Narada, when the child was in the womb.  What language the
foetus know? What words it can understand?  It can at best understand only the sound.

Bhagavan Ramana said only this.  Summa Iru.  No words, no sound, the total silence of the mind and
the jiva by remaining in one's own Heart.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: October 09, 2015, 07:49:53 AM »

When Sankara was on pilgrimage, he met one very old gentleman, about in his 90s, doing fire sacrifices.
One seeing Sankara, the old man rushed to Sankara, prostrated to him and then asked:  Please
show me the Jyoti, (the Light).  Sankara asked the old man:

How do you see the world?
-By sunlight in day and moonlight and lamps in night.

-How do you see them actually?
- By my eyes.

-In sleep, how do you then see the dreams?
- By my buddhi, intellect.

-In deep sleep, what is it that sees everything?
- My atma.

See within, investigate, as to who is seeing all this?  You will know it is the Light of Atma, Atma Jyoti,
the Eye of the eye!

Bhagavan Ramana has translated this in Tamizh, in Ulladu Narpadu, Anubandam, Verse 7, Sad Darsanam, Supplement:

The translation is also in the form of conversation, between the Guru and the disciple. 

Master:  By what light do you see?
Disciple:  The sun by day, the lamp by night.

Master:  By what light do you see these lights?
Disciple:  The eye.

Master:  By what light do you see the eye?
Disciple:  The mind.

Master:  By what light do you see the mind?
Disciple:  My Self

Master:  You then are the Light of Lights.
Disciple: Yes. That I am!

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: October 10, 2015, 01:53:17 PM »

Kapali Sastri was himself a raja-yogi of high order.  He was in Puducherry (Sri Aurobindo Ashram)
but had a high regard for Bhagavan Ramana and he was a direct disciple of Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni.
He was one of the questioners in Sri Ramana Gita. And he has written a beautiful commentary on
Sri Ramana Gita, which was read out, before Bhagavan Ramana and got approved.

He does in his commentary of this verse, justice to both rajayoga and self inquiry.  Since the verse is
primarily about the raja yoga marga, it is worthwhile to read Kapali Sastri's commentary for this
verse.  He says further:

"..... Here one should not suspect the outcome of duality as a result
of the difference between the sight and the seen.  The Light in the
Heart which is reached by inner concentration is not different from
the Self.  The throbbing of 'I' is of course different from the revolving
of 'I'.  One should know that concentrating on its own form, the
revolving 'I' culminates in the throbbing 'I'.  It has to be understood
that the difference is in revolving and in throbbing, not in the 'I-ness'.

"Again, the vision of light is not different from the the vision of the
Self.  And vision is direct realization.  Before accomplishment of the
thing, the vision of light happens only in the Heart, in the Supreme
Self for one who concentrates.  The usage 'sees in You' strengthens
this conclusion that in the Heart are reconciled the duality implied
in the one who concentrates and the object of concentration.  By
'Iyam te mahi' it has been shown that the world of light attainable
by the concentration of the yogis belongs to Arunachala, whose
true form is infinite Consciousness..."

The experience becomes established for the man with one-pointed
devotion and endowed with Self Realization that the universe is not
different from his own Self.  Then, within and outside him, the Infinite
Self is directly perceived.  Bhagavan describes the condition and glory
of such a perfected being in the next verse.

In Tamizh verse, Bhagavan Ramana uses the words, "Unnil OLi kanum"
that is, the yogi sees the light.  This seeing, or the word darsan
is interchangeably used in Tamil, as for realization and seeing.
For example, we say Sad Darsanam, how to see Sat.  It is being
Sad or realization of Sat.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: October 12, 2015, 07:36:59 PM »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: October 13, 2015, 07:20:14 AM »

The Jiva and the language or words are all in the world of mind -- Manomandala. It is all sound and words.  Atma is in silence.  There is no need to understand the words, the language.  Many a times only sound is adequate. What does the sound OM, or AUM explain?  It is according to one's own mind or the Self, the Heart. 

Prahlada was given atma-upadesa by Narada, when the child was in the womb.  What language the
foetus know? What words it can understand?  It can at best understand only the sound.

Bhagavan Ramana said only this.  Summa Iru.  No words, no sound, the total silence of the mind
and the jiva by remaining in one's own Heart.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: October 14, 2015, 07:30:49 AM »

Sri Kanchi Chandrasekara Swami has commented lucidly. One should be able to donate or give to
others even beyond one's means.  There is one Kalaya Nayanar in Periyapuranam. He was a rich oil
monger and he was lighting lamps with huge quantity of oil everyday in Siva's temple, in Tiruvotriyur,
now in the outskirts of Chennai.  He became poor, (all Siva's play) and worked as the puller of the oil silos, instead of bulls. He got daily wages, bought some oil and lighted lamps.  Finally, he lost that job too.  He wanted to sell his wife, for buying oil;  there were no takers.  One day, he went to the temple, cleaned
up the earthern lamps, fixed new wicks and took his sword to kill himself to get blood and light the lamps.  Siva appeared before him with Sakti and conferred him liberation.  This act of Kalaya Nayanar is the
highest dharma or dhana.  Only such dharmas pay a person, not giving Rs 5 extra to the autorickshaw
driver and placing Rs 2 on the camphor plate in the temple! 

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: October 16, 2015, 08:22:33 AM »

Ganapati's stone image can be seen in any towns or villages in
Tamil Nadu.  There is no need for an elaborate temple.  On the
banks of rivers and tanks, under a banyan or peepul tree, one
can see Ganapati.  But there are some specific temples and shrines
for Ganapati in Tamil Nadu.

Starting from Chennai, in the city, the temple in Tiruvallikeni
near the beach of Bay of Bengal, is very popular.  He is a quite
powerful and popular deity that students throng him for good
results after examinations.

In Thanjavur town, there is a Ganapati deity, on the outer portal
of a Devi temple.  This deity is called High Court Ganapati!  I believe there was some tussle between two groups of devotees as to where to place this deity and High Court gave a verdict to place it at the
entrance of Devi Temple!  Near Thanjavur, on the banks of Kaveri
river, there is a village called Ganapati Agraharam, where there is
a small but good temple for Ganapati.  There were brahmins in the
past who were doing fire sacrifices and were following exlcusive
Ganapati worship, called Gaanapatyam by Sankara.

Down south, in Tiruchirapalli, on the vertical heaps of shelves of
rocks, there is an exclusive Ganapati Temple, which is quite
famous throughout Tamil Nadu.  This Ganapati is called Pillaiyar
at the summit, or Uchipillaiyar. Uchi is summit.  Pillaiyar means
venerable son, son of Siva.   On this Vinayaka Chaturthi day, lakhs
visit this temple and have darshan and it is open almost 4 am to
11 pm at night.  There are concerts, bhagavata pravachan ec.,
for 10 days.

From the town of Tiruchirapalli, if one crosses Kaveri river, about
2 km from the famous Sri Rangam Temple of Narayana, there is
a Devi temple called Tiruvanaika.  Here the goddess Akhilandeswari is there.  Siva is called Jambukeswara.  This the temple for Water
principle, among the 5 elements.  Here, in front of Devi, there is
an Omkara Ganapati shrine.  This is quite popular.  Devi was pacified when she was ferocious after the conquest of Mahishasura, by installing her son, Ganapati in front of her!

Further south, there is the famous Tiru Navalur Ganapati.  This is the deity which was prayed to by Nambi Andar Nambi, when he was young.  Nambi Andar Nambi is the forerunner for Saint Poet
Sekkizhar, who wrote Periya Puranam.  Nambi wrote a poem of about 100 songs, covering all the 63 Siva Saints in a crisp manner.  He must have lived around 9th century AD.

Deep south, near Karaikudi, there is again a famous Pillaiyar Patti Temple.  This Ganapati is the family deity of Chettiars in and around Karaikudi and Sivaganga.

In Mumbai, people speak the powerful deity of Prabha Devi Ganapati.   

Avvaiyar the famous Tamil saint and poetess was a great devotee of Ganapati.  She had written many verses on Ganapati.  Ganapati lifted her up with his trunk, from his temple, and placed her in Kailas, when her mission in the world was over!       

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: October 17, 2015, 08:15:10 AM »

Surrender with conviction or sarangati with bhavana, faith is the key.  Bhagavan Ramana told
only two ways.  Atma Vichara, inquiring within, or Surrender, with the conviction, that nothing
is possible by me, only your grace is essential.

Bhagavan Ramana told this to Devaraja Mudaliar who had complained about his incapabiltiy to
do Atma Vichara. "Please surrender and leave the rest to me."  But this surrender totally is also
equally difficult.  We are all experts in partial surrenders.  Give me 10,000 dollars, I shall burn a
candle in the church!  If dollars do not come, no candle is taken to the church.

This bhakti, whose final form is surrender is an exemplary thing. Manikkavachagar says in Tiruvachakam:

"Bhakti valaiyil paduvon kanga."  See, he is caught in my net of bhakti!

He also says:  "Kalivi ennum pal kadal pizhaithuym.."  Escaping the ocean of knowledge!

Measured reading of scriptures and  total surrender are the two essential requisites. 

Atma Vichara and Surrender are two sides of the same coin!

Arunachala Siva.