Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 342915 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #1545 on: September 17, 2015, 01:11:52 PM »
4. Papaji came to Bhagavan Ramana and Bhagavan Ramana had guided him suitably.  Whether
Papaji later gave mantras to his disciples or prescribed any specific guru mantras, I do not know.
Bhagavan Ramana did not give any mantras.  His only mantra was to inquire Who am I?

Papaji never gave any form of Mantra Initiation to his disciples ( though he did intense Mantra Japa in his early days )  and in his satsangs some times Bhajans were sung and some scriptures like Bhagavatham , Vivekachudamani , Ribhu Gita were read and discussed in an informal way  .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: September 17, 2015, 05:03:47 PM »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: September 17, 2015, 05:09:43 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: September 17, 2015, 05:56:43 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: September 18, 2015, 10:59:45 AM »

From Ramana Ashram FB Page

On the auspicious occasion of Ganesha Chathurthi we recount references to Lord Ganesha by Sri Ramana Maharshi. He prayed to Lord Ganesha before composing the ?Marital Garland of Letters?. Read the reference to ?Karunakara Ganapati? or Compassionate Lord Ganesha; ?Lord Ganesha, Ocean of Compassion, extend your helping hand and protect me, that I may offer to, and adorn as befits Him, my Lord Arunachala, my beloved, the best among all bridegrooms, with this Marital Garland of Letters. One day in l912, a potter came to the Virupaksha Cave and presented a small image of Sri Ganesa to Sri Ramana Maharshi who wrote:

He who begot you as a child you made
Into a beggar; as a child yourself
You then lived everywhere just to support
Your own huge belly; I too am a child.
Oh Child God in that niche! Encountering one
Born after you, is your heart made of stone?
I pray you look at me!

Sri Ramana Maharshi frequently told the story of a man who made an image of Lord Ganesha with jaggery for worship. At the end of the worship realizing that he had nothing to offer to the Lord broke off a piece of the image to offer to Him as Naivedya. ?The offering of oneself to God is similar to the offering, to a Ganesh-figure made of jaggery, a portion of jaggery taken from the figure itself; for there is no individual self apart from Him.? Whatever we say is ?mine? is an act of theft or misappropriation of the Lord?s property. What is really meant by the term self-surrender is just the cessation of this theft, by the recognition by the devotee that the Lord is the real owner of everything.
Bhagavan?s explains the merit of worshiping Lord Ganesha: ?Seeing that Sundaramurthi was going away on a white elephant which had come from Kailas, the Rajah of Chera whispered in the ear of his horse the panchakshari mantra and got upon it to go to Kailas. Avvaiyar, who was at the time doing puja to Lord Ganesa, saw them both going to Kailas and so tried to hurry up her puja as she too wanted to go to Kailas. Seeing that, Ganesa said, ?Old woman, don?t hurry. Let your puja be performed as usual. I shall take you to Kailas before they reach it.? Accordingly, the puja was performed in due course. Waving his hand around, he said, ?Old lady, close your eyes.? That was all. When she opened her eyes, she found herself seated in Kailas in front of Parvati and Parameswara. By the time Sundaramurthi and Chera Rajah reached the place, they found her already seated there. Surprised at that, they asked her how she had got there. She told them how Lord Ganesa helped her.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: September 18, 2015, 01:38:33 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: September 18, 2015, 05:27:20 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: September 18, 2015, 10:23:43 PM »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: September 20, 2015, 05:17:03 PM »
Nothing can be taught to the mind which is not already concealed as potential knowledge in the unfolding soul of the creature. So also all perfection of which the outer man is capable, is only a realising of the eternal perfection of the Spirit within him. We know the Divine and become the Divine, because we are That already in our secret nature. All teaching is a revealing, all becoming is an unfolding. Self-attainment is the secret; self-knowledge and an increasing consciousness are the means and the process.

Sri Aurobindo

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: September 20, 2015, 05:23:34 PM »
Brahman manifesting Itself as the universe
MASTER: As long as a man associates himself with upadhis, so long he sees the manifold, such as Keshab, Prasanna, Amrita, and so on; but on attaining Perfect Knowledge he sees only one Consciousness everywhere. The same Perfect Knowledge, again, makes him realize that the one Consciousness has become the universe and its living beings and the twenty-four cosmic principles. But the manifestations of Divine Power are different in different beings. It is He, undoubtedly, who has become everything; but in some cases there is a greater manifestation than in others.
Vidyasagar once asked me, 'Can it be true that God has endowed some with greater power and some with less?' I replied: 'If that were not so, how is it that one man may be stronger than fifty? If that were not the case, again, how is it that we have all come here to see you?'
The soul through which God sports is endowed with His special power. The landlord may reside in any part of his estate, but he is generally to be found in a particular drawing-room.The devotee is God's drawing-room. God loves to sport in the heart of His devotee. It is there that His special power is manifest.
What is the sign of such a devotee? When you see a man doing great works, you may know that God's special power is manifested through him.
Identity of Brahman and Sakti
The Primordial Power and the Supreme Brahman are identical. You can never think of the one without the other. They are like the gem and its brilliance. One cannot think of the brilliance without the gem, or of the gem without its brilliance. Again, it is like the snake and its wriggling motion. One cannot think of the wriggling motion without the snake, or of the snake without its wriggling motion.It is the Primordial Power that has become the universe and its living beings and the twenty-four cosmic principles. It is a case of involution and evolution.

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: September 20, 2015, 08:34:12 PM »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: September 21, 2015, 07:23:53 AM »
Sri Sankara has written a five verse poem called Kasi Panchakam. Kasi is today's Benares or Varanasi.
This is, as per puranic stories, is a place where one gets liberation on death here. But Sri Sankara has
got a different imagery. He says:

Kasi is my body.
Manikarnika - the famous bathing gut there - is Hridayam, Heart
Viswanatha - Siva in the temple is the Self within me.  Brahman
who lives in the Heart for seekers.
Ganga- the river is the flowing bliss on my realization!

Bhagavan Ramana says the same thing in Arunachala Stuti
Panchakam.  Arunachala is not merely a Hill of Fire, but it
is the Self within.  And this is the swathma-tirtham, the
holy waters called Bliss inside!

Bhagavan Ramana gives three imageries in Arunachala
Pancharatnam.  First it is the nectarine ocean of grace.
Second it is the Hill, in which all lives are born, are sustained
and are annihilated.  Thirdly He says in Arunachala Padigam,
Verse 1:  Arunachala is the Sun but it gushes forth as waterfalls
of grace.

Many devotees have asked Bhagavan Ramana.  "Bhagavan!
How is that You are always gazing at the Hill, even though
you have seen it many many times?"  Bhagavan Ramana
has replied:  "I am gazing Arunachala as Atma, the Self within!"

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: September 21, 2015, 07:29:19 AM »

We are in the world and we have a body.  Without body, we cannot see the world.  We cannot do self
inquiry and surrender.  But we have to only deal with the world and body and honestly and
leave the rest to Bhagavan.

"The world is too much with us," said a poet.  The world may do anything with us.  Many things
can happen intentionally and unintentionally.  A lab-technician may transfuse a wrong group of blood and snuff out your life.  A drunken motorist on the way, can cause breaking of your legs.  A moody boss
can give you an average mark in performance appraisal and deny promotion in the job for another 4 years.
All these can happen in this world and we have to negotiate with this world carefully and with total
honesty.

But with Bhagavan Ramana, do not deal with Him.  Depend on Him, totally, regardless of your worldly happiness and miseries.

He says in Sri Arunachala Akshramana Malai, Verse 35:

If you say 'Fie' and scorn me Oh! Arunachala, my past merits and demerits will torture me and where
is the hope of life for me?

This shows that only Bhagavan Ramana is the refuge to get past our karma-fruits of the past births.

But He again says in Verse 55:

Before your fire of Jnana burns me to ashes, pour down upon me, your rain of Grace!

Only this Grace, we should look for, ever surrendering to Him.

(Tr. K. Swaminathan)

Deal with the world but give yourself in total refuge to Bhagavan Ramana.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: September 21, 2015, 06:26:43 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: September 21, 2015, 06:29:14 PM »