Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 357394 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #1410 on: May 09, 2015, 10:02:42 AM »
A DEVOTEE: "Then what is the way, sir?"

Prayer and holy company & Earnest longing
MASTER: "Prayer and the company of holy men. You cannot get rid of an ailment without the help of a physician. But it is not enough to be in the company of religious people only for a day. You should constantly seek it, for the disease has become chronic. Again, you can't understand the pulse rightly unless you live with a physician. Moving with him constantly, you learn to distinguish between the pulse of phlegm and the pulse of bile."

DEVOTEE: "What is the good of holy company?"

MASTER: "It begets yearning for God. It begets love of God. Nothing whatsoever is achieved in spiritual life without yearning. By constant living in the company of holy men, the soul becomes restless for God. This yearning is like the state of mind of a man who has someone ill in the family. His mind is in a state of perpetual restlessness, thinking how the sick person may be cured. Or again, one should feel a yearning for God like the yearning of a man who has lost his job and is wandering from one office to another in search of work. If he is rejected at a certain place which has no vacancy, he goes there again the next day and inquires, 'Is there an vacancy today?'

"There is another way: earnestly praying to God. God is our very own. We should say to Him: 'O God, what is Thy nature? Reveal Thyself to me. Thou must show Thyself to me; for why else hast Thou created me?' Some Sikh devotees once said to me, 'God is full of compassion.' I said: 'But why should we call Him compassionate? He is our Creator. What is there to be wondered at if He is kind to us? Parents bring up their children. Do you call that an act of kindness? They must act that way.' Therefore we should force our demands on God. He is our Father and Mother, isn't He? If the son demands his patrimony and gives up food and drink in order to enforce his demand, then the parents hand his share over to him three years before the legal time. Or when the child demands some pice from his mother, and says over and over again: 'Mother, give me a couple of pice. I beg you on my knees!' - then the mother, seeing his earnestness, and unable to bear it any more, tosses the money to him.

"There is another benefit from holy company. It helps one cultivate discrimination between the Real and the unreal. God alone is the Real, that is to say, the Eternal Substance, and the world is unreal, that is to say, transitory. As soon as a man finds his mind wandering away to the unreal, he should apply discrimination. The moment an elephant stretches out its trunk to eat a plantain-tree in a neighbour's garden, it gets a blow from the iron goad of the driver."

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: May 10, 2015, 06:58:28 AM »
Mathru Panchakam (The greatness of mother) - Dedicated to all Mothers on Mothres day ( Sun 10 May 2015 ) -This Sloka was Written by Adi Shankara during the death time of his mother.
You can find the context and meaning of this sloka in youtube link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDkKOzQzYtA
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: May 10, 2015, 08:10:34 AM »
Friends,
It is good to have something called 'Mother's day' but in India,every day is mother's day whether it is acknowledged or not.Here is an excerpt from one of the splendid talks by Swami Vivekananda - 'The women of India':

Now, the ideal woman in India is the mother, the mother first, and the mother last. The word woman calls up to the mind of the Hindu, motherhood; and God is called Mother. As children, every day, when we are boys, we have to go early in the morning with a little cup of water and place it before the mother, and mother dips her toe into it and we drink it.

In the West, the woman is wife. The idea of womanhood is concentrated there - as the wife. To the ordinary man in India, the whole force of womanhood is concentrated in motherhood. In the Western home, the wife rules. In an Indian home, the mother rules. If a mother comes into a Western home, she has to be subordinate to the wife; to the wife belongs the home. A mother always lives in our homes: the wife must be subordinate to her. See all the difference of ideas.

Now, I only suggest comparisons; I would state facts so that we may compare the two sides. Make this comparison. If you ask, "What is an Indian woman as wife?", the Indian asks, "Where is the American woman as mother? What is she, the all-glorious, who gave me this body? What is she who kept me in her body for nine months? Where is she who would give me twenty times her life, if I had need? Where is she whose love never dies, however wicked, however vile I am? Where is she, in comparison with her, who goes to the divorce court the moment I treat her a little badly? O American woman! where is she?" I will not find her in your country. I have not found the son who thinks mother is first. When we die, even then, we do not want our wives and our children to take her place. Our mother! - we want to die with our head on her lap once more, if we die before her. Where is she? Is woman a name to be coupled with the physical body only? Ay! the Hindu mind fears all those ideals which say that the flesh must cling unto the flesh. No, no! Woman! thou shalt not be coupled with anything connected with the flesh. The name has been called holy once and for ever, for what name is there which no lust can ever approach, no carnality ever come near, than the one word mother? That is the ideal in India.

I belong to an Order very much like what you have in the Mendicant Friars of the Catholic Church; that is to say, we have to go about without very much in the way of dress and beg from door to door, live thereby, preach to people when they want it, sleep where we can get a place - that way we have to follow. And the rule is that the members of this Order have to call every woman "mother"; to every woman and little girl we have to say "mother"; that is the custom. Coming to the West, that old habit remained and I would say to ladies, "Yes, mother", and they are horrified. I could not understand why they should be horrified. Later on, I discovered the reason: because that would mean that they are old. The ideal of womanhood in India is motherhood - that marvellous, unselfish, all-suffering, ever-forgiving mother. The wife walks behind-the shadow. She must imitate the life of the mother; that is her duty. But the mother is the ideal of love; she rules the family, she possesses the family. It is the father in India who thrashes the child and spanks when there is something done by the child, and always the mother puts herself between the father and the child. You see it is just the opposite here. It has become the mother's business to spank the children in this country, and poor father comes in between. You see, ideals are different. I do not mean this as any criticism. It is all good - this is what you do; but our way is what we have been taught for ages. You never hear of a mother cursing the child; she is forgiving, always forgiving. Instead of "Our Father in Heaven", we say "Mother" all the time; that idea and that word are ever associated in the Hindu mind with Infinite Love, the mother's love being the nearest approach to God's love in this mortal world of ours. "Mother, O Mother, be merciful; I am wicked! Many children have been wicked, but there never was a wicked mother" - so says the great saint Ramprasad

continued....
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 08:27:12 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Women of India-Swami Vivekananda
« Reply #1413 on: May 10, 2015, 08:20:41 AM »
Women of India continued...

There she is - the Hindu mother. The son's wife comes in as her daughter; just as the mother's own daughter married and went out, so her son married and brought in another daughter, and she has to fall in line under the government of the queen of queens, of his mother. Even I, who never married, belonging to an Order that never marries, would be disgusted if my wife, supposing I had married, dared to displease my mother. I would be disgusted. Why? Do I not worship my mother? Why should not her daughter-in-law? Whom I worship, why not she? Who is she, then, that would try to ride over my head and govern my mother? She has to wait till her womanhood is fulfilled; and the one thing that fulfils womanhood, that is womanliness in woman, is motherhood. Wait till she becomes a mother; then she will have the same right. That, according to the Hindu mind, is the great mission of woman - to become a mother. But oh, how different! Oh, how different! My father and mother fasted and prayed, for years and years, so that I would be born. They pray for every child before it is born. Says our great law-giver, Manu, giving the definition of an Aryan, "He is the Aryan, who is born through prayer". Every child not born through prayer is illegitimate, according to the great law-giver. The child must be prayed for. Those children that come with curses, that slip into the world, just in a moment of inadvertence, because that could not be prevented - what can we expect of such progeny? Mothers of America, think of that! Think in the heart of your hearts, are you ready to be women? Not any question of race or country, or that false sentiment of national pride. Who dares to be proud in this mortal life of ours, in this world of woes and miseries? What are we before this infinite force of God? But I ask you the question tonight: Do you all pray for the children to come? Are you thankful to be mothers, or not? Do you think that you are sanctified by motherhood, or not? Ask that of your minds. If you do not, your marriage is a lie, your womanhood is false, your education is superstition, and your children, if they come without prayer, will prove a curse to humanity.

See the different ideals now coming before us. From motherhood comes tremendous responsibility. There is the basis, start from that. Well, why is mother to be worshipped so much? Because our books teach that it is the pre-natal influence that gives the impetus to the child for good or evil. Go to a hundred thousand colleges, read a million books, associate with all the learned men of the world - better off you are when born with the right stamp. You are born for good or evil. The child is a born god or a born demon; that is what the books say. Education and all these things come afterwards - are a mere bagatelle. You are what you are born. Born unhealthful, how many drug stores, swallowed wholesale, will keep you well all through your life? How many people of good, healthy lives were born of weak parents, were born of sickly, blood-poisoned parents? How many? None - none. We come with a tremendous impetus for good or evil: born demons or born gods. Education or other things are a bagatelle.

Thus say our books: direct the pre-natal influence. Why should mother be worshipped? Because she made herself pure. She underwent harsh penances sometimes to keep herself as pure as purity can be. For, mind you, no woman in India thinks of giving up her body to any man; it is her own. The English, as a reform, have introduced at present what they call "Restitution of conjugal rights", but no Indian would take advantage of it. When a man comes in physical contact with his wife, the circumstances she controls through what prayers and through what vows! For that which brings forth the child is the holiest symbol of God himself. It is the greatest prayer between man and wife, the prayer that is going to bring into the world another soul fraught with a tremendous power for good or for evil. Is it a joke? Is it a simple nervous satisfaction? Is it a brute enjoyment of the body? Says the Hindu: no, a thousand times, no!

But then, following that, there comes in another idea. The idea we started with was that the ideal is the love for the mother - herself all-suffering, all-forbearing. The worship that is accorded to the mother has its fountain-head there. She was a saint to bring me into the world; she kept her body pure, her mind pure, her food pure, her clothes pure, her imagination pure, for years, because I would be born. Because she did that, she deserves worship. And what follows? Linked with motherhood is wifehood.

The complete talk can be read from here:
http://belurmath.org/complete_works_of_swami_vivekananda/volume_8/lectures_and_discourses/women_of_india_frame.htm
Namaskar
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 08:58:53 AM by Ravi.N »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: May 10, 2015, 09:48:47 AM »
Dear atmavichar, Ravi,

NICE posts to record today as Mothers Day.

There is an old story, whether it is Indian or not, I do not know.

Once a lady wanted her lover to bring his mother's heart as a gift for her.
The 'illustrious' son went promptly and killed his mother and was returning
back to his lady love, with heart on his hand, he was running fast, tripped on a stone on the road, and fell down, there was a voice telling, 'O son!  Have you hurt yourself?'

He looked around and found his mother's heart!

There could be bad sons. But never a bad mother.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: May 10, 2015, 10:13:22 AM »
When mother Azhagamma wanted to stay with her son, Sri Bhagavan, a few
devotees who were with Him resisted, because she was a lady and if she had
been permitted, other lady devotees like Echamma might also put up similar
requests.  However Bhagavan, quite unexpectedly agreed. He even went to the
extent of telling that if others did not permit, they would both go somewhere else in the
Hill and stay.   

In the beginning He was not even calling her Mother.  Later He started using the word "Mother" while addressing her.  A few years earlier during one of her visits to Arunachala,
when she was down with high fever and pneumonia He composed a five verse song praying to Arunachala to spare her life for a 'greater purpose.'

When Mother attained vidheha kaivalyam, He told devotees who were singing
songs from Tiruvachakam, 'Every thing is over.  ADANGI VITTATHU. There is
no impurity; let us all go and eat.'

After Samadhi ceremonies were over, Kavyakanta Ganapathi Muni composed
a eight verse Ashtakam, titled Aryamba  Ahtakam on Mother Azagamma.
He named the newly found water source (later a well) as Ahasamana Teertham,
the water that balances the mind.

I think it is only Sri Sankara and Sri Bhagavan who conferred mukti to their
mothers.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: May 10, 2015, 11:22:25 AM »
சலதி உலகத்தில் சராசரங்களை ஈன்ற தாய் ஆகில்,
     எனக்குத் தாய் அல்லவோ? யான் உன் மைந்தன் அன்றோ?
     எனது சஞ்சலம் தீர்த்து, நின்றன்
முலை சுரந்து ஒழுகு பால் ஊட்டி, என் முகத்தை உன்
     முந்தானையால் துடைத்து, மொழிகின்ற மழலைக்கு
     உகந்துகொண்டு, இள நிலா முறுவல் இன்புற்று, அருகில் யான்
குலவி விளையாடல் கொண்டு, அருள் மழை பொழிந்து,
     அங்கை கொட்டி, வா என்று அழைத்துக்,
     குஞ்சர முகன், கந்தனுக்கு இளையன் என்று எனைக்
     கூறினால், ஈனம் உண்டோ?
அலை கடலிலே தோன்றும் ஆராத அமுதமே!
     ஆதி கடவூரின் வாழ்வே!
     அமுதீசர் ஒரு பாகம் அகலாத சுகபாணி!
     அருள் வாமி! அபிராமியே! (9)

In the subject of worshipping mother for all her kindness, sufferings she had
undergone while giving birth to her son and thereafter in rearing him, I think
the above poem from Abhirami Ammai Padigam by Abhirami Bhattar has no
equal to it in Tamizh bhakti literature.  Some of Sri Sankara's poems in Sanskrit
like the one mentioned by atma vichar, and such as Devi Kshaparamadhana
Stothram reflect the same sentiments as Bhattar's.

It requires some effort to translate the above poem, which I shall do soon.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: May 10, 2015, 02:14:27 PM »
I was trying to go through Tiruvachakam for similar sentiments as Bhattar's
and came to the following verse in ANANDA MALAI, TIRUVACHAKAM.

தாயாய் முலையைத் தருவானே தாரா தொழிந்தாற் சவலையாய்
நாயேன் கழிந்து போவேனோ நம்பி யினித்தான் நல்குதியே
தாயே யென்றுன் தாளடைந்தேன் தயாநீ என்பால் இல்லையே
நாயேன் அடிமை உடனாக ஆண்டாய் நான்தான் வேண்டாவோ.

You, as mother give me, breast for feeding me. IF you don't give,
I shall suffer like a savalai* baby, this dog. Please give me now too. O
Mother, I came to Your feet, O Lord are you not with me? You have taken
over me and ruled me. Did I say 'no'? (and thus be independent?).

(* How to explain who is a savalai baby? Only Tamizh children and Tamizh
mothers can understand this.  It is somewhat like a baby whose sibling is
already born in as much it is denied mother's milk.)

Arunachala Siva. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 02:38:16 PM by Subramanian.R »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: May 10, 2015, 07:25:43 PM »
PM Modi wanted to be a monk in the Ramakrishna Order but was turned down thrice as the senior Swami there felt that his destiiny lay elsewhere .For more refer this link

http://www.rediff.com/news/report/modis-spiritual-break-bonds-with-monks-as-ghar-ka-ladka/20150510.htm
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: May 12, 2015, 12:12:57 PM »
Today is Saint Tirunavukkarasar's Liberation Day, Chaitra Sadabhisha star day.
Saiva Siddhantis call the liberation day as day of Guru pooja.

Tirunavukkarasar, was called Marul neekkiyar in his younger days.  He was the son
of the agricultural family couple Pugazhan and Maadhini in Tiruvamoor.  He had an
elder sister by name Tilakavathi.  The parents fixed their daughter's wedding with one
Kalippagaiyar - a warrior class boy, but before the marriage could be held,
Kalippagai was called by the king to lead an army to North India for a war.
Klippagai died inthe war.  Grief stricken, the parents died one after another.
Tilakavathi wanted to die, but was prevented by her younger brother Marul
Neekkiyar, to live to take care of him, to which she agreed, reluctantly.

Marul Neekkiyar became depressed about the world.  He read many spiritual
texts but they could not bring him peace.  He went to Pataliputram (the present
day Cuddalore) and joined a Jaina math. In Jainism, he got the name Dharma Sena
and was reading Jaina spiritual works avidly. Some years passed like this.

One day Dharma Sena became afflicted with colic pain, for no apparent cause.
The pain became more and more severe, day by day. The Jainas tried to cure
him with holy waters, mantras, touching with peacock feather etc., but there was
no cure.  Dharma Sena was left in a room, with a servant, to lie down and bear
the pain all by himself. Dharma Sena wanted to meet his sister Tilakavathi before
he breathed last. He sent news through the servant.  The servant went to Tiruvamoor
but she was not there. He then went to Tiruvadhigai, with neighbors advice. In
Tiruvadghgai, Tilakavathi was given the news and was requested to come to Pataliputram,
to meet her younger brother.  The sister refused saying that she would never step
into a Jaina math.  The servant accordingly went back to Pataliputra, and informed
Dharma Sena. Dharma Sena then came to Tiruvadigai without the knowledge of
Jaina at night.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: May 12, 2015, 12:46:45 PM »
Dharma Sena came to his sister in the early morning and fell at her feet.  She
told him to rise up and said - it is my Siva, the all knowing who brought you here.
She then bathed him and gave him white dhoti and also Vibhuti. Dharma Sena then
went to Tirvadigai temple on the cremation ground, Tiuvadigai Veerasthanam.
There he sang his first  verse kootrayinavaaRu..... As he was singing verse after
verse, the colic pain left him. Tilakavathi became happy and immensely grateful
to  the Lord. Dharma Sena also became grateful to Siva. He took up the shovel
and started cleaning the temple precincts.

Dharma Sena went from there to some nearby Siva temples and sang verses
in praise of the Lord and His consort.  Meantime. the Jainas came to know about
Dharma Sena and his voluntary conversion to Saivism.  They went and complained
to the king Gunaparavarma Pallavan, who had embraced Jainism. The king arrested the
saint and punished him.  The saint was put into a hot calcium kiln. He came out
without any harm after the stipulated time.  In the kiln too, he sang a song in
praise of Siva. The king then gave poison mixed with food.  Nothing happened
to the saint. He then made him to sink in ocean with a huge stone tied to his body.
The stone started to float with no danger to the saint.  The king became panicky
and released the saint with a request to forgive him.  He then drove the Jainas out
of his kingdom and knocked down their maths and lodging houses.

The saint went to several other Siva temples and prayed and sang verses on
the Lord. He went to Thillai - Chidambaram and had a saisfying darshan of
Nataraja. There he was given the name Tiru Navukkarasar by Siva Himself.
Navukkarasar - King of tongue, that is sweet tongued poet. There he came to
know about Tiru Jnana Sambandhar, and rushed to meet the child-saint.
Both had a soulful meeting.  The child saint addressed Tiru Navukkarasar endearingly as
Appa! - Father. Thus the saint also came to be called Appar.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 12:53:08 PM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: May 12, 2015, 01:41:13 PM »

Appar then came to a temple called Thoongaanai Matham, in Pennadagam.  There
Appar prayed to the Lord for marking the symbol of RISHABHA and Soolam on his
shoulders.  Siva then sent one of his bhootas (member of Siva's retuinue) and
marked the symbols on Appar's shoulder. Then Appar and Jnana Sambandhar
traveled together to several temples and came to Tirukkadaiyoor. There, Appar
requested the Lord to confer tiruvadi deeksha, i.e paada diksha. Siva came
in his dream and conferred tiruvadi deeksha to Appar.

Both the saints then went together to Tiruveezhimizhalai.  There was a widespread
famine in and around the place and both the saints standing on the front and rear
gates requested the Lord to give them gold so that they could exchange them for
rice and vegetables for feeding the suffering citizens. Accordingly the Lord gave them
each one gold coin everyday and they fed the people by exchanging them for foodstuff.

They then went to TirumaRaikkadu, Vedaranyam.  The temple was locked by devas
due to some reason and no one could enter the temple. Both saints stood outside
and Appar sang a verse and the doors opened!  They went inside and had darshan
of Siva. When they came out, Sambandhar sang a Padigam and the doors closed
again.

After visiting some more temples, the saints got separated since Sambandhar
had to go to Madurai at the request of Mangayarkarasi, the Pandyan Queen.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: May 13, 2015, 08:34:52 AM »
After visiting some temples in Tiruvaiyaru, Tiruppazhanam and Tirup poonthurithi,
Navukkarasar came to Thingaloor, on the banks of Kaveri. There in the village,
he found several  free lodging and boarding homes, water and buttermilk supply
stalls in the name - Tirunavukkarasar!  He found out on inquiry that one Appoothi
Adigal, a rich land lord and philanthropist was running all these and he was a great
devotee of Tirunavukkarasar.

He met Appoothi Adigal and introduced himself and Adigal became very happy
and embraced him with great joy. He took him to his house for lunch.  At home
the saint was surprised  to know that Adigal had also named his two sons as elder
and younger Tirunavukkarasu!  The saint sat for his lunch.  Adigal called his son
to cut and bring a plantain leaf for the guest's lunch. When the boy went to the
backyard to bring a leaf, a snake stung him and he fell down crying.  The saint
and the father rushed to the backyard and were shocked to know the boy's
condition.  The saint took the boy to Siva's temple in the village and sang a song
appealing to Siva to save the child.  The serpent came there and sucked back
the poison and the boy got up fully well.

The saint then went to several temples like Madurai in Pandya kingdom and came
back to the temple at Tirup pukaloor. He had by that time become quite old
and decided to stay there itself doing cleaning work in temple precincts every day.
The Lord also decided to absorb him into His Abode.  The damsels from heaven
appeared before him and danced. They also spread rubies, emerald, diamonds
in the garbage which the saint was cleaning.  The saint looked at the damsels and
said:  What is the use of dancing before me whose mind has already been robbed
by my Lord?  Go back to Indra and dance.  He then swept the precious stones along
with the garbage and threw them away!

The Lord of Tiruppukaloor then took him to His Abode.

concluded.

Arunachala Siva.   
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 08:37:11 AM by Subramanian.R »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: May 13, 2015, 04:15:32 PM »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: May 17, 2015, 01:43:17 PM »
SADHU EKARASA - Dr. G.H. Mees.

Sadhu Ekarasa (Dr. G.H. Mees, M.A., LL.D.) was a Dutch scholar
who came to the Maharshi in 1936. For him it was a case of deep
devotion from the very first meeting. When Kon-Fu-Tse met Wen-Poh-
Hsuche-Tse, he did not speak a word. Then his companion, Tse-Lu, said,
Master, for a long time you have wished to see Wen-Poh-Hsuche-Tse. Why is it that you don't speak, now that you see him, Kon-Fu-Tse answered, One only needs to look at
someone like him. There is no need for speaking. One must see a sage in
order to experience him.

In the presence of the Maharshi, the same thing happened to me
when I saw him for the first time, and during the many years that I visited
him again and again, especially during the three years that I stayed near
him almost without interruption. It is for this same reason I find it ever
difficult to speak or write about the Maharshi, as I am often asked to do.
For a sage who always lives in the realization, St Dionysius's words hold
good: All that you may say about God is untrue, for God is beyond speech
and therefore what you say about God relates to something else.? Therefore,
if in India someone asks me to speak or to write about the Maharshi, I am
inclined to answer that the questioner ought to visit the Maharshi and see
for himself.

Westerners have often asked me, What exactly does the
Maharshi do?? One should in fact answer, The daily occupation of the
Sage is to be himself.? Because he really succeeds in doing so, the
Maharshi makes such a great impression on many of his visitors.The
Maharshi effects drastic changes in the lives of many like me. That is
what he does, and he does so by doing nothing at all. Often the great of
this earth? feel like small schoolboys while standing before him. The late
Maharaja of Mysore knelt humbly before him and stood motionless
for a long time with tears in his eyes. He knelt once more and departed
without a word. If a man were to do the greatest deed in the world and come and
sit in the presence of Ramana Maharshi he would realize that his deed was
nothing compared to the perpetual deed of Self-realization of the Sage.

If a man were to write the greatest book in the world and come
and lay it as an offering before the Sage he would realize that the Sage
was a greater Book, which is written from day to day, not with the medium
of pen, ink and paper, without intermediation, and even without any
conscious effort, in the inner being of all who care to come and read it.
In the case of other personalities it is always possible to make a
distinction between theory and practice, or between spirituality and intellect
on the one hand and action on the other hand. With the Maharshi no such
distinction exists. The Maharshi is above the spirit of time. His immortality
stands out from his every word and look. It lives in the inner heart
of all who have had the great privilege to come and sit in his
presence. It is reflected only poorly in the books and articles that have
been written about him. How could it be otherwise? No one can truly
describe God or Truth. Even so, no one can truly describe a Son of God
and an embodiment of Truth.

After having studied the lives and ways of teachings of saints and
sages of the world, it strikes one that Sri Ramana falls into a class of his
own. No one has achieved God-Realization merely by hearing a name of
God. Sri Ramana received initiation by merely hearing the name of
Arunachala, pronounced only for the purpose of conveying information
about a journey.

Sri Ramana claimed his spiritual heritage without even having been
told there was a heritage to claim. He is a Guru in the true sense of the
word  the word means dispeller of darkness. The Maharshi's way is as
direct as it is simple. But it is so profound that it fails to reach the
consciousness of many. Many come to him for something definite, or, in
other words, finite. They do not understand that they stand in between the
true Initiation into the Mystery of Being and themselves.

Many times it has happened that visitors and resident disciples
have asked the Maharshi to vouchsafe them initiation, grace, blessings or
spiritual experience, and that he replied, I am always giving it. If you
cannot comprehend it, what am I to do?

In contradiction to gurus of a less exalted level, who are inclined
to be aware of their spiritual superiority, Ramana Maharshi considers all
beings to be potential jnanis with God-Reality shining within them, even if
they are not aware of it. Some of his utterances run parallel to that of the
eighth century mystic Hui Neng who said: The only difference between a
Buddha and the average man is that one realizes what the other discards.

Sri Ramana proclaims that the Divine Heritage is ever there, waiting to be
received; God-Reality is ever present within the Heart of all.
The average man is inclined to pity the Sage, whom he regards as
having foregone the pleasure of life.The Sage, however, pities his
sympathizing fellow human beings, because the latter do not know what
real happiness is. 

( Taken from Face to Face... Sri Ramana Kendra, Hyderabad.)

Source: Asramam's website.

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 01:56:53 PM by Subramanian.R »