Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 283919 times)

Balaji

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #1395 on: April 30, 2015, 01:24:02 PM »
Dear Atmavichar

Very nice posting
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: April 30, 2015, 01:42:20 PM »
Dear ATMAVICHAR,

Nice list.  Very nice indeed.

One can surely add this:

Teach them your mother tongue, in case they study in English medium school.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: April 30, 2015, 10:08:44 PM »
Questioner: As a child fairly often I experienced states of complete happiness, verging on ecstasy: later, they ceased, but since I came to India they reappeared, particularly after I met you. Yet these states, however wonderful, are not lasting. They come and go and there is no knowing when they will come back.

Maharaj: How can anything be steady in a mind which itself is not steady?

Q: How can I make my mind steady?

M: How can an unsteady mind make itself steady? Of course it cannot. It is the nature of the mind to roam about. All you can do is to shift the focus of consciousness beyond the mind.

Q: How is it done?

M: Refuse all thoughts except one: the thought 'I am'. The mind will rebel in the beginning, but with patience and perseverance it will yield and keep quiet. Once you are quiet, things will begin to happen spontaneously and quite naturally without any interference on your part.

I AM THAT 8
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: April 30, 2015, 10:10:25 PM »

Sure Subramaniam Sir , learning one's own mother tongue is very important .
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 10:12:26 PM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: May 01, 2015, 10:29:37 PM »
Generally you perform your daily worship in the accustomed manner. If you feel the desire to practice some extra japa or meditation, it shows that you have caught a glimpse, however faint, and there is then hope that gradually the rhythm of your true nature may emerge. In this condition, the sense of ?I? (aham) still persists, but this I is turned towards the Eternal, intent on union with Him.

Whereas, actions done with a view to fame or distinction are of the ego (ahamkara), and therefore obstacles, impediments.

Whether you practice hathayoga or rajayoga, or any other yoga, it can be harmful only if pure spiritual aspiration is lacking.
When doing asanas and the like, if you have found access to nature?s own rhythm, you will see that everything proceeds smoothly and spontaneously.

Ma Anandmayee

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: May 02, 2015, 08:50:03 AM »
Friends,
An excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
BANKIM (to the Master): "Sir, how can one develop divine love?"
MASTER: "Through restlessness-the restlessness a child feels for his mother. The child feels bewildered when he is separated from his mother, and weeps longingly for her. If a man can weep like that for God he can even see Him.
"At the approach of dawn the eastern horizon becomes red. Then one knows it will soon be sunrise. Likewise, if you see a person restless for God, you can be pretty certain that he hasn't long to wait for His vision.
"A disciple asked his teacher, 'Sir, please tell me how I can see God.' 'Come with me,' said the guru, 'and I shall show you.' He took the disciple to a lake, and both of them got into the water. Suddenly the teacher pressed the disciple's head under the water. After a few moments he released him and the disciple raised his head and stood up. The guru asked him, 'How did you feel?' The disciple said, 'Oh! I thought I should die; I was panting for breath.' The teacher said, 'When you feel like that for God, then you will know you haven't long to wait for His vision.'
(To Bankim) "Let me tell you something. What will you gain by floating on the surface? Dive a little under the water. The gems lie deep under the water; so what is the good of throwing your arms and legs about on the surface? A real gem is heavy. It doesn't float; it sinks to the bottom. To get the real gem you must dive deep."
BANKIM: "Sir, what can we do? We are tied to a cork. It prevents us from diving." (All laugh.)
MASTER: "All sins vanish if one only remembers God. His name breaks the fetters of death. You must dive; otherwise you can't get the gem. Listen to a song."
The Master sang in his sweet voice:

Dive deep, O mind, dive deep in the Ocean of God's Beauty;
If you descend to the uttermost depths,
There you will find the gem of Love.
Go seek, O mind, go seek Vrindavan in your heart,
Where with His loving devotees
Sri Krishna sports eternally.
Light up, O mind, light up true wisdom's shining lamp,
And let it burn with steady flame
Unceasingly within your heart.
Who is it that steers your boat across the solid earth?
It is your guru, says Kabir;
Meditate on his holy feet.

All listened spellbound. Again Sri Ramakrishna began to talk.
MASTER (to Bankim): "There are some who do not want to dive. They say, 'Won't we become deranged if we go to excess about God?' Referring to those who are intoxicated with divine love, they say, 'These people have lost their heads.' But they don't understand this simple thing: God is the Ocean of Amrita, Immortality. Once I said to Narendra:'Suppose there were a cup of syrup and you were a fly. Where would you sit to drink the syrup?' Narendra said, 'I would sit on the edge of the cup and stretch out my neck to drink it.' 'Why?' I asked. 'What's the harm of plunging into the middle of the cup and drinking the syrup?' Narendra answered, 'Then I should stick in the syrup and die.' 'My child,' I said to him, 'that isn't the nature of the Nectar of Satchidananda. It is the Nectar of Immortality. Man does not die from diving into It. On the contrary he becomes immortal.'
"Therefore I say, dive deep. Don't be afraid. By diving deep in God one becomes immortal."

Namaskar

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: May 02, 2015, 09:58:57 AM »
In the May issue of Saranagati (e magazine of the Asramam), there is a letter
from Smt. Gayatri Devi Vasudev, a world-famous astrologer, to Asramam.
This is actually a reply by Smt. Vasudev, to the request made by the Asramam
authorities, who had asked her to analyze the time of Sri Bhagavan's Maha Nirvana
i.e 14th April 1950, Friday, 8.47 P.M. She says that she had not seen a most
auspicious time in her 43 years of service in astrological profession. All the planets
in RASI Chart and NAVAMSA chart of the time (8.47 pm.) are in significant houses/
in exaltation, that indicate a realized soul leaving the shackles of body. (Bhagavan
had checked the almanac, without any reasons, specifically noted by devotees,
about a few days before Maha Nirvana!).

Inidentally Smt. GAYATRI Devi Vasudev, had written an article - which
had appeared in Mountain Path issue a few years back - about the
most probable date of Sri Bhagavan's Death Experience and Realization of
the Self. According to her the date was 17th July 1896.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: May 02, 2015, 02:56:00 PM »
Indian Land Mass - 55 million years ago.

India was an island floating off the coast of Australia. Around 55 million years
ago, the Indian land mass northwards. - (Perhaps the ancient Tamizh literature
called it Lemuria.)

More than 25 million years ago, the Indian land mass collided with Asia as it
moved northwards.

Since the initial encounter, the sub continent has moved 2,000 km. farther north
at a rate of 5 cm. a year(!), sliding beneath Asia as it moves.

As the two land masses collide, the forces have pushed up the highest mountains
in the world in the Himalayas, and set off devastating earthquakes, regularly.

The earthquake that had occurred to the northwest of Kathmandu and the
surrounding valley, sit on an ancient dried up lake bed, which contributed
to the devastation.

As the gault shifted 3 m. along the rupture zone - between Indian Plate
and Eurasian Plate, it passed by Kathmandu at a relatively shallow depth
of about 145 km. causing massive shaking at the aurface. The earthquake
moved the city by 3 m. south, according to experts.

Records dating to 1255  A.D. indicate the region experiences a magnitude 8,
earthquake approximately every 75 years.  The region's last earthquake of
such a magnitude was 81 years ago in 1934.

(Source:  The New York Times.)

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: May 02, 2015, 04:05:24 PM »

ஒருமுறை சென்னையில் காஞ்சி ஸ்ரீ பரமாச்சார்யார் சிவானந்தலஹரியை விளக்கி பல நாட்கள் உபன்யாசம் செய்து கொண்டிருந்தார் (1930-களில் நடந்தது). அப்போது ஒருநாள், பக்தர்களில் ஒருவர் மகா பெரியவாளை அணுகி, தனக்கு சிவானந்தலஹரியின் நூறு ஸ்லோகங்களையும் தினம் பாராயணம் செய்வது கடினமாக இருப்பதாக ரமண மகரிஷிகளிடம் சொன்னதாகவும் அதற்கு ரமணர் அதில் வெவ்வேறு வரிசையில் வரும் பத்து ஸ்லோகங்களைப் பொறுக்கிக் கொடுத்தார் என்றும் சொன்னார் (ஸ்லோகம் - 6,9,10,11,12,61,65,76,83 & 91). அப்படிச் சொல்லிவிட்டு, அந்த மாதிரி முழுதும் சொல்லாமல் குறுக்கிய சாரத்தை மட்டும் பாராயணம் செய்வது பற்றி பெரியவரின் அபிப்ராயத்தை அறிய விரும்பினார். அப்படி அவர் கேட்டவுடனேயே ?பேஷாகப் பாராயணம் செய்யலாம்; ரமணர் சொன்ன பின் ஏன் இந்தக் கேள்வி?? என்று பதில் கேள்வி கேட்பதன் மூலம், தன் சார்பாகவும் அதை ஆமோதித்தார்.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: May 05, 2015, 07:14:55 AM »
When will one be ready to surrender totally to God or Guru?  I am of the view that
unless one experiences indescribable suffering, finding that his own effort to
overcome the suffering, will be of no avail, he will not be ready himself to surrender.
One cannot do self inquiry at that juncture.

Surrender is a point at which one's last thread of ego also gets snapped and
he begins to realize that only His Will would prevail. Like Sri Bhagavan says
in Arunachala Aksharamanamalai - verse 105: 'I am a weakling. (I can put no
more efforts on my own to overcome this predicament). Please save me so
that I can experience some happiness and you live long.' Sri Bhagavan also
says succinctly NIN ISHTAM, EN ISHTAM. -  Your will is my will. Sri Bhagavan
also says in Padigam verse 2: You are the bliss that sprouts from love. This
love only becomes surrender in course of time, when a person is in the midst
of acute suffering.

ABHIRAMI Bhattar who is punished by the king for calling a new moon day as
full moon day, had the greatest bhakti towards Abhirami, the goddess.  When
he had to experience suffering due to a possibilty of impending death, this
bhakti blossomed into surrender, and his 100 verses are only outpourings of
total surrender.

So also the case of Tiruavukkarasar, one of the great four saiva saints.
He embraced Jainism to find solace for his grief. But when he had colic pain
which could not be cured by Jaina medicines and mantra chantings, he
came back to Tiruvadigai to see his sister.  She gave vibhuti and he immediately
went to Tiruvadigai temple and sang in front of Siva which is only a loud cry of
surreneder.  Later, when the Jaina king punished him, as per the recommendations
of  Jaina priests, again he sang -- this time not out of fear of suffering or death, but
by sure hope of the Lord to help him out from the royal punishments -.

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 07:18:38 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: May 05, 2015, 07:27:08 AM »
Sri Bhagavan says Total surrender and Self inquiry are the two sides of the same
coin. It is in the sense that both have something to do with the ego.  In
total surrender, this happens at the last and in Self inquiry ego should be
killed first.

I think in case of atheists and agnostics, it is not at all possible because
for them, the ego not the Almighty is the central fulcrum around which
their lives revolve.

Arunachala Siva. 

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: May 05, 2015, 07:45:06 AM »
Bhaktas or devotees of God are of four types. Arta, Jijnasu, Artharthi and Jnani. Arta is the distressed devotee who is suffering very much and who craves for the grace of God, in order to get himself relieved from pain and sorrow, Jijnasu is the seeker after knowledge, who feels that he is ignorant, and who wants the grace of God in order to have Wisdom. Artharthi is the seeker of wealth, who longs for earthly possessions, money, land, etc., in order to enjoy a happy life, and who propitiates God to get His grace to amass wealth. Jnani is the wise, the sage who is satisfied with the Self, who is contented in the Self, who has no desires, who is freed from desires, who has fulfilled all desires, whose only desire is the Self; who considers his own Self as the All-inclusive God.

The distressed is he who is suffering from a chronic incurable disease, whose life is in jeopardy on account of earthquake, volcanic eruption, thunder, attack by a dacoit or enemy, tiger etc. Draupadi and Gajendra are examples of Arta-Bhaktas. When Dussasana dragged her before the court of the Kauravas and pulled her sari, Draupadi cried for Krishna in order to guard her respect. Gajendra called on Narayana when a crocodile was dragging him in water.

Jijnasu is the enquirer. He is dissatisfied with the world. There is a void in his life. He always feels that sensual pleasure is not the highest form of happiness and there is yet pure eternal bliss unmixed with grief and pain, which is to be found within. Uddhava was a Jijnasu. He was dissatisfied with the world and got wisdom from Sri Krishna. This is recorded in the Bhagavata.

The seeker after wealth craves for money, wife, children, position, name and fame. Sugriva and Dhruva were Artharthi-Bhaktas. Sugriva wanted to drive away Vali and get his kingdom. Vibhishana wanted to put an end to Ravana and get Lanka. Dhruva wanted a kingdom where his step mother would not trouble and ill-treat him.

The Jnani is a man of knowledge who has attained Self-illumination. Suka-Maharshi was a Jnani-Bhakta. He was a Brahma-Jnani of the highest type. He realised that everything was his own Self. He taught the Srimad-Bhagavata to Parikshit.

There is another type of Bhaktas, called Vaira Bhaktas. These Bhaktas are negative Bhaktas. They do not have positive devotion for God. They hate God and thus remember Him always. Hatred also requires a constant remembrance of the enemy. So these also are a kind of Bhaktas only. They attain salvation through Vaira-Bhakti. Kamsa, Sisupala and others thought of the Lord constantly on account of their deep hatred for Him. Thus they attained Salvation.

Four Kinds of Bhaktas-by Swami Sivananda

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: May 07, 2015, 07:33:55 AM »
Dear subramaniyan 

Regarding bhagavan's nirvana time.... As He was a Brahma gnani He does not any sankalpa to leave this world in auspious time but all devas, navagrahas welcomed Him in aauspious time.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: May 07, 2015, 08:29:08 AM »
Dear ramanaduli,

Yes.  In a way you are correct. A Brahma Jnani is never born, and he is eternal,
with no death or birth.  But for us, the devotees / onlookers, there is birth
and death also for a Brahma Jnani. Swami Suddhananda Bharati (the author
of Sri Ramana Vijayam, Tamizh biography), during his stay in the Asramam,
cast the horoscope of Sri Bhagavan and said the horoscope cearly indicated
that He would be a Sannyasi at the age of seventeen. Sri Bhagavan listened
to this and simply smiled. What else He could do?

All Sciences are only towards a third person/object and are therefore only
appearances; so also is astrology.  It is like scientists finding out God in
God's Particle in a laboratory with Large Hadron Collider!

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: May 07, 2015, 08:51:44 PM »

?Repeat God?s name and sing His glories, and keep holy company; and now and then visit God?s devotees and holy men. The mind cannot dwell on God if it is immersed day and night in worldliness, in worldly duties and responsibilities; it is most necessary to go into solitude now and then and think of God. To fix the mind on God is very difficult in the beginning, unless one practises meditation in solitude. When the tree is young, it should be fenced all around; otherwise it may be destroyed by cattle.?

Sri Ramakrishna