Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 357398 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #1380 on: April 13, 2015, 01:53:19 PM »
Sri Sadhu Om continues...

Do we not know about the existence of three persons, the first person, second person and the third person?
But we have made research on all these three persons and have we tried to find out what the nature of each one
of them is? No. We have so far made research only upon the second and third persons, and we have failed till
now to scrutinize or make research upon the first person. How? See the way in which we make use of our power
of attention when we wake up from sleep. As soon as we wake up, the first thing we know is our body, and then
we notice the place where we are lying, the objects which surround us, the outside world and so on. Knowing
all these things is only a second person attention.  Thus when we wake up, our power of attention springs out only
towards second and third person objects.Then, until we fall asleep again,our power of attention continues to dwell
upon the second and third persons by clinging to and experiencing the objects known through the five senses.
At night as soon as sleep overpowers us, our attention towards second persons ceases. What exactly happens
to the power of attention in sleep is not correctly known to any one except to those who have attained the
Self Knowledge. In this manner, from the moment  of waking up till the moment of going to sleep,from birth till
death, from creation till dissolution, all people - indeed all living beings - direct their power of attention only towards
second and third person objects, and no one ever directs it towards the first person This great error is what is called
the Original Sin*

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.           

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: April 14, 2015, 07:11:04 AM »
Friends,
An excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
Reassurance to the devotees & Parable of the tigress
Sri Ramakrishna spoke reassuringly to the devotees.
MASTER (to M.): "Some think: 'Oh, I am a bound soul. I shall never acquire knowledge and devotion.' But if one receives the guru's grace, one has nothing to fear. Once a tigress attacked a flock of goats. As she sprang on her prey, she gave birth to a cub and died. The cub grew up in the company of the goats. The goats ate grass and the cub followed their example. They bleated; the cub bleated too. Gradually it grew to be a big tiger. One day another tiger attacked the same flock. It was amazed to see the grass-eating tiger. Running after it, the wild tiger at last seized it, whereupon the grass-eating tiger began to bleat. The wild tiger dragged it to the water and said: 'Look at your face in the water. It is just like mine. Here is a little meat. Eat it.' Saying this, it thrust some meat into its mouth. But the grass-eating tiger would not swallow it and began to bleat again. Gradually, however, it got the taste for blood and came to relish the meat. Then the wild tiger said: 'Now you see there is no difference between you and me. Come along and follow me into the forest.'
"So there can be no fear if the guru's grace descends on one. He will let you know who you are and what your real nature is.If the devotee practises spiritual discipline a little, the guru explains everything to him. Then the disciple understands for himself what is real and what is unreal. God alone is real, and the world is illusory."

Parable of the false ascetic
"One night a fisherman went into a garden and cast his net into the lake in order to steal some fish. The owner heard him and surrounded him with his servants. They brought lighted torches and began to search for him. In the mean time the fisherman smeared his body with ashes and sat under a tree, pretending to be a holy man. The owner and his men searched a great deal but could not find the thief. All they saw was a holy man covered with ashes, meditating under a tree. The next day the news spread in the neighbourhood that a great sage was staying in the garden. People gathered there and saluted him with offerings of fruit, flowers, and sweets. Many also offered silver and copper coins. 'How strange!' thought the fisherman. 'I am not a genuine holy man, and still people show such devotion to me. I shall certainly realize God if I become a true sadhu. There is no doubt about it.'
"If a mere pretence of religious life can bring such spiritual awakening, you can imagine the effect of real sadhana. In that state you will surely realize what is real and what is unreal. God alone is real, and the world is illusory."

Namaskar

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: April 14, 2015, 11:44:50 AM »
Sri Sadhu Om continues....

There are some people who ask,'How can it be said that no one ever directs their attention towards the first person?
Both in the East and in the West so many people have on so many occasions pondered over the nature of the mind,
and as a result they  have written innumerable books on psychology. Is this not research upon the first person?'

If any researcher, who ever he may be, had directed his power of attention towards the correct first person,he
would certainly have attained Self Knowledge. All the ancient sages of India realized the truth in the end only by
knowing the real nature of this first person.  Even in the West there have occasionally been people here and there,
who have attained Self Knowledge in the same way.  Therefore, if any people who have written heaps of books
on psychology have not after all their research come to the same conclusion as that which is proclaimed by Vedanta,
namely that 'I' alone is the absolute truth, and if they have not thereby attained the true experience of the Self,  we will
have to conclude that their research was not a scrutiny of the correct first person.  All that they have done was to attend
to a second person object called 'mind.'

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: April 15, 2015, 10:19:33 AM »
"GO? WHERE CAN I GO? I SHALL ALWAYS BE HERE!"
It is distinctly stated in the Upanishads that the life- force of a Brahmanishtha never leaves his body, but inheres in the heart itself. If the Samadhi (tomb) is properly maintained and approached, it will confer inestimable bliss on the devotee, granting him boons.
This view is supported by Tirumular?s ?Tiru-mantram?, a Tamil classic, which states that the Jnani, whether in the embodied or disembodied state, is Brahman Himself and, as the Guru of all his children, personally takes care of them and blesses them. This authoritative work also proclaims the omnipresent character of the Jnani after giving up his body. Again, the Agamas state that, even if the Brahmanishtha has decided to cast off his coat and take up his abode elsewhere, he leaves in his old body one of his sixteen kalas, which is all powerful, to shed forth his blessing.
If it is felt that Sri Ramana is still actually in our midst and his presence is to be found most easily at the spot where he lived so long and his body is buried, surely this is only natural. Is it not the tradition amongst all great religions of the world, with no exception? Even the Muslims revere the graves of accredited saints, while the Buddhists go on tiresome pilgrimages just to pay reverence to some relic. People do not take all this trouble unless they feel there is a very good reason.
When Sri Ramana lay dying, people went to him and begged him to remain for a while longer as they needed his help. His reply is well known.
?Go! Where can I go? I shall always be here.?
The power of Sri Ramana, who gave up his physical form has not diminished. He is everywhere, like the light in a room shed by an electric bulb. But the light is found to be far stronger near the bulb, the source of light, than in any other part of the room, though no spot is in darkness. What wonder, then, if the power of our Guru is found near the place where his body is interred?
- Major Chadwick, 'A Sadhu?s Reminiscences of Ramana Maharshi'
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 10:25:46 AM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: April 15, 2015, 12:18:56 PM »
Sri Sadhu Om, in Part II of the Path of Sri Ramana:

All that psychologists have made made research upon this, is objective aspect of the mind. And they have never made
research upon its subjective aspect, the first person thought 'I'.  Since all the thoughts which form the objective aspect
of the mind are only second persons, any research made upon them cannot be a scrutiny of the first person. It is only
a research made upon an object - drisya - which is known by us as other than 'I', the knowing subject - drik-   Books
on psychology, parapsychology and other such sciences which relate to the nature of the mind are merely the outcome
of the research which has been made upon the mysteries of this second person mind, because such sciences are concerned
only with investigating and knowing the mind as an object -- that is, they merely seek what are the various ways in
which the mind can function,which are all the secret powers which lie hidden within the mind, what are the means by which
such wonderful powers may be roused and developed so that they can be used as supernatural attainments - siddhis -
in order to achieve one's own selfish ends, and so on and forth.  Thus even sciences like psychology turn out to be only
a research made upon a second person object. Just as other scientists made research upon gross second and third
person objects such as atoms,psychologists make research upon a subtle second person object called mind.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.           

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: April 16, 2015, 05:19:10 PM »
Talk 213
Devotee :
Why the mind cannot be turned inward in spite of repeated attempts.

Maharshi :
It is done by practice and dispassion and that succeeds only gradually. The mind, having been so long a cow accustomed to graze stealthily on others estates, is not easily confined to her stall. However much her keeper tempts her with luscious grass and fine fodder, she refuses the first time; then she takes a bit; but her innate tendency to stray away asserts itself; and she slips away; on being repeatedly tempted by the owner, she accustomed herself to the stall; finally even if let loose she would not stray away. Similarly with the mind. If once it finds its inner happiness it will not wander outward.
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: April 18, 2015, 09:16:06 AM »
Friends,

Sri Ramakrishna went to the Panchavati on his way back to his room. M. accompanied him. It was then about ten o'clock.
Path of the Impersonal God
M: "Sir, is there no spiritual discipline leading to realization of the Impersonal God?"
MASTER: "Yes, there is. But the path is extremely difficult. After intense austerities the rishis of olden times realized God as their inner most consciousness and experienced the real nature of Brahman. But how hard they had to work! They went out of their dwellings in the early morning and all day practised austerities and meditation. Returning home at nightfall, they took a light supper of fruit and roots.
"But an aspirant cannot succeed in this form of spiritual discipline if his mind is stained with worldliness even in the slightest degree. The mind must withdraw totally from all objects of form, taste, smell, touch, and sound. Only thus does it become pure. The Pure Mind is the same as the Pure Atman. But such a mind must be altogether free from 'woman and gold'. When it becomes pure, one has another experience. One realizes: 'God alone is the Doer, and I am His instrument.' One does not feel oneself to be absolutely necessary to others either in their misery or in their happiness.
"Once a wicked man beat into unconsciousness a monk who lived in a monastery. On regaining consciousness he was asked by his friends, 'Who is feeding you milk?' The monk said, 'He who beat me is now feeding me.' "
M: "Yes, sir. I know that story."
Obstacles to samadhi
MASTER: "It is not enough to know it. One must assimilate its meaning. It is the thought of worldly objects that prevents the mind from going into samadhi. One becomes established in samadhi when one is completely rid of worldliness. It is possible for me to give up the body in samadhi; but I have a slight desire to enjoy the love of God and the company of His devotees. Therefore I pay a little attention to my body.
"There is another kind of samadhi, called unmana samadhi. One attains it by suddenly gathering the dispersed mind. You understand what that is, don't you?"
M: "Yes, sir."
MASTER: "Yes. It is the sudden withdrawal of the dispersed mind to the Ideal. But that samadhi does not last long. Worldly thoughts intrude and destroy it. The yogi slips down from his yoga.
"At Kamarpukur I have seen the mongoose living in its hole up in the wall. It feels snug there. Sometimes people tie a brick to its tail; then the pull of the brick makes it come out of its hole. Every time the mongoose tries to be comfortable inside the hole, it has to come out because of the pull of the brick. Such is the effect of brooding on worldly objects that it makes the yogi stray from the path of yoga.
"Worldly people may now and then experience samadhi. The lotus blooms, no doubt, when the sun is up; but its petals close again when the sun is covered by a cloud. Worldly thought is the cloud."

Namaskar

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: April 20, 2015, 08:10:24 AM »
Friends,

MASTER (to the devotees): "It will avail you nothing unless you realize Satchidananda. There is nothing like discrimination and renunciation. The worldly man's devotion to God is momentary―like a drop of water on a redhot frying-pan. Perchance he looks at a flower and exclaims, 'Ah, what a wonderful creation of God!'

Yearning for God
"One must be restless for God. If a son clamours persistently for his share of the property, his parents consult with each other and give it to him even though he is a minor. God will certainly listen to your prayers if you feel restless for Him. Since He has begotten us, surely we can claim our inheritance from Him. He is our own Father, our own Mother. We can force our demand on Him. We can say to him, 'Reveal Thyself to me or I shall cut my throat with a knife!' "
Sri Ramakrishna taught the devotees how to call on the Divine Mother.

Master's prayer to the Divine Mother
MASTER: "I used to pray to Her in this way: 'O Mother! O Blissful One! Reveal Thyself to me. Thou must!' Again, I would say to Her: 'O Lord of the lowly! O Lord of the universe! Surely I am not outside Thy universe. I am bereft of knowledge. I am without discipline. I have no devotion. I know nothing. Thou must be gracious and reveal Thyself to me.' "

Friends,the power of prayer lies in its truthfulness,its simple coming to terms with facts and perceptions as they are-the full acknowledgement of one's insufficiency and the true yearning born of this understanding.In this yearning there is total   receptivity-and it immediately draws the Divine presence and steeps one in it.
The Devotee is thus immediately aware of the presence of God not as an idea but as an undeniable presence and the very essence of one's self.
Namaskar

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: April 22, 2015, 08:25:15 PM »
Friends,

Next morning Sri Ramakrishna left his bed very early. As usual, he chanted the holy names of the different gods and goddesses. Now and then he looked at the sacred river. The morning worship began in the temples of Radhakanta and Mother Kali. M. had spent the night on the floor of the Master's room. He left his bed and watched the worship in the different temples.
Sri Ramakrishna finished his bath and went with M. to the Kali temple. He asked the disciple to lock the door of his room.
In the temple he took the seat in front of the image of Kali and offered flowers, sometimes at Her feet and sometimes on his own head. He fanned the Deity. Then he returned to his room and asked M. to unlock the door. Entering the room, he sat on the small couch. He was completely overwhelmed with divine fervour and began to chant the name of God. M. sat alone on the floor.

Sri Ramakrishna began to sing about the Divine Mother:

Who is there that can understand what Mother Kali is?
Even the six darsanas are powerless to reveal Her.
It is She, the scriptures say, that is the Inner Self
Of the yogi, who in Self discovers all his joy;
She that, of Her own sweet will, inhabits every living thing. .

Then he sang:
All creation is the sport of my mad Mother Kali;
By Her maya the three worlds are bewitched. . . .

He continued:
O Kali, who can know Thee? Numberless are Thy forms. . .

Again he sang:
O Mother, redeem me speedily!
From terror of the King of Death
I am about to die....

M. said to himself, "I wish he would sing:
Mother, Thou canst not trick me any more,
For I have seen Thy crimson Lotus Feet."

Strangely enough, no sooner had the thought passed through M.'s mind than Sri Ramakrishna sang the song.

A few minutes later he said to M., "What do you think of the present state of my mind?"
M. (smiling): "It is your simple and natural state."
Sri Ramakrishna sang to himself the following refrain of a song:
Unless a man is simple, he cannot recognize God, the Simple One.

Namaskar

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: April 25, 2015, 01:03:06 PM »
Friends,
How a Guru teaches the disciple?In the wonderful chapter 'Four-aids' in his synthesis of Yoga,Sri Aurobindo writes:"He will lead the disciple through the nature of the disciple."

It is interesting to note how Sri Ramakrishna gave different responses to two of his young disciples under almost identical situation-An excerpt from 'Sri Ramakrishna,The Great Master' by Swami Saradananda:

The Master's instructions to Yogananda
While he was coming to Dakshineswar one day in a boat, Yogin, when questioned by one of the passengers, said that he was going to the Master at Rani Rasmani's Kali temple. Hardly had that man heard this when he started calumniating the Master thus: "What else is that but a feigning? Ah! That's a fine deceit perpetrated on the public! He eats good food, lies on cushions and turns the heads of the school-boys." Yogin was touched to the quick to hear those words; he thought of giving the man a bit of his mind. But under the influence of his mild nature, the next moment he thought, "Many people, without exerting themselves in the least to understand the Master, have quite a wrong conception about him and speak ill of him. What can I do in the matter?" Thinking so, he did not make the slightest protest against what that man said and remained silent. When he came to the Master, he related to him, in the course of conversation the event from beginning to end. Yogin was under the impression that the Master, who was never seen to be moved by praise or blame being fully devoid of  egoism would laugh it away when he heard about it. But the effect produced on the Master was very different. Seeing that event in a different light, he remarked, "Ah, he spoke ill of me without any reason and you came away, listening silently without doing anything! Do you know what the scriptures say? One should cut off the head of the man speaking ill of one's Guru or leave that place. And you did not utter a single word of protest against that calumny!"

A different instruction to Niranjan under similar circumstances
The reader will understand how the Master's instructions varied according to the temperaments of the taught, when we mention here another such event. Niranjan was, by nature, of a harsh temperament. While coming to Dakshineswar in a boat one day, he heard the passengers speak ill of the Master in the same manner as above. He at first protested very strongly against it. But as his protest did not make them desist, he became terribly angry and was ready to retaliate by sinking the boat. Niranjan was very strong and stout and was an expert swimmer too. All shrank in fear to see him getting purple with anger, begged his pardon and implored him to refrain from sinking the boat. The Master came to know of it afterwards and scolded him, saying, "Anger is a most dangerous and reprehensible sin. Should one be under its spell? The anger of a good man is like a mark on water, which vanishes as soon as it is made. Mean-minded men speak many improper things. If one is to quarrel over them, one has to spend one's whole life that way. Consider such men as no better than insects and be indifferent to their words. Just think what a great wrong you were going to commit under the influence of anger. What offence did the helmsman and oarsmen give you for which you were ready to cause harm even to those poor people?"

Namaskar
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 01:10:45 PM by Ravi.N »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: April 28, 2015, 06:01:11 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: April 28, 2015, 06:02:43 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: April 28, 2015, 06:05:39 PM »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: April 30, 2015, 06:19:46 AM »

There are three kinds of thoughts.  1) SELF REFERENTIAL  2) EMOTIONAL 3)  STICKY*

*I am not sure whether vasanas are mentioned here.

- Gary Weber.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: April 30, 2015, 10:36:27 AM »
Saw this on FaceBook today and sharing the same here :

This is a Sincere request to all the Parents, Please read.

During Holidays, Instead of taking Kids to Movies, Shopping, Please try to do the following Activities:

1. Go to the nearest Bank and Show them the Functioning of the Banks, how ATMs work and what is the Benefit of it.

2. Take time out and visit Orphanage, Home for the Aged and explain to them about those places.

3. Take them to the Rivers, Seas, Oceans and teach them how to Swim.

4. Give them Saplings and ask them to Plant them and Water them and see them Grow. Encourage them by saying that they will be presented with Gifts for their Good deeds.

5. Perform Blood donations in front of them, and explain to them the need for it. Be a Hero (Role model) for them.

6. Take them to Government Hospitals and show them the difficulties the Patients are going through. Tell them how difficult it is to go through this process of Pain if you are met with an Accident.

7. Take them to Your Hometown/ Village and let them spend time with their Grandparents, Uncles, Aunts, Cousins. Let them Experience the Affection and good times of being with the Family. Show them what is Agriculture/ Farming and the difficulties a Farmer goes through in providing the Food that we are Eating and that we should not waste Food.

8. Take them to the nearby Police station, Court, Jail. Explain them the Punishments rendered to the Inmates because of their Wrong doings. This will make them aware of the Bad things they should be away from.

9. Make them Sit by You and ask them what their Needs are and Satisfy some of the useful ones and explain them which ones are Essential and which ones are Not. Give them a Feeling that You are there for them.

10. Take them to all the Places of Worship without restricting to any single place. Take them to Temples, Mosques, Gurudwara, Church etc., Based on how much You know of each Place explain it to them.