Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 335684 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #1365 on: April 08, 2015, 07:22:01 AM »
Friends,
In the very opening verse of Akshara mana Malai,Sri Bhagavan says:

அருணாசலமென வகமே நினைப்பவ ரகத்தைவே ரறுப்பா யருணாசலா- - -

O Arunachala, You root out the ego of those who think 'Arunachalam' in the heart.

The Name 'Arunachalam' has to be invoked in the heart-meaning the core of one's being-and Sri Bhagavan affirms that it would root out the ego and steep the devotee in Arunachala.

Sri Ramakrishna says:
There is great power in the seed of God's name. It destroys ignorance. A seed is tender, and the sprout soft; still it pierces the hard ground. The ground breaks and makes way for the sprout.

The key thing in spiritual practice is to be alive to it from moment to moment and not let it degenerate into  routine and formula.To be alive to it we must live from the core of our being and not from the dull repetitive exercise of the memory or concentration on any object.

Smarana is this alive 'Recall' of the Divine Presence from moment to moment .This 'Recall'  is not a 'Dead memory' or thought but is awareness.

As Sri Ramakrishna says:"God and His name are identical".

Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: April 08, 2015, 09:06:40 AM »
D.: Bhagavan often says: ?The world is not outside you?, or ?everything depends on you?, or ?what is there outside you?? I find all this puzzling. The world existed before I was born and will continue to exist after my death, as it has survived the death of so many who once lived as I do now.

B.: Did I ever say that the world exists because of you? I have only put to you the question ?what exists apart from yourself?? You ought to understand that by the Self neither the physical body nor the subtle body is meant.

What you are told is that if you once know the Self within which all ideas exist, not excluding the idea of yourself, of others like you and of the world, you can realize the truth that there is a Reality, a Supreme Truth which is the Self of all the world you now see, the Self of all the selves, the one Real, the Supreme, the eternal Self, as distinct from the ego or individual being, which is impermanent. You must not mistake the ego or the bodily idea for the Self.

- Sad Darshana Bhashya
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: April 09, 2015, 06:05:40 AM »
CONTROL OF MIND

(Mind alone is the cause of man?s bondage and freedom)
? Amritabindu Upanishad

D: I have not yet learnt to control my mind so I intend to seek ekantavasam (life in solitude) in North India and want Sri Bhagavan?s grace.

B: You have come all the way to Tiruvannamalai for ekantavasam, and that in the immediate presence and vicinity of Ramana Bhagavan, yet you do not appear to have obtained that mental quiet; you now want to go elsewhere and from there you will desire to go to some other place. At this rate there will be no end to your travels.

You do not realize that it is your mind that drives you in this manner. Control that first and you will be happy wherever you are. I do not know if you have read Swami Vivekananda?s lectures. It is my impression that he has somewhere told the story of a man trying to bury his shadow and finding that over every sod of earth he put in the grave he had dug for it, it only appeared again, so that it could never be buried. Such is the case of a person who tries to bury his thoughts. One must therefore attempt to get at the very bottom from which thought springs and root out thought, mind and desire.

D: When I spent an hour or two on the hill yonder, I sometimes found even better peace than here, which suggests that a solitary place is after all more conducive to mind-control.

B: True, but if you had stayed there for an hour longer, you would have found that place too not giving you the calm of which you speak. Control the mind and even Hell will be Heaven to you. All other talk of solitude, living in a forest etc., is mere prattle.

D: If solitude and abandonment of home were not required, where then was the necessity for Sri Bhagavan to come here in his seventeenth year?

B: If the same force that took this (meaning himself ) here, should take you also out of your home by all means let it, but there is no use of your deserting your home by an effort of your own. Your duty lies in practice, continuous practice of Self-enquiry.

- Crumbs from HisTable
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: April 09, 2015, 07:13:52 AM »
Friends,
Sri Sadhu OM Swamigal adds this footnote no.41 in his 'Path of Sri Ramana -Part 1':

Let not sincere devotees of God think that we are disparaging the japa done by a true devotee who calls upon his lord by repeating His divine name with pure, heart-melting love for His Feet. What are criticized here as useless are the repetitions of sacred words (mantra--japas) and the targets of meditation (dhyana-lakshyas) which are used as sadhanas without love basing combined with them and with the sole intention of gaining the power of one-pointedness. But since an aspirant on the path of devotion (bhakti-marga) who does japa of the divine name of his lord (his Ishta-deva or Guru) with intense love comes under the category of a student in the third (b) or fourth standard of our school of bhakti explained in chapter two of 'The Path of Sri Ramana. Part Two'. where we expound the path of self-surrender, which is one of the two main paths 'Self-enquiry and selfsurrender'  taught by Sri Bhagavan, his japa done with love is neither condemned nor discouraged. The reader may here refer to appendix one (d).

In the appendix 1(d) under the heading Japa,he says:

1. One-pointedness is not the only benefit to be gained by doing repetition (japa) of the divine name of God. The main benefit is the complete surrender of oneself to God on account of heart-melting and overbrimming love for Him.
2. Remembering once the name of God with an unwavering (one-pointed) mind is more valuable than doing a thousand crores of Japa with a wandering mind. To call upon God even once by (mentally or vocally uttering) His name with full-hearted love is more valuable than doing a thousand crores of japa with a quiet (one-pointed) mind.
3. While uttering (either mentally or vocally) the name of God, there is one thing which is essential to mix with it, namely ?love? If one knows well how to mix love with japa, it will bestow not only one-pointedness but even deathlessness!
4.Uniting love with the name of God is offering oneself completely to Him. How? 'We' are love and the 'name of God' is He Himself. Thus the principle of selfsurrender functions here, on account of which the state of Self is attained !
5. Worthy japa can be classified into two categories, namely jnana japa and bhakti japa. 'I, I' (or 'I am' or 'I am is I am') is jnana japa, and nama-japa (that is, repetition of the name of God even once) with love is bhakti japa. One who does jnana japa tries to know the true import of the word 'I', while one who does bhakti japa melts into love.
6. The mind that attends to the true import of the word 'I' through jnana japa dies in Self, losing its individuality. The mind that embraces the name of God, who is pure consciousness (chit), with melting love (through bhakti japa) transforms itself into the unbroken form of bliss (ananda); it cannot remain as a separate entity.
7. Jnana japa bestows upon that enquirer all the requisite help and guidance. Bhakti japa makes the devotee unite with God. Towards whichever one of these two love naturally rises in a person, that one will be fit to be adopted by him.
8. Our divine Master, Atma Ramana, has given us only two paths, namely Self-enquiry (the path of knowledge or jnana marga) and self-surrender (the path of love or bhakti marga). Hence, know that, in accordance with these two paths, japa is also of two kinds. Follow either of them and attain the goal (Self-abidance, the state of egolessness) !

Namaskar
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:20:10 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: April 09, 2015, 07:43:45 AM »
Friends,
An excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

Prema-bhakti
Master:But it isn't any and every kind of bhakti that enables one to realize God. One cannot realize God without prema-bhakti. Another name for prema-bhakti is raga-bhakti. God cannot be realized without love and longing. Unless one has learnt to love God, one cannot realize Him.
There is another kind of bhakti, known as vaidhi-bhakti, according to which one must repeat the name of God a fixed number of times, fast, make pilgrimages, worship God with prescribed offerings, make so many sacrifices, and so forth and so on. By continuing such practices a long time one gradually acquires raga-bhakti. God cannot be realized until one has raga-bhakti. One must love God. In order to realize God one must be completely free from worldliness and direct all of one's mind to Him.
But some acquire raga-bhakti directly. It is innate in them. They have it from their very childhood. Even at an early age they weep for God. An instance of such bhakti is to be found in Prahlada. Vaidhi-bhakti is like moving a fan to make a breeze. One needs the fan to make the breeze. Similarly, one practises japa, austerity, and fasting, in order to acquire love of God. But the fan is set aside when the southern breeze blows of itself.
Such actions as japa and austerity drop away when one spontaneously feels love and attachment for God. Who, indeed, will perform the ceremonies enjoined in the scriptures, when mad with love of God?
Devotion to God may be said to be 'green' so long as it doesn't grow into love of God; but it becomes 'ripe' when it has grown into such love. A man with 'green' bhakti cannot assimilate spiritual talk and instruction; but one with 'ripe' bhakti can. The image that falls on a photographic plate covered with black film is retained. On the other hand, thousands of images may be reflected on a bare piece of glass, but not one of them is retained. As the object moves away, the glass becomes the same as it was before. One cannot assimilate spiritual instruction unless one has already developed love of God.

VIJAY: Is bhakti alone sufficient for the attainment of God, for His vision?

MASTER: Yes, one can see God through bhakti alone. But it must be 'ripe' bhakti, premabhakti and raga-bhakti. When one has that bhakti, one loves God even as the mother loves the child, the child the mother, or the wife the husband.When one has such love and attachment for God, one doesn't feel the attraction of maya to wife, children, relatives, and friends. One retains only compassion for them. To such a man the world appears a strange land, a place where he has merely to perform his duties. It is like a man's having his real home in the country, but coming to Calcutta for work; he has to rent a house in Calcutta for the sake of his duties. When one develops love of God, one completely gets rid of one's attachment to the world and worldly wisdom.
One cannot see God if one has even the slightest trace of worldliness. Match-sticks, if damp, won't strike fire though you rub a thousand of them against the match-box. You only waste a heap of sticks. The mind soaked in worldliness is such a damp match-stick. Once Sri Radha said to her friends that she saw Krishna everywhere-both within and without.The friends answered: 'Why, we don't see Him at all. Are you delirious?' Radha said, 'Friends, paint your eyes with the collyrium of divine love, and then you will see Him.'

Friends,The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna is a wonderful source of practical guidance for all aspirants,and the Master has the rare gift of articulating everything in a simple ,homely manner that clarifies and harmonizes all approaches.Also every standpoint is given its just place and validity.As the Master says so beautifully:

People worship God according to their tastes and temperaments. The mother cooks the same fish differently for her children, that each one may have what suits his stomach. For some she cooks the rich dish of pilau. But not all the children can digest it. For those with weak stomachs she prepares soup. Some, again, like fried fish or pickled fish. It depends on one's taste.

Namaskar
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:48:58 AM by Ravi.N »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: April 09, 2015, 04:05:40 PM »
Some people object, 'In some religions such as Buddhism, no mention is made about God.'  But that is not the case.
Just as other religions say, 'There is a third entity called God who is worthy to be glorified, loved and attained by man'.
Do not religions like Buddhism also point out a goal to mankind by saying, 'There is a blissful state called Parinirvana
which man should attain by renouncing the world, which is full of misery?'  Since that goal called Parinirvana is what is referred
to by other religions by name God, we should understand that every religion including Buddhism is based upon three
entities, the world, soul and God, and thus comes within the orbit of the gracious divine game which is for a good purpose
played by Maya. So long as a man experiences himself and the world as two separate entities, each having a distinct
individual existence, he cannot in practice conceive even the mind transcending state of Parinirvana to be anything
but a third which is distinct from himself and the world.

Among these three entities,what is called the soul, or jiva is 'we', the first person. This world which we perceive in front
of us through the five senses is a second person object, while God and these objects of the world which we do not
now directly perceive through the senses are third person objects.

Sri Sadhu Om - The Path of Sri Ramana. Part II.

Arunachala Siva.         

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: April 10, 2015, 08:22:15 AM »
Friends,
An excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

Is God partial?
Nanda remained silent a few minutes. Then he said: "Oh, yes. People no doubt talk that way. But is God partial? If things happen through God's grace, then I must say God is partial."

MASTER: "But God Himself has become everything-the universe and its living beings. You will realize it when you have Perfect Knowledge. God Himself has become the twenty-four cosmic principles: the mind, intellect, body, and so forth. Is there anyone but Himself to whom He can show partiality?"

NANDA : "Why has He assumed all these different forms? Why are some wise and some ignorant?"

MASTER: "It is His sweet will."

ATUL: "Kedar Babu puts it nicely. Once a man asked him, 'Why has God created the world?' He replied, 'I was not present at the conference where God made the plans of His creation.'"

MASTER: "Oh! It is His sweet will"

So saying, the Master sang:
O Mother, all is done after Thine own sweet will:
Thou art in truth self-willed, Redeemer of mankind!
Thou workest Thine own work; men only call it theirs.
Thou it is that holdest the elephant in the mire;
Thou, that helpest the lame man scale the loftiest hill.
On some Thou dost bestow the bliss of Brahmanhood;
Yet others Thou dost hurl into this world below.
Thou art the Moving Force, and I the mere machine;
The house am I, and Thou the Spirit dwelling there;
I am the chariot, and Thou the Charioteer:
I move alone as Thou, O Mother, movest me.

Liberation for all
He continued: "The Divine Mother is full of bliss. Creation, preservation, and destruction are the waves of Her sportive pleasure. Innumerable are the living beings. Only one or two among them obtain liberation. And that makes Her happy.
"Out of a hundred thousand kites, at best but one or two break free;
And Thou dost laugh and clap Thy hands, O Mother, watching them!
Some are being entangled in the world and some are being liberated from it.
How many are the boats, O mind,
That float on the ocean of this world!
How many are those that sink!"

NANDA: "It may be Her sweet will; but it is death to us."

MASTER: "But who are you? It is the Divine Mother who has become all this. It is only as long as you do not know Her that you say, 'I', 'I'.All will surely realize God. All will be liberated. It may be that some get their meal in the morning, some at noon, and some in the evening: but none will go without food. All, without any exception, will certainly know their real Self."

PASUPATI: "True, sir. It seems that it is God alone who has become everything."

Namaskar
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 09:05:14 AM by Ravi.N »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: April 10, 2015, 11:53:02 AM »
Concerning which one of these three entities,the soul, the world and God, and to which one of these three entities
do problems arise? The world, which now appears in front of us, as something insentient, is an object known by us.
No problems arise for it concerning either the soul or God and hence it does not have to grieve over its inability
to solve these problems.  If we then consider God, 'Where is He?  What is His nature? Does He have any problems
concerning the world, and soul?  If any such problems exist for Him, are they the first and most important thing
for us to attend to?'  We will have to conclude that for Him also there cannot be any problems.  Thus it is clear
that no problems of any kind exist either for the world or for God. Therefore it is only for us, the soul, the knowing
subject, that countless problems arise concerning the world and God. Why?

WE see the world. Yet, though we make as much research about it as we are able to, the facts about it are found
to be so unlimited that they cannot all be grasped within the narrow range of our intellects.  Similar is the case
with God.  Our religions have given us endless descriptions about God.  However, since the truth behind any of these
descriptions,innumerable questions and doubts abut God are always arising in great abundance only to us, the soul.

Therefore it would be appropriate for us first of all to take only the inquiry, Who am I?, the soul?  In order to avoid
creating more confusions by saying anything about the world and God, which are second and third persons, in
this book, the first person I is taken as the subject of our investigation.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: April 11, 2015, 11:32:40 AM »
Sri Sadhu Om (Part  II of The Path of Sri Ramana):

Thus Sri Bhagavan teaches that the first and foremost need for us is to know ourself, the first person.

From the stone age to the modern space age, man who is filled with so many questions and doubts has been using his intellect
to make research only upon the second and third person objects.  Man's questions and doubts are only about the world and
God.  Why?  Because no man ever raises any questions or doubts about himself, that is, about his knowledge (Chit) of his own
existence (Sat), 'Do I exist or not?' Since all doubts rise only about the knowledge which man has of the existence of the world
and God, all this time he has been eagerly making research only about these other two entities and not about himself.

What benefits has mankind derived from the progress in knowledge which it has made by dividing itself into large sections
and by making research in the above said two broad directions? The human intellect which started to make research on the
world has now discovered a wonderful material science which can split even atoms, the fundamental particles of which this
world is said to be composed off. The discoveries made by scientific research are innumerable.  But when we consider the
unlimited number of objects in the world such as the planets and stars in space which still remain unknown to us, it is
clear that there can be no end to scientific research and that the human intellect can never see the other shore of the vast
ocean of scientific knowledge. By discovering innumerable powers hidden in the nature such as the power of magnetism,
fire, water, steam, wind, petrol, electricity, and atomic energy, and by inventing all kinds of contrivances, machines and
weapons to make use of these powers, scientific research has resulted in terrible great wars which have made the whole
world tremble and which have caused destruction, and bloodshed on the hitherto unprecedented scale.

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.           

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: April 12, 2015, 09:28:52 AM »
D :
How to get rid of fear?

M :
What is fear? It is only a thought. If there is anything besides the Self there is reason to fear. Who sees the second (anything external)? First the ego arises and sees objects as external. If the ego does not rise, the Self alone exists and there is no second (nothing external). For anything external to oneself implies the seer within. Seeking it there will arise no doubt, no fear-not only fear, all other thoughts centred round the ego will disappear along with it.
D :
This method seems to be quicker than the usual one of cultivating qualities alleged necessary for salvation (sadhana chatushtaya)?
M :
Yes. All bad qualities centre round the ego. When the ego is gone Realisation results by itself. There are neither good nor bad qualities in the Self. The Self is free from all qualities. Qualities pertain to the mind only. It is beyond quality. If there is unity, there will also be duality. The numeral one gives rise to other numbers. The truth is neither one nor two. It is as it is.
D :
The difficulty is to be in the thought free state.
M :
Leave the thought-free state to itself. Do not think of it as pertaining to you. Just as when you walk, you involuntarily take steps, so too in your actions; but the thought-free state is not affected by your actions.
D :
What is it that discriminative in action?
M :
Discrimination will be automatic, intuitive.
D :
So intuition alone matters; Intuition develops also.
M :
Those who have discovered great Truths have done so in the still depths of the Self.
The ego is like one's shadow thrown on the ground. If one attempts to bury it, it will be foolish. The Self is only one. If limited it is the ego. If unlimited it is Infinite and is the Reality.
The bubbles are different from one another and numerous, but the ocean is only one. Similarly the egos are many, whereas the Self is one and only one.
When told that you are not the ego, realise the Reality. Why do you still identify yourself with the ego? It is like saying, Don't think of the monkey while taking medicine- it is impossible. Similarly it happens with common folk. When the Reality is mentioned why do you continue to meditate Sivoham or Aham Brahmasmi? The significance must be traced and understood. It is not enough to repeat the bare words or think of them.
Reality is simply the loss of the ego. Destroy the ego by seeking its identity. Because the ego is no entity it will automatically vanish and Reality will shine forth by itself. This is the direct method. Whereas all other methods are done, only retaining the ego. In those paths there arise so many doubts and the eternal questions remains to be tackled finally. But in this method the final question is the only one and it is raised from the very beginning. No sadhanas are necessary for engaging in this quest.
There is no greater mystery than this-viz., ourselves being the Reality we seek to gain reality. We think that there is something hiding our Reality and that it must be destroyed before the Reality is gained. It is ridiculous. A day will dawn when you will yourself laugh at your past efforts. That which will be on the day you laugh is also here and now.
D :
So it is a great game of pretending?
M :
Yes.
In yoga Vasishta it is said, What is Real is hidden from us, but what is false, is revealed as true. We are actually experiencing the Reality only; still, we do not know it. Is it not a wonder of wonders?
The quest ''Who am I?'' is the axe with which to cut off the ego.
Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: April 12, 2015, 12:18:48 PM »
Sri Sadhu Om- Part II - The Path of Sri Ramana:

And what about the research made in the other one of the above said two directions?  The human intellect which started to make
research on God has produced many religions.Each one of these religions has framed and espoused many different beliefs and
dogmas of its own, they have divided the people among themselves into many different sects, and they have tried to propagate
and make all people follow their own dogmas.  Since ignorant people are unable to comprehend the common truth which underlies
all the religions, they become victims to religious fanaticism and, due to their attachment to their own religion, they condemn
all other religions, they try to convert people of other religions to their own religion,they even stoop to the level of becoming
entangled in religious wars, and thus,with the help of weapons invented by science, they also result in human bloodshed.
The history of the world itself bear testimony to this fact.

Should we not try at least now to put an end to all the evils and miseries which have befallen mankind as a result of our
'rising' and using our intellects to make research upon the world and God which are second and third person objects?

contd.,

Arunachala Siva.       

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: April 12, 2015, 03:24:14 PM »
Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi
D :
How to get rid of the mind?
M :
Is it the mind that wants to kill itself? The mind cannot kill itself. So your business is to find the real nature of the mind. Then you will know that there is no mind. When the Self is sought, the mind is nowhere. Abiding in the Self, one need not worry about the mind.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: April 12, 2015, 08:47:44 PM »
MORE TALKS WITH RAMANA MAHARSHI
Date: 16.9.42 Time: 10.15 A.M.

50. When I entered the hall a discussion was going on about self-enquiry. Bhagavan was in his usual posture with adorable countenance. A frequent visitor said:
?Bhagavan has said that self-enquiry is simple, direct and effective. Though I try to follow the same I cannot say I have understood it. I put the question 'Who am I?' but there is no proper response from within. However, I am getting a sort of stillness. ?
Bhagavan: "How can you get the answer in words? It is not a regular mental enquiry to elicit a concrete answer. It is only a tool to direct the mind back to its source."
Visitor: "Yes, I follow. But the result is not clear to me. There is a short stillness which does not last."
Bhagavan: "You should be steadfast in sadhana. By repeating the process you fix attention on the ego, the 'I'- thought. Whenever the doubt arises repeat the process and make the enquiry. Try to reach the source of the ego. Once you reach the source, by one-pointed effort, your peace will not be disturbed.''

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: April 12, 2015, 08:57:01 PM »

CONVERSATIONS WITH ANNAMALAI SWAMI

Q: I am puzzled by some aspects of this teaching. There is no doubt that Bhagavan was realized, but in that state he was still aware of his body. When Bhagavan was ill he didn't say, ?I have pain,' he said, ?It has pain? . Since he had awareness of that pain in the body he must still have been a little identified with it?

AS: Even when the body was experiencing pain, Bhagavan was beyond it. He was not affected by anything that was happening to the body.

Q: He was beyond in the sense that he was not concerned or troubled by it, but he was still aware that the body was experiencing pain.

AS: There was an awareness of pain but there was no feeling, ?This is my body; I have pain?. You can be aware of birds flying in and out of a tree without thinking, 'I am this tree, these birds are mine'' similarly Bhagavan could be aware of bodily sensations without thinking 'I am this body; this pain is mine?; Bhagavan wore a body in the same way that other people wear a dhoti.

You are attaching too much importance to bodies, both
Bhagavan's and your own. It is possible to exist without' being
aware of the body in any way. Your experience in deep sleep should satisfy you that this is possible. Your questions and doubts are all coming from the body-mind level, from the idea that you are a body and a person. You can find out what the relationship
between the body and the Self is by experiencing the Self as it really is. But to get that experience you must first be willing to give up the idea that you are a body and a person. You will never have the experience while you are still clinging to erroneous ideas about the body. You will not resolve your doubts about the body by discussing them, you will only resolve them by giving them up.

- Living by the Words of Bhagavan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: April 13, 2015, 09:05:34 AM »
Tamizh New Year-14.04.2015.

I wish all the Forum members a happy and prosperous Tamizh New Year, Manmatha, tomorrow.  Let the new year bring
more and more progress in spiritual pursuits.

Arunachala Siva.   
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 07:03:26 AM by Subramanian.R »