Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 284928 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #1335 on: March 08, 2015, 01:13:33 PM »
CONVERSATIONS WITH ANNAMALAI SWAMI

Q: So we only think that we have choices. The sense of choice is not real?

Annamalai Swami: Correct! All the difficulties that we experience in life have been given to us by Bhagavan in order to turn our minds towards the Self.

A man once asked Bhagavan, 'Why did God choose this way of giving grace only through misery? Why did He not choose some other way?'
Bhagavan replied, 'It is His way. Who are you to question
Him?'

On another occasion a devotee asked, 'Why does God not appear before me?'
Bhagavan answered, 'If He appears before you in person you will not leave Him in peace. He is not appearing because He is afraid of you. He is afraid of manifesting in a form that you can see because He knows that if He does you will just give Him a long list of things that you want.'

Q: Is it desirable to want to see God?
AS: Manikkavachagar said in one of his songs: 'God is not a
person, nor is He any particular thing. Yet without God there is nothing because He alone is everything.'
To see one's Self and to see this same Self in all that is, that is seeing God.

Q: So it is better to want only the formless Self?
AS: I once heard Bhagavan say to Paul Brunton: lf you do upasana [meditation] on the all-pervading Self, you will get infinite energy.' All beings, all things, all people in the world are your own Self. They are all indivisibly part of you.If you can see all as your Self, how can you do harm to anyone else? When you have that clear vision, whatever you do to others, you know that it is done to your Self only.

- Living by the Words of Bhagavan
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: March 10, 2015, 06:23:10 AM »
Mr.Cohen, a resident disciple, was speaking of yoga methods.
Maharshi remarked: Patanjali's first sutra is applicable to all systems of yoga. The aim is the cessation of mental activities. The methods differ. So long as there is effort made towards that goal it is called yoga. The effort is the yoga.
The cessation can be brought about in so many ways:
By examining the mind itself. When the mind is examined, its activities cease automatically. This is the method of jnana. The pure mind is the Self.
Looking for the source of the mind is another method. The source may be said to be God or Self or consciousness.
Concentrating upon one thought to make all other thoughts disappear. Finally that thought also disappears; and Hatha Yoga.
All methods are one and the same inasmuch as they all tend to the same goal.
It is necessary to be aware while controlling thoughts. Otherwise it will lead to sleep. That awareness, the chief factor, is indicated by the fact of Patanjali emphasising pratyahara, dharana, dhyana, samadhi even after pranayama. Pranayama makes the mind steady and suppresses thoughts. Then why develop further? Because awareness then is the one necessary factor. Such states can be imitated by taking morphia, chloroform, etc. They do not lead to Moksha because they lack awareness.
? Talks No.191
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: March 10, 2015, 12:50:04 PM »
Q: Bhagavan's body has gone now. I know intellectually that he is the Self and that he is everywhere but I still sometimes wish that could have the good fortune of sitting in his physical presence. I know that the body is ultimately not important but I would feel so happy and secure if I knew that I could go and talk or just sit with .
AS: Everything you see is Bhagavan's body. The guiding presence that you desire is shining through all these forms and animating them. Don't be attached to Bhagavan's form or body. The real Bhagavan is beyond form and beyond death.
Though water flows through the mouth of a stone tiger statue, everyone knows that it is not coming from the tiger; we all know that it is coming from the reservoir. Similarly, Bhagavan now speaks through everyone who knows and experiences him as he really is.
Living by the Words of Bhagavan

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: March 10, 2015, 08:21:59 PM »
Atmavichar/friends,
Sri annamalai swamigal was quite conversant with the sayings of Sri Ramakrishna and used to recount the same.In fact Swami wrote his 'Diary Notes'(Sri Ramana Ninaivugal now being published as Bhagavanum adiyenum) in a diary notebook with sayings of sri Ramakrishna printed in each of its pages.

Here is the excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
The water from the roof flows through a spout that is shaped like a lion's head. It looks as if the lion were bringing the water out through its mouth. But look at the source of the water! A cloud gathers in the sky and rain falls on the roof; then the water flows through the pipe and at last comes out through the spout.

Namaskar

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: March 11, 2015, 06:11:24 AM »

Dear Sri Ravi

I am not surprised that Sri Annamalasiswami quotes a lot from Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa . When I first met Sri David Godman at Thiruvanamalai after being highly impressed by his book ?Living by the Words of Bhagavan? and asked him about his personal experiences with Sri Annamalai Swami , David Godman told me that Sri Annamalai Swami was a great story teller and always used to explain things using a short story or an anecdote from Bhagavans life and it was always a treat to listen to him and this was the method Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa had .He explained complicated Philosophical truths using simple stories . Ir-respective of one's later spiritual direction many peoples first initiation to the spiritual path in the last 100 years or so was due to reading the works of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa and Swami Vivekananda . I had the wonderful opportunity to meet one direct disciple of Swami Sivananda called Swami Chaitanyananda ( popularly called as UttarKashi Swami as he maintained solitude there and avoided much outside contact ) and he told that first he was interested in spirituality after reading a book of Swami Vivekananda and when he sat for meditation , a huge saintly figure clad in Orange robes used to come in front of him and he took it to be Swami Vivekananda but later  when his friend gave him a book of Swami Sivananda he understood  from the picture in that book that it was Swami Sivananda and he immediately went to Rishikesh when Swami Sivananda smiled and welcomed him saying ,I was waiting for you .  Though he received his initiation from Swami Sivananda , he used to always quote from Sri Ramakrishna and Swami Vivekananda during his talks .

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: March 11, 2015, 09:23:42 AM »

Plunge the Pure Mind Into the Heart

ONE day it was suggested to Sri Maharshi that no spiritual progress could ever be made without sadhana, or discipline. After a pause he made these observations: "Mind it is that binds man, and the same mind it is that liberates him. Mind is constituted of sankalpa and vikalpa desire and disposition. Desire is of two kinds the noble and the base. The base desires are lust and greed. Noble desire is directed towards enlightenment and emancipation. Base desire contaminates and clouds the understanding. Sadhana is easy for the aspirant who is endowed with noble desires. Calmness is the criterion of spiritual progress. Plunge the purified mind into the Heart. Then the work is over. This is the essence of all spiritual discipline!"
During one of my visits I was seated at some distance from the Maharshi. There were many devotees in the hall and the usual silence prevailed. I remembered his injunction: "Plunge the pure mind into the Heart." And decided to practice it then. I gazed at him and he gazed back at me. What followed was indescribable. His body seemed a glass case from which a blissful brilliance streamed out. More than half an hour passed this way. It was an experience unique and unforgettable. It confirmed Sri Ramakrishna's statement that spiritual experience can be transmitted from one person to another in the manner in which material things are handed over.
? Ramana Smrti, Recorded by Swami Chidbhavananda
of the Sri Ramakrishna Mission

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: March 14, 2015, 10:22:11 AM »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: March 14, 2015, 04:44:46 PM »
Atmavichar,

Ir-respective of one's later spiritual direction many peoples first initiation to the spiritual path in the last 100 years or so was due to reading the works of Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa and Swami Vivekananda

Here is an excerpt from Swami Chidananda's autobiographical note :

It was early March 1942. During the past ten years, from 1932 to 1942, since I left Mangalore and arrived in Madras, an inward transformation was slowly taking place within me, a veritable holy Sangam of three spiritual streams was created within my life. At Madras, I came into possession of the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna some time in 1933 and the Life of Sri Ramakrishna in 1936, his birth centenary year. Secondly, I read about Sri Ramana Maharshi in M S Kamath's Sunday Times in a special issue with the narration of the young Ramana's renunciation at the age of 17 when he was a schoolboy. The article carried Sri Ramana Maharshi's picture also. This article evoked within me a state of renunciation and an idea of seeking Self-realization. Thirdly, I began to read Swami Sivananda's spiritual literature from Sri P K Vinayarangam's My Magazine of India and a book of Gurudev's quotations published by him. All these three saints hammered one single central line again and again into my mind viz:
Life is meant for God-realization. Goal of life is God-realization. If you die without attaining God-realization, your life is in vain. You have wasted away this precious gift of human birth given to you by God.

The complete article is here:

http://sivanandaonline.org/public_html/?cmd=displaysection&section_id=1345

How swami Chidananda met Papa Ramdas is also interesting and is narrated.This article clearly brings out what Sri Ramakrishna had said:

The water from the roof flows through a spout that is shaped like a lion's head. It looks as if the lion were bringing the water out through its mouth. But look at the source of the water! A cloud gathers in the sky and rain falls on the roof; then the water flows through the pipe and at last comes out through the spout.

How the boy sridhar came to chance upon 'In quest of God' of Papa Ramdas ,how he came to know about Sri Ramakrishna mentioned in that book and later on how he met Swami Aseshananda in R K Mutt,Chennai and came to read The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna in 1933(It must have been the abridged version in 1933.M completed the Gospel somtime in 1932 and passed away soon after-Ravi) and finally came to Rishikesh and met Swami Sivananda and became his disciple.

Namaskar

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: March 15, 2015, 04:01:24 PM »

Q: It is so difficult to avoid getting entangled in the mind. Staying detached from thoughts is like trying to stop the tide from coming in. Waves of new thoughts wash away the detached observer every few seconds.
AS: Self-enquiry must be done repeatedly and steadily. The wandering mind slowly loses its energy when it is subjected to constant scrutiny. The mind derives all its energy from the attention you give to thoughts and emotions. If you refuse to give them any attention and instead challenge each thought as soon as it appears, sooner or later your attention will stop going out to all your stray thoughts.
When the attractiveness of transient thoughts diminishes to the point where you no longer feel obliged to hold on to them whenever they appear, you will be able to rest quietly in the experience of your real nature without being distracted.
- LWB

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: March 19, 2015, 10:32:17 PM »

Q: We are accustomed to seeing a world of many separate objects. How can we change our vision so that we see only the Self everywhere?

AS: If you repeatedly shift your attention to the all-pervasive consciousness within you, this habit of seeing the many will gradually disappear. You see multiplicity only because you give attention to that habit.

Instead, right now, withdraw your energy from that habit and go the other way towards your real Self. By steadily abiding in the Self you accumulate the energy to resist the illusion of multiplicity. As you continue to immerse yourself in pure consciousness, the habit of seeing the one as many will decrease until it slowly disappears.

- LWB (Living by the Words of Bhagavan)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: March 21, 2015, 09:42:10 AM »

Q: I went to Skandashram yesterday. As I sat there, for no reason at all, tears started to come. I cried and cried. I am a little puzzled by this. Why should something like this happen?

AS: A similar thing happened to me once. When I was very young I went to the town and the temple where Siva first appeared to Manikkavachagar. When I sat in the temple tears flowed down my face.

Tears like this are often a sign of grace. When your tears are
for God rather than for worldly things, the mind and the heart are purified. If you want God so much that you cry when you call on Him, He will surely come to you. When a baby cries, its mother comes to feed it. When a devotee cries because he is hungry for grace. God sends the grace to nourish him.

Living by the words of Bhagavan

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: March 21, 2015, 02:31:06 PM »
Intense longing enables one to see God
BRAHMO DEVOTEE: "What are the means by which one can see God?"
MASTER: "Can you weep for Him with intense longing of heart? Men shed a jugful of tears for the sake of their children, for their wives, or for money. But who weeps for God? So long as the child remains engrossed with its toys, the mother looks after her cooking and other household duties. But when the child no longer relishes the toys, it throws them aside and yells for its mother. Then the mother takes the rice-pot down from the hearth, runs in haste, and takes the child in her arms."

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: March 21, 2015, 02:37:49 PM »
Atmavichar,
The words of Grace of Sri annamalai swami may be posted as a separate thread.They are truly gems and would immensely benefit all seekers.Thanks very much.
Namaskar

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: March 21, 2015, 05:52:36 PM »
Saw this post on a Facebook page related to Bhagavan Ramana and I want to know whether the highlighted portion is true i,e Bhagavan Ramana read Sri Lalitha Sahasranama on behalf of Sri Niranjananda Swami during his absence .

Vishwanatha Swamigal has said that Niranjanananda Swamigal used to read Lalita Sahasranamam daily. Occasionally when he missed Parayana for any reason the reading was completed by Ramana Maharshi on his behalf.
Lalita Sahasranamam has the answer to the question raised in the previous Facebook post about the origin of Sri Chakra Puja in the ashram. One name of Divine Mother Lalita is Siva-shakti-iyka-rupini which means the Mother Lalita forms the unity of Siva with His Shakti. Thus Divine Mother?s worship in the ashram is related to Sri Ramana Maharshi just as Sunlight is related to the Sun. We now quote from Kapali Sastriar?s book ?the Maharshi?:
?After the Veda Parayana, both of us were taken by the Sarvadhikari to his office. From the cupboard Raju Sastri took out a plate and handed it to him and he in turn placed it in my hand. It was a few inches square, but its weight betrayed to me the metal immediately; indeed, it was solid gold. The diagram was Sri Chakram; I saw the whole thing, it was neatly done. Then there was another, a smaller plate; that too was taken out. The third one contained letters inscribed in the diagram; it was Subrahmanya Yantra. He spoke to me how he was able to get it all done, why so much care for safety had to be taken etc. We all came out and he took us to another hut where I was shown Meru in solid rock. The workmanship was indeed quite fine. I do not remember to have seen such a big sized Meru in rock though I have myself worshipped one made of gold (small size)?.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: March 22, 2015, 09:45:19 AM »
Atmavichar,

Saw this post on a Facebook page related to Bhagavan Ramana and I want to know whether the highlighted portion is true i,e Bhagavan Ramana read Sri Lalitha Sahasranama on behalf of Sri Niranjananda Swami during his absence .

There is no reference in any of the well known reminiscences about this incident.Wonder why it is stated as 'Reading' -Does it mean that it was chanted with the help of book?

The Facebook entries do not seem to reflect material from authentic sources-wonder who manages these entries and why this sort of a dissemination of information(misinformation actually!)

Here is  such a pedestrian entry in that facebook which is downright materialistic and is unworthy of being associated with sri Bhagavan:

During Bhagavan?s days on the Hill, Spiritual Grace was in abundance but material comforts were minimal or non-existent. It is possible that some great devotee may have advised Niranjananda Swamigal that worship of the Sri Chakra will lead to prosperity and he started the worship. But this is at best a surmise.

Which 'great devotee' would advise such a course of worship to gain prosperity?This is just yarn spinning and is best ignored by devotees.

Namaskar