Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 314938 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #1125 on: September 07, 2014, 04:26:37 PM »
21st June, 1948 Bhagavan Composing a quatrain on Cow Lakshmi

Yesterday Sri Maharshi composed a quatrain on Lakshmi in Tamil, giving the date and the astrological sign of her death, referring to her  as a liberated soul, for which he used the sanskrit word Vimukti to make it quite clear that it was not merely release from the body  that he meant, but final emancipation. This morning he translated his quatrain into Telugu and showed it to the Telugu devotee, Professor Subbaramayya, over which both of them joked and laughed, because Sri Bhagavan had used Tamil metre for a Telugu poem, as he had done in his own Ekatma-Panchakam-the five verses on the Oneness of Atman. Prof. Subbaramayya highly praised Sri Bhagavan's Telugu version.

In the evening Maharshi translated the same quatrain from the original Tamil into Malayalam.

(From Guru Ramana)
by S.S.COHEN
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: September 07, 2014, 04:31:57 PM »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: September 07, 2014, 04:36:49 PM »
Atmavichar(Krishna),
Living by the words of Bhagavan is a wonderful book that must be read and reread by all devotees.Truly Swami was like what the book title says-he just lived by the words of Bhagavan.Swami's teachings are so simple,because he himself was utterly simple.Wonderful soul.
Namaskar
Dear Sri Ravi

True "Living by the Words of Bhagavan" is an excellent book and it mentions the journey of one Jnani ( Annamalai Swami ) living with another Jnani ( Bhagavan Ramana ) and also it describes Annamalai Swami's journey from an ordinary worker to the highest state he reached through following the words of Bhagavan . This book is ever refreshing and you never get bored reading it again and again . I value this book very highly and this book made a great impact in my life .

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: September 07, 2014, 08:18:54 PM »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: September 09, 2014, 06:16:50 PM »
Anil,

I feel that one doing Atma-vichara need not be taught "not I Lord, but Thou only." I am cent percent certain that such a one will himself reach there of its own accord. He will see and be that unity himself. Only thing I do not practice that line, and there is no need for me to do so.

Friend,so does the aspirant who practises any other path ,provided he is sincere and has the earnestness.There is no such a thing as the 'Best' Path' or 'ultimate' path'- that eventually all have to necessarily go that way.What Sri Bhagavan meant in saying that eventually everyone has to come to 'self-enquiry' just tantamounts to this-that eventually everyone has to set aside the 'ego' sense.Nothing more than this and nothing less as well.The objective of my posts there are to say that eventually it is not the 'method' one adopts but the earnestness with which one takes to it that matters.Even then,it is The Divine Grace that is supreme and that has to bestow Realization and not one's effort.Period.I have no interest in persuading anyone to take up anything or divert anyone from whatever he is engaged in.As I said that you need not practice anything other than than what is appealing and clear to you and I wish you the very best.

Namaskar.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:19:30 PM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: September 09, 2014, 06:41:41 PM »
Friends,
An excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

Master's respect for other faiths
(To Kedar and the other devotees) "God can be realized through all paths. All religions are true. The important thing is to reach the roof. You can reach it by stone stairs or by wooden stairs or by bamboo steps or by a rope. You can also climb up by a bamboo pole.

Many names of one God

"You may say that there are many errors and superstitions in another religion. I should reply: Suppose there are. Every religion has errors. Everyone thinks that his watch alone gives the correct time. It is enough to have yearning for God. It is enough to love Him and feel attracted to Him: Don't you know that God is the Inner Guide? He sees the longing of our heart and the yearning of our soul. Suppose a man has several sons. The older boys address him distinctly as 'Baba' or 'Papa', but the babies can at best call him 'Ba' or 'Pa'. Now, will the father be angry with those who address him in this indistinct way? The father knows that they too are calling him, only they cannot pronounce his name well. All children are the same to the father. Likewise, the devotees call on God alone, though by different names. They call on one Person only. God is one, but His names are many."

Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: September 09, 2014, 10:05:28 PM »

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: September 10, 2014, 12:20:57 AM »
I like this.  :)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: September 10, 2014, 01:02:37 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

The path of Bhakti admits this dependency to start with ,and leads one from there.Instead of saying 'Do not depend on anyone',it says 'Depend on the God in man'-

This is so untrue!

Which Sage ever said that Bhakti is dependence on man??  Bhakti is completely opposite. It is dependance on God,ONLY God,and nothing but God!!! To see God in all does not mean that. That is exactly what Sri Ramakrishna wanted to say with elephant example . And to see all people like teachers,all in life,even wicked ones,does not mean we should become their puppets. If i learn something from a robber does not mean i should have attitude like : *Oh you showed me an important lesson,Lets rob together now!* With this i do not think on anybody particulary,but on 'dependance' itself.

To continue from where we left off,in as much as we are dependent on the 'God in others' and avail the services ,it is also incumbent on us to 'serve the God in others' as well-This is the duty enjoined on us.The word 'Duty' comes from 'Dues'-we have to repay our 'dues' in the form of Duty-It is clear that this 'Duty' is not something arbitrary and to be dismissed lightly.

O yes,very convinient. Duty and dues. This is something all the fake teachers,all the priest in the world are saying. From so much Holy words from scriptures they remembered only this. And they actually expect only one thing,and that is service and obedience to them and them only. Make man week,use half truths,or misplaced truths,use guilt,and rob them from everything manly. Made them slaves.
When it is about other people,they words apply,it is Sanatana dharma. When these same words they should apply,they simply forget it. How convinient.
How many times i read Sanatana Dharma,and i do not see an S from Sanatana in actual example which should be given. It is just a weapon to make people week. Guilt and half truths are great weapon.

Householders do not know who is a good wife and who is a bad wife, who is a vidyasakti and who is an avidyasakti. A vidyasakti, a good wife, has very little lust and anger. She sleeps little. She pushes her husband's head away from her. She is full of affection, kindness, devotion, modesty, and other noble qualities. Such a wife serves all, looking on all men as her children. Further, she helps increase her husband's love of God. She doesn't spend much money lest her husband should have to work hard and thus not get leisure to think of God.

I have read scriptures which speak about this,and i agree completely! But,there is a section for men also. But i did not saw any quote it. They remember only duties of women. What about loyality of a man? No ones quotes this. All want Sita,but are they Rama?? They see women like some toys,and objects,something to give them respect and pleasure,and again,one slave more. But love is not this. Not even respect. It is domination and manipulation. And all they end up manipulated in the end,coz no one can be slave whole life.

And we do not need any book to teach us how to live. They are good til some point only,but you must actually live these words. Otherwise,they are just empty words,and nothing more. These books can also distort the man completely. To rise more fear in him,and the point is actually to get read of fear.

All are good in preaching,but when they need to show it,they are nowhere to be found.

With love and prayers,
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:55:16 AM by Jewell »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: September 10, 2014, 06:51:07 AM »
Jewell,
Thanks very much for your detailed comments.This is only a 'Rough-Notebook' thread and as such I have posted what I have understood.It is clear that it did not make sense to you.Please ignore it and carry on with whatever appeals to you and what makes sense to you.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: September 10, 2014, 07:15:03 AM »
Talk 541.
A certain visitor asked Sri Bhagavan:There is so much misery in the world because wicked men abound in the world. How can one find happiness here?
M.: All are gurus to us. The wicked say by their evil deeds, 'Do not come near me'. The good are always good. So then, all persons are like gurus to us.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 08:16:06 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: September 10, 2014, 12:41:41 PM »
Friends,
The Story of then teenaged Holy Mother Sri Sarada Devi meeting with a Dacoit is an interesting one.

Holy Mother was coming to Dakshineswar on foot. Her nephew Shivaram and others accompanied her. She was un?able to walk fast which meant that the party won?t be able to cross the fields of Telo-Bhelo infested with dacoits before evening. Ignoring her own safety she asked others to proceed without waiting for her.

Evening fell and the extensive field became pitch-dark. Mother was still plodding on all alone! Suddenly she found a fearsome dacoit of black complexion and shaggy hair wearing silver bangles and holding a staff in hand standing before her. It was natural that a simple, shy village woman like her would shake in fear under such circumstances. Mother too got fright?ened at first. But soon she composed herself and did some?thing which a daring modern woman could hardly do. Calmly she said to the dacoit, ?Father, my companions have left me behind. It would be of great help if you kindly take me to them! Your son-in-law lives in the Kali temple of Dakshineswar. I am going to him.? Meanwhile, the wife of the dacoit came forward and Holy Mother said to her, ?Mother, I am your daughter Sarada. It?s my good luck that I met you; otherwise I can?t say what I would have done.? Mother?s lov?ing words instantly changed them. They accepted her as their own daughter, arranged a safe place for her rest at night and the following morning took her to the relatives waiting at Tarakeswar. Before taking leave of their daughter the dacoit couple wept bitterly.
Holy Mother disclosed later that her ?dacoit father? saw Goddess Kali in her.

The complete story of Holy Mother for Children is available here:
http://belurmath.org/kids_section/the-dacoit-father/
Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: September 10, 2014, 02:37:39 PM »
Chinnaswami and Ramanatha Brahmachari:

Ramanatha Brahmachari was a great devotee of 'Sri Bhagavan and at the same time, he was also a Gandhian.  He used
to wear thick glassed spectacles and was also a puny and weak man.

Chinnaswami told him not to make thread in Charka (which he was doing everyday) so that his eyesight would not
get worsened.  Ramanatha did not listen to him and continued to do the same.

One day Chinnaswami got angry and told him:  If you do not listen to me, I shall roll you down the steps (in the Dining
Hall). Do you know Who am I?

Ramanatha Brahmachari coolly answered: If you and I were to really know Who are We? then we would not be here!

Arunachala Siva.       

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: September 13, 2014, 05:20:30 PM »
Friends,
The songs of Thayumanavar are quite representative of all that  the human spirit aspires for, all the challenges that it encounters in its inexorable reaching out to embrace the universal and transcendental.Here is one such typical song:

பாகத்தி னாற்கவிதை பாடிப் படிக்கவோ
      பத்திநெறி யில்லைவேத
   பாராய ணப்பனுவல் மூவர்செய் பனுவலது
      பகரவோ இசையுமில்லை
யோகத்தி லேசிறிது முயலவென் றால்தேகம்
      ஒவ்வாதி வூண்வெறுத்தால்
   உயிர்வெறுத் திடலொக்கும் அல்லாது கிரியைகள்
      உபாயத்தி னாற்செய்யவோ
மோகத்தி லேசிறிதும் ஒழியவிலை மெய்ஞ்ஞான
      மோனத்தில் நிற்கஎன்றால்
   முற்றாது பரிபாக சத்திக ளனேகநின்
      மூதறிவி லேஎழுந்த
தாகத்தி லேவாய்க்கும் அமிர்தப் பிரவாகமே
      தன்னந் தனிப்பெருமையே
   சர்வபரி பூரண அகண்டதத் துவமான
      சச்சிதா னந்தசிவமே.

Out of ripeness, to sing  or recite Hymns
I have not the discipline of devotion.
If I am to chant the Vedas and songs of the Saints Three(the holy Tevaram)
I have not the music in me.
If I am to attempt yoga a little
The body does not permit it.
If I am to give up food
It looks like giving up life itself.
If I think of performing some light kriyas
I find no respite from desire ridden activities.
If I am to abide in the Silentness of jnana-
Numerous are the ripe qualities that are unfulfilled.
Oh! Flood of Ambrosia attained through earnestness
Arising in mature consciousness!
Oh! Self ensconced Greatness Rare! Oh! All perfect whole,
the undivided principle-That is Satchidananda siva!

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: September 13, 2014, 05:37:11 PM »
Men must endure their going hence, even as their coming hither.Ripeness is all.

William shakespeare