Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 365850 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #1050 on: August 11, 2014, 11:11:47 PM »
Nagaraj/Friends,
An excerpt from the diary of Satish chandra Nath -Morton Institution,2 December 1924

I Reached the Morton Institution at 08:00 a.m. M. was reading the proof of the kathamrita and asked me to sit on a bench.
M Said:"A free soul loves to see long roads,expansive skies,and vast meadows,and also to have the company of the holy.He does not like to be caught in bondage.The Master could not tie a knot,tuck the mosquito curtain under his mattress,or stitch a cloth.He could not even write.His mind always dwelt in god.It was necessary for him to bring the mind down to write something,so he could not write.When he tried to,it turned into scribbles.
"Again the Master could not eat his meal mixing various dishes together,because this required him to bring the mind down.But to please the devotees,he would bring the mind down and eat.Sometimes to bring the mind down,he would say,'I shall drink some water.' One day he asked me,'could you tell me why I am in such a state?' I replied:'Your mind remains in a higher state.You bring it down to play with the devotees.' Immediately he corrected me saying:'No,I don't bring the mind down.It is the Mother who does that.'

In the times of Sri Ramakrishna as well,people thought like what you have been ruminating.Yet unknown to one and all, silently the divine plants itself amidst all the chaos and quietly spreads its fragrance.It has been like this before,it will be like this now and it will be like this in times to come.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: August 12, 2014, 07:40:40 AM »
atmavichar(Krishna),
He then graciously said, "You know Ulladu Narpadu [Truth in Forty Verses]. It imparts Pure Truth, deals with it and explains it. Go on reading it verse by verse. The words of the verses will in course of time vanish and Pure Truth (sat) alone wil shine, like the snake relinquishing its skin and coming out shining.
Yes,the words of the great ones are instinct with chaitanya and they not only serve as a pointer but have the power to reveal the Truth to the devotee.
Here is an excerpt from Sri Nolini kanta Gupta ,one of the earliest companion and disciple of Sri Aurobindo:

Once I told you, I think, how to study or approach Sri Aurobindo and the Mother in order to read them or understand their writings. There are two things: studying and reading; I made a distinction between the two. To study Sri Aurobindo is ― I won't say fruitless, that is too strong a word, but it can only be an aid or a supplementary way. Study means: you take the text, you understand mentally each word and phrase; if you don't understand, you take a dictionary and try to catch the external meaning expressed by the words. That may be necessary but it is not the way to approach their works.
Simply to read them in the right way is sufficient. Read, it does not matter what you understand and what you do not, simply read and wait in an expectant silence. In studying you approach them with your external mind, your external intelligence. But what is there in the text is beyond your mind, beyond your intelligence. And to understand mentally means you drive your intellect forward into the thing. It is an effort and takes you only to the outside of the thing. It is an exercise of your brain, developed in that way, but it doesn't take you very far.
Instead of that, suppose you could keep quiet, silence your mind, and only read, without unduly trying to understand, and wait for what is there in the text to enter into you. Instead of your intelligence driving forward, pushing forward and trying to catch the thing, let the thing come into you; for what is there in their writings is not words and phrases, dead material, it is something very living, something conscious, that they have expressed in the words, phrases and the sound and rhythm. And I may tell you that each sentence anywhere, not to speak of Savitri, is a living being with whom you have to make acquaintance ― not that you understand or are able to explain, but it is a living being, an entity, a friend, even a Lover whom you have to know. And your attempt in that way will be rewarded. You will enjoy much more. You may ask: 'Just because I open a book and read, how can what are in the lines come to me?' But I say they are living entities ― if you approach in the right spirit, they come into you. The consciousness, the being in each line comes to you. And you find how beautiful it is. This is an approach of love, not of the intellect to understand and explain. Take for example, the very first verse of Savitri:
It was the hour before the Gods awake.
It is a Mantra, a living person, how beautiful it is, you needn't understand much ― and a whole world is there.
Or, take the opening sentence of The Life Divine ― the rolling cadence of the vast ocean is there. It brings you a sense of vastness, a sense of Infinity and takes you there. And, as I said, it is a very living entity and personality.
Here is the whole passage:
The earliest preoccupation of man in his awakened thoughts and, as it seems, his inevitable and ultimate preoccupation, ― for it survives the longest periods of scepticism and returns after every banishment, ― is also the highest which his thought can envisage: It manifests itself in the divination of Godhead, the impulse towards perfection, the search after pure Truth and unmixed Bliss, the sense of a secret immortality. The ancient dawns of human knowledge have left us their witness to this constant aspiration; today we see a humanity satiated but not satisfied by victorious analysis of the externalities of Nature preparing to return to its primeval longings. The earliest formula of Wisdom promises to be its last, ― God, Light, Freedom, Immortality.
There is indeed a personality behind it and you have to make acquaintance with that personality. That is what I meant when I said: become it, by an approach through love, an approach through your soul. Even in studies you shouldn?t approach with the mere intellect, mere mental understanding; however fine an understanding or intellect you may have, it won't lead you very far. Only through your soul you can go far. Even intellectual things can be approached through your soul ― because the soul is the very essence of all your faculties and being. The soul is not mere consciousness, mere being, it gathers in all the elements of your personality. The seeds of your mind, your vital, even of the physical personality, the true physical personality, are there in your soul, and you can establish a true relation with things and persons through that part of your being ― your soul. And remember the soul is not very far from you because you are that-rather your mind, your vital, your physical are away from you; they are not your true personality. It is your soul that is nearest to you.

What is a mere 'pointer' to the intellect is actually 'food' for the soul-சாப்பா டுன்னைச் சார்ந்துண வாயான் சாந்தமாய்ப் போவ னருணாசலா .
Namaskar.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:45:34 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: August 12, 2014, 07:49:20 AM »
Atmavichar/Nagaraj/Friends,
In many of his talks,Nochur Sri Venkatraman starts with a suggestion to the listeners not to clutch at the words with the mind ,taking notes,etc but to simply listen and allow what is conveyed to seep in.What is communicated has its own intrinsic power to get to the receptive listener.
There is an alternative approach of the intellect favored by many other popular speakers who actually take a 'Class' and expect the participants to 'study'.This may have its role and utility but has its limitation.
Everything has a place catering to the diverse needs of the seekers in various stages of development.
Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: August 12, 2014, 08:12:53 PM »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: August 13, 2014, 07:23:42 AM »
Friends,
An excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
DEVOTEE: "Sir, to see you is the same as to see God."
MASTER: "Don't ever say that again. The waves belong to the Ganges, not the Ganges to the waves. A man cannot realize God unless he gets rid of all such egotistic ideas as 'I am such an important man' or 'I am so and so'. Level the mound of 'I' to the ground by dissolving it with tears of devotion."

True Devotion dissolves the mound of 'I' but sentimental devotion indulges itself in a vain way by attaching itself with the Object of devotion,  mistaking the wave for the ocean.
As Swami Vivekananda says: Christs and Buddhas are but  waves on the boundless ocean which I am. Bow down to nothing but your own  higher Self. Until you know that you are that very God of gods, there will never  be any freedom for you.
Namaskar

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: August 13, 2014, 07:59:22 AM »
Friends,
A verse from Tirukkural:

வையத்துள் வாழ்வாங்கு வாழ்பவன் வான் உறையும்
தெய்வத்துள் வைக்கப் படும்

He who lives in this world as life ought to be lived
Shall abide as consciousness that permeates space.

Tiruvalluvar is also called பொய்யா மொழிப்புலவர்-The Sage whose words cannot be falsified.His work TirukkuRaL is also called வான் மறை-Universal scripture,as it is truly universal and the truth it expounds transcend all boundaries of Region,culture and Religions.
In the above verse The Great Sage says that All life is Yoga-There is nothing like so called separate Sadhana that sets it apart from temporal living.Man has to live in this world-He uses the phrase -வையத்துள் வாழ்வாங்கு வாழ்பவன்-He has to live like a man and live rightly(He does not define this-He leaves it to the seeker to ponder;Elsewhere he says -eedal ,isai pada vaazhdal-To Give and Live Harmoniously are the very food for the soul) and if one does this,such a one shall abide as consciousness forever.
He uses the word வைக்கப் படும் and not வைக்கப்படுவர்-The plurality of souls is only apparently so,what exists is one consciousness ,undivided,pure and simple.
"All life is Yoga"-Sri Aurobindo
Namaskar.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:06:06 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: August 14, 2014, 07:22:34 AM »
Friends,
An excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

Sri Ramakrishna looked at the devotees assembled in the worship hall and said: "It is very good to gather in this way, now and then, and think of God and sing His name and glories.But the worldly man's yearning for God is momentary. It lasts as long as a drop of water on a red-hot frying-pan."

We may dwell on the above saying of Sri Ramakrishna to understand what Bhakti is and ways of Fostering it.What is Bhakti?
Bhakti is the yearning to be one with God,the paramatma who is our very soul.This naturally implies getting rid of all other attachments to objects and appearances in this world.As long as this is not done,the Yearning gets doused and fizzles out.
What is the nature of this yearning?It is a wistful remembrance to get back to what is forgotten or ignored.It is like a gentle strain of music that quells all thought and compels our attention to its source of origin.It is important to recognize this gentle pull within,taking care to shut out the noise and din of the outer nature.
Our outer nature is characterized by sensation and excitement of a boisterous kind or a quiet desperation and all that forms a complete spectrum in between.If this excitement is denied,it brings up what is called boredom.Life for the ordinary man is nothing but a constant shifting of these emotional states whirring in a kaleidoscopic fashion.It keeps alternating between the Highs and the lows and the dreary in between deserts of quiet desperation.As long as this nature is allowed to continue,there is very little chance for Bhakti to grow.To the contrary,this outer nature hijacks even the 'drop' of Bhakti and dissipates it in emotional sentimentalism.Instead of turning it within and towards the source,it throws it outward in an orgy of emotional frenzy-The more the exhibition of this emotion(either to oneself or to others),the more the bhakti or so it thinks.It mistakes this emotion for Bhakti and attachment to the object to which this emotion is directed as nista.'I am a devotee of X'-and I have to look for similar devotees of 'X' wherein my 'emotional quotient' will get intensified and sustained.The heightening of this emotion is deemed as 'Bhakti'.Yet,by very nature this is not sustainable-'It lasts as long as a drop of water on a red-hot frying pan'.This sort of a 'Bhakti' is poles apart from the true Bhakti,as much as a fizzy cola is from the sweet waters of a natural spring.
For Bhakti to be sustainable it has to be founded on quietude-This quietude is obtained when we shut out the attachment and craving for all objects(we do not have to give up the objects.We may very well use them).When the noise and din of the outer world is quietened,there will be smarana or constant remembrance of God.This constant remembrance is Bhakti.
In other words,without vairagya and viveka,Bhakti is not possible.Bhakti leads to subsidence of the mind in its source and this is jnAna.As Sri Nochur venkatraman says so beautifully-'To subside and know is Bhakti'to know and subside is jnAna'.In both the approaches,there should be subsidence of the mind,and without that no spiritual practice can be deemed as one.

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: August 14, 2014, 08:08:21 AM »
आज्यधारया स्रोतसा समम्
सरलचिन्तनं विरलतः परम् ॥७॥

Like an unbroken flow of oil, continuous meditation
is better than the interrupted one.

?A disciple asked his teacher ?Sir, please tell me how I can see God.?  ?Come with me and I shall show you?, said the teacher.  He took the disciple to a lake and both of them entered the water.  Suddenly, the teacher thrust the disciple?s head into the water.  After a few minutes he released him.  The disciple stood up immediately.  The Guru then asked him how he felt when his head was held immersed in the water.  The disciple said, ?Oh, I thought I would die.  I was panting for my breath.?  The teacher said, ?When you feel for God with that same intensity and longing then know that you will not have to wait long for His vision?.?

The continuity is only nourished by the intensity of the quest, intensity of quest is nourished by dispassion, dispassion is nourished by constant reflection on the impermanent nature of the world (material and all relationships), that gives only pains.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: August 14, 2014, 08:59:23 AM »
Nagaraj/Friends,
Thanks very much.Yes,The continuity of smarana(விடாப்பிடி) is itself intensity as well.As Sri Bhagavan says :
பேய்தனம் விடவிடாப் பேயாப் பிடித்தெனை
        பேயனாக் கினையென் னருணாசலா.

Here is an excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
So the Master talked with M. - now standing, now pacing up and down the long verandah.

MASTER: "A little spiritual discipline is necessary in order to know what lies within."

M: "Is it necessary to practise discipline all through life?"

MASTER: "No. But one must be up and doing in the beginning. After that one need not work hard. The helmsman stands up and clutches the rudder firmly as long as the boat is passing through waves, storms, high wind, or around the curves of a river; but he relaxes after steering through them. As soon as the boat passes the curves and the helmsman feels a favourable wind, he sits comfortably and just touches the rudder. Next he prepares to unfurl the sail and gets ready for a smoke. Likewise, the aspirant enjoys peace and calm after passing the waves and storms of 'woman and gold'.

The Intensity that is felt by the emotional being is different from the Intensity felt by the inner being.The inner being  'just touches the rudder' in smarana.It maintains it when engaged in outer activity.

Sri Ramakrishna says:
"Do your duty with one hand and with the other hold to God. After the duty is over, you will hold to God with both hands."

The key thing for a stable sadhana is to get past the storms of 'woman and Gold'-The Bhakti that is founded on such a Base will last and lead one onwards.Bhakti has to be founded on this base of quietude.The Emotion that expresses it will then be beautifully contained and not dissipate itself in sentimental effusion.

In Sri Aurobindo's terminology,he calls it psychic devotion as opposed to vital devotion.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: August 15, 2014, 06:34:56 AM »
Friends,
It will be helpful to take a back to basics approach regarding the how and why of sadhana.Here are a few excerpts from the wonderful chapter in The Synthesis of Yoga -'Four aids'-Sri Aurobindo:

1.The supreme Shastra of the integral Yoga is the eternal Veda secret in the heart of every thinking and living being. The lotus of the eternal knowledge and the eternal perfection is a bud closed and folded up within us. It opens swiftly or gradually, petal by petal, through successive realisations, once the mind of man begins to turn towards the Eternal, once his heart, no longer compressed and confined by attachment to finite appearances, becomes enamoured, in whatever degree, of the Infinite. All life, all thought, all energising of the faculties, all experiences passive or active, become thenceforward so many shocks which disintegrate the teguments of the soul and remove the obstacles to the inevitable efflorescence. He who chooses the Infinite has been chosen by the Infinite. He has received the divine touch without which there is no awakening, no opening of the spirit; but once it is received, attainment is sure, whether conquered swiftly in the course of one human life or pursued patiently through many stadia of the cycle of existence in the manifested universe.

Nothing can be taught to the mind which is not already concealed as potential knowledge in the unfolding soul of the creature. So also all perfection of which the outer man is capable, is only a realising of the eternal perfection of the Spirit within him. We know the Divine and become the Divine, because we are That already in our secret nature. All teaching is a revealing, all becoming is an unfolding. Self-attainment is the secret; self-knowledge and an increasing consciousness are the means and the process.

2.For the Sadhaka of the Integral Yoga it is necessary to remember that no written Shastra, however great its authority or however large its spirit, can be more than a partial expression of the eternal Knowledge. He will use, but never bind himself even by the greatest Scripture. Where the Scripture is profound, wide, catholic, it may exercise upon him an influence for the highest good and of incalculable importance. It may be associated in his experience with his awakening to crowning verities and his realisation of the highest experiences. His Yoga may be governed for a long time by one Scripture or by several successively, -- if it is in the line of the great Hindu tradition, by the Gita, for example, the Upanishads, the Veda. Or it may be a good part of his development to include in its material a richly varied experience of the truths of many Scriptures and make the future opulent with all that is best in the past. But in the end he must take his station, or better still, if he can, always and from the beginning he must live in his own soul beyond the written Truth, -- sabdabrahmativartate -- beyond all that he has heard and all that he has yet to hear, -- srotaryasya srutasya ca. For he is not the Sadhaka of a book or of many books; he is a Sadhaka of the Infinite.

3.As the supreme Shastra of the integral Yoga is the eternal Veda secret in the heart of every man, so its supreme Guide and Teacher is the inner Guide, the World-Teacher, jagad-guru, secret within us. It is he who destroys our darkness by the resplendent light of his knowledge; that light becomes within us the increasing glory of his own self-revelation. He discloses progressively in us his own nature of freedom, bliss, love, power, immortal being. He sets above us his divine example as our ideal and transforms the lower existence into a reflection of that which it contemplates. By the inpouring of his own influence and presence into us he enables the individual being to attain to identity with the universal and transcendent.

What is his method and his system? He has no method and every method. His system is a natural organisation of the highest processes and movements of which the nature is capable. Applying themselves even to the pettiest details and to the actions the most insignificant in their appearance with as much care and thoroughness as to the greatest, they in the end lift all into the Light and transform all. For in his Yoga there is nothing too small to be used and nothing too great to be attempted. As the servant and disciple of the Master has no business with pride or egoism because all is done for him from above, so also he has no right to despond because of his personal deficiencies or the stumblings of his nature. For the Force that works in him is impersonal - or superpersonal-and infinite.

The full recognition of this inner Guide, Master of the Yoga, lord, light, enjoyer and goal of all sacrifice and effort, is of the utmost importance in the path of integral perfection. It is immaterial whether he is first seen as an impersonal Wisdom, Love and Power behind all things, as an Absolute manifesting in. the relative and attracting it, as one's highest Self and the highest Self of all, as a Divine Person within us and in the world, in one of his - or her - numerous forms and names or as the ideal which the mind conceives. In the end we perceive that he is all and more than all these things together- The mind's door of entry to the conception of him must necessarily vary according to the past evolution and the present nature.

4.The personal will of the Sadhaka has first to seize on the egoistic energies and turn them towards the light and the right; once turned, he has still to train them to recognise that always, always to accept, always to follow that. Progressing, he learns, still using the personal will, personal effort, personal energies, to employ them as representatives of the higher Power and in conscious obedience to the higher Influence. Progressing yet farther, his will, effort, energy become no longer personal and separate, but activities of that higher Power and Influence at work in the individual. But there is still a sort of gulf of distance which necessitates an obscure process of transit, not always accurate, sometimes even very distorting, between the divine Origin and the emerging human current. At the end of the progress, with the progressive disappearance of egoism and impurity and ignorance, this last separation is removed; all in the individual becomes the divine working.

Namaskar

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: August 15, 2014, 07:23:40 AM »
Here this pic tells the real meaning of the Chakra in our National Flag .Today i.e 15 August being the India's  Independence Day ,sharing this pic

However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: August 16, 2014, 01:35:53 PM »
Select Gita Verses in Rhythm
The following is a set of verses from Bhagavad Gita set in to Rhythm .It comes in the Tamil Movie "Nimirnthu Nil" which is basically a movie about how a  young man takes on the Corrupt system prevailing in the Country .

The song starts with a mediocre intro and turns into a rhythmic and strong one once the versere are up. 
The song was composed with verses 16, 18, 27, 28 and 37 of Chapter 2 "Sankhya yoga" and the selected verses deal with  "The eternal reality of the Soul's immortality".  These verses, that convey very deep meaning, are some of the words of advice from Shri Krishna to convince Arjuna into the inevitable war (which Arjuna laments as his unfortunate situation) to fight against Arjuna's (evil) relatives and teachers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne9a997_lUw

Verse -16

Meaning: The unreal (the non-existent/the material body) has no duration (endurance/ everlastingness);   And the real (eternal soul) has no cessation ( end / changing quality ).  These conclusions (of both of the two) have indeed been observed by seers of Truth.

Verse -18

Meaning:

All these material bodies (of kurukshetra warriors) are sure to come to an end; the embodied soul is eternal in existence, immeasurable and indestructible.  Therefore, fight, (Arjuna / O descendant of) Bharata.

Verse-27

Meaning:
For one who has taken birth, death is certain; and for one who is dead, birth is certain.  Therefore you should not lament for your inevitable duty.

Verse-28

Meaning:
All that are created are non-manifest in the beginning; (they become) manifest in middle; (and they become) non-manifest again when vanquished. So, what is the need for lamentation?

Verse -37

Meaning:
Slain, you will win a place in heaven; Victorious, you will enjoy the earth.  Therefore, O son of Kunthi, get up and fight, for victory is certain.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 01:46:34 PM by atmavichar100 »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: August 17, 2014, 04:32:33 PM »
Subramanian/Friends,
Thanks very much to our friend subramanian for posting 'Gems from bhagavan' by Devaraja Mudaliar in The 'Teachings of Sri Ramana' thread.
We just returned from Tiruvannamalai after spending 2 wonderful Days in Tiruvannamalai,basking in the sunshine and Grace of Sri Bhagavan and Arunachala.
One significant change is that the samadhi shrine of Sri Annamalai swami has been given a whitewash and looks neat and clean.This is one of the best places in the asramam for quiet contemplation-when we were there,not a single soul was there.The Rest of the places including the Old Hall was overflowing with devotees.One very heart warming thing is that youngsters are attracted in large numbers to our Guru,Sri Bhagavan.The Saturday parayana is something i always enjoy-with the chanting of the incomparable Ramana stuti Panchakam of satyamangalam venkatrama iyer-What a Great devotee!
We had the opportunity to visit the room where Chadwick stayed.It is beautifully maintained by the asram.Fortunately when we chanced to see 'Doctor' at that place and he graciously let us in.This room is surcharged with a 'Hush'. The Cot and bed of Sadhu arunachala are preserved beautifully with a few pictures adorning the walls.
Unfortunately the small cottage of Sri annamalai Swami has a different story.The Flooring has been replaced with white tiles and someone has occupied the inner chamber where Swami had his bedroom.It would have been nice had Swami's used items were preserved and the original flooring bearing his footprints maintained,and his room preserved with the same care like that of Chadwick's.How on earth would anyone dare to use it for any other purpose,whatever it be!There were my thoughts,as my thought went up to those memorable days when the Swami played the Gracious host whenever I barged in without any prior intimation.
It was nice to see Nochur Sri venkatraman sitting along with others and sing the ramana stuti panchakam yesterday evening.He was also sitting along with the Veda patasala members today morning to chant the taittriya upanishad.
Yesterday night we had a wonderful Giri Pradakshina amidst pouring rain-we equipped ourselves with umbrellas and we walked slow and steady and the rain came in as a blessing in disguise as much as it forced us to move at a leisurely pace.We began at 20:30 hrs and were back by 12:15 hrs.We just did not rest anywhere and took the entire stretch on a single lap.
I will post a little later about my encounter with another 'Guru'(Guru within quotes).I have to necessarily censor a few things as the persons involved are very much at large and they are quite sincere and well meaning.
Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: August 17, 2014, 05:13:00 PM »
Dear Ravi,

Nice post about your Tiruvannamalai trip. The  giri pradakshina in the rain is a great feat.  For rain starved T'malai, it is a
blessing in disguise.  Please post some more intreresting things that you have encountered in T'malai.

Arunachala Siva,

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: August 17, 2014, 07:19:25 PM »