Author Topic: Rough Notebook-Open Forum  (Read 367806 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Rough Notebook-Open Forum
« Reply #1035 on: August 11, 2014, 12:41:41 AM »
Nagaraj,
As a Sadhana as well,it is indispensable to practise Fidelity while reporting even an ordinary event,and not just when reporting the words of the Great ones-This is a form of adherence to Truthfulness.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: August 11, 2014, 08:40:01 AM »
Nagaraj/Friends,
coming to the other topic that you hav brought out:

once the Real is known, even the pointing finger becomes false. So at some point, one has to just drop it off and express straight from ones own recognition,  the spirit of it can never be wrong.

Here is an excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

"A man had two sons. The father sent them to a preceptor to learn the Knowledge of Brahman. After a few years they returned from their preceptor's house and
bowed low before their father. Wanting to measure the depth of their knowledge of Brahman, he first questioned the older of the two boys. 'My child,' he said, 'You have studied all the scriptures. Now tell me, what is the nature of Brahman?' The boy began to explain Brahman by reciting various texts from the Vedas. The father did not say anything.Then he asked the younger son the same question. But the boy remained silent and stood with eyes cast down. No word escaped his lips. The father was pleased and said to him: 'My child, you have understood a little of Brahman. What It is cannot be expressed in words.'

We have the classic example of Hastamalaka.It was only when the Guru asked him who he was that he even opened his mouth to speak!It is enough to recognize it for ourselves.Or else as Sri Ramakrishna used to ask,'Do you have 'Chapras'?(Divine Command)
In Namadev's case,it is just that the Lord wanted to give him the Realization of the supreme Truth about the Lord.He had to graduate from dualistic type of Bhakti to parabhakti where the devotee feels that the Lord alone is and there is no devotee.It cannot be said that he was 'egoistic' in the sense that we understand.It is just that he discovered that there is something that the Lord had not revealed to him,although he was on intimate talking terms with the Lord.He felt humiliated on account of this.The rest of that wonderful story is known to us.
Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: August 11, 2014, 11:59:43 AM »
Dear Sri Ravi,

What i was trying to say is that, (just to illustrate the essence), when one has just learning german language, and goes to Germany, he constantly refers to the reference book for all his conversation purposes. but at sometime, he has to discard his reference book, only so that he gains confidence in speaking the german language without any help. There would be some diffidence initially, but unless he let goes of the reference book, he would only delay in speaking the language confidently without any help of any reference books. The diffidence ought to be overcome.

All that i was saying is that one has to give life to ones own aparokshanubhuti as well - ones own direct experience. Just to illustrate, suppose we are in some place, where we have no access to any books and references, then we have to depend on the light from within. This is what i was trying to convey. And absolutely yes, nothing comes without divine will, as the Master says. the essence of what i was trying to say was that we should not entirely get dependent on the Guru and books alone. The Guru would not want the aspirant to be bound to Himself or the scriptures as well, He says, we are not merely just the philosophers stone which converts any material that it touched into Gold but verily He makes the aspirant another Chintamani stone itself that is capable of converting any material into another chintamani itself. For it we have to stand naked, stripped of everything and face it upfront by the grace of the Guru. But all these do not transpire by ones own effort artificially, it would happen, when time calls for it.

The Mother bird when it sees that her young bird does not fly, it pushes the young bird from the nest so that it learns to fly. Similarly, Guru is a vaidya, once He has give us the Vidya medicine, by His grace, this Vidya ought to be nourished, this Vidya is beyond the scriptures. And this does not mean one goes to become a Guru and so on. just verily in ones own day to day affairs, in ones own activities, This vidya is to be nurtured.

--
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 12:05:41 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: August 11, 2014, 12:09:28 PM »
Shankara's Ekashloki -

किं ज्योतिस्तवभानुमानहनि मे रात्रौ प्रदीपादिकं
स्यादेवं रविदीपदर्शनविधौ किं ज्योतिराख्याहि मे ।
चक्षुस्तस्य निमीलनादिसमये किं धीर्धियो दर्शने
किं तत्राहमतो भवान्परमकं ज्योतिस्तदस्मि प्रभो ॥
इति श्रीमत्परमहंसपरिव्राजकाचार्यस्य
श्रीगोविन्दभगवत्पूज्यपादशिष्यस्य

Guru: How do you see (What is that light/power which helps you see?)
Sishya: I see with the help of sunlight
Guru: How do you see in the night?
Sishya: I see with the help of a lamp
Guru: Let that be so. How do you see the light? How do you see (your visualizations) even before you open your eyes?
Sishya: It is with my intellect
Guru: What helps you see (know) that intellect?
Sishya: This is me (me as pure consciousness)
Guru: (Indeed) You are that supreme light
Sishya: I realize that I am

Ulladu Naarpadu Anubandham (7)

Master : By what light do you see?
Disciple : The sun by day, the lamp by night.
M : By what light do you see these lights?
D : The eye.
M : By what light do you see the eye?
D : The mind.
M : By what light do you know the mind?
D : My Self.
M : You then are the Light of Lights.
D : Yes, That I am.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: August 11, 2014, 01:46:28 PM »
Nagaraj,
Sadhana is for gaining first hand experience only.For what is this experience but Silence ,Peace and Bliss.One's experience is enough for oneself but may not be enough for others.This is how Sri Ramakrishna puts it:
He who is an acharya has to know different things. One needs a sword and shield to kill others; but to kill oneself, a needle or a nail-knife suffices.

There are a few great ones who were just content to quote the words of the Guru-Classic example is 'M'.The chapter 'Blissful Devotee and the Cosmic Romance' in Autobiography of a Yogi beautifully brings this out.

Sri Ramakrishna used to send devotees to 'M'.An Interesting incident comes to my mind,regarding Subodh(who later became Swami Subhodananda):

One day the Master asked Subodh to go now and then to Mahendra Nath Gupta afterwards known as 'M' who lived near Subodh's home in Calcutta. At this the boy said, "He has not been able to cut asunder his family tie, what shall I learn of God from him?" The Master enjoyed these words indicative of Subodh's great spirit of renunciation and said, 'He will not talk anything of his own. He will talk only of what he learns from here." So one day Subodh went to 'M' and frankly narrated the conversation he had had with the Master. 'M' appreciated the frankness of the boy and said, "I am an insignificant person. But I live by the side of an ocean, and I keep with me a few pitchers of sea water. When a visitor comes, I entertain him with that. What else can I speak?" The sweet and candid nature of Subodh soon made him a great favourite with 'M'. After this Subodh was a frequent visitor at his house, where he would often spend long hours listening to 'M''s talks on the Master.

This is the way of the Bhakta.A Bhakta will simply revels in just repeating the words of his guru or the words of God(Bhagavatham).He does not find any need for anything on his own.
In the wonderful interview that Jim Lemkin did of Sri Annamalai Swami,Swami tells him towards the end-'All that I have spoken are only what Sri Bhagavan had said.'
Here is the video link for easy reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqwebTmlocw

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: August 11, 2014, 02:08:38 PM »
One's experience is enough for oneself but may not be enough for others.

yes, absolutely agree, but along with it wrt above quote, from that center, ones own genuine experience will benefit immensely for any other, for everybody is same as oneself. Everybody thinks and feels the same. then we would do on to others what we would do to ourselves. It may so happen to be that we would share the very words of saints as it is as that is what we we do for our own selves. But even otherwise, it would only do 'Hitham' to others, what ever one does to oneself.

Bhagavan says in Nan Yar -

"All that one gives to others one is giving only to oneself.
If this truth is discerned, who indeed would refrain from giving?"

So, i feel, if we are in tune with ourselves, we would be of same help to anybody, along with the words of Saints as it is. It need not be that our genuine experience would be of use not just to oneself but verily others, who are but oneself.

--

-
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 02:12:19 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: August 11, 2014, 04:49:12 PM »
Nagaraj/Friends,
Here is the excerpt from 'Autobiography of a Yogi':

Chapter 9: The Blissful Devotee and His Cosmic Romance
"Little sir, please be seated. I am talking to my Divine Mother."

Silently I had entered the room in great awe. The angelic appearance of Master Mahasaya fairly dazzled me. With silky white beard and large lustrous eyes, he seemed an incarnation of purity. His upraised chin and folded hands apprized me that my first visit had disturbed him in the midst of his devotions.

His simple words of greeting produced the most violent effect my nature had so far experienced. The bitter separation of my mother's death I had thought the measure of all anguish. Now an agony at separation from my Divine Mother was an indescribable torture of the spirit. I fell moaning to the floor.

"Little sir, quiet yourself!" The saint was sympathetically distressed.

Abandoned in some oceanic desolation, I clutched his feet as the sole raft of my rescue.

"Holy sir, thy intercession! Ask Divine Mother if I find any favor in Her sight!"

This promise is one not easily bestowed; the master was constrained to silence.

Beyond reach of doubt, I was convinced that Master Mahasaya was in intimate converse with the Universal Mother. It was deep humiliation to realize that my eyes were blind to Her who even at this moment was perceptible to the faultless gaze of the saint. Shamelessly gripping his feet, deaf to his gentle remonstrances, I besought him again and again for his intervening grace.

"I will make your plea to the Beloved." The master's capitulation came with a slow, compassionate smile.

What power in those few words, that my being should know release from its stormy exile?

"Sir, remember your pledge! I shall return soon for Her message!" Joyful anticipation rang in my voice that only a moment ago had been sobbing in sorrow.

Descending the long stairway, I was overwhelmed by memories. This house at 50 Amherst Street, now the residence of Master Mahasaya, had once been my family home, scene of my mother's death. Here my human heart had broken for the vanished mother; and here today my spirit had been as though crucified by absence of the Divine Mother. Hallowed walls, silent witness of my grievous hurts and final healing!

continued...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:54:41 PM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: August 11, 2014, 04:53:57 PM »
Excerpt from 'Autobiography of a Yogi'-The Blissful devotee and his cosmic Romance continued....

My steps were eager as I returned to my Gurpar Road home. Seeking the seclusion of my small attic, I remained in meditation until ten o'clock. The darkness of the warm Indian night was suddenly lit with a wondrous vision.

Haloed in splendor, the Divine Mother stood before me. Her face, tenderly smiling, was beauty itself.

"Always have I loved thee! Ever shall I love thee!"

The celestial tones still ringing in the air, She disappeared.

The sun on the following morning had hardly risen to an angle of decorum when I paid my second visit to Master Mahasaya. Climbing the staircase in the house of poignant memories, I reached his fourth-floor room. The knob of the closed door was wrapped around with a cloth; a hint, I felt, that the saint desired privacy. As I stood irresolutely on the landing, the door was opened by the master's welcoming hand. I knelt at his holy feet. In a playful mood, I wore a solemn mask over my face, hiding the divine elation.

"Sir, I have come-very early, I confess!-for your message. Did the Beloved Mother say anything about me?"

"Mischievous little sir!"

Not another remark would he make. Apparently my assumed gravity was unimpressive.

"Why so mysterious, so evasive? Do saints never speak plainly?" Perhaps I was a little provoked.

"Must you test me?" His calm eyes were full of understanding. "Could I add a single word this morning to the assurance you received last night at ten o'clock from the Beautiful Mother Herself?"

Master Mahasaya possessed control over the flood-gates of my soul: again I plunged prostrate at his feet. But this time my tears welled from a bliss, and not a pain, past bearing.

"Think you that your devotion did not touch the Infinite Mercy? The Motherhood of God, that you have worshiped in forms both human and divine, could never fail to answer your forsaken cry."

Who was this simple saint, whose least request to the Universal Spirit met with sweet acquiescence? His role in the world was humble, as befitted the greatest man of humility I ever knew. In this Amherst Street house, Master Mahasaya conducted a small high school for boys. No words of chastisement passed his lips; no rule and ferule maintained his discipline. Higher mathematics indeed were taught in these modest classrooms, and a chemistry of love absent from the textbooks. He spread his wisdom by spiritual contagion rather than impermeable precept. Consumed by an unsophisticated passion for the Divine Mother, the saint no more demanded the outward forms of respect than a child.

continued....

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: August 11, 2014, 04:58:46 PM »
Excerpt from 'Autobiography of a Yogi'-The Blissful devotee and his cosmic Romance continued....

"I am not your guru; he shall come a little later," he told me. "Through his guidance, your experiences of the Divine in terms of love and devotion shall be translated into his terms of fathomless wisdom."

Every late afternoon, I betook myself to Amherst Street. I sought Master Mahasaya's divine cup, so full that its drops daily overflowed on my being. Never before had I bowed in utter reverence; now I felt it an immeasurable privilege even to tread the same ground which Master Mahasaya sanctified.

"Sir, please wear this champak garland I have fashioned especially for you." I arrived one evening, holding my chain of flowers. But shyly he drew away, repeatedly refusing the honor. Perceiving my hurt, he finally smiled consent.

"Since we are both devotees of the Mother, you may put the garland on this bodily temple, as offering to Her who dwells within." His vast nature lacked space in which any egotistical consideration could gain foothold.

"Let us go tomorrow to the Dakshineswar Temple, forever hallowed by my guru." Master Mahasaya was a disciple of a Christlike master, Sri Ramakrishna Paramhansa.

The four-mile journey on the following morning was taken by boat on the Ganges. We entered the nine-domed Temple of Kali, where the figures of the Divine Mother and Shiva rest on a burnished silver lotus, its thousand petals meticulously chiseled. Master Mahasaya beamed in enchantment. He was engaged in his inexhaustible romance with the Beloved. As he chanted Her name, my enraptured heart seemed shattered into a thousand pieces.

We strolled later through the sacred precincts, halting in a tamarisk grove. The manna characteristically exuded by this tree was symbolic of the heavenly food Master Mahasaya was bestowing. His divine invocations continued. I sat rigidly motionless on the grass amid the pink feathery tamarisk flowers. Temporarily absent from the body, I soared in a supernal visit.

This was the first of many pilgrimages to Dakshineswar with the holy teacher. From him I learned the sweetness of God in the aspect of Mother, or Divine Mercy. The childlike saint found little appeal in the Father aspect, or Divine Justice. Stern, exacting, mathematical judgment was alien to his gentle nature.

"He can serve as an earthly prototype for the very angels of heaven!" I thought fondly, watching him one day at his prayers. Without a breath of censure or criticism, he surveyed the world with eyes long familiar with the Primal Purity. His body, mind, speech, and actions were effortlessly harmonized with his soul's simplicity.

"My Master told me so." Shrinking from personal assertion, the saint ended any sage counsel with this invariable tribute. So deep was his identity with Sri Ramakrishna that Master Mahasaya no longer considered his thoughts as his own.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: August 11, 2014, 05:04:20 PM »

Hand in hand, the saint and I walked one evening on the block of his school. My joy was dimmed by the arrival of a conceited acquaintance who burdened us with a lengthy discourse.

"I see this man doesn't please you." The saint's whisper to me was unheard by the egotist, spellbound by his own monologue. "I have spoken to Divine Mother about it; She realizes our sad predicament. As soon as we get to yonder red house, She has promised to remind him of more urgent business."

My eyes were glued to the site of salvation. Reaching its red gate, the man unaccountably turned and departed, neither finishing his sentence nor saying good-by. The assaulted air was comforted with peace.

Another day found me walking alone near the Howrah railway station. I stood for a moment by a temple, silently criticizing a small group of men with drum and cymbals who were violently reciting a chant.

"How undevotionally they use the Lord's divine name in mechanical repetition," I reflected. My gaze was astonished by the rapid approach of Master Mahasaya. "Sir, how come you here?"

The saint, ignoring my question, answered my thought. "Isn't it true, little sir, that the Beloved's name sounds sweet from all lips, ignorant or wise?" He passed his arm around me affectionately; I found myself carried on his magic carpet to the Merciful Presence.

"Would you like to see some bioscopes?" This question one afternoon from Master Mahasaya was mystifying; the term was then used in India to signify motion pictures. I agreed, glad to be in his company in any circumstances. A brisk walk brought us to the garden fronting Calcutta University. My companion indicated a bench near the GOLDIGHI or pond.

"Let us sit here for a few minutes. My Master always asked me to meditate whenever I saw an expanse of water. Here its placidity reminds us of the vast calmness of God. As all things can be reflected in water, so the whole universe is mirrored in the lake of the Cosmic Mind. So my GURUDEVA often said."

continued...

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: August 11, 2014, 05:06:57 PM »

Soon we entered a university hall where a lecture was in progress. It proved abysmally dull, though varied occasionally by lantern slide illustrations, equally uninteresting.

"So this is the kind of bioscope the master wanted me to see!" My thought was impatient, yet I would not hurt the saint by revealing boredom in my face. But he leaned toward me confidentially.

"I see, little sir, that you don't like this bioscope. I have mentioned it to Divine Mother; She is in full sympathy with us both. She tells me that the electric lights will now go out, and won't be relit until we have a chance to leave the room."

As his whisper ended, the hall was plunged into darkness. The professor's strident voice was stilled in astonishment, then remarked, "The electrical system of this hall appears to be defective." By this time, Master Mahasaya and I were safely across the threshold. Glancing back from the corridor, I saw that the scene of our martyrdom had again become illuminated.

"Little sir, you were disappointed in that bioscope, but I think you will like a different one." The saint and I were standing on the sidewalk in front of the university building. He gently slapped my chest over the heart.

A transforming silence ensued. Just as the modern "talkies" become inaudible motion pictures when the sound apparatus goes out of order, so the Divine Hand, by some strange miracle, stifled the earthly bustle. The pedestrians as well as the passing trolley cars, automobiles, bullock carts, and iron-wheeled hackney carriages were all in noiseless transit. As though possessing an omnipresent eye, I beheld the scenes which were behind me, and to each side, as easily as those in front. The whole spectacle of activity in that small section of Calcutta passed before me without a sound. Like a glow of fire dimly seen beneath a thin coat of ashes, a mellow luminescence permeated the panoramic view.

My own body seemed nothing more than one of the many shadows, though it was motionless, while the others flitted mutely to and fro. Several boys, friends of mine, approached and passed on; though they had looked directly at me, it was without recognition.

The unique pantomime brought me an inexpressible ecstasy. I drank deep from some blissful fount. Suddenly my chest received another soft blow from Master Mahasaya. The pandemonium of the world burst upon my unwilling ears. I staggered, as though harshly awakened from a gossamer dream. The transcendental wine removed beyond my reach.

"Little sir, I see you found the second bioscope to your liking." The saint was smiling; I started to drop in gratitude on the ground before him. "You can't do that to me now; you know God is in your temple also! I won't let Divine Mother touch my feet through your hands!"

If anyone observed the unpretentious master and myself as we walked away from the crowded pavement, the onlooker surely suspected us of intoxication. I felt that the falling shades of evening were sympathetically drunk with God. When darkness recovered from its nightly swoon, I faced the new morning bereft of my ecstatic mood. But ever enshrined in memory is the seraphic son of Divine Mother-Master Mahasaya!

Trying with poor words to do justice to his benignity, I wonder if Master Mahasaya, and others among the deep-visioned saints whose paths crossed mine, knew that years later, in a Western land, I would be writing about their lives as divine devotees. Their foreknowledge would not surprise me nor, I hope, my readers, who have come thus far with me.

concluded.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: August 11, 2014, 05:38:07 PM »

50 Amherst Street
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: August 11, 2014, 09:27:54 PM »
Nagaraj,
Thanks for the pictures.The place is dilapidated and not well kept but this may be a blessing in disguise,in as much the stairs as well as the Floor of M's room in the attic may still carry the foot prints of the great soul.In Tiruchuzhi,Sri Bhagavan's house has been changed beyond recognition.In sivananda ashram ,Rishikesh,the master's room is still preserved as it was in his days.It is just on the banks of the Ganges.
Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: August 11, 2014, 10:03:53 PM »
Just a moments of reflection looking at these pictures and the likes, thinking about the times of Ramakrishnar Ramanar, or even late 80's, how much has our time changed today! It is beyond recognition! Unfortunately, such tapas of persons is a rarity today! Our country that was constantly blessed with great souls almost every 100 years, across countries, now it is a wonder, that the same tradition carries on, in an all new light. These changes may be very difficult to digest but the great twinkle is that that the changeless has remained the same for millions of years of human origination.

Seldom we will get to see Souls like two R's - Ramanakrishna or a Shirdi Baba or Kanchi Mahaswami. Where can we find another Bharathiyar, They would come in a all new manner! Such complicated, the world is today, an economic world!

It feels as though we are in all new Yugam, starting once again afresh from zero! perhaps i feel like an old man contemplating at the degree of changes that have transpired!! :D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:08:37 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: August 11, 2014, 10:36:40 PM »
Once I cried and told the Maharshi that I knew nothing about Vedanta nor could I practice austerity, being a householder. I prayed to him to help me by showing me the Reality or the way to it. I also frankly told him that his method of self-enquiry was too hard for me.

He then graciously said, "You know Ulladu Narpadu [Truth in Forty Verses]. It imparts Pure Truth, deals with it and explains it. Go on reading it verse by verse. The words of the verses will in course of time vanish and Pure Truth (sat) alone wil shine, like the snake relinquishing its skin and coming out shining.

~ R. Narayana Iyer, Face to Face with Sri Ramana Maharshi
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha