Author Topic: Connecting Ramana's and Christianity's teachings living in the West - possible?  (Read 3003 times)

Kicsi108

• View Profile
Dear All,

How can one combine the teachings of Raman with that of Christianity? Can one with a Christian background follow Ramana's teaching and yet remain 'Christian'? Aren't those teachings in contradiction? Just wondering how can one from the West follow Ramana's teaching without leaving behind his/her roots, religious background if possible?

Thank you for all helpful answers.
Members of this forum have given me great insights in connection with other questions so far. Thanks! :)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Kicsi108,

The basic teachings of Sri Bhagavan and Chirstianity are the same. Jesus said: I and My Father are One. Sri Bhagavan said:
Jiva and Brahman are one provided you merge (the mind or Jiva) into the Source.  Peripherally however, there could be
differences. Atma or Self hood is the same aim of all religions. That is why Sri Bhagavan never recommended to various
Western seekers not to convert themselves. One can be a true Christian and still do atma vichara. It is nothing but investigating
how my Father and I are one and the same.

Faith, surrender, compassion, love for all beings - are all the same for both the faiths. 

Arunachala Siva.   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Dear Kicsi108,

All religions, all scriptures are shouting the same truth.

What is required is proper understanding of ones own scriptures, unbiased understanding, and not just believing the various interpretations that have been made by the many so long. I do not know much about Christianity, but the interpretations of the bible have been different. There is old and new testaments.

But, if we ourselves look into the very words of Jesus, and inwardly search the essence of it, it truly is one and the same!

This topic http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=6683.0 by Ramana, is very useful in this regard.

I truly believe, there is just ONE TRUTH. And, there cannot be two different truths, two different Gods. It is absurd.

Lets not forget Man Made religions, and, god did not!

So, we should aspire to go beyond the Man's mind, which is obviously limited.

Sugar is english word, Cheeni is Hindi word, Sharkar is a Sanskrit, the words are different, but, the sweetness is same. Similarly, the religions are different words for the same sweetness. While ordinary people take the different words to be different, the wise see the same sweetness even though the words are different.

The colours of the cows are many, but, the milk is one.

If you may require, you may bring in any christian quotes here and we could collectively reflect on them and arrive at a common point.

What generally is done is that people take in blindly what one has already interpreted and himself does not question it. This way, religion becomes a dogma.

Buddha says - "Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”

We have seen many Christain Advaitic Saints, (St. Paul is said to be one) Muslim Advaitic Saints in the past (Sufi Mystics)

Advaita - Means - Non Dual, or we can further say, Non Difference. Hence Hinduism is not even a religion. Hence it is referred to as Sanathana Dharma or Universal truth, That which holds good to anybody, no matter who he is, what he may do, what his beliefs may be

There is no conversion to Sanathana Dharma. You may remain who you are, and continue your own prayers and rituals, and even without dropping your faith, you may realise the same truth, without even having to take a new God or a new messenger as your new one.

The Sanathana Dharma looks at you,, not with your body or mind or your ideas, it looks at you as the Atma, the Soul, the Spirit, which does not have, absolutely any attribute. All attributes, ie. colours, name, form, beliefs pertain to your body alone and not yourself.

hence, it is important for oneself to realise or just know who he really is.

Moreover Kicsi108, you don't even have to think it this way, ie. realising the teachings of Bhagavan Ramana or jesus Christ or Hindu, Islam, Just take it, as, what ever is the truth, Let it show light onto me.

Truth is not something like, Ramana's truth or Jesus's Truth, Prophet's Truth.

The One Universal Truth, they all saw, Let us also have darshan of that one truth, as seen by Ramana, Jesus, Prophet.

We need to change the paradigm of seeing as Ramana's truth, Jesus's Truth, Prophet's Truth.

Let us see and seek Truth.

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:56:27 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Kicsi108

• View Profile

Thank You so much for your helpful answers! :-)

Arunachala Shiva