Author Topic: Thoughts and emotions  (Read 2296 times)

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
Thoughts and emotions
« on: February 28, 2012, 11:36:23 AM »
Which is prior? Do we feel happy because we have good thoughts or we have good thoughts because we have good emotions? If we are sick we feel depressed or sad. What causes this depression or sadness - the change of thoughts and thoughts then change the emotions or the opposite?
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts and emotions
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 12:46:55 PM »
When you are happy you are actually in union with the object. When you are sad, you are actually in division with the object.

The play of union and division keeps going on and off, on and off, because, we have not yet realised that we are in union really, with everything.

When ever you are happy, it is only a fragment of that advaitic, non dual bliss.

So long, we discern fully that the subject is not differnet from objects, this union and division keeps going on and on and on...

When there is only one, in the end, one cannot even say, he is in union, for there is only one, and, how can one say, he is union with what? He can say he is in union with himself, but this too is not true, as to whom does one go and have to say, he is in union?

Now coming back to your question, you asked from where is this happiness and sadness coming, to say that it is coming from emotions or it is coming from thoughts, both are wrong or mistake. It comes from you, who is neither thoughts or emotions.

So the genuine answer is yourself. You might not get specific answers from my posts, but, my only intention is that unless, you know yourself, knowing all else is not going to be of much help, it will continue for eternity.

That which comes from yourself, you just name it, or segregate it as happiness or sadness or what ever, but you are yourself not that, but we believe, that that happiness or sadness to be ourselves.

There is nothing like prior or which comes first and which comes second. They all come as one, only we segregate it as first or second.

You are that from which all these arise. And that which arises from you is also yourself. only we name it differently or only we make it different from ourselves.

Fundamentally, everything is yourself. This is only theory as of now. But it only urges one to know that fundamental being. Who am I? Who is everything? Who am I who is asking? Who am I who is inquiring?

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 01:02:49 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 07:16:11 PM »
Yes. But consider this situation. You are sick, very sick and you feel terrible. This leads to popping of very negative thought - you remember sad events in your life, you feel desperate, you feel alone, sometimes think about death and so on. How in this situation can we say that emotions are due to thoughts but not otherwise?
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 08:14:51 PM »
Dear Ramana, Udai,

I have the following observation in the situation presented by Ramana,

If you are sick, very sick, you just have to allow your body to feel sick, the body will work itself out. All else is our creation, if you look in to why you are feeling terrible, it is because, you dont want to be sick, while the body is sick. The body became sick because of some alien particle within. Now it is only wise that we allow the body to heal itself, is it not?

We build up most things, what they say about making new karmas is this, we make new karmas out of our existing ones.

When negative thought comes, enquire, what it is about? does it express its unwillingness to cooperate with yourself feeling sick? if yes, then cajole yourself and make yourself understand that due to eating some bad food, I have caused discomfiture to my body, let me allow it to heal by relaxing. If you are feeling sick, just be willing to give the requisite rest to your body.

Allow the natural process. Do not question anything that is natural.

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:17:31 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

nonduel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 10:24:48 PM »
If you watch the thoughts you will notice that they surge by themselves, and if you barely pay any attention to them, you will also see them dissolve in silence. So you have nothing to do with thoughts. What brings happiness, anger, sadness is when you react to them, when you grab them and act on them.
They are only apparences in consciousness. Like image on a screen!  :D
Oh Arunachala, blazing fire of Jnana, in my heart I pray and think of Thee from afar, root out the ego, merging me in the Self.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 10:56:21 AM »
Dear non duel, srkudai,

Very nice. Sri Bhagavan used to give an example. A husband was reading a newspaper. His wife staying in the kitchen was
talking about the neighbor's husband stating: "He does not care for the family. He does not look after his wife. He does not
earn enough money.  He is a waste....."   The guy reading the newspaper was just hearing his wife's statements and continued
to read the newspaper. The wife wanted to bring his attention to her speech.  She then said: You are also like that fellow only!

The husband left the paper. He looked at her. And then said: What did you say? How dare do you say? Am I like that fellow?
Why are you talking nonsense?.......

That is how "the husband grabbed thoughts" and a war ensued!

Arunachala Siva.   

nonduel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 07:58:32 PM »
nonduel,
      :) very nice!
True, like an image on a screen .

remaining as the screen is all about meditative living... living as self.

The screen is also an appearence in consciousness...and YOU ARE that Consciousness (Self).

Oh Arunachala, blazing fire of Jnana, in my heart I pray and think of Thee from afar, root out the ego, merging me in the Self.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 06:04:41 PM »
Sirs - The eternal question of "seed or tree first" can be answered as Vedanata says only by finding the parama karana of both. I think the answer to the problem posed here is the same. Finding from where both these occur.
Salutations to Bhagawan