Author Topic: How to begin partial surrender and what efforts needed for total surrender  (Read 2330 times)

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
Dear All,
Though the question of us surrendering at the highest level does not arise since as Bhagavan said who is surrendering to whom? .
But at the empirical level how do we begin partial surrender and move on to full surrender.
In addition If I want to make my object of full surrender as Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi ,could some one share (with practical methods)  how to develop the Bhava (if it may be called so) of  partial surrender and move on to complete surrender ,albeit which will happen only with the grace of God.
Regards,
Anand Sundaram.
Sundaram Anand

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: How to begin partial surrender and what efforts needed for total surrender
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 01:16:44 PM »
Dear Ananda Sundaram,

Partial surrender is always with ego, intact.  However Sri Bhagavan had accepted it and recommended it also to begin with.
It is my experience that the partial surrender is always for some worldly benefits, one's one heath, kith and kin's health,
some office promotion, children's education. Some are granted. Some are not granted. You should not become sulky immediately.

Sri Bhagavan has said: It may be that it is for your good that the prayer is not granted.

Pursue your surrender further, regardless of results. At one time you will start feeling that even simple things are taken care
of by Sri Bhagavan, by such surrender. Like a catching a flight for which you have been starting to the airport late, or receiving a
phone call from your daughter or son who is abroad and who has not called you for long.

The lesson is that you should not go by the results by continue your surrender. Surrender is a mighty prayer - says Sri
Bhagavan.

Now, leave alone all worldly things, what is the most important reason for surrender?  Ultimately it turns out to be one's
own death or fear of death or death of a close kith or fear of kith's death  like in Buddha's case.

Sri Bhagavan says: Meditate on Death and that is a mighty weapon for surrender.

When the fear of death catches up and it is staring at you, (   regardless of age; nowadays young persons at the age of
thirty die of heart attack), then the partial surrender starts evolving into full surrender.  No special efforts are needed.
Partial surrender if pursued without a break, will evolve as full surrender, when the ego is submitted to Sri Bhagavan.

Sri Bhagavan told His mother, when she cried and asked Him to return to the home: All things are ordained by the Ordainer.
Whatever you wish not to happen, will happen even if you try to avoid it. Whatever you wish to happen, will not happen,
however much you try it. Hence the best course will be to remain silent (in surrender.)

This is total Saranagati or total surrender. Thereafter, you will say: Nin ishtam, en ishtam. Your Wish is my wish and then do
your duties as guided by Him. Since there is no ego thereafter, you cannot apply your free will at all.

Arunachala Siva.         

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 01:18:32 PM »
Dear Ananda Sundaram,

One gentleman said: I shall light a candle if you give me a job.  In due course, he will say, I shall light a candle everyday!

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 05:26:48 PM »
Yearning for Bhagavan, by itself is, what we can say, partial surrender.

त्वमेव माता च पिता त्वमेव ।
त्वमेव बन्धुश्च सखा त्वमेव ।
त्वमेव विद्या द्रविणम् त्वमेव ।
त्वमेव सर्वम् मम देव देव ॥

You are my Mother, my Father .
You are my Relative, my Friend.
You are my Knowledge, my Wealth.
You are my Everything, my God of Gods.

More so, no to measure, if one has surrendered partially. Just the sincerity, faith, shraddha is required. No matter what our intellect fights, one knows from within, that there is some power above us, which is the source and sustenance of everything.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 07:06:27 PM »
Thanks.Srkudai Sir also mentioned some pitfalls wherein on some days we experience a feel of high due to a feeling of total surrrender only to be back gain where we begun.
How do we remind ourselves   to fall back on our Guru or our Ishta Devta and make   continous progress  ?
Regards,
Anand.
Sundaram Anand

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Why surrender becomes partial? Because our ego juts out its ugly head.  If the ego is completely submitted to Guru or
Godhead,, the surrender becomes complete. Sri Bhagavan approved partial surrender, because one has to start somewhere.
This will blossom into full surrender if the ego is submitted to god or guru. When the train carries 300 persons and their luggage,
why should you carry your suitcase on to your head? Drop it on the train and be free.. Sri Bhagavan said Nin Ishtam, en ishtam.
Your wish is my wish.

Arunachala Siva.     

nonduel

• View Profile
In deep dreamless sleep there is no question of surrender. Then a dream appears and in it I am conscious of being "myself" and having a "body" that goes through many differents experiences. Some are joyous, others nightmares. There's buildings, others individuals with which I interact. In the dream I want to "surrender", I want to have free will etc...

Then "I" awaken!  Where is the surrender for the body in the dream that I took as myself?

It is only a case of mistaken identity.

Self-enquiry, helps one to get of the train of life, like awakening from a dream. You have a choice, getting implicated in maya or abiding in the self.

The little self (mind/ego)cannot surrender, it has no free will whatsoever. It is a thought that surges by itself, that we grab and keep in consciousness. There is the choice!

Do not accept what the mind says. Sri Anamalai..."you are not the mind"
Oh Arunachala, blazing fire of Jnana, in my heart I pray and think of Thee from afar, root out the ego, merging me in the Self.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Friends, I would like to share my thoughts again which I have posted some time back in the following link:

http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=6583.msg22912#msg22912

Please feel free to assimilate what ever is acceptable to your school of thought and your way. The whole idea is to look beyond the thresh hold of mere concepts. We are mostly bogged by various concepts. Concepts are the real Maya, illusions, that we mostly get trapped into!

In this way, we are trying to achieve some impossible concept of Surrender, mostly imaginative. When one truly sees the light of truth, he will realise that there is nothing to surrender really. All talk of surrendering is only maya, illusion. He will see very clearly the Mirage/Maya/Illusion of Surrendering.

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:16:51 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

nonduel

• View Profile
Friends, I would like to share my thoughts again which I have posted some time back in the following link:

http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=6583.msg22912#msg22912

Please feel free to assimilate what ever is acceptable to your school of thought and your way. The whole idea is to look beyond the thresh hold of mere concepts. We are mostly bogged by various concepts. Concepts are the real Maya, illusions, that we mostly get trapped into!

In this way, we are trying to achieve some impossible concept of Surrender, mostly imaginative. When one truly sees the light of truth, he will realise that there is nothing to surrender really. All talk of surrendering is only maya, illusion. He will see very clearly the Mirage/Maya/Illusion of Surrendering.

Salutations to Bhagavan

Yes!  There is nothing to surrender...really!  :)
Oh Arunachala, blazing fire of Jnana, in my heart I pray and think of Thee from afar, root out the ego, merging me in the Self.