Author Topic: vasanakshayam - Freedom from Tendencies  (Read 2682 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
vasanakshayam - Freedom from Tendencies
« on: December 18, 2011, 11:46:07 AM »
Dear Devotees,

All Gurus have clearly re-iterated repeatedly over ages that the destruction or annihilation Vasanakshayam itself is Moksham. This "Moksham" is beyond all religions and philosophies. Moksha is the end of all Religion or belief or Knowledge. Be it any religion, and any faith, annihilation of our tendencies is very essential.

while the famous gospel of Bhagavan to His mother Azhagammal: "The Ordainer controls the fate of souls in accordance with their prarabdhakarma. Whatever is destined not to happen will not happen, try as you may. Whatever is destined to happen will happen, do what you may to prevent it. This is certain. The best course, therefore, is to remain silent.", pertains to the external world of the animate and the inanimate objects that we see, however with regard to the realisation or abidance of Self, Purashkara or effort or Tapas is very essential. Which is why Bhagavan said clearly that the only desire one can have or ought to have is the desire for Self and one has to put his utmost sincere efforts to realise one Self. And, surely the Grace of the Guru is essential above all these!

Only great barrier that all of us face, in-spite of some fleeting glimpses again and again and not being able to remain in that perfect abidance is only because of our tendencies or Vasanas. Our hold or the desires to experience the world is stronger than the desire for Self. Since the glimpses of Self are fleeting and very short, we often side towards the external experiences by default. This is only due to not being able to fully discern the unreality of the experiences of our Vasanas or even better, we are unable to see the REALITY OF THE SELF. We still want to watch that movie/cinema, even though we know for sure that it is unreal! That is the main issue! Perhaps, remotely we can roughly say that, we are watching the movie because, we don't know what to do, or for want of happiness, by a inherent belief that watching the movie would give us happiness atleast for that time.

Every action of ours is purely motivated by the same idea of watching a movie. There is really no purpose as it is known before hand that it is unreal, but still, we are forced to watch the movie only because, we have not yet discerned with absolute certainty the unreality of the Maya or illusion or the REALITY OF SELF. This is Prarabdha Karma. We are bound by our Vasanas.

Along with the annihilation of Vasanas, Prabdha Karma also disappears.

When we say that for a Jnani, there is no prarabha karma, it purely signifies the freedom He is in. He is not bound to act like us who end up watching the movie even after knowing its unreality. Hence, He, a Jnani is absolutely free!

Hence it is so very important to really look deeply and facilitate the annihilation of Vasanas.

I started this thread hoping to look deeply with our insights that would genuinely help each one of us in bringing light in to the darkness of Vasanas.

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 12:30:45 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: vasanakshayam - Freedom from Tendencies
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 01:08:36 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Yes. Vivekachoodamani also  clearly states:

Vasana kshyam moksham.

The innate tendencies or vasanas are the last bridge to cross the ocean of samsara to attain moksha.  Even a single vasana
can give you a rebirth - says Sri Bhagavan.  The famous Jada bharathar had to take birth as a young deer, because during
his last days, he loved a young deer which was left behind, when the mother deer was chased by a tiger, and in a fearful mood
the mother deer ran and fell on a bush and delivered a young baby deer and died. The Rishi took pity on the young new born
deer and was rearing it.  Soon he developed a great love for the deer and while he was about to leave his body, he was thinking
about the baby deer and so he had to take a rebirth as a deer.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 06:21:37 PM »
Yes Subramanian Sir, the story of Jada Bharata is an immortal story for every sadhaka and it illustrates quite point-blank, the importance of really discerning the  nature of Maya which is very subtle but needs to be really looked into by any of the ways, Bhakti, Jnana, Yoga.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 10:20:30 AM »
Bhagavan replies in the "Naan Yaar" or "Who am I?" for a question pertaining to Vasanas.

Is it possible for the residual impressions of objects that come from beginningless time, as it were, to be resolved, and for one to remain as the pure Self?

Without yielding to the doubt “Is it possible, or not?”, one should persistently hold on to the meditation on the Self. Even if one be a great sinner, one should not worry and weep “O! I am a sinner, how can I be saved?”; one should completely renounce the thought “I am a sinner”; and concentrate keenly on meditation on the Self; then, one would surely succeed. There are not two minds - one good and the other evil; the mind is only one. It is the residual impressions that are of two kinds - auspicious and inauspicious. When the mind is under the influence of auspicious impressions it is called good; and when it is under the influence of inauspicious impressions it is regarded as evil.

The mind should not be allowed to wander towards worldly objects and what concerns other people. However bad other people may be, one should bear no hatred for them. Both desire and hatred should be eschewed. All that one gives to others one gives to one’s self. If this truth is understood who will not give to others? When one’s self arises all arises; when one’s self becomes quiescent all becomes quiescent. To the extent we behave with humility, to that extent there will result good. If the mind is rendered quiescent, one may live anywhere.

Again, Bhagavan is very clear that one has to exert oneself, his sincerity, develop bhakti and Vairaagyam in the quest of the Self and the path is definitely tough and says, one should not entertain doubts on the journey and stay focused on the center of our selves and stay consciously vigilant and not get carried away by our emotions and respond instead of reacting for what we give to others, we are actually to ourselves eventually! By not allowing the mind to wander like a pendulum and hold it by sincere effort - Purushkara which is Tapas itself, by realising the true import of the objects that we see - the animate and the inanimate to be only just a projection of our minds, i.e. Maya and not get carried away by the plays of our mind.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 10:23:47 AM »
Yes Subramanian Sir, the story of Jada Bharata is an immortal story for every sadhaka and it illustrates quite point-blank, the importance of really discerning the  nature of Maya which is very subtle but needs to be really looked into by any of the ways, Bhakti, Jnana, Yoga.

Salutations to Bhagavan

Seeing all this,  I am very tired that I may fail many a times.  My heart is weak,  no matter how hard I hit myself,  I only get wounds and bleeding.  I dont want this moksha. I just only want my lust and desires and fears to go away.

I am running far far behind ,  sometimes I go in the reverse way also.  I feel I am not having any progress in anger,  lust, desire and fear. 

My guru Saradamma has to put aside all other constraints and feed moksha into my mouth.  And she must make me swallow it also. Such a herculous task,  a worthy Guru but somehow a worthless disciple for her.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 11:51:33 AM »
Dear Krishnan,

Everybody has their share of Vasanas, be it lust, anger, greed, avarice, Jealousy, etc... if not one, then the other. And, be assured, :) that one is not greater or lesser than the other :)

Yes, it is an herculean taslk, no doubt! But we don't have any other option but to just try, and, try again! Just look at the kind of response Guru Vasishta gives to Sri Rama, from Vaasishtam:

ययैव वेत्सि ततया युक्त्या पुरुषयत्नतः ।
वासनाकुंरनिर्मूलमेतदेव परं शिवं ॥

Rama, in what ever manner you think it is possible to rid of your tendencies (Vasanas, bad desires) whether by Yoga or by means of your manly exertions, you must root every desire from your heart, in order to secure your best welfare (Self)

पौरुषेण प्रयत्नेन यथा जानासि वा तथा ।
निवारयाहंभावांशमेषोऽसौ वासनाक्षयः ॥

Endeavor to the utmost of your manly power, to suppress some portion of your egoism, in order to prevent the rise of selfish passions, and desires within your health.

Whenever, you are caught with any of the Vasanas, just let it come, it is important to not judge yourself at that moment, because, the more we judge ourselves, the vasanas becomes stronger and stronger, instead, recognise that there is a problem on hand, and discern how best you can sort the issue! It may try to persuade you with gimmicks of bliss and happiness if you are willing to become part of it, but do not give into it! That is the secret, it's verily a battleground, resolve yourself with an attitude, "let me see if it is the Vasanas or myself, who will be victorious!" Let it try and do what ever it may want to. The more we restrain ourselves with the weapon of PATIENCE and ENDURANCE, the weaker it becomes, and, when it becomes weaker, you will emerge victorious.

There is an enlightening story from Periyapuranam: Ezhuthachan, a great saint and author, had a few fish concealed on him when he entered the temple. The saint was searched and taken to the king. The king asked him, “Why did you take the fish into the temple?” He replied, “It is not my fault. I had it concealed in my clothes. The others exposed the fish in the temple. The fault lies in exposure. Excreta within the body are not considered filthy; but when excreted, they are considered filthy. So also with this.”

This is such a beautiful story! each of us would have some sort of dirt within ourselves. As long as we are in control of our selves and not letting out the dirty venom from inside no sin or guilt should affect us. once it comes out only then you should feel guilty and atone for your sins.

This story very subtly tells us how to go about in such circumstances. Let the Vasanas remain in mind, do not allow them to exposure, as in, do not give in to your thoughts and act which would mean to react, instead respond to it by means if careful discernment. It is tough, but it is not impossible. Even if one fails 3 times, there is always the 4th time! Try, try, keep trying. As Guru Vaishta and Bhagavan have clearly stated the necessity of Purashkara (effort), exert your utmost discretion, patience and endurance whenever you find yourself caught up with the Vasanas trying to capitalise on you.

Realise that you are the Boss and not the Vasanas, it is possible. Just be, without giving into the Vasanas, how long will it stay? lets stay and see how strong are the vasanas. Most probably, it will be for an hour? few hours? a day, maximum, before it dies.

We all have to fight, the battle of Satwa over Tamas and Rajas

Use the qualities for your own benefit, use Rajas to defeat Tamas, and use Satwa to defeat Rajas and finally, abide in perfect Samadhi  to go beyond even Satwa as well.

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 11:57:09 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 12:08:28 PM »
Dear Krishnan,

Do not be disheartened.  The liberation is not for the seekers who are weak hearted, says Sri Bhagavan. But at the same
time, one can always seek His Grace for overcoming problems that you encounter. 

Once a visitor came to Him/  He started saying: I am worthless. I have committed many sins. I have done hardly any merits
etc.,  Sri Bhagavan said:  Do not be disheartened. Pursue self inquiry.  The visitor was still grumbling that his sins are very
large. Sri Bhagavan said: Then you do one thing. Give me all your merits. Give me all your sins.

The visitor was shocked:  O Bhagavan! To give you all sins!  That is impossible. It will spoil even you.

Sri Bhagavan said: Do not worry. Give me your sins and merits.  Then you will start from  a clean slate. You do self inquiry
then.  The visitor agreed and then said: Now there is a great responsibility on me. I should not do any further sins.

Sri Bhagavan said: Yes. That is the only additional responsibility for you. Otherwise you are fit for liberation.

Sri Ramakrishna also said the same thing to Girish Chanda Ghosh.  Girish was looking crestfallen one day and told Thakur:
Is there a way for this sinner?  Thakur said: Do Japa for half an hour three times a day.  Girish refused saying that it may
not be possible.  Then Thakur asked him to do japa for half an hour once in a day. Girish was straightforward. He said: Thakur,
I cannot even do that.

Thakur said : Then give me power of attorney.  I shall do it for you.  But once you give power of attorney, all that you do or
say is only with my permission.  Girish was a drunkard and also with other habits.  This power of attorney changed him.
He became a highly spiritual man later.

Arunachala Siva.                 

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 11:18:41 AM »
तदागमे हि तद् दृश्यते

Tadaagame Hi Tad Drushyate

Sanskrit has a lot of maxims and they convey highest tatva in smallest words and simplest of examples or analogies.

The maxim of the virtue or characteristic that is acquired and not natural. It takes its origin from the fact that the heated state of oil is due to the action of the fire; therefore heat is not a property of the oil but of the fire.

Therefore, Vasanas can be easily destroyed by the grace of God alone (fire) to try and win over Vasanas only by our own effort is like assuming the heat as the property of oil, where as its of the fire - fire of jnana, grace.

What we need to do is allow ourselves to be heated up by His grace by not assuming that we (oil) can heat ourselves up!

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 11:21:35 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 03:15:45 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Once someone asked Sri Bhagavan whether Self enquiry alone would do for realization. He replied: No. Grace (AruL) is equally
needed. He says AruLum venume... in Atma Vidya Kirtanam. Then someone asked whether Grace alone would do without self
enquiry for realization. Sri Bhagavan said: Yes, sometimes Grace alone takes you to the shore, when one at least has got some
bhakti.  This is clear from Kannappa Nayanar Charitram.

Arunachala Siva.