Author Topic: What happens to the jiva after death?  (Read 13086 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: What happens after death of the jiva?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2011, 02:13:38 AM »

Dear ramana1359,

The Atheists do not believe in a God. Atleast they should believe Truth is God, as Sri Bhagavan said. Hence, atheist cannot
understand religion and pursue their sadhana. But Sri Bhagavan used to say that even atheists do have a guru, a fellow who
had a guru who told him not to believe in the existence of God.  He added, "Let them take that Guru as final Truth and see if
they can succeed." But unfortunately they did not succeed. Great thinkers like Nietzshe, in their old age, felt that their approach
was intrinsically wrong. Ingersoll, the famous atheist is said to have told during his last years, "I am not sure whether I would go
to Hell since all these years I have been denying God's existence."

Pantheists - I think you mean people praying to different gods. If that were to be so, there is nothing wrong. All gods would merge into
one as the time matures and they would stick to one god and they can do surrender.

Occultists are mere magicians. They may get some supra-normal powers but they are all like dreams.  These powers would not
fetch them liberation.

Arunachala Siva.   

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2011, 12:13:58 PM »
I understand what you mean, Subramanian. I share your thoughts. But I want to ask you this question more practically like this. Let tell that you die and you haven't realized the unreality of the world and the Oneness of all. What your consciousness will experience when you die? This question is to all. :)
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2011, 12:21:56 PM »
Dear Ramana,

Firstly, person x is never going to know his death, or can the person x even experience death as death isn't really.

it is only you who will witness the death of person x and not person x

Secondly, whether or not we realise the truth of snake or not in the snake-rope phenomenon, the rope remains, irrespective of our ignorance and our belief that it was a snake!

This question arises because of the notion that there is death. Where is death?

What is Birth and Death really. What dies and takes birth are only thoughts, please read this at leisure http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=2701.msg6219#msg6219

so the question is like asking how did the barren woman's child die and whether that child realise or not realise.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 12:29:50 PM »
Yes. It is. There is no colors too. The color-blind or blind person will never see it but for "normal-sighted" one the color is ever experienced even it's basically unreal. So my question is about experience here. No theories and philosophies but more practicality. There is no doubt that the rope is ever a rope. But what about the people who don't know it. So my question again - what would you think will you experience if you "die" now? What would be the illusory "form" of the rope in your mind?

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 12:36:10 PM »
the truth is -

I am never going to die.

I am only in your mind! So the question directly heads to "Who am I" and "Who is Nagaraj"

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 01:31:43 PM »

Dear ramana,

One can reach liberation even before dying.
One can reach liberation at the time of dying.
If one does not reach liberation, what happens? It is simple. The mind catches hold of prana and get into another womb to play
the game once again. In between what happens? That is between death and rebirth, what happens? No one knows.  Sri
Bhagavan says that it will be long sleep or short sleep. But once you go into deep sleep, do you know whether it was short or long?
It is known only next morning when you wake up.  Here the waking up is rebirth. But unfortunately God had hidden all your
memories of previous births and also the time interval between your last death and present birth.

Then what can one do?

Summa Iru. Be Silent.

Arunachala  Siva.     

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2011, 01:35:56 PM »
One can reach liberation even before dying.
One can reach liberation at the time of dying.
If one does not reach liberation, what happens? It is simple. The mind catches hold of prana and get into another womb to play
the game once again. In between what happens? That is between death and rebirth, what happens? No one knows.  Sri
Bhagavan says that it will be long sleep or short sleep. But once you go into deep sleep, do you know whether it was short or long?
It is known only next morning when you wake up.  Here the waking up is rebirth. But unfortunately God had hidden all your
memories of previous births and also the time interval between your last death and present birth.

So of the point of view of the jivas death is nihilism.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 01:45:16 PM »

Dear ramana,

Death is not nihilism. It anrivachaneeyam, the one which cannot be discerned at all.
But comparing death and birth to sleep states, has been done by many saint poets.
Saint Tiruvalluvar has said about this 2200 years back. In fact saints have wanted death
so that they can attain God.  Saint Manikkavachagar says: How long I, blind cow be going
behind   others? I shall not want this body-life. Give me the light-life, that is liberation.   

Neil Armstrong the first man who landed on the moon 1969 replied as:

(for a question - What will happen if you die there in the orbit?)

Neil Armstrong: Nothing. What can be done several miles over there in the space?
My wife will cry. The government would call it COLLATERAL DAMAGE !

Arunachala Siva. 

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2011, 01:51:19 PM »
I wanted to say that for jiva death is like nihilism because when it wakes up it will not remember anything. For jiva only a world with objects is real. All other is nonexistent. For "awaken" jiva the dreamless sleep is like nihilism. That's why I expressed like that saying that death is nihilism.

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
Re: What happens to the jiva after death?
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 01:55:54 AM »
what happens at death is that the body stops working , the mind stops telling the story of who it is and so who you think you are is also stopped . who you really are remains UNCHANGED , because who we really are is awareness itself . but why wait until death of the body if you can stop telling the story of the self now while you're alive and know the truth of who you really are without the stories ?  do you want truth or do you want to keep telling stories ?  it's that simple   :)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: What happens to the jiva after death?
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2012, 01:50:03 PM »
Dear Beloved Abstract,

Yes. What you tell is the story of Jivan Mukta for whom there is no mind and ego. But most of us are not Jivan Muktas. We may
at best, if our sadhana reaches the goal, attain Vidhea Mukti. But for still others, mind carries the prana and leaves the body
and catches another body. During the interval of one death and another birth, the mind is said to be dangling in akasa, waiting
for another body to go into.

Arunachala Siva.