Author Topic: Health tips for pre diabetics / impaired glucose tolerance  (Read 4764 times)

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
Health tips for pre diabetics / impaired glucose tolerance
« on: November 26, 2011, 10:16:48 PM »
Dear Friends,
Are there are any home made remedies which can be tried for pre diabetics / impaired glucose tolerance before full fledged medicines which become unescapable once full blown diabetes sets in and which even have  potential to cure the pre diabtetes condition.
Members in the know to kindly suggest along with some other tips,besides walking which is generally recommended.
Regards,
Anand Sundaram.
Sundaram Anand

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
Re: Health tips for pre diabetics / impaired glucose tolerance
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 10:30:07 PM »
Dear Friends,
Kindly also add any suggestions for people  with mild hypertension (bp) along with  pre diabetics / impaired glucose tolerance in conjunction.
Thanks,
Anand Sundaram.
Sundaram Anand

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 01:31:39 PM »
Methi is good for pre diabetics. Chewing the seed of Jamun (Naval pazham in tamil) can bring down the sugar level.

For hyper tension better to avoid red chillies. Pepper is good for health.

Fiber vegetables, green leaves  help lot.

Ramanaduli

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 03:17:46 AM »
Sorry for so late answer. Have you still this prediabetic state?
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.php

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 06:23:26 AM »
Sir,
Yes.I have been advised to stay off direct sugar.I am also mildly hypertensive though doctor said that if i am careful in restricting oil intake(avoiding fried items ) and salt intake (avoiding papads,pickles)and doing regular exercise , i may be able to avoid in future  the current anti hypertension medicine that i am taking now.Any suggestions in this regard will be most helpful to me ,thanks.
Regards,
Anand.
Sundaram Anand

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 06:30:41 AM »
Dear Anand,

You can take bitter gourd curry at least twice a week, slightly fried and less salted, along with your rice or chapattis.
This is for sugar control.

Arunachala Siva.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 11:32:25 AM »
Sir,
Yes.I have been advised to stay off direct sugar.I am also mildly hypertensive though doctor said that if i am careful in restricting oil intake(avoiding fried items ) and salt intake (avoiding papads,pickles)and doing regular exercise , i may be able to avoid in future  the current anti hypertension medicine that i am taking now.Any suggestions in this regard will be most helpful to me ,thanks.
Regards,
Anand.

Dear Sri Anand, I have some questions for you
1. Is there other members in your family with diabetes?
2. How this prediabetic state was diagnoses - by simple fasting glucose test in the morning or by glucose tolerance test?
3. How much was your glucose? Have you measured your LDL, HDL cholesterol, triglycerides?
4. Do you have hypoglycemia crises - craving for something sweet, shakiness, anxiety, tachycardia, palpitations, feeling of pins and needles?
5. Do you take any medications? List them all. This is important.
6. When your hypertension started? What are the highest and  the average values of your blood pessure. The most correct measurement is in the morning, just after you wake up, before rise from the bed, without taking any food.
7. Are there close relatives who have high blood pressure also?
8. What are you working?
9. What is your typical diet? Are you vegeterian?
10. What is your physical activity?
11. What is your age?
12. What is your height and weight?

If you want you can answer me in personal message. You can do it here also, for helping the other people with this problem who read this.

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 06:53:45 PM »
Sir,
Thanks for your help.The relevant data is given here(results before I begun a regime of avoiding oily feeds and avoiding direct sugary items ,with regular exercise ) and I hope that your advice will help others as well.

Dear Sri Anand, I have some questions for you
1. Is there other members in your family with diabetes?//Yes  My father had while my mother is having diabetes.
2. How this prediabetic state was diagnoses - by simple fasting glucose test in the morning or by glucose tolerance test?//By simple fasting and post porondial testing along with HB1AC.
3. How much was your glucose? Have you measured your LDL, HDL cholesterol, triglycerides?101 fasting and 143 post porondial.LDL was 110,HDL was 40 mg/dL,triglycerides was 147.
4. Do you have hypoglycemia crises - craving for something sweet, shakiness, anxiety, tachycardia, palpitations, feeling of pins and needles?//Yes but not too acute a craving.
5. Do you take any medications? List them all. This is important.//Only Tazloc 20 for BP.
6. When your hypertension started? What are the highest and  the average values of your blood pessure. The most correct measurement is in the morning, just after you wake up, before rise from the bed, without taking any food.
It was around the 120/80 m about 1-2 months back with the medication .I will take new readings and revert.
7. Are there close relatives who have high blood pressure also?//No unlike diabetes , my relatives do not high BP,in fact my mother and spouse both have low bp.
8. What are you working?//It is like a project co-ordinator but dealing with execution of product business.
9. What is your typical diet? Are you vegeterian?// Vegetarian with rice,vegetable ,curry ,curd  and chapati in the mornings and generally upma /pongal and occasionally rice with rasam/curd and curry  in the evenings.
10. What is your physical activity?//I play badminton with my son for about 15 minutes everyday and on those days when I dont play with him go for a 15-20 minutes walk.
11. What is your age?44.
12. What is your height and weight// 5 ft 5 inches and weight about 64 kg.

Thanks and regards,
Anand .
Sundaram Anand

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 07:44:24 PM »
Dear Sri Anand, I would say in short for beginning these things:
1. You have strong genetic predisposition for diabetes type 2.
2. Your HDL is low, LDL and triglycerides - high. You can rise your HDL by aerobic exercises, cutting alcohol (if you consume), stop smoking! (if you do), don't use trans fatty acids which are contained in the margarine, eat foods high in fibers - wholesome bread, fruits (kiwi, apple, berries and so on)
3. Your high blood pressure is well-controlled!
4. Your diet is not good for this condition. Vegan diet is very difficult for diabetics or prediabetic state (which is actually insulin resistance) because it is mainly consisted from carbohydrates. You must shun all foods with high glycemic index (white bread, spaghetti from white bread, cakes, biscuits, etc), it is recommended fruits and vegetables with the fibres in them! You must consume much proteins during eat meal. Best is the cottage cheese and cheese in general, eggs (especially the whites), you must eat seeds (almonds, sunflower seeds, etc). Best for you is the so called "The Zone diet". But it is very difficult to follow because you must calculate the quantity of the foods you eat very strictly, every meal. I think you may find the book in Internet. Please read it from the beginning to the end. It is completely scientific. This diet however difficult can be applied for vegetarians also. But this diet is very, very important and helpful for diabetes and prediabetic conditions.
5. If you drink coffee I advise you to stop it or to reduce it to 1 a day. The coffeine increases the insulin intolerance. This means actually to eliminate or at least to reduce all foods which contain coffeine - coffee, green and black tea and all chocolate containing foods.
6. Yes, your glucose level are high but not abnormal. This is exactly a prediabetic state. May be by "post porondial" you meant actually "post prandial", e.g. after eating. If it is so, yes, this also indicates prediabetic condition but it is not bad so calm down. :)

I hope that was helpful for you. It is very difficult for me to explain some of the things in English because this is not my maternal language and I don't know it very much but I hope that you understood me. There is another diet which is has helped many people but I cannot recommend it because I think it would be dangerous without doctor supervision.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 07:46:42 PM by Hari »