Author Topic: Scriptural textbook/dictionary  (Read 7995 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Sanskrit textbook/dictionary
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 01:36:24 PM »
Ramana/Nagaraj/Friends,
An excerpt from The Gospel of sri Ramakrishna:
God-vision through pure love
MR. CHOUDHURY: "How can one see God?"
MASTER: "Not with these eyes. God gives one divine eyes; and only then can one behold
Him. God gave Arjuna divine eyes so that he might see His Universal Form.
"Your philosophy is mere speculation. It only reasons. God cannot be realized that way.
"God cannot remain unmoved if you have raga-bhakti, that is, love of God with passionate
attachment to Him. Do you know how fond God is of His devotees' love? It is like the
cow's fondness for fodder mixed with oil-cake. The cow gobbles it down greedily.
"Raga-bhakti is pure love of God, a love that seeks God alone and not any worldly end.
Prahlada had it. Suppose you go to a wealthy man every day, but you seek no favour of
him; you simply love to see him. If he wants to show you favour, you say: 'No, sir. I don't
need anything. I came just to see you.' Such is love of God for its own sake. You simply
love God and don't want anything from Him, in return."
Saying this, the Master sang:
Though I am never loath to grant salvation,
I hesitate indeed to grant pure love.
Whoever wins pure love surpasses all;
He is adored by men;
He triumphs over the three worlds. . . .
He continued, "The gist of the whole thing is that one must develop passionate yearning for
God and practise discrimination and renunciation."

Namaskar.

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 05:54:03 PM »
Whoever wins pure love surpasses all;

Very powerful and true words!
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 02:13:23 PM »
Mukti or Moksha - liberation, emancipation, salvation from samsara by realizing the Self
Samsara - repeated cycle of birth and death
Viveka - discrimination between what is real and what is not
Vairagya - dispassion
Mumukshutva - earnest and strong desire for liberation
Prema - Love
Seva - selfless service, service without expectation of its fruits
Atma - soul; often used to describe the Self, the Supreme Soul in everything
Paramatma - the Supreme Soul
Saguna Brahman = Ishvara - Brahman (God) with qualities (Name, Form and so on); He is the Creator, Sustainer and Destructor of the worlds
Nirguna Brahman - Brahman without qualities; the Absolute; the Self

It would be appreciated if everyone participates in putting the most common words used in Scriptures and explain them, no matter from what language they come from but it would be nice if you mark if the word is not from Sanskrit.

Hari

• View Profile
Re: Scriptural textbook/dictionary
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 02:42:44 PM »
Vasanas - the impressions remaining in the mind; we may be aware of them or they may be stored in our subconsciousness
Samskaras, Sanskaras - the imprints left on the subconscious mind by experience in this or previous lives, which then color all of life, one's nature, responses, states of mind, etc. (source: wikipedia)
Bhagavan - the Supreme Personal God; But Bhagavata Purana gives also such explanation: "The Learned Know the Absolute Truth call this nondual substance Brahman, Paramatma or Bhagavan". In Vishnu Purana it is stated: "The Supreme Personality Who possesses all riches, all strength, all fame, all beauty, all knowledge and all renunciation is called Bhagavan. There are many persons who are very rich, very powerful, very beautiful, very famous, very learned, and very much detached, but no one can claim that he possesses all riches, all strength, etc., entirely."
Purusha - it is another world for Paramatma, the Supreme Soul, often used in Bhagavad Gita; It is also considered as the "Cosmic man". This idea is very deeply rooted in the ancient cultures. One example of that is the Norse story about the Giant Ymir from whose body God Odin, Vili and Ve have created the universe.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 02:52:27 PM »
Sraddha means also Faith with Love, respect and reverence to God and Guru (Sat).
Puja can also be translated as "ritual". This is the traditional meaning of the word.

Thank you, Sri Tushnim.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 03:24:51 PM »
Yes, Sri Tushnim
but would you agree that every Shradhha in the beginning is "blind faith" because you have not any experience of what God or Guru teaches you.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 03:42:17 PM »
So what is the Sanskrit word for belief?

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 04:01:14 PM »
Hari/Friends,
An Excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
"Once a man was about to cross the sea. Bibhishana wrote Rama's name on a leaf, tied it in
a corner of the man's wearing-cloth, and said to him: 'Don't be afraid. Have faith and walk
on the water. But look here - the moment you lose faith you will be drowned.' The man was
walking easily on the water. Suddenly he had an intense desire to see what was tied in his
cloth. He opened it and found only a leaf with the name of Rama written on it. 'What is
this?' he thought. 'Just the name of Rama!' As soon as doubt entered his mind he sank under
the water."

Namaskar.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 04:04:30 PM »
The attitude of a person who wants to know the Truth should be "Ok, ill try and find out. Ill first give him the benefit of doubt and inquire if what he says is true". This attitude is Sradha.

Dear Tushnim,
I have always thought that Shraddha is strong belief in the words of the chosen Guru even if you are not convinced in them because of your own experience. If I don't believe 'blindly' (without experience) of what the Guru teaches me then I would be deeply in doubt, so Faith is not very correct term here. And if for example I follow 50 years the teachings of Lord Ramana and I don't realize who am I then should I doubt in His words and the Truth He has preached? And was my belief without realizing the Self these 50 years would be considered Shraddha or just vishvasa? To realize the Self you cannot just try, to find out, like from curiosity if the Self is real. This is not something which happens for 1 day or an year. It may be last all life. So if Shraddha is only when you prove to yourself that Self is real then no sadhaka has Shraddha. If I have not understood you right, please elucidate.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 04:10:45 PM »
Hari,
Yes,you are absolutely Right.Shraddha means Diligence -means assiduos application of oneself with complete attention and steadfastness along the lines indicated by The Guru.This necessarily includes Faith as well.More later;Short of time :)
Namaskar.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 04:36:06 PM »
Dear Hari ji,
         Ravi ji has explained it really well: "Shraddha means Diligence -means assiduos application of oneself with complete attention and steadfastness along the lines indicated by The Guru."

and thats what I said about Sradha: proper attitude for the inquiry. Its not "just belief"! This just belief is merely "intellectual laziness", nothing more.

Yes. Said this way I agree. For me Shraddha is doing what God/Guru teaches you with strong faith and diligence and without any doubt.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 04:50:45 PM »
Dear Hari,

For me Shraddha is doing what God/Guru teaches you with strong faith and diligence and without any doubt.

:) First understanding what the guru said and why. The true guru is not asking you do "do" anything. Just Be, what is there to do ? :). Please understand... Please ponder. That done ... rest will follow.

Of course. If understanding was not necessary then why would people need Guru? Guru is the Logos. Guru is not asking you anything. He just teaches you. Everything other depends on you. And I cannot agree that He does not teach you to do nothing. True Guru teaches His students to be good, the help others, to do some sadhanas. Even Lord Ramana has taught Self-inquiry which He Himself has said that at least in the beginning it is done with efforts (so doing is apparent). Doing stops when you realize that you are not the doer.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2012, 05:38:01 PM »
Adi shankarA explains what is shradDha in vivEkachUDAmaNi

शास्त्रस्य गुरुवाक्य सत्यबुद्ध्यवधारणम् ।
सा श्रद्धा कथिता सद्भिर्यया वस्तूपलभ्यते ॥२५॥

shAstrasya guruvAkya satyabudDhyadhAraNam
sA shradDhA kathithA sadbhiryayA vastUpalabhyate 25

The True reflection and concentration on the words of the scriptures and the Guru is shradDha as told by the wise, by which alone the the true-objective could be gained.

shAstra - the scriptures
Guru - Master
vAkya - the words or expressions
satya - True
budDhya - intellectual exercise, the ability to grasp
dhAraNam - contemplation, understanding, reasoning, reflection,
sA - that is
shradDhA - faith
kathithA - as told
sadbhir - the wise
yayA - through which, or by which
vastu - the end objective, that is Truth in this case
upa - could be
labhyate - gained

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2012, 06:02:50 PM »
Dear Sri Tushnim,

when we take Sradha to mean srat-dadhati-iti-sradha ... that which leads to "SAT", srat is satya nama.. same as SAT. So SAT Buddhi is basically to say a "IS-ness" , "Being-ness". One has to have a attitude which allows one to "See" what the teacher is showing. if one does not "See" and just keeps repeating what the teacher is saying or even rejects what the teacher is showing its not sradha.

This very spirit is internalized in the gAyatri mantra, what is more special is that, gAyatri mantra itself is teacher as well, and gAyatri mantra  itself shows asking to be seen, perhaps, may be we can say, another name of gAyatri is also sradDha.

If this is well discerned, every sAdhanA itself is Self Enquiry.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2012, 06:10:07 PM »
If this is well discerned, every sAdhanA itself is Self Enquiry.

Congratulations for this conclusion!