Author Topic: Scriptural textbook/dictionary  (Read 7642 times)

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
Scriptural textbook/dictionary
« on: November 25, 2011, 10:03:19 AM »
What means these names of the Lord:

Gopala
Vasudeva
Govinda
Hrishikesha
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 02:13:58 PM by Hari »
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.php

Hari

• View Profile
Re: Sanskrit textbook/dictionary
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 11:23:09 AM »
What mean garu and leela?

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 11:49:24 AM »
  • Gopala - Go (Cow) Pala (Palaka) caretaker or Cowherd
  • Vasudeva - Vasu (indwelling) Deva (God almighty)
  • Govinda - Giving the nectar of satisfaction to the senses. When the Asuras and Devas were churning the ocean, and were perplexed as to who would hold the huge Mandara mountain which they decided to use for churning the ocean with the help of Vasuki snake. When Vishnu appeared as Kurma Avatara as a tortoise and carried the the Mandara mountain upon himself, the Devas and Asuras praised with ecstasy "Govinda, Govinda"
  • Hrishikesha - Hreeshi = Hrishk (Senses) Eesha (Lord) Lord of Senses

Leela is "Divine Play"

I dont get what you meant by  "garu" in what context is it used!

friends, do correct me if i may be wrong.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 11:57:33 AM »
Dear ramana,

There is a Telugu usage 'garu', which is only a respectful epithet added to a name of a great person.  Ramu - Ramugaru.
Nagaraj - Nagaraj garu. It is something like Esq., used in classical English times.  Esq., means Esquire which is a word
of respect and adoration.

Arunachala Siva. 

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 12:03:16 PM »
Thanks to both of you for your replies!

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 09:11:39 PM »
What's the meaning and what are the roots of the words "sattva", "rajas", "tamas"?

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
I and I am sure many other members here will be grateful if you post some common Sanskrit words and explain them because I have noticed that you use such very often and many of us who don't know Sanskrit well cannot always understand exactrly what you mean. Thanks in advance to everyone!

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 10:52:44 AM »
Please, translate these Names of the Lord as Sri Nagaraj had done above in this topic.

Keshava
Madhusudana
Madhava
Varshneya
Janardana

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 11:25:10 AM »
Keshava - One who is having beautiful hair

Madhusudana - Slayer of the demon Madhu (Madhusadana has the ability to destroy this ego with knowledge) Madhu also means Honey, which is very sweet, and it could also represents our ego, mind, by which we get carried away, and get swayed by it, so it also represents killing of the ego.

Madhava - son or descendant of madhu - The Yadava race, to the caste which Krishna belonged to.

Varshneya - Currently don't know, will get back to you.

Janardana - the tormentor of people (ego, I). the one who is sought after by people for liberation.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 11:51:40 AM »
Dear Ramana,

Regarding the name Janardhana, which literally means, one who torments people, in the vedic way, we don't have a separate evil outside of that which is, God, Self, Atma. There is no concept of Demon, Satan, Devil. We believe in one source, which is both the source of angel and devil. We believe that even the devil also sources back to the same Self, God, the same source. Therefore, when we say, the same self is in everybody, the same atma in everybody, it is all inclusive, even the enemy, even the bad, even the ugly, even in our excreta, everything is Him, and not just the beautiful flower, not just the peace, serenity, even tsunami would be considered the Lords play. Such is the tradition. In this context, I share with you this story:

In Brihadaranyaka Upanishad, the Asuras, Devas and Suras(humans) were very dissatisfied even though they had everything in abundance, the Devas had lot of money and enjoyments, the Asuras were doing good winning a lot of kingdoms, and the Suras(humans) were also harvesting nice crops. They all felt discontent and representatives of Asura, Devas and Suras went to Brahma and prayed for salvation from their wretchedness and then Brahma uttered three letters Da, Da, Da and vanished. The Asuras, Suras and Devas were confused as to what the words of Brahma meant! Then they returned back to their homes and began to ponder and contemplate on the Holy words of Brahma. And then finally they understood what it meant.

For Asuras, 'Da' meant Daya - to show Compassion and stop harassing people
For Suras, 'Da' meant 'Daana' - to give, to share what they have amongst fellow human beings
For Devas, 'Da' menat 'Daama' - to be content(to show restraint) - to be happy with what ever they have and not crave for more of the same luxuries.

Asuras, Suras and Devas had grown discontent because, they became greedy, inhuman and full of pride. and by this they realised the truth of their nature.

Those days, we have read in puranas that Asuras used to drop meat in yajnas and homas and spoil the tapas of Sadhus. Today it is our minds that drop in the fowl thoughts and desires that stop us from our performance of Tapas.

In these days,

Asuras, Suras and Devas are not separate! The Devas (goodness) and Asuras(Badness) are within ourselves and all the good and bad fight within ourselves, we Suras, should be wise and follow all the three upadesa of Brahma - Da Da Da - Daya, Daana and Daama

All is within oneself, The Angel, the Devil, the Human.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 12:22:06 PM »
Thank you very much, Sri Nagaraj. The cause for what you said is that Christian and Muslim world is extreme dualistical. The source of good is God, the source evil is from Satan (Devil) or Sheitan as muslims call it. Now there is many christians and muslims who do not accept this view. But I would ask christian and muslims why when they are in some kind of trouble they pray Lord to rescue them. If God is the source of good, then why they don't pray to Him only when they want something good? :) If God is all-powerful and all-knowing then why He is betrayed by Satan and He allowed him and allow him even now to deceive the world and people. I am sure the christian and muslims would not tell you or they you tell you something very shallow as explanation. When you don't accept reincarnation you must give some explanation at least. And this extreme duality is abrahamic religion's explanation. Because nobody don't want to blame his mistakes but to project them to somebody else. Even Hinduism makes this - shifting everything upon God. That's why I participated so ardently in Free will and Destiny topic. The lack of responsibility is not wise solution at all. When you say that you have no free will and God do whatever He does to you only because He wills it is the same as the christian statement that there is no reincarnation and karma and everything is because Lord wants it. These two statements just destroy religion and all justice. Thank you again, Sri Nagarajji.

Best wishes, ramana1359

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 06:42:36 PM »
Dear Ramana,

It gives me immense joy :) , Ramana, to have known you, friend, a christian who is so liberal and open, and, I admire your understandings of the Bible. I have seen so many quotes in your Topic, Bible in Advaitic light, that are absolutely no difference to what Krishna or Vedas have to say.

There is only one religion, the religion of love. (satya sai baba)

:) Satsang!

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 06:52:14 PM »
and regarding this freewill destiny, i am of the view that one who says there is freewill, one who says everything is predestined, both are doomed. truly speaking, i don't know. This much is really clear.

If i see that i can save an ant or cockroach which is struggling in water, i save it. and if i cannot, then that too, i accept it.

the fact, i realise, is i am too insignificant in the scheme of the unknown.

yes, sometimes, i do experience, some closeness with some higher power, some times, i do get desperate and pray with great fervor. some times i go get bored, i take break from all these.

that thing i notice is that that higher power, be it my own Self, God, what ever, is very benevolent, he or That loves you or itself UNCONDITIONALLY. That higher power does not get angry and curses you for being arrogant, for being egoistic, stupidity. That higher power is thousands of mothers put together.

i bow to that supreme compassion embodiment

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 09:15:46 PM »
Thank you for your kind words, Sri Nagarajji.

The lack of responsibility is not wise solution at all. When you say that you have no free will and God do whatever He does to you only because He wills it is the same as the christian statement that there is no reincarnation and karma and everything is because Lord wants it. These two statements just destroy religion and all justice

Just wanna clear this statement of mine. I mean that everything is God's given but it is not just because He wants it. God's Wil about us is not arbitrary. It is because the choice we have made.

What you say is the most important thing - to love each other. For me Love is the Supreme. Love is the true liberation. Love is the Heart. Love is the Lord. Love is the Self. But UNCONDITIONAL LOVE! ! ! When everything is Love - every action - eating, cooking, playing, walking, talking, everything, every thoughts. There is no duality! Love is everything. You don't see objects. Love is the Supreme happiness all are looking for. It is the core message of every great religion. When you experience UNDCONDITIONAL LOVE even for one second you will suddenly realize that THIS IS WHAT YOU WERE LOOKING FOR ALL LIFE. In this second you don't think about anything - about advaita, religion, philosophies or whatever. You are WHOLE and COMPLETE. You don't dream about liberation, mukti, salvation because in this very second YOU ARE THAT. How can this moment be explained. IT CANNOT. IT JUST MUST BE LIVED!

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 08:33:32 AM »
Dear Ramana,

Yes, Love, is the scarcest article today. Everybody in the world is deprived of love. All hate only springs only out of lack of love, out of not being loved, not being listened to.

The easiest commodity available today is advise. Free Advise, is the worst thing one can do to anybody. Instead, if we can hold hands of the desperate ones, just the silence of concern, love is enough to heal the world.

(LOVE seeks no reward; LOVE is its own reward) The more love we give out, the more love we become ourselves. Love itself is Self.

(Note: Love, may not be referred to baser love here, love represents the highest compassion, Ananda, Love itself is Self)

Anbe Sivam - Love/Compassion itself is Siva, Self, God

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 08:35:39 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta